Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

redweird posted:

Louie slipping on the water left behind by the astronaut's daughter absolutely slayed me. I think because Louie doesn't follow any sort of formula, when he hits you with slapstick it comes out of nowhere.

That's what I like about his slapstick: the absurdist bent.

When he was in the coffee shop talking to his friend about his kid and that one young dude texting just walked into Louie and kept on walking without looking up? Hilarious. Especially Louie's annoyed, but resigned reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Also any time Todd Barry is on, it's the absolute best. "Your kids suck. I hate them. When I saw them, I drew little pictures of them and ripped them up in front of them." And this is just a casual conversation over coffee. Incredible.

God yes.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Mutation posted:

They revisited it before in Season 3 for the father episode, but in that case it worked out great because you're thinking "Oh I guess they're going to have another neat or insightful conversation" and instead it's cut short because Louie's vomiting on everything.

But in this case it's just... Another poker scene.

That first episode was kinda like that a lot, sort of just rehashing old concepts: Poker scene, rear end in a top hat doctor, awkwardly asking store employees for sex things.

Well, in this case the poker scene was to setup the bigger joke and narrative of Louie trying to buy a vibrator for himself, then becoming ashamed when he actually tries, then he hurts his back because he's getting old, and eventually is recommended a vibrator by the doctor's secretary, but he doesn't use the vibrator to masturbate, but to massage his aching back because he's getting old.

I think the poker scene was more than worth it just for that eventual punchline. It's cool to see a joke carried throughout an entire show in a subtle, but funny way.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Are you sure about that? Because at the end he's kind of sheepishly looking around his apartment, like he's making sure if he hears the kids awake or not. I think the implication is that the receptionist gave him the excuse he needed to buy a vibrator without actually buying "a vibrator". The back pain part was just incidental, and it's an added bonus that it relieves his back pain.

:shrug: It's left vague so we could go either way, really.

Knowing louie he'd use the vibrator to massage both his dick and back.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

If you've got a better way to wake people up to their lovely behavior, I'm all ears, and I'd appreciate it, but comparing it to something they already understand is wrong has been the single most effective method for me.

If you think comparing the poo poo minorities have to face to the poo poo that fat people have to face then I don't think you understand either issue. Educate yourself before attempting to educate others.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

If you think marginalizing people because of how they look isn't comparable to marginalizing people because of how they look, then I'd argue it's you who needs to educate yourself.

Reducing the history and ramifications of racism down to "white people marginalized minorities because they looked different" in order to say "fat people also have it bad" is blatantly disregarding the:

1) Different physical realities behind racism and hating fat people: for the former your skin color/ethnicity is something you are born with, can never discard, and will always be held against you, for the latter this is not the case at all.

2) Level of severity of both issues: for the former we can look at how racism has shaped/controlled political and social developments for much of the past few centuries, and today continues to grind billions of people into the ground, for the latter, while it sucks that people make fun of and make things harder for fat people, fat people have never been enslaved, never have had pogroms launched against them, never have been violently 'cleansed' from any landscape whatsoever, and while they face hardship due to their weight weight is, in most cases, not something you are born with and something you can actually work on

3) I dunno, but race really is not at all on the same level nor in the same league nor at all in the same scope as weight/being obese

Maybe you're white and just don't understand that race =/= weight and the struggles for both are not at all comparable. If that's the case then this conversation makes tons of sense as one of us just has never had to confront/experience the awful reality of racism and therefore can make the rookie mistake of thinking that fat people face a similar kind of discrimination as minorities. It's actually pretty insulting, but I doubt you care much.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 14, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

Hence my original point: that if it could be changed, should it? In the name of being treated better, should people change their race?

If we could change our race easily then the issue or race would not be nearly as damning as it is today, how do you not get this poo poo? Weight is an issue that is entirely within people's ability to change. If you're fat and are treated poorly then do something about it: either stand up to your bullies and love yourself for yourself (and if you love yourself you should love your body enough to not treat it like poo poo and allow it to amass all that unhealthy weight) or lose the loving weight.

Alternatively you can whine about it the way Sarah Baker's character did, blithely unaware of the people exercising behind her. The monologue raised a lot of good points, but not about whether or not being fat is acceptable, but whether or not being a fat woman is acceptable. The takeaway (for me at least) is that there is more of a gender issue going on rather than a weight issue because, as Sarah Baker's character pointed out, Louie's basically the male equivalent to her in physical terms.

quote:

Same as point two. Not only have I already admitted that this is true, but it's entirely irrelevant to this discussion, because I am not comparing the treatment of fat people to the treatment of black people. I am comparing the prejudices that lead to poor treatment. One is examined, and one isn't. I'm comparing the examined to the unexamined so that people will examine it.

It's not irrelevant to this discussion, however, because you brought all that poo poo in the moment you started to talk about race. You cannot argue about nor understand race and racism in a neat, little vacuum. I recognize that you were attempting to talk about something in good faith, but race is an incredibly touchy subject and you should not be surprised to meet resistence when you attempt to use race to speak to other, very different issues.

The kind of prejudice that goes into racism is not the same kind of prejudice that goes into hating someone because they're fat.

quote:

This shouldn't matter at all,

It shouldn't yeah, because in an ideal world no one's race would cause them to have drastically different life experiences than someone else, but that's not the world we live in. Establishing your whiteness helps to explain how you can admit that racism's awful and that the socio-political trappings around racism are completely different than the trappings surrounding fat discrimination, but then go on to misrepresent/misunderstand what race and racism is a misguided attempt to find support for your argument.

e: Basically, don't talk about race unless you're actually talking about race. Otherwise you run the risk of coming off racist/out-of-touch because race is, as I said above, a messy issue. You're more likely to muck up whatever argument you had, as evidenced by the flurry of people who have denounced your argument irl and in this thread.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 14, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

It's because he didn't make poorly thought out comparisons that distract from his point. :ssh:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 14, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Red posted:

Can anyone recap the episode where Bobby and Louie meet their mother for a meal, and she decides she's Lesbian? I remember being mesmerized by the exchange, but now I can't recall it at all, especially Bobby's reaction.

And am I right in remembering they've depicted his mother in conflicting ways? Besides that episode, where she comes off looking really dumb, I feel like Louie has the childhood flashback to his mom telling him about religion, and she comes off as being pretty wise.

When you're a kid your parents seem wise, but as you grow up you realize that they're just as vapid as everyone else. Maybe that explains the discrepancies?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

The proper response would have been for Louie to go "Lol, you think YOURE fat? Let me tell you about what a Bang Bang is."

Then launch into a funny story.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

No Wave posted:

She's a child now? This is how we treat adults - worrying about the "proper response" all the time? How hosed is that, two adults having a conversation and one has to learn how to "handle" the other. gently caress that.

Jesus you're insufferable. Proper response as in "haha lets continue this funny line of conversation by me also revealing something about myself," not some kind of weird whatever the gently caress it is you're getting at.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Tokelau All Star posted:

I really enjoyed the scene of Louie and his ex-wife standing silently in the hall. I really felt like they were two people that knew each other so well that there was an entire unsaid conversation in those brief moments.

I completely forgot that Louie cast a black lady as his ex-wife, what was his reasoning for that again? Just because?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

What more reason is needed?

I mean, I'd get it if the kids looked even a little mixed, but they clearly aren't so what's the deal.

Coulda created some great casting opportunities for some mixed race child actors.

evvv: Yeah, I wouldn't want the kids cast differently either.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Breadallelogram posted:

The guy who played his uncle: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000719/?ref_=tt_cl_t2

Same actor, right?

Bown posted:

yeah that's the same guy.

verybad posted:

poo poo, wasn't he also the husband of that chick who asked Louie if he'd like to see her pussy?

That's, uh, an interesting casting decision.

I like to think of it as young Louie not knowing his dad that well so that his dad and his uncle end up looking the same. Like, it was some sort of surreal way to communicate how much of an absentee dad he had. :shrug:

Also, man, these episodes have been absolutely awesome.

• Locked thread