Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Irish Joe posted:

Louis CK is an old, bald, overweight ginger with hideous facial hair and a terrible sense of style. His only attractive qualities are his fame and fortune.
And after seeing the first 2 episodes, he's lost his sense of humour. Don't know if I should even bother continuing to watch this season.
He and Seinfeld both use observational humour but Louis' shtick of "Oh look at me, I'm pathetic and hopeless" is tired and kind of odd given his recent successful tours and stand-up career.
It often makes me sad and feeling sorry for them when people who make their living from their public persona can't even be bothered to have a healthy diet and get in some exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yeah! I mean, look at what getting in shape did for Wayne Knight's career!
According to imdb.com he's getting regular tv work, which is not bad for a guy approaching 60. Was that your point?

So here's my new theory: just as there is fiction, tv shows, in which the protagonist is an anti-hero, Louis has developed the character of an anti-comic or anti-comedian.
While the stand-up shtick of 'you know what's weird about people...?' is pretty standard stuff, the character in the show isn't funny at all but awkward, desperate and hard to sympathize with. An anti-comic.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Breadallelogram posted:

It's barely a comedy anymore but I think it's loving great.

That's a fair comment. I don't think it's great great, but it is great in how different it is from anything else on.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Some of us only watch the show for the stand-up, surreal tidbits, and beautiful camera stuff. Or if every episode was Season 1's "Dogpound" I'd be happy.
Surreal is good and doesn't need a laugh out loud payoff or punchline.

No Wave posted:

I want more fat guy in a towel. I think Louis CK knows a lot more about the weird chemistry between two middle-aged single dudes hanging out than whatever this awkward romance thing is.

Also Pamela totally sucked this ep, wtf. Louie the character is especially weird and anxious this arc. (also some of the weakest stand-up that's been on the show)
Well come on, last time he had sex it ended up costing him $5 million. That would make anyone anxious!

No Wave posted:

Interesting that he did the same thing with foreign girl as he did when Pamela offered to take a bath with him - sulking and not hearing what was said. He also tried to replay the Russ and Daughters experience with Liz - maybe it's an indication that he really wants her to be something that she might not be?

What was interesting to me and one of the best 'comic' bits is the connection that his daughter was in trouble for misbehaving and lashing out in school. Then Louie gets home picks up a bat and smashes the keys of a piano.

I don't need more fat guy in a towel, but more interplay between them like in that scene would be okay.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

For the record, I've been raped and I'm not outraged or horrified. I just thought it was weird.

e:

The Tonight Show stuff with David Lynch wasn't in Louie's mind. The Miami adventure wasn't either. Lots of things on the show are surreal.

I think the scene was definitely a gag, and just because he didn't realize he was being a poo poo during it doesn't mean anything. There are lots of times in the show where Louie is a poo poo and doesn't realize it in the moment. That's like, one of the show's central themes!
What became apparent for me in the couch scene and then later on the bus is the show's other central theme: that without humour, Louis CK is a lovely actor.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Louie didn't save his family, they could have simply stayed where they were. That whole contrived situation seemed to exist only as a sort of counterbalance to his attempted rape, as if to show us that he isn't or can't be really evil since he cares for his children.

Man, Louis CK is turning into tv's Kevin Smith, with apologists finding ways to justify his awful unfunny choice of material. The show would probably be better with someone else as director. And the fake ad-libbiness of the dialog is really starting to grate on me.
Come on, I have never heard a human being person talk speak in the manner he says things his lines and words like. Come on now, really.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

Probably the one thing I'll never understand in TVIV is the person who posts "I hate this show and everything it stands for, and I'll keep telling you so after every episode I keep watching"

There are literally other things to do than watch a tv show you despise. Even beyond just watching another channel! There's like an entire world right outside your door, chock full of things that won't leave you in a bitter rage.

Why anyone would subject themselves to something they hate ... I guess I don't have enough of the masochist streak in me to ever truly comprehend it.

A raging storm going on. Soaking wet, Louie enters the brightly lit car rental shop and hears pleasant canned music. Young clerk at the counter smiles and says, "Welcome to Hertz, how may I help you?"
That was pretty funny.

Attempted rape? Not so funny. The other disturbing factor in that scene is the size differential as Louie towers over Pamela, pinning her up against the door and not letting her leave.

edit: since you don't understand, let me try to explain: I'm a media junkie. I'll watch anything and everything. This week I went to a theatre to see Jodorowsky's Dune because he's a fascinating guy. And near the end of the doc he says he went to see the De Laurentiis produced movie. He didn't want to, he didn't want to...finally he was dragged to the movie and watched it and...it was poo poo! He was so happy!
So then I had to watch it, the David Lynch directed Dune movie which I hadn't seen in decades and...yeah, it is poo poo. Over 2 hours of tedious, overly expository and dull scifi dreck. Such a shame but worth viewing to remember what was, and what might have been.

Clark Kent posted:

I think the point wasn't show he cant be evil, but rather to show his distorted sense of what it is to be a man, his delusional mindset, and how that ultimately leads him to do what he did to pamela. Louis is trying to act macho like and is using hollywood as his model. All these things that are positioned to show him as a good guy are not meant to excuse the rape scene. They are showing that the rapist is often the guy we know and like, who seems to me a nice guy.
Okay, good observation. After being his usual passive self and losing Amia he's decided to change and be a take-charge guy, a doer not a thinker. That's also seen on the bus when he decides to speak up about the spitter.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 6, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

libertao posted:

Why did my comedy starring Louie C.K. turn into an after-school special with child actors? This is mostly just ho-hum drama. No wonder Louis had to insist on complete control.

See, he smoked pot when he was 12 and look what happened to his life. Now his daughter is smoking pot at 12...next ep will show 'possible futures', starring Lisa Lampanelli as mid-40 year old Lily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Louie's interest in a meteor shower was good to see, if completely unexpected based on everything else we know about him. But he could become the Neil Degrasse Tyson of stand up comics.

"Y'ever notice stars, they're such assholes. Think about it. Always looking down on us and acting so smug. Oh you humans think you're such hot poo poo, well we were here before your species existed and will still be here long after you've all gone extinct. Oh you sent a rover to Mars to take some pictures? Are we supposed to be impressed? Why don'tcha come visit one of us oh that's right it's because you barely evolved apes can't figure out how.
Stars are loving assholes, man. No really I mean it."

• Locked thread