Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Sarah Baker was really good, but a lot of that monologue was best left unsaid. A whole lot of her points were already well-implied, and the show probably could have gotten the rest across in a more subtle way.

I did like how Louie looked right at the camera when she said that if he was looking at the two of them from afar, he would see that they perfectly match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Louie and his brother ignoring the hostess at the Indian restaurant trying to seat them at a table for 2 and going instead for a table for 6 was a funny touch.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I miss the opening credits.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

beanieson posted:

did they lose the license for that song or something? It really was great.

Nah, it was written for the show, I think.

Edit: Oh, it is actually a cover song, so maybe they did lose the license. Here's the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiM6hF1naXE

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 14, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oof, I forgot what an rear end in a top hat Pamela is.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Oof, I forgot what an rear end in a top hat Pamela is.

Re-watching the first season, and I think something just went haywire with this character. Pamela isn't nearly the rear end in a top hat that she is in the last episode. She's really harsh, but she never gets to the level of "No one would want to be with you," like she does in the last episode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A theory I saw elsewhere is that she transforms into a better person after leaving Louie. For example, she finally goes to Africa like she always wanted to and couldn't with Louie. Her transformation over time is visually represented through her race.

How in the gently caress has the internet not translated what Amia said at the end yet? It's killing me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I love how intense that hurricane was. Last week it killed Lebron, this week it killed half of Brooklyn.

I think I may have been giving Louis CK the benefit of the doubt too often. In addition to him trying to film the funniest attempted rape ever this week, I've been listening to his appearances on Opie & Anthony's radio show (they're all on youtube). I don't know how much is just him playing to their shitbag audience, but there's a whole lot of racist jokes and I think Joan Rivers is the only woman they ever talk about that he doesn't call a "oval office." In one of them, Patrice O'Neal talks about the etymology of some racial slur, and Louis comes back with "Well, you know where 'friend of the family' comes from, right? One day this black guy was just being a huge friend of the family, and ..."

Anyway, that was a return to form for Pamela this week. Just the right level of charming rear end in a top hat. It completely strains belief that she would ever hang out with Louie again after this, but this was part 1 of 3, so :shrug:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Debbie Metallica posted:

Gah what is WITH that?

Maybe I'm just in the minority but I like it when the episodes are largely self-contained with a tiny bit of spillover for continuity but it's not just the same story extended and extended. Two more episodes of that, yikes.

The schedule I saw goes "Pamela" 1 this week, next week it's "In the Woods" Parts 1 & 2, and then the week after that the season ends on "Pamela" 2 & 3.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Someone described the show as a Auteur's comedic show, I can't tell if they are right or they are wrong.

It seems about right, at least until recently. His style of dropping into short scenes with super-minimal exposition is unique as far as I know.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

entropy posted:

The Pamela episode really comes down to that end scene. Not sure what kind of stuff he does regarding commentaries or DVD extras, but I'd enjoy hearing the though process behind that episode. Although his attitude sometimes is "Here's a thing I wanted an episode to be about so I did it", I do think he was trying to do something specific. But like most people's reaction, I cringed. It just seemed so out of character for Louie to act like that. Maybe he felt like he wasn't forward enough with Ania (sp?), so he's overcompensating with Pam? Even still, it just didn't seem like him compared to what we've seen so far.

He's trying to be more masculine by being more aggressive, even though that's not him so he's bad at it. It works for him with Amia and during the hurricane, but eventually he ends up being a prick to Pamela and getting into a dumb spat on the bus.

That's not to excuse that near rape scene though. I think that's what he was going for, but there was surely better ways to show it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, that was pretty hosed up too. Her hitting him so hard it breaks her window always disturbs me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mutation posted:

In the Woods parts 1 and 2 might be a story arc... within a story arc? Or they're unrelated and Louis C.K. just wants that scene to hang in the air for a while.

According to Louis' twitter, the "In the Woods" stuff next week is 90 minutes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Hungarian girlfriend reminded me of an episode of Coupling (BBC version), where one of the characters met up with a girl who shared no common language with him. The flip side was half way through the episode, they redid the first 15 minutes but with the girl speaking English and the normal characters speaking gibberish.

This sounds amazing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Good news! While initially disappointed I couldn't find it on YT, turns out the show is on Hulu. It's probably dated a bit as it's a British multi cam that's essentially a remake of Friends, but it's far far far better than the US version that was a further remake of it, and it had some genuinely funny ideas. I'm pretty sure this episode will work as standalone as it was from the first series...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/177553

Ha, yeah that's pretty solid for a Friends remake.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

whatshesaid posted:

Wow. I apologize for creating a poo poo storm. It was a serious post, and I never meant to insinuate that he should have raped her. He didn't. He kissed her and let her go. If he had raped her, that would have been truly, truly hosed up. He was highly emotional and did something stupid and slightly out of character, but he did not and would not have raped her. She had been loving with his head, and I feel like with that scene, he called her on her bullshit. It was wrong, but he did not rape her. I don't think they should ever see each other again. He ruined everything, as usual.

That's all I'm saying about that. My apologies. Carry on.

Ohhhh, is that what that was? Because it looked like he trapped her in his apartment and attempted to drag her to bed and pull her clothes off. But I guess I just don't understand how calling someone on their bullshit works.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Not a very funny pair of episodes, but it was pretty good. I enjoyed the bully's systematic methods at the beginning and the dealer singing "Brother Louie". I'm pretty sure every time I meet a Louie from here on out, I'll be singing that song.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Riptor posted:

Are you talking about his bit about "the n-word"? That is not at all the point of that bit

Nah, if you listen to his Opie & Anthony appearances on youtube, he drops into that whole "political correctness is ruining society" bullshit a lot. Also, basically every time they talk about a woman, Louis will call her a oval office. Some of that might be him playing to Opie & Anthony's huge audience of dirtbags though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Well, the first one was funny.

They won't last very long, I don't think.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bubblelubble posted:

Also, what was Pamela referring to when she asked Louie "Remember?" in the bathtub scene?

In the second season there's an episode where she asks him to take a bath with him, but he doesn't realize what she was asking until he'd already said no and left.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That whole Subway/Pamela episode is kind of a microcosm of the last two episodes. She offered to take a bath with him after he forced her to listen to a big heartfelt speech about how he felt about her, and she spends the whole lead-up to the speech doing that "gross, just please shut up," routine.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Real life is often -- in fact, usually -- more complicated than media messages. Here is a 100% true story of a guy and a girl. They were on their first date. They had similar interests in art, movies, similar outlooks on life. She was the staunchest feminist he had ever met, and not in the "gurl power!" type of feminism, but in old school, women are completely the equal of men way, the type who thought even hyphenating her last name should she get married was silly, let alone taking her husbands last name. After all, she's not his property.

Anyway, they went out on a date and had a good time. They had driven separately but he offered to drive her back to her apartment and she agreed. In the parking lot he kissed her. She kissed back, then pulled away. He looked at her. He knew that no meant no, no always means no. He pulled her to him and kissed her fiercely. He got out of the car, went over to her side, and pulled her out. He dragged her by her hair up a flight of stairs and in the landing, took off her clothes and had sex with her, this staunch feminist, this liberal true believer of women's rights and equality.

One month later they were married. She kept her last name. And they were joyously happy together until her untimely passing 7 years later.

Was she raped?

e: incidentally, I have a real life incident in my life that mirrors a bit from Louis's standup so closely that you'll think I'm plagarizing, but I swear this is true.

So I was 17 or so and worked at the mall. There was this absolutely gorgeous chick who worked at a kiosk right outside the video arcade I worked in. I'd go out and flirt with her a lot, which was easy for me because I simply thought she was out of my league. It's much easier to be cocky / confident, charming when you have no pressure because she's just too drat good looking. Anyway after weeks of chatting her up (without expecting it to go anywhere, like I said), she finally gets frustrated at me not moving forward I guess and asks when I'm going to ask her out already. I instantly segue into "well we're going out tonight right" cause I'm smooth and whatnot, but now I'm stressing.

Anyway, we end up making plans to just go over to her house -- her parents are rich and she lives in a mini mansion type of deal, so her parents are home but like in another drat wing of the house. We watch tv, she ends up stripping down and we're making out, but any time I start to make a move she gets all coy and pulls away. She leads me to another room, which is a guest bedroom type of thing, and the same thing happens again. Finally I get frustrated and ask what the deal is. She's naked, beneath me, and literally says "Why don't you just rape me". I instantly get freaked out and leave immediately.

Not only until much later did I realize that that was really what she wanted: forceful, violent sex. Which sounds bad typing it out because no means no, we all know that, except that some women have different versions of no. I had been passive the whole time but my jerk / cocky behavior at the mall had made her think I was ... well, more assertive.

I think she was embarrassed by the whole thing too because we didn't really talk after that.

So, another question. If I had had sex with her, would that have been rape?

regulargonzalez posted:

Now that Community is dead, I nominate Louie to be the reigning "best show with worst thread" champ. Do I have a second?

Well, you've put in the hard work and convinced me. Seconded.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If a girl gets dragged by her hair up a flight of stairs and raped, is it really rape?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Incidentally, I forgot to mention that she is the one who proposed to him. She hasn't had an abusive childhood, she wasn't mentally warped or neurotic or damaged. Why did a staunch feminist propose to him if she had been raped, instead of immediately calling the police or at least never talking to him again?

People LOVE to slot everything from music to human behavior into binary categories. THIS Beatles record is psychedelic, THAT one isn't. THIS behavior is unquestionably wrong (except, apparently, to the people engaged in that behavior) , THAT behavior (and only that behavior) is morally acceptable. Reality has blurrier, fuzzy lines.

There's nothing I'd rather do less than play around in your bullshit about the fuzzy gray areas involved in consent. You're plainly wrong (who gives a poo poo what she did after she got dragged up the stairs by her hair for sex she didn't consent to?), but more importantly, it's a dumb thing to poo poo up this thread with.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So I just do not think that the attempted rape scene is meant to be taken literally. There's a lot of hyperbole in the show, and I don't just mean the obvious surrealism. Louie is a character so flexible that he can seem like two completely different people from scene to scene, and I think a lot of the more outlandish character moments are meant to be Louie as he sees himself through the lens of his own shame.

There's a normal guy who can raise his children well and shoot the poo poo with his friends at a poker game, but that normal guy looks at his own failings very harshly. For example, the problem he faces dumping his girlfriend turns into an exaggerated scene where she has to pick up on insanely subtle clues and go to ridiculous lengths to drag the truth out of him. He has a bad date with Chelsea Peretti's character, but he looks at it with such anxiety that he sees himself as an absolute train wreck who can't string two sentences together.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bown posted:

"I'm exhausted! I'll just write, direct and edit seven episodes of a TV show and a movie this year. Need time to relax."

Knowing him, he'll put out a fresh hour of stand-up too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

This Opie & Anthony interview from when he was still married just popped up in my Youtube feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbmVIKu7FlM

:stare:

Yeahhhhh.....yeah

• Locked thread