Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Odd that there's so many "part" stories, I remember one of the things he use to pride the show on being was the lack of continuity.

Eh whatever, Louie's gonna louie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The first episode was okay, although I really wish they didn't do another poker table scene and overall it seemed kinda generic. But the second episode is a classic.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

They revisited it before in Season 3 for the father episode, but in that case it worked out great because you're thinking "Oh I guess they're going to have another neat or insightful conversation" and instead it's cut short because Louie's vomiting on everything.

But in this case it's just... Another poker scene.

That first episode was kinda like that a lot, sort of just rehashing old concepts: Poker scene, rear end in a top hat doctor, awkwardly asking store employees for sex things.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 7, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Wasn't that kind of the point, though? Every scene was a rehash of something Louie has done before, but set in a kind of heightened reality. Garbagemen don't actually crash through your windows, people don't masturbate 8 times a day in their 40s and little old ladies with walkers don't lift strange fat men off the street.
Yeah, but it was material that was already done on the show. It was fun, but nothing really new. The second episode was amazing though.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

It felt like "hey, remember what Louie's like, guys? It's been a while since this show has been on, so here's what I typically do"... before structuring the rest of the season as very atypical Louie.
The official plot synopsis for the first episode was "Louie has a typical day." And that really fit the episode. It felt like a warm up after a long hiatus.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 7, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

That was a drat good episode. drat good.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

PotatoJudge posted:

Jane is the best
Louie's younger daughter? Yeah. No doubt she's going to have a fantastic career in her future.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Sometimes you just got to bail out.

edit: Ah, happy ending!

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 13, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I don't know about the "Hey just lose some weight you fat rear end in a top hat" argument. For some people (especially when you get older) you become a slave to habit and impulse, and it's kinda hard to break out of that cycle enough to make a significant change to your body. I think that's what the Bobby part of that episode was about, they wanted to start losing weight and all it lead to was them pigging out and saying "eeeh maybe later."

Not trying to be a fat apologist nor do I want this thread to descend into that debate, but Louis C.K. himself is a pretty paunchy guy who has really horrible eating habits (and actually works out a lot to support those eating habits) and I'm guessing he'd disagree that it's that simple.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 13, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Louie was so happy that holding her hand was the right thing to do.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I think Louis C.K. wrote the rant to try and tell the audience something about uh, everything you guys pointed out about societies view on fat women. Stuff a lot of viewers probably haven't even considered, like that "human being" scene.

I think he surrounded them with joggers and people exercising to also mock that speech, and himself.

I think it's a complicated episode that's worth eighty posts of discussion.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

nutranurse posted:

I completely forgot that Louie cast a black lady as his ex-wife, what was his reasoning for that again? Just because?
From what I remember what Louie said on O&A, it's because she nailed the audition (I think for the talk show arc?) perfectly.

He said that if he discovered her earlier, the kids would've been casted to reflect as such. But he didn't, so there you go.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

ozza posted:

Here's a good chat with Louis from Opie & Anthony a few years back, in which he talks about the theme song - it's a pretty interesting story. The song discussion starts at about 30 mins in, but if you're interested in the production of the show, the whole segment is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izX44iTNO8k
You can find a collection of all the O&A shows that Louie has been on and I suggest listening to them all. He kills it on every one, and you learn a bit about him.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 15, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Louie's facial expressions during that whole hairdryer segment was great.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Wow, in the previous seasons they had Jane randomly speaking Hungarian and playing professional level violin just as some random or surreal gag. I wonder if it was all leading up to this?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

hcreight posted:

There's really a more concerted effort to give the show continuity than there's been in the previous seasons.
I was going to say. It seems like it's taking bits of the previous season and trying to weave them in a way that gives the show actual continuity and feel a bit realer.

Which is odd, because it not having continuity was one of the things Louis C.K. really liked talking about.

edit: Also that doctor rules, holy poo poo.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 20, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Don't you diss the White Album. >=(

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I never thought of the Elevator episodes as aimless. A whole lot of Louie episodes are structured as "Event occurred, now it's over. Move on to the next bit." Except this time around the universe that episode occurred in still exists, and now the episodes are making callbacks that heighten the show instead of simply being "hey guys remember?!"

edit: Also the whole season so far (outside of the first episode) seems to be Louie's inability to communicate with the women in his life. The model didn't understand how much Louie hated tickling, he said a stupid lie to a fat lady, he either won't talk to his ex-wife about Jane or he gets too emotional when he does, and now the woman he's in love with literally does not speak his language.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 23, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

So wait, in the flashback is ex-wife is white? :psyduck:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

AIDS!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

AIDS.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

so do we know what she said?
I believe she said "AIDS!" at the end of the conversation.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

The first episode is now an instant fave. I loved the scene with the... marital counselor? "Janet on the other hand is more practical and less guided by her feelings." :smith:
Yeah, that whole scene was great. Louie shouting, the counselor being as intelligent as a five-year-old, Janet seemingly getting miffed at that statement.

Also I think even though Louie said that Janet is black because her actress is simply a stellar performer, I don't think it's the case anymore - Why would he cast her younger self as white again? That actress wasn't stellar, by all means. Visual gag? It'd be a cheap one if it was. Maybe present Janet being black and past Janet being white is suppose to mean she's a different person now, right?

or maybe it's a cheap visual gag and Louie's a hack, I dunno

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 27, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

cheerfullydrab posted:

This show doesn't have continuity like you imagine.
I can't wait to see what happens in Elevator Part Six and what the next three episode plot arc will be.

But this isn't even being about things being different or not between episodes, both actresses are in the same episode. Louie even added in the cigarette gesture to let the audience know that even though she is white now, she's the same character. Louie's unafraid of being deliberate and bogging the show a bit down in details this season, and Louie is also a show about visual metaphors and symbolism to get across to the audience what's going on in Louie's head.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 27, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

entropy posted:

I kept waiting for some interesting twist to it all, and it basically just ended up being "she left, he's sad". If it was just one or two scenes, I could get behind that, but this was the finale of a six-part episode, and the conclusion just felt really underwhelming.
Her leaving was always the inevitable, but I thought it resolved well why her attitude changed after they had sex.

Also the hurricane climax was pretty great, with the drama cut with the surreal exaggerations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I really wish they didn't show episode 9 and 10 back to back, because episode 9 was this simultaneous heart-warming and breaking conclusion to a love story and episode 10's ending is just duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. :stare:

Could've you at least make me feel a little good about Louie for a week? Is that too much to ask?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 3, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Thinking back on it, the stand-up bit in the middle of episode 10 is probably the most on point one this season. What with the whole "Oh, you're 28 and you think you are already locked in for heaven?" and the bit about the abuse of women.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Actually Pamela parts 2 and 3 are the final episodes.

In the Woods parts 1 and 2 might be a story arc... within a story arc? Or they're unrelated and Louis C.K. just wants that scene to hang in the air for a while.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

No Wave posted:

Who in America doesn't take domestic violence against women seriously? I can't think of anyone I know who isn't viscerally shocked at the sight of a man hitting a woman. People gasped in horror at Wolf of Wall Street, a movie in which a plane blows up for laughs.

If you want to talk about feminism on the show, talk about how useless his ex-wife was when push came to shove during the hurricane.
I dunno, Chris Brown is still popular (or even moreso) and everyone laughed at Jay Z for not punching a woman. Bill Burr does a bit about mocking people against hitting women. If you trek to more uh, "conservative" places you'll definitely see people trying to make an argument for domestic abuse. Saying that domestic violence is dead kinda seems like saying Racism is dead. On the surface the status quo seems appalled by such ideas, but if you dig a little deeper... eh... Maybe this is something worth asking in Debate and Discussion though.

also here's an article about the whole rape thing:

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/louis-ck-rape-scene-pamela-part-one

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 4, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

And it's the result of Louie channeling the negative emotions of Amia leaving onto her.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 4, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

When I first saw the scene, I was simply shocked. But when you let it sit with you and you look back throughout the season, it's wasn't out of nowhere. It was very real, this poo poo does happen, women do get raped by their male friends. And unlike a rape scene where a woman is assaulted by some random monster, Louie took his time building a situation where it can occur by this seemingly normalish guy to his friend.

To paraphrase the stand-up bit beforehand. "You're only 28 and you think you're already locked in for heaven?"

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 4, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

"There’s some episodes that are just like, let's really get some basic laughs with some of these. It was fun to go back to that. And then there's other stories that, it's just gonna piss you off. I have a stomachache about [one episode in particular]."

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The surreal bits in the show are usually (always?) either exaggerations of what is going on to show us Louie's mindspace, or gags to make us chuckle.

That scene wasn't a gag, and Louie definitely wasn't thinking of himself as the creepy pathetic monster he was being right then and there. He was trying to be assertive and came off as pathetic and whiney, where the only real way he was dominating that situation was with being physically stronger than she was.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

A Boring Story posted:

I definitely wouldn't call that scene out of left field. The main theme of this season so far is how men (Louie, specifically in this case) generally can't communicate with women and have no idea what effect they're having on them. Put the scene with Pamela in the context of Louie trying to gently wake Amia up during their first meeting, and ending up getting chased out of her apartment while she panics and screams at him. Or when he thought he was being polite by telling Vanessa that she wasn't fat, only to accidentally touch a nerve and have her vent a ton of frustration at him instead. I mean, last night's stand-up routine about domestic violence happened only a handful of episodes after Louie accidentally punched a woman in the face and severely injured her, all because he wasn't able to communicate with her that he didn't want to be tickled.

When you look at it that way, the whole season so far has been building up to what happened with Pamela. He could have been open about how he was feeling about Pamela in the wake of Amia leaving, but instead he chose (again) to not communicate properly, and it resulted (again) in an uncomfortable situation that Louie's character should have been able to avoid. The point, I think, isn't that Louie is just a creepy guy, or just misunderstood, or anything like that. If the season has a thesis statement so far, it's that people need to be careful of how they affect the people around them, specifically in the context of men interacting with women. I think that's a very relevant, important message to present in this format, and I don't think topics like these should be avoided just because the less perceptive portions of the audience won't understand.
Good points, great post.

precision posted:

I think the scene was definitely a gag, and just because he didn't realize he was being a poo poo during it doesn't mean anything. There are lots of times in the show where Louie is a poo poo and doesn't realize it in the moment. That's like, one of the show's central themes!
That central theme is true, but this isn't a gag. I don't think Louis CK's intentions was for us to say "Oh Louie!" and laugh at the awkward situation, we're suppose to be pissed at him. This is Lenny breaking the woman's neck.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

EatinCake posted:

Lookie here, someone put together a video that translated all of the Hungarian.
This reminds me how much I loved that shampoo bit. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I think Louie's subtle facial expressions throughout the bit are on point.

No Wave posted:

It's such an odd time for this message because we have never been more self-conscious. Honestly, it's excruciating.

Not taking issue with your post, just the message.
Got something to get off your chest about SJWs?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 4, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

That hurricane bit is way more in service of Amia's story arc than anything else. It highlights how important your children are, and how much weight they have on your life. In their most dramatic moment together, Louie leaves a distraught Amia for his daughters. And so it goes without saying that Amia's own son is just as important to her, and she needs to return to him as well.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 6, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Bown posted:

The Adventure Time thread just spent ages fretting over whether the 15 year old boy and the lump monster actually had sex or not.

wat

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

This season has been really awesome, and I'm hoping it sticks the landing with the last two episodes.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Promo for the season finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKcdkpQcyOY

So uh... Odd, didn't expect this to come from the end of episode 10.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, if you listen to his Opie & Anthony appearances on youtube, he drops into that whole "political correctness is ruining society" bullshit a lot. Also, basically every time they talk about a woman, Louis will call her a oval office. Some of that might be him playing to Opie & Anthony's huge audience of dirtbags though.
A lot of that was probably the result of being in a terrible marriage for nine years. And he use to blame the marital troubles on feminism. :smith:

He also had that stand-up bit about how women ruin your soul.

hopefully this enlightening curve continues and he becomes the reverse George Carlin where instead of becoming angry and paranoid in his later years he becomes a wise old ginger sage

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The scene in particular. I bring it up everytime someone uses that stand-up "human being" bit as some defense of using it as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-55wC5dEnc

• Locked thread