Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

"Oh the Louie thread has 33 new posts in it since late last night, I wonder how the debate is going"

*Sees LividLiquid posting through it*

"Oh gently caress this poo poo then"

Thanks for making GBS threads up yet another thread with your trolling/broken mind, idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

"Louie" is pretty good at taking real people and putting them into a sitcom/cartoon world where things like the garbage crew scene from 4x01 happens. The best thing about realistic characters? They're not perfect. Just because Sarah Baker gave a great monologue doesn't necessarily make her right - but it is how people do, and are allowed to, feel. Having characters with realistic flaws is the best thing about the show, it doesn't feel like you're watching a 22 minute recurring character sitcom where nothing ever really changes between the cast as they resolve each situation in the same way that whatever got cancelled last year did.

It's nice we have a show where the main character can take an absolute beating from the people around him in ways you know people keep to themselves in reality. It's why I like Curb Your Enthusiasm so much too - sometimes Larry David is absolutely right, sometimes he's wrong and you feel like screaming at him in absolute frustration. When show creators don't really care about alienating the audience from the lead character from time to time, you get smarter shows out of it.

This season has been absolutely amazing so far, but let's please not look down on s3 like someone earlier did. Sure, some of the episodes weren't of the calibre from s1/s2 but holy poo poo the David Lynch/Late Night arc was just... incredible.

e: the missing intro might just be more about giving them that extra minute to squeeze storyline in. It's gotten to the stage where the audience doesn't need a theme song to be interested, everyone knows what 'Louie' is now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Larry David is always right

Haha, that's totally making me want to rewatch all of CYE and somehow back him in every situation. I bet that would be amazing. Kind of how in wrestling TV shows, one of the commentators is always backing the bad guy, no matter what he does.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looks like last weeks episode used up all their 'fucks' then, given it was censored twice in the first episode.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jerusalem posted:

Parallels have been made between Louie and Woody Allen before but I was really struck by it when I heard Louie's "voice" and saw his mannerisms coming from a guy who reminded me of a young (and much physically fitter!) Woody Allen.

Yeah pretty much word for word what I was thinking. I really liked the flashback sequence and this season has been great so far.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jim DiGriz posted:

I can confirm that.

Awesome, I hoped it would be, because

quote:

"You're very stupid. You're not funny at all."

is just a further example of a 'doesn't make any sense, but is still funny' joke in the television show "Louie".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Hungarian girlfriend reminded me of an episode of Coupling (BBC version), where one of the characters met up with a girl who shared no common language with him. The flip side was half way through the episode, they redid the first 15 minutes but with the girl speaking English and the normal characters speaking gibberish.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PostNouveau posted:

This sounds amazing.

Good news! While initially disappointed I couldn't find it on YT, turns out the show is on Hulu. It's probably dated a bit as it's a British multi cam that's essentially a remake of Friends, but it's far far far better than the US version that was a further remake of it, and it had some genuinely funny ideas. I'm pretty sure this episode will work as standalone as it was from the first series...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/177553

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it feels a bit weird to post something like that in the Louie thread because they're worlds apart, but it's an oft forgotten little show that had at least one fantastic writer. It also has a special place in my heart because the guy who plays Jeff (the main guy in that episode) isn't Welsh despite his character having a strong accent, and I never considered it was put on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pron on VHS posted:

I was really blown away by the 2 episodes prior to these last two, the young Louie story. For me it is probably the best stuff the show has done.

It absolutely is*, and the show has been superb this year. If the same posters who repeatedly post the same whiny poo poo decide they're going to keep watching the show next season, then I'm just going to skip reading the thread because not even the ignore button is enough to clean up the loving mess here.

*although I still think the Late Night triple episode arc from s3 is the best thing he's done. Man, if this season started with those episodes and ended where it did... that would've been just one of the best all round comedy/drama seasons ever in my eyes.

• Locked thread