Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

This $130 battery charger, for a $4 DeWalt drill/electric screwdriver I got at a garage sale. Still less than half of what the drill and charger would be new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

A Sony Xperia Z1 for the wife, so she can have a nice phone to not give a poo poo about. "No I'm not gonna update those apps, I don't use them." "How do I do $everything?" "But I NEED a smartphone!"

I haven't bought a brand new cellphone for myself since 2004 :smith:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I bought my cellphone in 2004. Had it for 4 years. Got one as a present after that, used it for 3 years, ever since that I've just used whatever was in the used/repaired bin at work. I went through every HTC from the Desire to the Sensation, and iPhones 4, 4S and now a 5C. I prefer to be on plans without contracts, so I haven't gotten a new phone through my carrier, and plans in Europe work a little differently than in the US anyway.

What I'm saying is that I can't justify a brand new smartphone for myself as long as I have access to any number of perfectly good used/older ones, but my wife did need a new one that's in warranty and works like it should out of the box since I'm sick of hacking together and repairing and supporting whatever I find for her at work.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
My birthday is in three weeks. Two years ago I got myself a new car as a birthday present. Last year it was a new watch. This year I get to pay off my credit card after christmas, a brake fluid service for the car and a new dishwasher to replace the one that broke yesterday :smith:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

For dad, from the kids.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I bought a really expensive Batman doll to go with the really expensive Harley Quinn doll I bought for my wife.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

ChocNitty posted:

An IWC Pilot homage watch by Parnis:

I have another Parnis homage watch, and they're good quality. Nice weight and movements.

I have one of their 44mm Pam homages, and I've been wanting a pilot forever, but there are just too many to choose from to make a decision.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

baram. posted:

asus xonar u7 for the same thing, since my current connection gives me a shitload of noise due to being a cheap mobo connection.

Good choice! I got one at a whim and was amazed at what it did with my cheap Steelseries Siberia V2s.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Aww yeah!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Pieced together from flea markets and our Craigslist equivalent, I went and got myself an early 90s Bang & Olufsen Scandinavian luxury stereo:

BeoMaster 7000 receiver
BeoCord 7000 tape deck
Beogram CD 7000 CD player
BeoVox Redline 60.2 speakers
BeoLink 1000 remote control

That black thing in front is a secondary amp for a second room, controlled by the main amp.

Total cost in the early 90s probably around $4000

I paid $75 for it all. And $3 for the Batman CD.

evobatman has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Mar 9, 2016

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

strangemusic posted:

But Sansui is really top of the line.

That's pretty much what my wife said.

Before I drained her blood, chopped her up and fed her to the cat.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
In my continued quest to be Woot Fatigue/Patrick Bateman, I picked up a Bang & Olufsen MX 4000 for $15, which is 1% of what it cost new.

I hooked up my softmodded Wii to it for some CRT retro gaming goodness, and when I get the correct cables it will integrate with my stereo that was posted before.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

ChocNitty posted:

It's for helping me to relax during hour long commutes in los angeles gridlock.

Doesn't your car already have a radio?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
An AKAI AP-307 direct drive turntable.

I don't have room, time or money to get into vinyl, but it was super cheap at the Salvation Army.

I think I might have a problem.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I bought this early iPod.

I can't explain it either.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Somebody made me an offer I couldn't refuse on my old stereo, so I bought a 90s supervillain stereo.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is it a hand-wave model?

Oooooh yes! I was sitting in front of it having great fun, and my wife asked me if I was going to make out with it.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Have you tried opening it with... you know... something other than your hand?

I really really wish you hadn't said that, because I hadn't thought of that.

Trip report to follow.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
My journey into early 90s luxury stereos and Patrick Batemanness continues with a Bang & Olufsen BeoCenter 8500 I picked up for €55.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

KingColliwog posted:

Is there any upside to this beside being able to do stuff like spin 180 degrees on your chair to great your guest while petting a cat or planning world domination? Like does this sound better than some lovely sony cd player? The thing looks huge

It's giant, and heavy, and obsolete. It has a cassette player on the opposite end from the CD player. It doesn't have regular RCA plugs or speaker connections, you have to use adapters. Most likely you would never hear a difference between this and any $150 sound system made today that takes up a fifth of the space if they were hooked up to the same speakers.

The design is Danish, while the actual electronics usually are medium-to-high-level off the shelf massproduced japanese parts, with some extra quality control, in-house software and tuning. You're pretty much guaranteed that it will never sound directly bad, and at the cheap prices for used stuff you're guaranteed decent sound for low prices. I collect these because I love the design elements like a nice piece of furniture, I like getting $3000 electronics for pretty much disposable pocket money, I can work on them and repair them as a hobby, and I'm happy knowing that the sound quality isn't trash.

B&O speakers are a bit more special, made with resonance-free resin or with built in amplifiers to bring lots of sound from relatively small sizes.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

ChocNitty posted:

You seem to know CD players, I just picked this one up a few minutes ago:

Marantz CD5004

It doesn't look cool or special, but are there good components inside?

I don't know anything about that one in specific, but just googling it and spending 30 seconds separating the more useful reviews from the marketing materials makes it seem like a very nice player. Everybody loves Marantz, and CD playback hasn't had any signifcant progresses or breakthroughs in the last 20 years, so most likely it'll be at least equally good compared with any other CD player out there, and probably better than the vast majority of them in any area that can be quantified.

And hey, I think it looks cool!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

ChocNitty posted:

Thanks. One more question, do you use generic RCA cables, or high end ones?

Generics. Use Monoprice, or similar quality if you're not in the US. High-end stuff is nice to play with, but only if you do like I do and get it at thrift stores, flea markets and from little old widows who haven't touched their husbands stereo since he passed away, but now needs the space for their yarn collection.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Combining my interests in retrogaming and old luxury electronics, I picked up a 28" Bang & Olufsen MX7000. It was their absolute top model at the time, costing around $3000, and has active speakers and a motorized stand to make it turn to face wherever your position is.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Since I now take the bus to and from work with 20 minutes of walking mixed in, I picked up a pair of headphones from my favorite brand. I even got them at half price from a place that was dumping out their stock.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Teach posted:

The watch is the end result of my selling up a load of cheaper watches over the past couple of months. The book is a late Christmas present - I got some book tokens in December and spent them this afternoon. I'm happy with both purchases so far, but both will reveal over time whether I've made the right decision.

You picked the correct watch! My savings have to go to a house downpayment, so getting one for myself is still many years in the future :(

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Spy_Guy posted:

I wanted to get into electronics a bit. So I got myself an arduino kit way back.

Then I thought, "hey, this is pretty fun. I should get myself an oscilloscope while I'm at it." :science:

I have no idea if this thing is any good or not, but it gets the job done. :shobon:

I have a fair few already. Lemme get some examples.
1. 2. 3.
  1. Curta standing atop my Hamann Manus R. Both own. The Hamann does division automatically and is my go-to desktop calculator.

2. Walther WSR-160. (yes, the Walther that makes guns)

3. Cellatron R44 SM. Fully automatical mechanical calculator. Posted it earlier in this thread. Cameo by a partially dismantled Friden STW-10.
    (video of it calculating the best thing in the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op6jho-KJbo )
Assorted albums:
https://imgur.com/a/2kAmo
https://imgur.com/a/9Zh7S
https://imgur.com/a/plC71

I picked up an Original Odhner model 127 from 1952 at the salvation army yesterday! It's CAKED in poo poo, this is a picture after a tiny bit of cleaning. The mechanism works super smooth though. I've never owned anything like this before, so I'm super fascinated!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Holy loving poo poo!

It's my dream to one day have one of these as a Sunday cruiser.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Found a lightly used pair seriously underpriced in our Craigslist equivalent. I'll probably flip them.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Bape Culture posted:

A boy wearing an engagement ring?!

I'm married to an American lady, and I wore my tungsten engagement ring on my left hand up until we got married. I now wear my engagement ring on my right hand and my titanium wedding band on my left. I did gather that boys wearing engagement rings wasn't common.

I'm sure there are etiquette experts somewhere that will freak out over this, but I don't give a poo poo. These are my rings, I know what they mean to me and I will wear the exactly the way I want.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I just picked up Darth Vaders turntable.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Because I can't loving stop buying 90s luxury electronics!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
An awesome old tape deck.

It's built like a tank, but the insides also look like they've been through a war. Going to need a full teardown and rebuild to deal with 40 years of solidified grease, slack rubber belts and assorted dust and crap on the inside.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Keetron posted:

This weekend I discovered that often ownership of stuff doesn't make me happy and the pleasure of the purchase alone is the reason my house is full of stuff.

While cleaning up and doing away with a lot, I have found that some stuff does add value to my life but only if I use it near daily.

Looking forward to buying less and having more time.

This is true. Getting rid of stuff feels even better than getting stuff now. Getting rid of stuff and getting money for it in return is almost orgasmic.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

I wanted a brand new record to test out the turntables I fix up. Sounds pretty good.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

A pair of white Beovox CX100 speakers to match my white Beosystem 7000 stereo. The previous owner refoamed them, but I still have to clean the outside of the cabinets and clean up the cloth.

They both have two 4" woofers and a 1" treble, and they can do 100W in 6ohm.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I went to a garage sale and bought two big boxes of random poo poo. After I threw out all the useless trash, I was left with these things:

Not bad for $20.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Open them up and clear out any cockroaches.

Luckily never a problem in Norway.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
For FREE I picked up a pair of Bang & Olufsen Beolab Penta Mk1 for my vintage stereo.

They'll need some TLC to be their old selves again, but you can't beat $0.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Are there any blogs or similar that tries ordering stuff from ads in 70s and 80s magazines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

spog posted:

Can you use old macs for anything?

I've always thought that the G5 Powermac's metal case looked really cool - but can it still do useful things if I bought one on a whim?

Heat your apartment.