Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
I agree that the scene was about Louie's self-righteousness in the wake of his recent bogus epiphanies, but that doesn't mean it wasn't also intentional that the guy was black. It's easier to be a prick at someone when they have less privilege than you do, which made the scene a touch more believable, and also a touch more of an indictment of Louie.

Why not just treat the text as text? Louie didn't bitch at an aracial humanoid mannequin, he bitched at a black guy. It plays into the scene whether or not it was the core of what the scene's about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Kevyn posted:

Maybe the black actor nailed the audition. :rolleyes:

Even if that's the case, and they'd just as soon have cast a white woman, it's still valid to read the character's race as a factor in the scene as it stands, and if the casting people and the producers of the episode weren't aware of that then they weren't doing their job.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Animal-Mother posted:

First, the prick is the guy spitting on the bus. Second, privilege isn't going to protect you from getting your rear end kicked by the type of guy who spits on the bus.

They can both be pricks of a different feather

No one is getting their rear end kicked on a crowded-rear end bus

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Alright, okay. I guess I just don't feel like "um, Louie wouldn't feel safe yelling at a scary black man" is a very good counterpoint to "race is somewhat of a factor in the scene"

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

bubblelubble posted:

Goddamn it why are we still on this?

Because it was genuinely a pretty provocative scene

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Dude you cannot write off sexual assault imagery as being "surreality."
I think the scene is worth having discussions about but that train of thought should not have left the station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

No Wave posted:

I'd rather it present perspectives that someone actually believes and not idiot dummy figures whose mistakes are obvious and we totally know better from the get-go. It's the difference between the scene where Louie doesn't know what to do when Blueberries woman starts crying and when he basically tries to rape Pamela. There's an obvious "right" answer known to everyone in the second situation, whereas the first actually represents reality as it's confusing to navigate.

19th century theater consigned to the "bad art" pile

• Locked thread