Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Creepy Goat posted:

ughhh so jealous, I wish I had a family.

I bought like 20 Peanut Butter Kitkats because the shop only gets one box in every couple months and there's some fat kid in the village that always buys them all. Maybe he'll lose some weight now that I've outplayed him.

But now you'll be the fat kid.

I bought a 250gb ssd for a computer at work after accidentally swapping out the wrong drive and essentially stealing my coworker's 250 ssd, leaving him with a 120 ssd we previously thought was bad but seems to be functional. I just feel bad about my mistake so I'll give him the new 250 and give the 120 to a friend who still has no ssd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

rockcity posted:

Any house on a narrow lot is shaped like that just because they want to maximize space between houses. Beyond that, I don't see why it would be an issue since most people enter their own house through the garage that they park their car in.

Also if the garage simply wasn't there, you'd still have to walk around the two cars parked in the same place the garage exists anyway.

I bought tickets to see Michael Ian Black in D.C. for the fourth time.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Coffee And Pie posted:

My friends were all getting kind of sick of Cards Against Humanity, and I heard this was fun.

It is but it's really quick and gets old after a bit, which is good because you won't get sucked into a 2-3 hour stint like sometimes happens with CAH.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I just got to purchase 3 nvidia gtx 770's. Yay!

They're all for computers at work. Boo!

But we get to take the old 470's and 560's home or give to friends. Yay!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Lilleput posted:

I dont know how much you will get out of European prices but i paid 17500 DKK, thats about $3k

So is Europe ahead of us in providing 4k content? Are satellite/cable providers showing anything in 4k yet there? I got on the HDTV bandwagon pretty early in 2001 when there was precious little content but I haven't even put 4k on my radar just because there seems to be no real delivery medium yet. So Netflix has a 4k option? That sounds good but here in America we're in the midst of ISP's throttling Netflix's bandwidth until they extort more money from them/us. :911:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I had it done two years ago and the only incident is the suction cup style thing they put around your eye to keep everything steady didn't quite take the first time, so my left eye was a little bloodshot for a few days, but it didn't actually hurt or anything. Meatwave described it perfectly, if you managed to get over the weirdness of poking your eye with your finger to get contacts in and out, you handle the feeling of lasik. Whether you can mentally prepare yourself to stomach the idea of a RAZOR SLICING your EYE OPEN then RED HOT LASERS burning away your EYEBALL is another story.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Count Freebasie posted:

Decided to buy my "I'm-an-rear end in a top hat-weekend-car."

'87 5.0 LX. I've always wanted one.

Oh man, I learned how to drive on my dad's '88 5.0 LX convertible. Being the first car I ever drove I didn't fully appreciate it until I actually got my license and mom made him sell it for a used Camry because it had airbags.

Edit: Oh I bought a Pioneer receiver because it's been like 10 years since I got a new receiver. Glad the models with passive hdmi passthrough have come down in price.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Don't pull that trigger just yet smith, it all ended well because I ended up with a Corvette! Camry's are just fine for 16 year olds to carpool to school in. Especially since my sister learned on it afterwards and totaled it on the D.C. beltway.

Speaking of Corvettes, even though mine's a '98 these C4's are what I grew up wanting as a kid and I still think they are the coolest 80's body style outside of a Testarossa.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Astrofig posted:

Best $1.68 I ever spent.

I'm imagining this as just a reskinned version of QWOP. Please tell me I'm right.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

cname posted:

Your kayak looks like a vagina.

Well he is the little man in the boat.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Supreme Allah posted:

I got a wood toilet seat. Now I sit on wood to poo (and in the mornings, to pee)

I suspect at some point today you will price a wooden toilet seat.

No because that was the first thing I did when I first got a house. There is nothing like pooping on wood. Kudos to you, wood pooper.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Ishamael posted:

Sony MDR 7506. These have been my editing headphones for 10 years now and they are great:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E

But if you're looking for earbuds I don't know.

These are pretty comparable to the MDR-V6's which are also great, and even the MDR-V600's were fantastic though now discontinued. I've mainly used them all for video editing but also got a pair at home for gaming and music. I use earbuds for short trips on the metro but any time I take a plane trip I bring them. It's worth the bulk.

Also in a few years if the pads start flaking off get the velour pads to replace them. Very comfy.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
My girlfriend bought this not me, but its pretty adorable. (not my photo)

Not my kind of bike but she loves it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

spog posted:

Am I understanding this right: the game play is that when a button lights up, you press it?

It's like Simon the Next Generation!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Inzombiac posted:

And let's not forget how, SOMEHOW, all of Bruce Banner's children/grandchildren are all giant green monsters but he's still a normal dude who can hulk out. Like, I would accept him passing the hulk transformation on to his kin but they are hulked ALL THE TIME and are cannibals because Miller needed more violence somehow.

Isn't She-Hulk always hulked out though?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Admittedly I'm not a gun enthusiast but I don't understand what you do with a prop gun. Are you going to make movies with it or something? Do you use it to mark the start of races? When you fire it... what are you firing at?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Android Bicyclist posted:

My Boston buddy Liz Prince stopped by Portland on her "Tomboy" book tour so I got a copy & had her sign it.

Hey neat my friend was reading that a couple weeks ago. I met Liz once when I was in Boston as she's friends with someone I went to high school with. Nice to see her book doing well.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Bip Roberts posted:

Rowing isn't supposed to be fun. It's about hurting, puking, and waking up at 4:30 in the morning.

There's a 4:30 in the morning now?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

New GPU:

RIP my wallet.

I already know that I want a 970, but I just don't have any reason to get it before GTA5 comes out next year, and I feel like even if it doesn't go on sale by then maybe there'll be a bundle or f2p codes or something. Did yours come with any goodies?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Harley C posted:

Nah wrestling is cool, wearing terrible t-shirts isn't

I was trying to parse this statement in my head, thinking that maybe it's a regional thing. But from all the photographic evidence I've seen, the parts of America were wrestling is cool are the exact same parts wearing terrible t-shirts is fine.

What I bought: 4 bags of candy to give to trick or treaters. I'm normally at a friends place for halloween so I've only ever handed out candy at this location once years ago, not sure if I bought too much or too little.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

App13 posted:

Asus Strix 970. It's a graphics card.

Then why is it trying to hypnotize me?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

https://www.holidaybullshit.com/

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Toast Museum posted:

What sort of stuff do they send?

Last year it started out with little pieces of coal, but then you got exclusive cards for the game, there was a mini-game from another company I believe, a little newspaper-style comics section, and a game card with just your name on it which I assume is why they asked on that page if you got the christmas package last year so they don't send the same thing.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

I'm not hip so the only person I've seen wear these kind of pants was Justin Beiber on tv once and I just assumed that was a fad that began and ended with him.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Humerus posted:

Finally gonna upgrade my GPU from a Radeon HD6850. It's served me well but it's time to move on. :feelsgood:

16 days ago someone posted that here and I made fun of the fan stickers trying to hypnotize me, but since hearing about the low fan noise I was actually very interested in this card and started reading reviews. I see a lot of complaints about coil whine and others saying they were concerned about it but weren't experiencing it on their cards. After you receive it would you mind posting your experience with it? Same applies to App13 if you're still following the thread.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Growing up watching sci-fi movies I always thought it was interesting to see what kind of clothing people in the 80's thought we would be wearing in the 2000's. Some of it was outlandish and ridiculous, some of it seemed pretty cool and appropriately futuristic from an 80's point of view. But now we're here, in the future we've been waiting for, and this is what we have to show for it. We don't own jetpacks, our cars don't fly, and we glued a goofy ribbed sole to existing shoes.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I know a lot of people here buy Cards Against Humanity stuff so I figured I'd ask here. The "bullshit" that's for sale today they they describe as literal bull feces for fertilizing a garden... is this a joke or just really weird? Anyone see anything that leads you to believe it's anything other than exactly what they're saying. I'd hate for it to be some really cool surprise that I missed out on because I took them at face value.

https://store.cardsagainsthumanity.com/

Edit: vv could he just put a small towel underneath the mic stand?

davebo has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Nov 28, 2014

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Cacafuego posted:

Because my accord needed a new engine at 65000 miles, I ditched it and got this:
*Honda*

That's some brand loyalty right there. If my car needed an engine replaced at 65k and they didn't do it for free the last thing I'd consider is buying another car from the same people. Hope this one's better than the last!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Jesus loving Christ. I like booze, but not enough to burn three months of 40 hour work weeks to get two cases of it.

Yeah but it's like 10% abv so one bottle is like having two bottles of most beers. So it's only like a $25 bottle of beer. That's not far off what most sports stadiums charge :P

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

OptimusMatrix posted:

God I love these things.

Please let me know the second GTA5 for PC gets working with this.

Edit: nevermind this is the one you have to have the note 4 to use, I had thought they were simply integrating the note4's screen into the oculus interface.

davebo has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Dec 19, 2014

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

The Oculus already uses Note screens.

Okay I guess that's what I was thinking of then. So this Gear VR (powered by Oculus) lets you stick a Note 4 in front of your eyeballs, but the website doesn't mention anything about hooking it up to a PC to use with games like the Oculus Rift can? And the Rift is aiming to lower the cost a bit when it hits a consumer model, which would put it not too far from the price of this note4-holding device? I assume in 20 years we'll be able to play Far Cry 19 at max settings from our cell phones in 3D but for now isn't the ability to use your VR headset with a powerful gaming system sort of a given? Or is this a feature that'll be integrated later?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

Still makes more sense than Yamaha.

A company known for dirt bikes, motorcycles, and...musical instruments?

When you say Yamaha I think sound equipment because I have a sound board of theirs sitting on my desk, and I don't often ride dirtbikes. What people most associate with Yamaha kind of depends on the person you're talking to. The second thing I'd think of are boat engines. Mitsubishi and Fuji are like that too, they make a lot of very different things.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Josh Lyman posted:

Do it. It's the best all-around case. Street price is $110 + shipping, but you can clear $100 w/shipping if you want for a sale.

I got the R4 fractal case a long time ago and loved it so much I used the same case on a bunch of different builds. Just remember to keep those filters clean.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Robawesome posted:

Just received what I think must be the last gift for Cards Against Humanity's Kwanzaa holiday thing...

They bought an island in Maine, named it Hawaii 2, and sent everybody who participated a deed for one square foot of the property and permission to visit and use the land for recreation anytime

I enjoyed the map they gave us, but if anyone is curious as to where it actually is here's an article with a google map embedded.

http://www.pressherald.com/2014/12/24/game-maker-cards-against-humanity-buys-remote-maine-island-and-changes-its-name-to-hawaii-2/

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

LTBS posted:

I got a remote start for my gay car. It's a Viper. I got it because it gets cold here and hot here and I like a comfortable car.

I also got a JL Audio 10" Sub with amp and box.

I don't have pictures of any of this because it's installed in my gay car.

This post couldn't have been more confusing. Is it a Viper brand remote start or is your gay car a Dodge Viper?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
A friend rented a party bus on Saturday and we went up to Baltimore to take a tour of the Union Craft brewery. My purchase was their oatmeal stout called Snowpants. I enjoyed it but that was at like 2 PM so it was already my fourth beer and I'd have a hard time recalling the difference between every other oatmeal stout I've had. When it comes to 10% double IPA's I'm not always a fan of the taste but I find it's less wasteful to come home from work and grab a Domion Double-D IPA and be done with it rather than going through two of a regular 5% beer. I'm trying to watch my girlish figure.

My purchase today was almost $200 worth of sink/shower fixtures because I've been telling myself things are "good enough" as they slowly sink into disrepair, but the girlfriend is having guests over this weekend and leaky faucets with crusty showerheads will not stand. Brushed nickel for everyone!

davebo has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Jan 12, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Pukestain Pal posted:

Welcome to my city and it's great beer! Did you hit up Heavy Seas too?

Well thanks. I mean I've lived in Maryland my entire life so it's not like I was new to Baltimore, but Union started in 2011 I think so I had never been there. We did go to the Heavy Seas restaurant afterwards and I had a delicious Cuban sandwich with fries and I don't even remember which beer because I've had most of theirs at some point and I was pretty drunk by then.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

This has been my favorite peanut butter since I went to the nyc shop. I think the world trade center was still standing so I guess I'm too old to be eating pb&j all the time but gently caress it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

whatshesaid posted:

I just saw the email today from the Mister C. K., and I cannot wait to buy and watch it tonight!

It had been so long since the Beacon Theater special I had forgotten my password. I enjoyed the password reset email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

I agree that the Moto X line looks nice, but the Droid lines look ugly as sin, IMO.

Too much channeling of Extreme PC Case Mods from 2005.

Does it matter though? I don't think I know a single person that doesn't have their phone in either a case or with a designed skin applied to it.