Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Garbage men don't actually break into houses!! also still wondering where Louie parked his helicopter in S1. it doesn't make any sense that he would have a private helicopter, but is must have been teased for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
I didn't get that at all.

Cool teachers bend the rules.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I think a large part of why this season is so jarring (though not necessarily worse or better) is that it's the first time that Louie has been very unsympathetic or unlikeable in parts. In all of the earlier seasons he was schlubby, average joe who we were meant to side with and just go "Oh, Louie!" when he fucks up. I may be forgetting something but I can't remember any moments in the earlier seasons where I was outright not on his side.

A lot of this season I think is trying to complicate this mentality and show why uncritically sympathising that average schlubby joe, not just in Louie but in broader pop culture, can be a bad thing.
I think I like this season a lot because of that. IMO it was less entertaining, but I appreciate him continually trying challenge himself and challenge his audience. I like louis as cynical feminist dad guy, but keeping to that schtick would've quickly become stale without complicating it a bit.

Playing out a cliched TV romance(s) that involve uncomfortable coercion/forced kissing is terribly hard to watch, but I can't say that I've seen too many shows that have involved that.

passionate dongs fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 20, 2014

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

regulargonzalez posted:

I had kind of the same reaction the first time I watched Miike's 'Audition'. I thought about it for several days and realized that that is one of the purposes of art; not to reaffirm things we believe and think and to simply act as an echo chamber, but to present alternate viewpoints and challenge our assumptions. That, imo, is literally one of the core missions of art. Art shouldn't, or at least shouldn't always, be safe and comforting. It should feel a little dangerous, a little reckless, it should present the world in a way I might not have otherwise considered.

Looking at Audition and Irreversible in that light, I think they're both great movies.
I feel that anything that leaves me thinking about it later, in any capacity really, was worth seeing. Even if infuriating/dumb/horrifying. Which is why I don't expect laughs from Louie, I guess.

• Locked thread