Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Anyone else feel like Amia and Pamela are the yin and yang, respectively, of Louie's perfect woman? He gets along with both women just as well as each other but in entirely different ways. Plus there are been parallels between Louie's relationships with both, i.e. sleeping on the red couch and Louie's sleeping (and attempt at sleeping) with either lady. (I'm sure there have been other references I missed.) Or maybe it's just a comment that he can't have both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Grodin's scenes have taught me a lot.

The father I never had.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

dantheman650 posted:

There was nothing ambiguous about Pamela's signs to Louie inside his apartment. If those are "yellow lights" to you, I don't even know what to say. You are part of the problem. Those were loud, clear, red light, stop immediately signs.

I agree that it wasn't ambiguous, but I feel like Pamela would be a lot more violent and angry if she felt Louie was a real threat. My interpretation was that she knows how much of a pathetic, desperate blob Louie is and that he was just obviously suffering from "whatever happened with that lady he was dating". She knew he wasn't his regular self. That's not to say what Louie was trying to do was anything less than pure assholish behaviour. Just yeah, I think the "yellow lights" comment was fair enough and not as dismissive as you think.

I'm interested in seeing the next interaction Louie has with Pamela. I'm sure that'll help clear up some of this.

bubblelubble fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 5, 2014

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Bown posted:

Man, she wasn't that horrible. She wanted to date him, and he said no, then came crawling back to her and got rejected. She may have been bitchy, but that's always been her persona, he knows her like that. It was pretty fair really.

Yes! She's always been this blunt (although perhaps she's been a little bitchier this season cos of Louie's rejection) - the point is that Louie's the one who changed without her. I mean, he's reverted a little back to his jerkish self since Amia left, but he's still essentially changed since Pamela left for overseas. The juxtaposition just makes her seem a lot meaner since returning.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
In other news...

http://www.avclub.com/article/philip-seymour-hoffman-was-supposed-guest-star-lou-205509

He would've been really great on Louie. Such a shame.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
I feel this shouldn't have to be said but here goes: Just because the creator is a comedian doesn't mean the creation is solely a comedy.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Agreed, definite contender for best episode of the season. The cinematography was lovely, subject matter well-handled. I never really liked Jeremy Renner, but I thought he was quite good in this. I assume Phil Hoffman (aw) was supposed to be the teacher, but who they had instead was excellent.

I noticed we're all calling it an episode singular - why not just make Louie hour-long episodes now? Or is there a whole process for that?

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

PostNouveau posted:

Not a very funny pair of episodes, but it was pretty good. I enjoyed the bully's systematic methods at the beginning and the dealer singing "Brother Louie". I'm pretty sure every time I meet a Louie from here on out, I'll be singing that song.

It's a good method of personalised intimidation: "Louie, Louie, you're gonna die."

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
I don't think the attempted rape being ignored was entirely a bad thing. I feel this show has been striving for anything but the clichés and things we usually see on our screens, which definitely isn't a bad thing cos I like me some variety and REALITY once in a while, and while maybe it isn't the best message to send out, I think it's entirely feasible to have something like that happen and not have it be a big deal, especially considering the kind of rough n' tough relationship Louie and Pamela have.

A good season finale, I thought. I was giggling and chuckling pretty much through the entirety of their date, and that bathtub scene was a neat little quiet, serious moment between them. Getting rid of the red couch was also a nice little touch - to me, that symbolised a sort of new beginning for Louie. No more comparing his relationship with Amia to his with Pamela.

I really hope they last a while - they make an interesting couple.

Also, what was Pamela referring to when she asked Louie "Remember?" in the bathtub scene?

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

moller posted:

Season 2, "Subway, Pamela."

She said something like "Can I get you something to drink? Do you want to take a bath? Are you hungry?" and Louie didn't catch the bath part until later reflection.

PostNouveau posted:

In the second season there's an episode where she asks him to take a bath with him, but he doesn't realize what she was asking until he'd already said no and left.

Wow, I really should re-watch the first three seasons.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

moller posted:

Their relationship had been set up as pretty complicated in the first two seasons, ending with the season two finale where she boarded a plane to France or whatever. She was gone from the entire third season so it's sort of easy to forget the build-up if you haven't watched the earlier seasons since they aired. I don't think any of the professional critics that I've seen took it into account.

I pretty much only remember the whole "wave to me", "wait for you?" scene at the airport, which I guess is a good summary of how complicated their relationship was/is in itself.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Goddamn it why are we still on this?

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

LividLiquid posted:

Posts like these are why I keep doing this, just FYI. We're still on this because I refuse to live in a world that won't talk about issues that effect more than half of the population because they make people like you examine things you don't want to.

It's not that I don't want to examine this because, you're right, at least half of the world's population has experienced some kind of sexual assault, and if anything's to be done about that, there needs to be serious, critical discussion. I only meant, by my comment, that I feel the same points are being regurgitated over and over, and that this debate isn't really quite going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
This article/opinion piece pretty much nailed it for me in regards to *that* scene.

http://junkee.com/on-louie-season-four-and-the-so-called-attempted-rape/36895

• Locked thread