Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Not true. It was only picked up this week, after a full pilot was shot and screened.

nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Occupation posted:

Also the woman they have playing Catwoman looks loving weird as poo poo, like her whole face is some uncanny valley nonsense going on

I just saw this thread, and yeah, this statement is so god drat true. Theres too much space between her eyes or something. Or maybe the still photos are just taken at weird angles?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drifter posted:

So you're thinking the kids will get aged up after a season or less and we'll get semi-adults after? That could work, I guess.

They do have a pre-built time skip available to them if they want to use it (Bruce studying abroad and spending the next several years training with Lady Shiva or Ra's or whomever), so they could end a season with Bruce leaving the country, disgusted by Gotham, and have the next season pull from Year One and be set seven or eight years later.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Krad posted:

That's bull, we're getting a freakin' Flash show, there's no excuse at this point.

Flash is pretty cheap to make when you think about it. You just need blurr effects for when he's going fast, maybe CGI some effects like a tornado once in a while, then sometimes you need to drop cash on certain villains.

It's not like say Green Lantern where you need a dump truck of money for the CGI to create his ring effect he uses all the time.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
With a Flash series you get to play it all CSI too and add in the police procedural stuff to fill time/budget. Slapping a Lantern around the galaxy every week is bound to get expensive fast.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shadoer posted:

It's not like say Green Lantern where you need a dump truck of money for the CGI to create his ring effect he uses all the time.

You mean giant foam hulk-hands to punch things with?

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
I do like the idea that Gotham might be in the same continuity as Arrow. I think I would like to see a DC Earth where Green Arrow is the experienced crime-fighting vigilante everyone knows and loves, and this little "Bat-dude" is the copycat character, adored by no one.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Also, gently caress you, Billy Batson.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Drifter posted:

You mean giant foam hulk-hands to punch things with?

Let's take a look at the special effects of Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N00xwYNweL0

(Even String Foo is painful to pull off)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shadoer posted:

Let's take a look at the special effects of Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N00xwYNweL0

(Even String Foo is painful to pull off)

God I loved that show when I was younger.

That and Sorbo's Hercules (Xena was cool, but I liked Iiolas better than Xena's sidekick).

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Shadoer posted:

That would be fine and I hope your right. However Selina seems like she's going to be featured prominently.

I hope so. I always liked the Bruce Wayne-Selina Kyle dynamic and think it's perfect to put in a show like this. They are two extraordinary and resourceful people who were both shattered by the same city in their early childhood. One had the financial resources to brood on top of a hillside overlooking the city and decided he wanted to save it. The other slept in it's alleys and decided she was going to bash it's teeth out and look for gold fillings. I'd be down if they want to go all class warfare up in this show.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I really dont understand the people saying the trailer raised their opinion on this idea, it looks like fanfilm writing.

ONE DETECTIVE

"theres a stormwar coming! cant you see it!"

ONE MISSION

"This is war! we're at war!"

ONE CRIME

"The night is always darkest before the dawn something something"

massive spider fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 8, 2014

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Sam. posted:

"These are for you, Gordon."

This is my highest hope for the show.

edit- I agree with most in that I'm not sure how they walk this tightrope. Either it's a perpetual wink-and-nod to Batman without the payoff of him ever showing up, or you are basically doing a police procedural with a lot of corruption drama in the foreground? The former will have everyone's eyes rolling after a few episodes, while the latter is going to leave everyone wondering what they're watching.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 8, 2014

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

This is my highest hope for the show.

edit- I agree with most in that I'm not sure how they walk this tightrope. Either it's a perpetual wink-and-nod to Batman without the payoff of him ever showing up, or you are basically doing a police procedural with a lot of corruption drama in the foreground? The former will have everyone's eyes rolling after a few episodes, while the latter is going to leave everyone wondering what they're watching.

If it's the latter, why even tie it in to the Batman mythos?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Davros1 posted:

If it's the latter, why even tie it in to the Batman mythos?

The cynical answer would be that Batman draws a lot more articles and eyes than "new procedural #7" in the fall season previews...and maybe that's it. I just think that if that's the sole reason for doing it the show will just crash and burn after 3-4 episodes as opposed to no initial audience.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The cynical answer would be that Batman draws a lot more articles and eyes than "new procedural #7" in the fall season previews...and maybe that's it. I just think that if that's the sole reason for doing it the show will just crash and burn after 3-4 episodes as opposed to no initial audience.

This is honestly the best option, though, because it suggests there's some idea driving things outside of the Batman references. If it could be its own show and totally drop the Batman connection, it presumably has themes and characters it wants to explore in its own right. I wouldn't mind a bait-and-switch if the product they switched in was actually good.

Though, there are other known properties involving hard-boiled detectives or crime noir settings or whatever else they could have used, probably more cheaply or with less baggage than Batman. People have mentioned things like Seven, but even in a comic book setting there's Sin City, Dick Tracy, The Question, Max Payne, etc. The premise of a procedural in a corrupt, noir-inspired city is hardly untapped.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Krad posted:

That's bull, we're getting a freakin' Flash show, there's no excuse at this point.

We're getting a new Flash show!?

Man, I used to love the old one when I was young and stupid.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

massive spider posted:

I really dont understand the people saying the trailer raised their opinion on this idea, it looks like fanfilm writing.

ONE DETECTIVE

"theres a stormwar coming! cant you see it!"

ONE MISSION

"This is war! we're at war!"

ONE CRIME

"The night is always darkest before the dawn something something"

I think it has to do with the fact that a lot of people were expecting something along the lines of "abominable gently caress-up of cosmic proportions" and instead just got a crappy batman-themed show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

quote:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: My assumption has been that the reason this TV show can be done — rights-wise — is because Batman himself is not in it. That way, it doesn’t overlap with any films. Is that correct?

BRUNO HELLER: Certainly from Warner Bros. and DC’s business point of view, that’s why it can be done. For me, if they said, “Do Batman,” I would have said, “No.” I would have not been interested at all. I don’t think Batman works very well on TV — to have people behind masks. Frankly, all those superhero stories I’ve seen, I always love them until they get into the costume. And then it’s, “Oh, okay, they’ve ascended, they’ve stopped becoming humans.” It’s their apotheosis. They go to heaven and they’re Superman. There have been so many great versions of it. This is a version of something else entirely.

That sounds a lot to me like "We want a comic book show but not too comic booky" which is a bad approach.

And this one just gives me bad Smallville flashbacks.

quote:

Fox chief Kevin Reilly said the pitch version of the show was that the final scene of the series would be Bruce Wayne putting on the cowl. Is that right?

Yes, whether metaphorically or literally — something like that. But that’s six or seven years down the line. Hopefully.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/08/gotham-interview/

Also he said they will do The Joker. Which is not comforting news either.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Xealot posted:

This is honestly the best option, though, because it suggests there's some idea driving things outside of the Batman references. If it could be its own show and totally drop the Batman connection, it presumably has themes and characters it wants to explore in its own right. I wouldn't mind a bait-and-switch if the product they switched in was actually good.

Though, there are other known properties involving hard-boiled detectives or crime noir settings or whatever else they could have used, probably more cheaply or with less baggage than Batman. People have mentioned things like Seven, but even in a comic book setting there's Sin City, Dick Tracy, The Question, Max Payne, etc. The premise of a procedural in a corrupt, noir-inspired city is hardly untapped.

It's a great option until all your initial audience quits because they were sold a Batman show and get a weird Wire-esque network drama.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Deadpool posted:

That sounds a lot to me like "We want a comic book show but not too comic booky" which is a bad approach.

Actually I think this is a good approach and instills me with more faith in the show. Usually a live action series trying to go "comic-booky" like Smallville did turns to crap.

Deadpool posted:

Eh the point that he's pretty committed to featuring Gordon and not going down into Batman land is pretty good. Also that he recognizes the Joker as the "crown jewel" of the Batman universe is another point towards not loving up.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Deadpool posted:

Ehh, maybe this somehow means there will be time jumps during the series and perhaps it will eventually become more Gotham Centralish?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I hope so. I always liked the Bruce Wayne-Selina Kyle dynamic and think it's perfect to put in a show like this. They are two extraordinary and resourceful people who were both shattered by the same city in their early childhood. One had the financial resources to brood on top of a hillside overlooking the city and decided he wanted to save it. The other slept in it's alleys and decided she was going to bash it's teeth out and look for gold fillings. I'd be down if they want to go all class warfare up in this show.

This might be the first time we have a less stereotypically sexualized Catwoman/Selina on our hands, people. Making history.

I say that because hopefully she's too young to have to deal with that poo poo.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.

Shadoer posted:

Actually I think this is a good approach and instills me with more faith in the show. Usually a live action series trying to go "comic-booky" like Smallville did turns to crap.

Smallville's problem was that it wasn't comic-booky enough, and the more comic-booky it got the better it got. If you want to make a tv show that is not comic-booky, you shouldn't base it on a comic-book.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Deadpool posted:

Also he said they will do The Joker.

Yeah, everything I hear about this show just makes me more convinced it just isn't going to work.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I’m not at all concerned. Actually I would [pauses ... considers] — yeah, in that area, I would say in terms of what [director and executive producer Danny Cannon and director of photography David Stockton] are doing — visually — Gotham will surpass the Batman movies. The movies are a very rigorous, kind of Germanic take on that world. They’re visually stunning, but not particularly visually pleasurable. I would say this is much more on the street level of Gotham.

Ha! I'll still watch though, hopefully it won't be hate watching.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Pigbog posted:

Smallville's problem was that it wasn't comic-booky enough, and the more comic-booky it got the better it got. If you want to make a tv show that is not comic-booky, you shouldn't base it on a comic-book.

Really?

In early Smallville the best parts of the show were Clarks relationship with Lex Luthor and Lex's relationship with Linole Luthor (Infact everything with Luthor senior was awesome). Also the only good villain was Linole Luthor. And Chloe was also pretty awesome.

However almost all the "meteor freak" comic-esque badguys were terrible, virtually every villain they brought out to fight Clark from the comics was awful. By the end, when they had the most comic book moment possible, they had Clark punch Apocalypse the planet into the sun.

No if this is a show that focus more on the psychology and origins of these villains as well as Gordon and Batman, I think it will be good.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Cardboard Box A posted:

They would have to pay royalties to Brubaker and Rucka.

For adapting a work for hire comic book that was comprised mostly of characters created by other people?

DC is a division of Warner Bros, if you think they don't have media rights to all their comics locked up, you are mistaken.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
The logo has the police blimps! :unsmith:

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

SimonChris posted:

I don't understand why they aren't just doing a Gotham Central show. It's such a perfect premise for an original crime procedural.

They're getting pretty close - both Renee Montoya and Crispus Allen will be in this new series. (Inevitably leading, one can only hope, to :silent: and :ghost: by season five.)

Also, in other DC characters news, NBC is going to have the Constantine series, starrisng a John Constantine who's actually blond and English.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/08/nbc-constantine-to-series/

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Xealot posted:

Yeah, I think you're right.

I understand why this premise sounds cool on paper, but stretching a show about Batman out for seasons without seeing Batman sounds excruciating. The entire point of Batman is that he shows up as this near-cosmic force that totally changes the status quo. So, Gotham can't actually show any improvement to the city's situation, and its heroes have to be hopelessly outmatched. It's a really long first act to a Batman origin story.

Which sounds sort of cool for a season, but after that I can only imagine people thinking, "fine, great, but can we get to Batman already?"

Maybe they'll create lesser vigilante characters? The Question, or something? Or just trick everyone and make it into a new season of The Wire. Mr. Freeze shows up, but as a condemnation of the bureaucratic apathy inherent to for-profit healthcare. Killer Croc shows up, but as a metaphor for the pernicious and self-perpetuating nature of urban poverty or racialized violence.

I want an anthology-type show dealing with various Gotham citizens living in a city full of supervillains. Sort of like that one comic about the dry-cleaner who has to do work for gangsters that I remember reading once, I hope somebody knows what I'm talking about. Or that one TAS episode with the random shlub who everyone thinks killed Batman.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So you want Marvels, then

I agree, Marvels is unvelievably excellent

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Occupation posted:

So you want Marvels, then

I agree, Marvels is unvelievably excellent

No, he WANTS Astro City, but TV can't understand what made it so good.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.

Shadoer posted:

Really?

In early Smallville the best parts of the show were Clarks relationship with Lex Luthor and Lex's relationship with Linole Luthor (Infact everything with Luthor senior was awesome). Also the only good villain was Linole Luthor. And Chloe was also pretty awesome.

However almost all the "meteor freak" comic-esque badguys were terrible, virtually every villain they brought out to fight Clark from the comics was awful. By the end, when they had the most comic book moment possible, they had Clark punch Apocalypse the planet into the sun.

No if this is a show that focus more on the psychology and origins of these villains as well as Gordon and Batman, I think it will be good.

The reason the characters from the comics sucked was because the producers were afraid to fully commit to the idea. In the comic books Doomsday is not a sexy EMT, Brainiac is not a sexy professor, and Bizarro is not Clark Kent wearing a black shirt. Also Clark Kent is Superman, not "the red blue blur". They thought they were above the material, so their adaptions tried to strip away everything that made the material interesting in favor of playing it safe.
Compare the approach Arrow takes to its villains. They're comic-booky as gently caress, but they're behaving more or less like they do in the comics. The reason people like these characters is because they're outlandish and over the top. Trying to divorce the Batman world from "comic-bookyness" is insane, there would be nothing left of the premise but the occasional oblique reference.
If you don't like comic booky stuff, then why would you want to watch a show about Batman? What about that appeals to you?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xealot posted:

A Dick Tracy show would be so good, if it actually stayed true to the comic and had all the freakish and disgusting villains and gruesome deaths and Tracy's utter indifference to it all.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Going by the trailer, there's a nugget of a good show in here, but actually capitalizing it would require excising all of the Young Batman/Young Rogues Gallery elements. Adapt Gotham Central with, if you must, a Jim Gordon who is in his 40s, not his 50s (Gary Oldman) or 30s (Ben McKenzie) and some of the Gotham Central detective cast (Renee, Crispus, Romy, Marcus and Josephine). Primary focus can be a police procedural with serialized elements related to the endemic corruption in the GCPD, all wrapped up in the context of a city where Batman and the freaks that he comes to blows with exist.

I just don't see any situation where having Young Poison Ivy, Riddler, Penguin etc. hanging around can result in positive things for a series. And nevermind Batman being a snotty 11 year old boy.

I'll still probably be watching this, but more to see a live action Renee Montoya and Crispus Allen on screen (and not that goddamn "Detective Ramirez" in the Nolan films). Hopefully it doesn't suck too badly, but the premise is flawed at its core.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 9, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mars4523 posted:

Hopefully it doesn't suck too badly, but the premise is flawed at its core.

One of the biggest issues I have is that by its very nature as a prequel things can NOT get better. Gordon can eke out little personal victories here and there but for the most part things just have to continue to get worse and worse. The corruption has to deepen, the despair has to grow, the city has to become a more and more dangerous place with the rich distancing themselves as much from the poor as they can. There can't be any major victories or turning of the tables for Gordon, because the situation has to eventually reach Batman: Year One where the city is basically a living hell for anybody trying to just make their way as an every day person and Gordon is the exception rather than the rule when it comes to the police. You need a city on the verge of going crazy, where a man in a batsuit beating the poo poo out of mobsters causes some other very unbalanced people to go off the deep end too and become "supervillains".

A relentlessly depressing and grim series like that could work, but I don't see it working on Fox, especially if they're talking about introducing the loving Joker of all characters into the series while Bruce Wayne is still a little boy.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Mars4523 posted:

Adapt Gotham Central with, if you must, a Jim Gordon who is in his 40s, not his 50s (Gary Oldman) or 30s (Ben McKenzie) and some of the Gotham Central detective cast (Renee, Crispus, Romy, Marcus and Josephine).

Oh, god - I'd love to see Josie Mac in this show.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Xealot posted:

It's a great option until all your initial audience quits because they were sold a Batman show and get a weird Wire-esque network drama.

That's always a possibility but what other choice do they have, really? They're not going to get the rights to have Batman in it and I would think that it would be pretty obvious to everyone going in that we won't be seeing Batman for various reasons not the least of which is that Bruce Wayne is being played by a 12 year old. The alternative is just a lot of wink-wink fan service. And no one wants a repeat of Birds of Prey or Smallville.

They had another option. They could've done, basically, what Arrow did, gone with a Bruce Wayne in his late teens, who's just returned from the far east to begin his grand plan to bring justice to his city and honor his parents memory by engineering Gotham's phoenix-like rise from it's own ashes. He soon finds it won't be so easy. His company has been stolen out from under him and he has to navigate the diseased hydra of corrupt cops, corrupt city government, corrupt businessmen and nearly third world levels of crime all of which are in bed with each other and have roots that are so deep into the foundation of the city that they are practically the standard. The city hangs by a thread with a few honest individuals desperately trying to hold it together. Bruce's plans begin to form. He enters the game as a minor anonymous player, a kind of Oracle/Harold Finch/Deepthroat style character, and begins pulling string from behind the scenes. Along the way he forms shaky alliances with a young James Gordon, eager to change the system, and a burnout detective named Harvey Bullock. This is where we see the origins of Batman the strategist, his plans within plans. He makes low level contacts within the criminal underworld, orchestrating chain reactions that lead to chaos among the rival organizations. His enemies destroy each other. Eventually he takes to the streets in black tactical gear; a precursor to his eventual uniform to fight crime up close. All of this is interspersed with flashbacks to his ninja/detective/Houdini training at various locations and under various masters. And if it were done right it wouldn't matter that we never got to see him in full costume, because the show would be about more than just the Batman characters and universe. It would be about more than just the writers trying to figure out which obscure Batman villain they can make references to this week. It would be, relatively speaking, a slow burn. A Game of Thrones. A Sopranos. A drama. There's no reason you can't have well drawn characters the likes of Breaking Bad and The Wire or fantastic :tviv: plot like The Shield in a show based on comic book characters.

They could have gone this way, and they arguably would have done a better job of it than Arrow because 1: Batman is a far more interesting character than Green Arrow and 2: At least to me, CW produced shows always seem to have a weird fake almost cartoony look to them. I guess it's something with the way their shot and the sets. But Fox produced shows always seem to look great and realistic. But that's not what we're getting. For one thing I can't see a 12 year old Bruce Wayne having any real effect on the shows universe. Unless the writers/producers wanted to do something like Fresh which would actually be pretty awesome.

Ultimately, I think that a good, gritty, neo-noir serial crime drama is exactly what this show needs to be. Like others have suggested, basically, Gotham Central/Gotham Nights/GCPD. By all means make use of the Batman-Villains-Before-They-Were-Batman-Villains characters but use the Batman universe as a foundation for great dramatic television where all of the characters and the plot can stand on their own.

Anyway, I think it will be interesting to see how the show is formatted and it's nice to see it at least generating some interesting discussion.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mister Mind posted:

They're getting pretty close - both Renee Montoya and Crispus Allen will be in this new series. (Inevitably leading, one can only hope, to :silent: and :ghost: by season five.)

Also, in other DC characters news, NBC is going to have the Constantine series, starrisng a John Constantine who's actually blond and English.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/08/nbc-constantine-to-series/

Is she from the '80's?

• Locked thread