Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Was idly browsing German ebay and impulse bought a Hannover shirt:

My girlfriend and I also signed up to adopt a couple kittens next week (when they're large enough to spay/neuter, respectively).

plainswalker75 has a new favorite as of 00:18 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Guess where they came from :v:

Twill Paisley in charcoal, clover, coral, and wine. Almost as easy to work into an outfit as a simple solid color, but with more going on.

(Referral link)

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Toast Museum posted:

Twill Paisley in charcoal, clover, coral, and wine. Almost as easy to work into an outfit as a simple solid color, but with more going on.

(Referral link)

That is a beautiful shade of coral.

I bought a bunch of popsicles:

These ones are Margaritaville branded, but there's no alcohol in them, so they're less margarita/daquiri/pina colada flavored as they are lime/strawberry/coconut. Whatever.

Paletas! I actually got these three flavors together in a pack, but I couldn't find a picture of it on the Michoacana website. The walnut ones are my favorite!

Non popsicle purchase of the week:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

plainswalker75 posted:

My girlfriend and I also signed up to adopt a couple kittens next week (when they're large enough to spay/neuter, respectively).

I hope you lovingly hold the one on your left up to face level and speak to him in an offensively bad Italian accent.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Toast Museum posted:

(Referral link)

What kind of shoes are all the laces for?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ragequit posted:

What kind of shoes are all the laces for?

Dress shoes. They're narrow, but they look good in more casual oxfords too. Most of them come in 30" and 36". 30" gives a small bow on my 4- and 5-eye shoes, but I do straight bar lacing, which takes up less lace. If you're doing a criss-cross lace with that many eyelets, you'll probably want the 36".

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

I bought the Zombies, Run! and Zombies, Run! 5k Training apps for my iPhone. For about a year I was weightlifting and felt pretty awesome, and then I got depressed and fat again. I don't have access to a gym and I had so much fun just doing the first mission that I think I'll be able to stick with it. It's so encouraging even though it took me an entire half an hour to go just under 2 miles.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I just picked this up for when uni finishes in June:

https://deals.joystiq.com/sales/the-name-your-own-price-learn-to-code-bundle

Don't know if these are any good but the price is worth it alone!

jgrrr
Oct 3, 2007

&

fliptophead posted:

Tickets for my wife and I to go see Veruca Salt in September. 90s grunge :)

I saw them almost ten years ago, not sure if they've put out any new albums since, I think, one after "8 arms to hold you" but I had a blast at the show iirc.

Can't say I still listen to them though, hope you enjoy it!

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

jgrrr posted:

I saw them almost ten years ago, not sure if they've put out any new albums since, I think, one after "8 arms to hold you" but I had a blast at the show iirc.

Can't say I still listen to them though, hope you enjoy it!

They're touring Oz with the original lineup so I thought it's an opportunity not to be missed.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

All to attend Distant Worlds in Toronto on December 6th!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

NovaLion posted:

All to attend Distant Worlds in Toronto on December 6th!
Why did you get a lovely Express suit when you're getting a nice pair of $365 shoes and $4500 watch? :negative:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
As awesome as that watch is, yeah, you sound have done that a bit differently. Even if you just bump up to a Suit Supply suit. They are 500-1k, but if you got an Omega that shouldn't be too hard to swing.

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales

mhmmm

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

Josh Lyman posted:

Why did you get a lovely Express suit when you're getting a nice pair of $365 shoes and $4500 watch? :negative:

I suppose because I don't know anything about suits? And I'm just now discovering the suit thread. Hind sight, I guess, but I like the way way this one looks.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Or if you want cheap combatant gentleman.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

tentawesome posted:

I bought the Zombies, Run! and Zombies, Run! 5k Training apps for my iPhone. For about a year I was weightlifting and felt pretty awesome, and then I got depressed and fat again. I don't have access to a gym and I had so much fun just doing the first mission that I think I'll be able to stick with it. It's so encouraging even though it took me an entire half an hour to go just under 2 miles.

It's a lot of fun, it's one of the few ways I can get myself running by myself. I run obstacle course races all throughout the year, but running to train for them, I hate. This keeps me going.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

NovaLion posted:

I suppose because I don't know anything about suits? And I'm just now discovering the suit thread. Hind sight, I guess, but I like the way way this one looks.
The most important thing to remember is NEVER take at face value the appearance of a shirt or jacket on a model. The clothes are ALWAYS pinned behind their backs with safety pins to look good.

Since your concert isn't until December, if you have an Express locally that you can return stuff to, I would strongly encourage that. There are 3 main reasons:

1) Express is the Beats by Dre of men's clothing. Just as Beats is overpriced and sound bad, Express is overpriced and poor quality, even at 30% off.

2) In addition to the outer fabric and inner lining, suit jackets have a middle layer of horsehair canvas that give them structure and conform to your body over time. Cheap suits, like what Express sells, skip this canvas layer and simply glue a lining to the outer fabric. This means that when you get the suit pressed or dry cleaned, there's a good chance that ripples will form in the fabric from the glue. But even before that, it won't drape very well.

3) The suit is a wool/cotton blend - this is bad, not least because cotton wrinkles very easily. For your first suit (or any non-specialty suit), you want something that's 100% wool. That doesn't mean it will be hot or scratchy like a Christmas sweater though - the wool used for suits is fine and smooth.

The reason I'm pleading with you is because you bought Park Avenues when you could have gotten $50 dress shoes from DSW, and you bought a Speedmaster Professional when you could have gotten a $50 Timex. If you're going to buy nice accessories, why sabotage them by buying the suit equivalent of $50 crap?

When the suit comes in, try it on and post photos in the suit megathread. They'll be able to give you recommendations for something you can be proud to own.

Josh Lyman has a new favorite as of 14:34 on May 13, 2014

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Gag Reflex posted:

Happy birthday to me

Marry me.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Or you can let the dude just buy what he likes and learn from his mistakes. I like express shirts, especially for more casual wear. I've worn other brands and they all have things that nag me about them.

No need to go and type out a novel to explain to someone why he should return the thing he likes. Do people know they can get higher end stuff? Yes. Do they care? No. Why? Because it's not Beats by Dre.

Edit: I get upset when I see my friends buying AMD chips because it has sixteen cores or whatever, when they're never going to need anything of the sort, but I don't go off on them to that degree.

Eldritch BiLast has a new favorite as of 16:03 on May 13, 2014

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Do they come in blue?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Xenoletum posted:

Or you can let the dude just buy what he likes and learn from his mistakes. I like express shirts, especially for more casual wear. I've worn other brands and they all have things that nag me about them.

No need to go and type out a novel to explain to someone why he should return the thing he likes. Do people know they can get higher end stuff? Yes. Do they care? No. Why? Because it's not Beats by Dre.

Edit: I get upset when I see my friends buying AMD chips because it has sixteen cores or whatever, when they're never going to need anything of the sort, but I don't go off on them to that degree.
They are giving him good, helpful advice in a friendly manner. Keep on making poor purchasing decisions by yourself if you want but don't think that because you don't like helpful criticism that others won't.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xenoletum posted:

Casual shirts are one thing. I mean, all my dress socks are from Express. But a proper suit, especially your first suit? That's a whole different matter.

quote:

He doesn't actually "like" it though, he just thinks it looks good on the model, but of course it's going to look good on the model. He admits that he doesn't know much about suits, so why not start things the right way? The only, ONLY situation where it's acceptable for someone with the means to buy $345 shoes and a $4500 watch to buy an Express suit is if it fits him better than literally every other suit on the market. The quality simply isn't there.

It's one thing if he didn't buy expensive shoes and a luxury watch, but he did. Getting a bad suit when you've clearly demonstrated an interest in quality and the means to pay for it is literally like buying a Big Mac to eat with your $300 bottle of wine.

quote:

AMD CPUs aren't a bad idea because they have "too many cores". They're a bad idea because they're poor performance per dollar compared to Intel chips.

This isn't 2002. Friends don't let friends buy AMD CPUs.

Josh Lyman has a new favorite as of 17:26 on May 13, 2014

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

If you have $4500 to spend on a watch you can probably afford to fly to Thailand/Vietnam to get some suits tailored and made for you.

Josh Lyman posted:

like buying a Big Mac to eat with your $300 bottle of wine.

Nothing wrong with doing this, eat what you like.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Josh Lyman posted:

1) Express is the Beats by Dre of men's clothing. Just as Beats is overpriced and sound bad, Express is overpriced and poor quality, even at 30% off.

I used to get Express stuff all the time, but stopped when I saw how quickly they fell apart. Dry cleaning ages them horribly, and even laundering them at home doesn't save them.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I got a bunch of Express stuff recently (including a similar suit, which I posted) but it was at about 50% off so I don't feel as bad. Also I'm not in the "buying an Omega Speedmaster for a concert" income bracket sooooo.

Oh well, live and learn. I still like the suit--we'll see how much I like it after it starts wearing more.

HeySka
Jan 3, 2006

...or is it?

More lanyard supplies. Trying out a black option this time too.

Hoping to sell a few more on Etsy.

Shameless plug: Etsy link

Also just got back and paid for 4 days in Portugal (Cascais & Lisbon). Totally worth it and we have already booked another trip for a week in September. 70 degrees and sunny the whole time. Came back to 45 degrees and raining in Germany. loving German weather.

New albums off of Amazon.

HeySka has a new favorite as of 20:31 on May 13, 2014

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

A new pair of walking-around shoes. I like flat-black cross-trainers because I can wear them all day, I can run in them if I have to, and I can pass them off as dress shoes if nobody looks too closely.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Mysterious 70mm film from ebay. It appears to be a company that was doing 3D films (mostly theme park stuff). The tiny roll on top could be some kind of car commercial; I haven't had a chance to unspool the film in the metal can yet, but its some kind of negative.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

IMJack posted:

and I can pass them off as dress shoes if nobody looks too closely.

:negative:

Why do y'all do this to us

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

IMJack posted:

and I can pass them off as dress shoes if nobody looks too closely.

No, no you can't. Stop doing this. People notice, no one says anything to your face though.

Framptonlive
Nov 22, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Judge me.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

SaltLick posted:

:negative:

Why do y'all do this to us

I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a mans shoes?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

These are acceptable, but you have to do this before you put them on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTSk5cbaZso

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Excellent dress shoes

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

IMJack posted:

A new pair of walking-around shoes. I like flat-black cross-trainers because I can wear them all day, I can run in them if I have to, and I can pass them off as dress shoes if nobody looks too closely.

Do you have the specific name of these? I never find totally black Nikes and could use them for work (not dress shoes, don't worry ylls goons).

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales

Scarf posted:

Do they come in blue?

Yes bruv.. Etnies Dory, many colours.

http://etnies.com/shop/dory-5/navy-white/

Chekkum'out.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Along with new sheets a new pillow, lots of duct tape, a trip from the Orkin man, and other things.

My house has bed bugs :(

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Cards Against Humanity has another expansion out:

They are also re-selling the 2012+2013 Holiday packs if you missed those the first time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I grabbed that at PAXEast, it's pretty good.

First card in the pack is Sucking the Presidents dick.