Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

bubblelubble posted:

This article/opinion piece pretty much nailed it for me in regards to *that* scene.

http://junkee.com/on-louie-season-four-and-the-so-called-attempted-rape/36895
I take issue with the general argument of the piece. The author's general point is that Louie was not raping Pamela because both parties understood the subtext of the scene. Louie knows Pamela is just trying to deny she likes him, and Pamela knows Louie is just trying to get her to acknowledge that. In the author's words, "She knows the intention behind Louie’s hideous behavior: not to abuse a woman into satisfying his own sexual desires, but to wrench an acknowledgement from her – in the most misguided way — that she is interested in him." Because each party know exactly what the other party wants, it cannot be rape.

The problem with this argument is that it feeds into an existing depiction of sexual assault in rape culture: that because a man thinks he knows what the woman wants, he can ignore what the woman says. This becomes less an isolated act and more a moralistic message when Louie is not punished, but even rewarded later for his behavior. This suggests yes, the man did know what the woman wanted, and contextualizes his rape scene as acceptable. Louis CK may not have intended to endorse this type of sexual assault, but it's hard to deny his scene feeds into a popular depiction in rape culture.

But rather than dismiss Louis CK's intention, I'd like to consider what he actually did mean to say. I think what he was trying to depict (as mentioned by several others here) is that a likable, ordinary character on TV can be just as prone as creepy weirdos to committing sexual assault. That he actually succeeds in winning the girl's heart is testament to Louie shrugging his shoulders and saying, "Sometimes these bastards win." It's not an inherently bad message. But when you highlight one narrative over another ("rapist gets the girl" over "rapist gently caress lives up"), you inevitably send a message too. I suspect in a world where rape culture wasn't so powerful, we could read Louie's scene more as "one of those things that happen". But in the context of many men already thinking the depicted behavior of sexual assault is okay, it's hard to watch Louie without considering its role in normalizing rape culture.

Really hope this does not kick up a nest of "Oh this again" remarks. I think Louis CK intended for the scene to generate a constructive dialogue on rape, and I doubt he thinks he should be immune to criticism in that respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread