Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

blue squares posted:

Second episode was pretty lovely. Did we need five minutes of standup from his special that's a year old?
It wasn't from "Oh My God" you goon, that was his monologue from SNL 2 months ago and this season took the better part of 2 years to film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Here's a thought: how about everyone step back and let a dude more infinitely funny, insightful, and truly compassionate for social injustices than y'all ever will be finish his story before churning out more outraged, mealy-mouthed thinkpieces, the only thing the internet needs less than the end of net neutrality.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

No Wave posted:

So what compelled you to click over and navigate to this thread, the one place online where you might go to talk about this show before it's over? Maybe you're an idiot?
This thread does not consist solely of hysterical users wringing their sallow little hands shrieking "LOUIE WAS A RAPE FAN ALL ALONG! TOTAL MISSTEP!!", so I'm come here for the occasional thoughtful post by anyone less intolerably wretched, goon.

Instead of reflexively launching the kneejerk outrage brigade, one might focus on how that intentionally disturbing final scene was a compressed dark mirror of Louie's relationship with Amia. That aggressive physical struggle was edited to nearly match his wordless seduction of Amia shot for shot.

Except this time he's selfishly, boorishly projecting the desire onto his longtime friend who is very much capable of the verbal communication as Amia wasn't. Louie was idealizing and romanticizing the ended relationship where he didn't need to concern himself with the "hassle" of reciprocal communication, because if he doesn't have to talk to a partner like Janet then he doesn't have to concern himself with getting tripped up in his own jumbled words when his actions are questioned. Foisting this kind of madness onto Pamela was exactly as deranged as it seemed, and there's still two more episodes in the arc to go.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Tokelau All Star posted:

Spot on, I don't understand why this is so hard for people to grasp. Not just forums commenters, but professional TV critics, people whose whole job is to watch, understand, and write about TV, can't seem to crack this.
Even more impressive for all the flak he still gets for being a "bad" actor. Able to hoodwink impressionable adults in a single scene!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

That was a wonderful story to tell in the first ever mega episode. PSH would've been astounding in that role clearly written with him in mind, but darkhorse character actor Skipp Sudduth did an incredible job filling in with what I'd call a masterful homage. Can't say enough good things about this episode and its pitch perfect cast.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

ZDar Fan posted:

That was a wonderful dramatic episode, but I got a huge laugh when the same kid from the first classroom scene asked about farting in dreams, revealing that that kid is apparently just obsessed with farts.
He also seemingly set the pace for the future course of experiments, which was amusing.

Riptor posted:

Are you talking about his bit about "the n-word"? That is not at all the point of that bit
Forget it Jake, it's goonatown.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Red posted:

Sudduth was outstanding. I don't think I've seen him since Ronin. I hope this part gets him some good future roles.
He's a serious character acting vet who's been around TV here and there for a few decades. He actually just had a small role in the new season of Orange is the New Black, so his agent ain't too shabby!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

qbert posted:

Did anyone else get the in-joke of that moment? Basically in real life the roles were reversed and Maron reacted exactly how Louie did and Louie reacted exactly how Maron did and they didn't speak for years before making up recently.
Yes, I too was acutely aware of the very sly role reversal between Louie and Marc, it felt like a big ol' easter egg for any fan of them in the know.

Of course, the latter part you mention is redundant - there literally was an episode about that last season.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

regulargonzalez posted:

Real life is often -- in fact, usually -- more complicated than media messages. Here is a 100% true story of a guy and a girl. They were on their first date. They had similar interests in art, movies, similar outlooks on life. She was the staunchest feminist he had ever met, and not in the "gurl power!" type of feminism, but in old school, women are completely the equal of men way, the type who thought even hyphenating her last name should she get married was silly, let alone taking her husbands last name. After all, she's not his property.

Anyway, they went out on a date and had a good time. They had driven separately but he offered to drive her back to her apartment and she agreed. In the parking lot he kissed her. She kissed back, then pulled away. He looked at her. He knew that no meant no, no always means no. He pulled her to him and kissed her fiercely. He got out of the car, went over to her side, and pulled her out. He dragged her by her hair up a flight of stairs and in the landing, took off her clothes and had sex with her, this staunch feminist, this liberal true believer of women's rights and equality.

One month later they were married. She kept her last name. And they were joyously happy together until her untimely passing 7 years later.

Was she raped?

e: incidentally, I have a real life incident in my life that mirrors a bit from Louis's standup so closely that you'll think I'm plagarizing, but I swear this is true.

So I was 17 or so and worked at the mall. There was this absolutely gorgeous chick who worked at a kiosk right outside the video arcade I worked in. I'd go out and flirt with her a lot, which was easy for me because I simply thought she was out of my league. It's much easier to be cocky / confident, charming when you have no pressure because she's just too drat good looking. Anyway after weeks of chatting her up (without expecting it to go anywhere, like I said), she finally gets frustrated at me not moving forward I guess and asks when I'm going to ask her out already. I instantly segue into "well we're going out tonight right" cause I'm smooth and whatnot, but now I'm stressing.

Anyway, we end up making plans to just go over to her house -- her parents are rich and she lives in a mini mansion type of deal, so her parents are home but like in another drat wing of the house. We watch tv, she ends up stripping down and we're making out, but any time I start to make a move she gets all coy and pulls away. She leads me to another room, which is a guest bedroom type of thing, and the same thing happens again. Finally I get frustrated and ask what the deal is. She's naked, beneath me, and literally says "Why don't you just rape me". I instantly get freaked out and leave immediately.

Not only until much later did I realize that that was really what she wanted: forceful, violent sex. Which sounds bad typing it out because no means no, we all know that, except that some women have different versions of no. I had been passive the whole time but my jerk / cocky behavior at the mall had made her think I was ... well, more assertive.

I think she was embarrassed by the whole thing too because we didn't really talk after that.

So, another question. If I had had sex with her, would that have been rape?
These examples are too messy, irrational and human to be relateable to an internet outrage brigade. Have some tact!

One of my favorite singular bits of Louie's was his retelling of a date who wanted to gently caress badly despite all rational evidence of the contrary, from 'Chewed Up' iirc. "You want me to rape you, ruin my life and go to jail on the off chance you're into it?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I've disagreed with an article or three from Greenwald before, but this legit truthbomb reminds that he's one of the most insightful TV-centric writers going right now. This 24/7 superficial, dishonest omni-partisan dialogue the internet is mired in is riddled with sad human voids that crave instant entitled satisfaction. "Too much reflex, not enough reflection" is a drat astute way to sum it up.

• Locked thread