Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

What a first episode for someone who's always heard Louie was a great show but had never watched it until stumbling upon this while channel surfing last night. God drat this show, I marathoned Eps 403-410 today with On Demand, where can I get the rest? I know the earlier seasons are said to be much funnier and I love CK's standup - are the earlier seasons as well done as this also?

All the Emmys, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Yall know he didn't rape her, right?

I think this whole season was about being assertive and about how difficult but important communication is. He didn't tell the fat girl she was fat, he didn't speak Hungarian or even make as much of an effort to learn it as his little daughter did, he didn't know how to be assertive toward Pamela without being agggressive, he didn't know how to tell his parents what was going on as a teenager and he didn't tell his daughter any of the story he related during In The Woods, and he wanted more emotional connection with Pamela, and basically Louie sucks at communicating.

The season is also basically Louis CK saying "This is why I make jokes about everything."

friend of the family

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I don't know who that is but I'm guessing he's pretty good at raping.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

I do not, under any circumstances, think this was the message Louie was trying to send. Not at all. But that's how it came across.

I don't think Louie cares about what message his show is sending, the show is rated TV-MA and should not be watched by people who are still looking for parental guidance on matters of morality such as if rape is right or wrong.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Randandal posted:

Yall know he didn't rape her, right?

I think this whole season was about being assertive and about how difficult but important communication is. He didn't tell the fat girl she was fat, he didn't speak Hungarian or even make as much of an effort to learn it as his little daughter did, he didn't know how to be assertive toward Pamela without being agggressive, he didn't know how to tell his parents what was going on as a teenager and he didn't tell his daughter any of the story he related during In The Woods, and he wanted more emotional connection with Pamela, and basically Louie sucks at communicating.

The season is also basically Louis CK saying "This is why I make jokes about everything."

friend of the family

I feel like I contributed several tangents of discussion here but the only thing that anybody responded to was the part in the spoiler tag. Why don't you guys shut the gently caress up about surprising sex and grow a sense of humor about uncomfortable things? Louis CK's entire career is built upon laughing at uncomfortable things.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

verybad posted:

I don't think the point of making comedy about uncomfortable things is to have a chuckle and then stop thinking or talking about it. Or maybe it is but then it's a lovely point.

Well what I mean is, communicating, talking about it, that's what we're supposed to be doing. Slogging through circuitous false arguments about rape is dumb - the people criticizing this show for it are under the assumption that those defending the show are defending rape or that the show is somehow culpable for rape is sometimes okay in our culture, when that's a really absurd conversation to have. The art gallery scene was a meta-joke for this whole season, I feel. Louie hosed up and made a lot of people uncomfortable by pressing the friend of the family button, but it was funny instead of offensive because it was embarrassing for Louie. Had that rape scene not been there people would just be discussing the awfulness of the word friend of the family, or something else that totally avoids any deeper discussion about character motives or big life lessons, because we as a society are so easily distracted by big flashy outrages that we don't ever realize the biggest outrage is our inability to communicate on an everyday basis and be much happier as a society, or something like that.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Grantland's Andy Greenwald - The Internet has a "Louie" Problem

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I really wanted to stop reading after this

LividLiquid posted:

millions of people who, like it or not, use media to determine what's normal.

because this is a ridiculous argument to make without coming across as being against virtually everything in our pop culture, but then I also read this

LividLiquid posted:

and hilariously enough, SA's Pro Wrestling forum

and I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts on why Pro Wrestling normalizes vicious violence in society in the same way that Louie normalizes rape in society, and why you are one of the few adult viewers intelligent enough to not mindlessly repeat what you see in pop culture. You must have a really exceptional moral compass and intellect far surpassing your peers, and I am thankful for your everpresent sentry upon the zeitgeist.

:allears:

e: If you interpreted the message as being something that could encourage viewers to commit rape, but you didn't go ahead and commit rape after viewing it, did you really get the message at all?

Randandal fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 19, 2014

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

Louie's interest in a meteor shower was good to see, if completely unexpected based on everything else we know about him. But he could become the Neil Degrasse Tyson of stand up comics.

"Y'ever notice stars, they're such assholes. Think about it. Always looking down on us and acting so smug. Oh you humans think you're such hot poo poo, well we were here before your species existed and will still be here long after you've all gone extinct. Oh you sent a rover to Mars to take some pictures? Are we supposed to be impressed? Why don'tcha come visit one of us oh that's right it's because you barely evolved apes can't figure out how.
Stars are loving assholes, man. No really I mean it."

I'm suddenly filled with a burning desire to see Louis CK guest-host or guest-direct an episode of Cosmos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Max22 posted:

I don't think Pamela and Louie are going to be together for all of season 5 -- or even most of season 5 -- but then again, I never thought season 4 would have three feature-length multi-episode arcs, so what do I know.

Is Season 5 confirmed yet?

• Locked thread