Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

SpartanIV posted:

What's wrong with the Keurig brand makers?

They are popular and therefore not cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They are also the most wasteful, overpriced way to make a cup of coffee.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Bottom Liner posted:

They are also the most wasteful, overpriced way to make a cup of coffee.

:lol: this is a thread full of wasteful and overpriced purchases

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Didn't they recently take steps to prevent the use of 3rd-party/reusable cups? I figured it was about that.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Y'all need to stop messing around and just spend $40 on a grinder and a french press off Amazon.
Not only does it take ~30 seconds of labor and ~5 minutes of waiting, but buying beans is a lot cheaper and more environmentally friendly than Koffee Kanisters or whatever the Keurig ammo is called.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Foray 1.2mm pens, my preferred pen for marking student work.

Board markers to replace my dying ones.

Hopefully soon I can add my own lcd projector to my classroom arsenal...

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Y'all need to stop messing around and just spend $40 on a grinder and a french press off Amazon.
Not only does it take ~30 seconds of labor and ~5 minutes of waiting, but buying beans is a lot cheaper and more environmentally friendly than Koffee Kanisters or whatever the Keurig ammo is called.

If you're going that route, I prefer the Aeropress. It's basically a French press with a paper filter instead of a metal one. Whether it makes better coffee is a matter of taste, but it does seem smoother and less bitter to me than coffee from a French press.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Toast Museum posted:

If you're going that route, I prefer the Aeropress. It's basically a French press with a paper filter instead of a metal one. Whether it makes better coffee is a matter of taste, but it does seem smoother and less bitter to me than coffee from a French press.

I would like an AeroPress but the ol' ball and chain is concerned by the BOILING WATER AND PLASTIC CANCER RISK :byodame:

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I would like an AeroPress but the ol' ball and chain is concerned by the BOILING WATER AND PLASTIC CANCER RISK :byodame:

How is their current "cleanse" going? Maybe they should ask their chiropractor about it.

I bought a backpacking pillow: http://www.rei.com/product/830617/exped-air-pillow

and a tent footprint: http://www.rei.com/product/794297/rei-half-dome-2-plus-footprint

and an REI membership since I'm spending so much drat money there.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You might be in luck, then, because you're supposed to use below-boiling water for the Aeropress. I mean, I think the plastic could take it, but it's supposed to make up for the lower temperature with higher pressure to pull less bitterness from the grounds.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Seriously, just buy it anyway. Its like $20 and is awesome. Its quicker than a french press and way easier to clean. You can also get your beans ground (or grind them yourself) finer.

Toast Museum posted:

You might be in luck, then, because you're supposed to use below-boiling water for the Aeropress. I mean, I think the plastic could take it, but it's supposed to make up for the lower temperature with higher pressure to pull less bitterness from the grounds.

Yup, I use water that is ~180-190 for my aeropress, but I have definitely used water at a full on boil before when I was playing around with it to figure out exactly what I liked best. It's also dishwasher safe, so I doubt the boiling water is going to ruin it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
You shouldn't be using boiling water for a regular French press either...

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I prefer my stove top espresso. I managed to get a Bialetti mukka express before they stopped selling them. Takes like 4-5 tries to get the hang of packing the coffee in and you get espresso, cappuccino, or a proto-latte in like 4 min. You can also just make it into regular coffee with the Americano method.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Or you could get a Keurig and a reusable filter cup? Though I do find that the coffee that way is a little weak.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

MA-Horus posted:

Or you could get a Keurig and a reusable filter cup? Though I do find that the coffee that way is a little weak.

Apparently the newer Keurigs have some kind of cup DRM that prevents stuff like this from working (for now until someone finds a way around it) or some kinda nonsense like that.

I don't really care how anyone makes their coffee or anything personally but thats pretty silly.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Keurigs are weirdly expensive and that cup DRM is pretty draconian, but at least that's the worst you can really say about them. People here buy and love overpriced things constantly, and it's not like they're actively making the world worse. I mean, SodaStream has a similar business model (sell the machine, rip people off with proprietary CO2 refills at 10,000% markup), but their company is the direct beneficiary of ongoing war crimes.

There are things to get up in arms about, but products that are a little too wasteful aren't worth the effort.

mystes
May 31, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I would budget at least another $20-40 for that grinder unless you really love sludge.

Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.
I don't like coffee so I cannot contribute to this discussion.

Here is what I got:

Played it a bunch with a friend and decided it needed to be part of our personal collection. I recommend it!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Keurigs are weirdly expensive and that cup DRM is pretty draconian, but at least that's the worst you can really say about them. People here buy and love overpriced things constantly, and it's not like they're actively making the world worse. I mean, SodaStream has a similar business model (sell the machine, rip people off with proprietary CO2 refills at 10,000% markup), but their company is the direct beneficiary of ongoing war crimes.

There are things to get up in arms about, but products that are a little too wasteful aren't worth the effort.

What now?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Sodastream syrups are made in the occupied Palestinian territories.

rds
Nov 28, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

This is the route I'm taking. Not only is it cheaper, but I can just use the coffee I already know I like.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Count Uvula posted:

Sodastream syrups are made in the occupied Palestinian territories.

Well everything made in the US is actually made in occupied Native American nations.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Just buy a used Keurig - one that doesn't have the stupid as hell DRM. It's cheaper in the long run anyway.

Anyway, I bought this tonight while drunkenly watching the Orioles game:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Tulip Candy posted:

I don't like coffee so I cannot contribute to this discussion.

Here is what I got:

Played it a bunch with a friend and decided it needed to be part of our personal collection. I recommend it!

I suggest upgrading to the bullet, it's amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/BANG-La-Pallottola-The-Bullet/dp/B001037L8K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400813607&sr=8-1&keywords=bang+bullet

Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.
Doh! Canceled order and getting that one instead! Thank you for the suggestion! :dance:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Got this for cheap on the Kindle with the money from my change jar, because I wanted to reread it before the movie comes out. Plus I've got a ton of time to kill and nowhere to go tomorrow.

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and a pair of ruby slippers.
I need to stop, been spending too much money lately..

Because I'm sure I need it:

This I did need(ish):

Well I have to keep it clean don't I?

2 week vacation:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Kosh Naranek posted:

I don't think you're supposed to use that to wash your car. Bad for the paint.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I bought two more old collections from people for really low prices. These pictures come from the ad site, cant seem to get bigger ones.

All in all some 4500 more cards

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

obi_ant posted:

There are special attachments for car cleaning to make sure the paint isn't damaged.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I bought my wife a refurbished kindle fire HD plus a case\stylus\protector kit for about $145 all together. I normally don't spend that kind of money on electronics, but hopefully it should pay for itself after replacing a college text-book or two.

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and a pair of ruby slippers.

obi_ant posted:

It depends on who you ask whether they say it damages your paint. If you use it 2 inches from the car it's not good, but apparently if you have an angle on it and maybe 3 feet from the car it is fine.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Kosh Naranek posted:

It depends on who you ask whether they say it damages your paint. If you use it 2 inches from the car it's not good, but apparently if you have an angle on it and maybe 3 feet from the car it is fine.
I use an 1800 PSI electric pressure washer to clean my car sometimes. It hasn't caused any damage, and does a better job than about anything else I've used. Mine has two built-in detergent tanks, so I just throw a soap mix in one and Rain-X in the other and go to town.

edit: I'm not using the 0° death beam generally, which is the one that could probably remove paint, although I doubt it would do much unless I was really close.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 13:04 on May 23, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
A consumer grade electric pressure washer isn't capable of enough pressure to strip paint off of a car. You could use that all day every day an inch away from your car with the most aggressive nozzle it comes with and not have any problems.
Also unless Karcher has changed its design that will be a ticking time bomb - I had one and the plastic pump housing cracked after about six months of occasional use. Basically if you aren't spending at least $300 on a pressure washer consider it disposable.

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

Geoj posted:

A consumer grade electric pressure washer isn't capable of enough pressure to strip paint off of a car. You could use that all day every day an inch away from your car with the most aggressive nozzle it comes with and not have any problems.
Also unless Karcher has changed its design that will be a ticking time bomb - I had one and the plastic pump housing cracked after about six months of occasional use. Basically if you aren't spending at least $300 on a pressure washer consider it disposable.

Hopefully they have changed the design, I have not heard anything bad regarding Kärcher from people I know that have them. And also, it cost $400, but that is Norwegian prices.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Kosh Naranek posted:

:pwn:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
This is from the old thread, but just to jump in on the coffee chat... I bought an Impress Coffee Brewer a few months ago and I absolutely love it and haven't used my drip maker or my keurig since.

It's a self-contained french press/travel mug and it's awesome.

http://shop.gamilacompany.com/impress/features/

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scarf posted:

This is from the old thread, but just to jump in on the coffee chat... I bought an Impress Coffee Brewer a few months ago and I absolutely love it and haven't used my drip maker or my keurig since.

This actually looks pretty cool. I like my Keurig because I only drink one cup of coffee a day and I don't like to clean up too much poo poo afterwards. This looks like it fits the bill.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Scarf posted:

I would take the "filter technology prevents the grounds from brewing further after the coffee is pressed" with a grain of salt though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Geoj posted:

I would take the "filter technology prevents the grounds from brewing further after the coffee is pressed" with a grain of salt though...

Uhhh nope. It flat out locks all of the grains at the bottom of the container away from the brewed coffee.