Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like Louis C.K. for the most part, but this show just gets more pretentious and weird with every season and I'm not sure I'm on board with it anymore. It seems to be slowly turning into some barely watchable Lars Von Trier movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Binary Logic posted:

Man, Louis CK is turning into tv's Kevin Smith, with apologists finding ways to justify his awful unfunny choice of material. The show would probably be better with someone else as director. And the fake ad-libbiness of the dialog is really starting to grate on me.
Come on, I have never heard a human being person talk speak in the manner he says things his lines and words like. Come on now, really.

I agree with all of this 100%

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bown posted:

It feels cruel to call CK the Kevin Smith of TV the year he seemingly finally learnt how to be a visual director.

A bunch of the arty shots remind me of something that would be in a comedy that was making fun of art house films.

I do think he is far more talented than Kevin Smith in general though, even if I sort of agree with the comparison. I think he's getting up his own rear end a little too much at this point.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 6, 2014

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know if I would call the bully episode funny. Especially the latter half of it. Still by far it was the best episode by a long shot. It's what sold me on the show.

I personally don't care if it's funny or not. It's just sort of bad and pretentious and creepy in general at this point and it used to be pretty good. Whoever said that he needs a proper director and editor earlier was spot on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow how the hell did I not notice that the doctor is Charles Grodin until someone mentioned it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Illinois Smith posted:

Maybe you should rewatch those earlier weird & artsy episodes sometime. I'm trying to see where this opinion people in here have about the big dramatic shift in tone this season comes from, I think it's a combo of

- Elevator taking up so much room that there was less space for standalone randomness and
- not having seen the earlier episodes in a while, because everything's funnier in your memory

Would there still be the same sentiment if Amia's arc had only been three episodes and the other three used for random surprising stuff à la Model?

Some of the direction has made me laugh for the wrong reasons. A bunch of his non Non sequitur stuff is just so bad. The way the fucks with switching around actors and the characters is just terrible (I know he's really nihilistic about it but it really just makes the show incoherent. It adds nothing) Then he tries to pull off these corny art house shots like Amia running from a gazebo into a church that look something from a show making fun of art house films...but it's not tongue in cheek at all.

The show is still really good at times but he seems to be convincing himself he's some sort of renaissance man that he is not. The last episode was definitely great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They are all 3 hours long.

• Locked thread