Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Do you ever, you ever get to a point in an OP where you're typing and you just get tired and you're like, can I just hit "Post"? Like, if it were socially allowed, I would not even bother using my shift key. That's how lazy I am at my age. I can't believe I'm still hitting the space bar twice after every period, I can only assume it's some kind of terrible writer's OCD. I think if I didn't do it, I'd get up in the middle of the night and log in just to edit all my posts. And then the next thing I know it'd be 7 and I'd have to take my daughter to school and she'd be making fun of me for looking like a, basically like a homeless person because I haven't shaved in days and my eyes are bloodshot because I've been drinking coffee and taking back pain medication for the past six hours while I spellcheck my posts about television shows on a forum. And that's... sometimes I think that's depressing, you know? Like, it is. It's depressing. I think it is, anyway. You know, the thing is, I don't generally do the whole... OP thing. You know some people are good at it, but I'm... not. It's not my... it's not how I "roll".

Louie airs Monday nights at 10pm on FX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

im old and fat and i have diahrrea and my daughters are hard to raise and i don't have time to date so i masturbate a lot

Go to bed, Jerry.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually thought "Wait, that can't be Charles Grodin, can it?" I thought it was just someone who looked just like him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jerusalem posted:

Jerry Seinfeld was so great as a complete rear end in a top hat who somehow still came across as being justified in how fed up he was with Louie's poo poo, even though he'd set him up to fail so spectacularly. I don't care if it was deliberate or just that Jerry is so detached from the real world now that he didn't see how terrible he was being, either way just works.

It's worth noting that Dane Cook came off as less of an rear end in a top hat in his cameo than Jerry Seinfeld. :psyduck:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been putting off writing about the "fat lady" scene but gently caress it.

I think it was really problematic and while initially the whole "this is so emotionally real" thing was interesting, the more I thought about it the more unsettling it became.

She talks to Louie about all these things based on one of two premises. These are literally the only two premises which allow her speech to make any sense:

- She is saying that she finds Louie attractive. This completely undercuts the entire point of the scene if true. If "men" don't find "fat girls" attractive, that is OK. It is OK to not do physical things with people you do not find physically attractive. If she finds Louie attractive and the opposite is not true, then he is not in any way in the wrong for turning her down.

- She is saying that she finds him unattractive in the same way he (presumably) finds her unattractive. If this one is true, the implication is that she is forcing the agenda that people should do physical things with people they don't find physically attractive. I'm not cool with that. Taken to its extreme, you could use this argument to have a gay man say to a straight man "So what if you don't think I'm pretty? Just hold my hand. Why not?"

And of course there is the issue that I see fit, attractive guys dating big girls all the time but that's mostly beside the point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

It was mostly because he said she was not fat.

Right, if she had left it as "Yes I am, and I admit it. I'm fat!" But then she launched into the "have you ever dated a fat girl" part which made me cringe really hard. Like I said, you see thin guys dating fat girls all the time. In fact you see it a lot more than you see fat guys dating thin girls.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PootieTang posted:

It's almost like people on the internet are touchy

There you go chief.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pomp posted:

First posts I've ever read in a Louie thread have been pages of people not getting the incredibly loving obvious point of the fat woman's monologue, but it's still not as bad as people saying that Cersei deserved to get raped.

I know I have no actual authority but I would love it if people would shut up about that scene. And I'm including the posters I agree with. It's just become too toxic and very few people are being civil about disagreeing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BrownThunder posted:

Considering your only posts in this thread have been about the fat girl episode that was weeks ago, I think you've had enough, personally.

Counterpoint: Your only two posts have been complaining about other people's posts.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BrownThunder posted:

Let's make it three! I just like reading threads but scrolling through all the fat girl :goonsay: posts is getting ridiculous.

I'm not disagreeing whatsoever, that horse is dead.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Breadallelogram posted:

It's barely a comedy anymore but I think it's loving great.

One of my favorite episodes was the Miami one from last season, which had almost zero jokes in it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That Ursula Parker interview is the best, I wish this would fit as a thread title:

"I would never jump off a train like that. That’s just something I would not normally do. Unless there’s a fire on the subway or something."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I did not expect this season to be so completely hosed up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

regulargonzalez posted:

Don't you think that was the point? Do you think Louis CK intended that scene to be something the audience was rooting for?

Yeah, my only real problem with it is how completely out of character it was. It just didn't seem like the same guy that had been in the first 3 seasons, at all. I have no objection to the message, I just think the execution was pretty bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Here's a thought: how about everyone step back and let a dude more infinitely funny, insightful, and truly compassionate for social injustices than y'all ever will be finish his story before churning out more outraged, mealy-mouthed thinkpieces, the only thing the internet needs less than the end of net neutrality.

I don't think this thread has gotten very bad yet, how about you not backseat moderate and let people chat about a show. The "fat girl" talk was much worse.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Anyone outraged over the scene should probably remember that the show has been strictly surreal since season 3.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lowly posted:

I think this is the problem with the scene. I think in Louie's mind he was writing a scene that was a surreal and comically exaggerated as most of the stuff in the show. The problem is that many viewers have recognized the scene as something that actually happens. It's not a comic exaggeration to the people who have experienced similar situations.

I know that when we watched it, my husband was laughing at the scene, not because he thinks rape is funny, but because to him it was that surreal exaggeration that characterizes the show and I was sitting there in abject horror because it felt all too real to me.

For the record, I've been raped and I'm not outraged or horrified. I just thought it was weird.

e:

Mutation posted:

The surreal bits in the show are usually (always?) either exaggerations of what is going on to show us Louie's mindspace, or gags to make us chuckle.

That scene wasn't a gag, and Louie definitely wasn't thinking of himself as the creepy pathetic monster he was being right then and there. He was trying to be assertive and came off as pathetic and whiney, where the only real way he was dominating that situation was with being physically stronger than she was.

The Tonight Show stuff with David Lynch wasn't in Louie's mind. The Miami adventure wasn't either. Lots of things on the show are surreal.

I think the scene was definitely a gag, and just because he didn't realize he was being a poo poo during it doesn't mean anything. There are lots of times in the show where Louie is a poo poo and doesn't realize it in the moment. That's like, one of the show's central themes!

precision fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 4, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh poo poo, it's happening isn't it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pomp posted:

Louie's real life transformation from 40 year old bitter, jaded redditor to a 50 year old bitter, jaded feminist is pretty great, so far.

That's a really good way of putting it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bown posted:

Please explain where the evidence is, in the storyline, that the forced kiss led to him getting her, other than the sequence of events happening in that order.

I feel like a fundamental flaw in people's criticism of media is "if thing A happens before thing B, thing B is a result of thing A!"

It's stupid.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What do you have against season 3? I liked it more than 1 or 2, personally.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bown posted:

No Wave you must really hate Gaspar Noe movies

Ahahahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Audition is a brilliant horror film because of how much of a study in restraint it is. Very, very little of the runtime of the film is devoted to actually showing violence/horror. It's pretty much the polar opposite of another film of his, Visitor Q, which is pretty much a nonstop parade of :gonk: :stare:

• Locked thread