Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

beanieson posted:

While I get that the point of the fat stigma speech was that it is harder on women than men I did enjoy that they whole time she's giving her monologue there's literally dozens of joggers and cyclists going by, you know, exercising.

A running (pun not intended) theme in Louie is that characters have to be blunt as hell to get through to him.

- "Stop asking people out."
- "What's your name?"
- Jerry's whole run of frustration with Louie

That's why this works.

Red fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

If you want to talk Louie, post in this thread.

If you want to debate fat acceptance, go here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634154

Red
Apr 15, 2003

massive spider posted:

If you've got a really cool and interesting Louie topic thats being drowned out lets hear it.

Literally anything else but pages of debate over fat acceptance or fat shaming or comparing being fat to being gay/religious/of a certain race.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Breadallelogram posted:

Okay. As he said, let's hear it.

Can anyone recap the episode where Bobby and Louie meet their mother for a meal, and she decides she's Lesbian? I remember being mesmerized by the exchange, but now I can't recall it at all, especially Bobby's reaction.

And am I right in remembering they've depicted his mother in conflicting ways? Besides that episode, where she comes off looking really dumb, I feel like Louie has the childhood flashback to his mom telling him about religion, and she comes off as being pretty wise.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Again, nobody is doing that. At all.

I don't want to dip back into that poo poo, but somebody was.

LividLiquid posted:

Being black is also unhealthy, medically. It opens one up to several conditions that aren't a problem for the rest of us. Still think this is a perfectly okay line of questioning?

"Black people can actually improve themselves by becoming white."

Sound okay?

Yes. I am making this comparrison again, and yes, I do believe it is perfectly appropriate and apt.
I h
Fat people's health has nothing to do with you or what you think, nor should you or I be talking about it. This is exactly why I make the race comparrison. You think it's okay to judge one, but not the other. I'm trying to make the point that it's not okay to judge either.

Edit: Also: You do realize not all minorities (or target groups, if we're speaking technically) are race-based, right? Again: I dig dong. That makes me a target. Should I stop being who I am because it's healthier? Medically, you'd be correct. Does that make it the correct thing for me to do?

LividLiquid posted:

Hence my original point: that if it could be changed, should it? In the name of being treated better, should people change their race?

An issue I readily admitted when I said that I didn't think the severity was anywhere comparable.

Same as point two. Not only have I already admitted that this is true, but it's entirely irrelevant to this discussion, because I am not comparing the treatment of fat people to the treatment of black people. I am comparing the prejudices that lead to poor treatment. One is examined, and one isn't. I'm comparing the examined to the unexamined so that people will examine it.

This shouldn't matter at all, but would it make you feel if I compared fat people to queers? Because I am one of those, and historically and currently, we do get murdered simply for being ourselves, and it doesn't change my point in any way whatsoever.

If there were a treatment to turn me straight, you wouldn't be telling me that I should take it so people wouldn't treat me like poo poo. Or maybe you would, but I kind of doubt it. Yet, many say that if being fat sucks, they should just lose weight so people didn't treat them like poo poo. What about religion? Since unlike sexual orientation and race, that's also a choice, like the fat thing. Should all Jewish people convert to Christianity? That's entirely possible, realistic, and not-at-all a stretch from the "just lose weight" argument.

The point is that people are treated like poo poo because of who they are, and arguing that they should change that to fit in is a damaging, stupid narrative.

This episode of Louie had the right idea. It surfaced assumptions, and pointed out a behavior that a minority group deals with on a regular basis. I loved it so, so much.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Going back to the other episode, the sense of dread I felt when the daughter stepped off the train was a testament to performance. This is a comedy show. I knew, logically, that there was a zero percent chance that something terrible would happen to her. That's not the show this is. But the performances were so convincing that the dread was still almost palpable.

Louie C.K. is pretty durn talented.

Louis CK did an amazing job of acting like a regular freaked-out parent. It was amazing that they had his daughter (the one on the subway with him) act as his mental anchor.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Bown posted:

I think it's more the general him trying to be more assertive and failing idea than anything to do with the status of the other guy.

This.

He also wants to look like an authority figure in front of his kids. His daughter looks shocked that another person told her dad to shut up.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Anaranjado posted:

Wasn't this show funny once? And not a big heaping helping of Serious Issues, preachy characters and cringeworthy awfulness? Jesus. I watched a few bits of my season one dvd the other day and it sounds like night and day.

This is a good show because it's different, and it's good at being different. It pulls feelings and reactions out of you that other shows don't. It's funny because the star is a comedian, and he knows how to make you laugh - when he wants to.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Tokelau All Star posted:

PS: Skip Sudduth deserves some kind of award for that. Next level performance.

Sudduth was outstanding. I don't think I've seen him since Ronin. I hope this part gets him some good future roles.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Was I the only one who was getting weird undertones from Mr. Hoffman early on? From putting Louie in a compromising position for the "fart science", wanting him to be around more by having him help set-up before class and date his daughter, and then completely overcompensating when sticking up for Louie?

Maybe I was reading too much into it and it wasn't intentional at all, but I still cringed, it seemed like he was overstepping his boundaries more than a little.

I felt the same way, but only because this show has trained me to expect the worst. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

This is a good article, even if a bit wordy and blowhard-y.

Although, I had no idea the ratings for Louie sucked.

• Locked thread