Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Bogan Krkic posted:

Doing skids is dangerous and should be banned, you're a menace to society.

I've bought tickets to go see these guys:

I think the most fun I've had at a concert was the Aquabats in 2008. I saw them again last year and since their kid's show it's definitely a different crowd, but still a great time. I wish they came to the east coast more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

dreesemonkey posted:

Now, what accessories to buy?

I think of the accessories I've gotten since the first hero hd the most used and most borrowed has been the chest mount.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why would you want to mount a pair of tits on a camera :confused:

Image stabilization.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Complete digital archive of Opus and Bloom County as well as Outland via https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Was 15$, but might be a buck or two more since the Opus/Outland archives are both "Pay 5$ more than the average!" to unlock.

I'd throw so much money at these guys for a Far Side collection.

Ahh man, that's a good deal. I think I have too many of the physical books to bother though. They should give you mp3's of the two Billy and the Boingers songs.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I've been debating getting the Asus strix gtx 970 a few people bought in this thread months ago for a while, and finally pulled the trigger today. Loaded up GTA5 on my ps3 the other day and realized when it comes out on pc I want to be able to crank every possible slider up to 11. Now when the hell is oculus rift coming out?

Edit: vv that's good to hear. I was concerned about the coil whine some people are getting on the 970's but apparently if I'm unlucky enough to get it you can alter the clock speed until the power draw plays nice with your psu and it'll disappear.

davebo has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Mar 14, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
What was nice when they first introduced the DSG in the Golf was it had an actual 6-gear shifter in the middle, just without the need for a clutch pedal, so you kind of had that fun gear-shifting minigame as you put it. But obviously there was no real need for it and that quickly turned into paddles and the simple up/down shifting with the lever. To bring all this car chat back around to purchases, that gtx 970 I ordered arrived today, and in addition to GTA5 I had already preordered, I pre-ordered Project CARS on steam which isn't out until "mid-May". It's great getting a fancy new toy then sitting around waiting for new stuff to play with.

Edit: it's not a purchase except in the sense her mom bought it as a gift, but fedex left an apparently expensive michael kors purse on my porch as an early birthday gift for my girlfriend, which was promptly stolen before either of us got home. Folks, never check the "no signature required" FedEx box unless you're familiar with the recipient's house and neighborhood. I've had no problem with little amazon packages that fit in the storm door but I imagine Neiman Marcus ships purses in big gaudy steal-me boxes. Neiman Marcus is apparently sending a replacement though so that's pretty cool of them.

davebo has a new favorite as of 22:31 on Mar 16, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

budgieinspector posted:

It kinda reminds me of Frank Cho's style. Just needs a Shanna the She-Devil stabbing the crap out of it.

I can picture that. When I saw it I immediately thought of the dinosaur imagination sequences from Calvin and Hobbes.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Oneiros posted:

In addition to HBO, I just spent far to many :10bux: on some crystal glassware:

Dang when I saw tenbux I thought maybe someone had finally mass-produced a knock-off of the blade runner glass and I could finally justify buying a set.

Speaking of spending too much money, a pothole in D.C. destroyed a (crappy oem) tire and bent a rim, so my solution was to buy all new good tires and wheels I actually like.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Got the Houzz link by chance?

I assume its this one:
http://www.houzz.com/photos/14118339/CiBi-Old-Fashion-Crystal-Glass-Set-of-2-contemporary-cocktail-glasses

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

big mean giraffe posted:

This. I have a 32 GB I keep maybe 10 gigs on because otherwise it takes a year to index. Every time you turn the car off.

I have complaints about the Microsoft UVO system in my car but thank goodness it only indexes my 16gb plug when I take it out and change its contents.

My major beef is that it plays tracks alphabetically by ID3 song title, instead of using the filename which I have numbered for albums. So I end up going into every id3 tag and adding a number before the song name before I put them on the stick. I don't want to live in a world where Welcome to the Jungle plays at the end of Appetite for Destruction instead of the beginning.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
My question is if they're only able to serve ~10 people an hour how do they stay in business?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

FishBulb posted:

I'll be honest with you I put 0 thought into how much power it used when I bought it :shrug:
:911:

I bought beer. Balt from Union Craft brewery out of Baltimore. When I got it home I noticed the cans were sticky and disgusting but I guess it's okay since you pour it into a glass anyway. I'm going to hope its sticky from other beer spilling and not... anything else.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Jerry Cotton posted:

Smart woman. Performance really doesn't matter unless you're towing something. What matters is seeing out of the god drat vehicle and since women are (generally) shorter than men, sitting up high is a good thing.

But getting an SUV just makes the entire vehicle taller, it doesn't help you see the road in and of itself. You still need to properly adjust the seat height/position like you would in any car. I've seen plenty of short people driving SUV's who aren't sitting in the correct position are are therefore completely oblivious to the cars immediately surrounding them.

Speaking of cars I purchased 4 tire pressure sensors for the wheels I got a while back. Guy who did the wheels didn't realize my oem wheel's sensors wouldn't fit the new ones, so he said he'd install them for free once I bought them.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

App13 posted:

That ugly pixel knife is worth about $400 steam dollars. Not sure how much that translates to real, actual, spending groceries money quite yet.

So it's a good thing.

But it was a box you just opened, not something you "purchased"? Man go turn that into real monies and tell us what you blow it on, quick!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

colas posted:

I remember them being labeled in 2005 and earlier.

The first ATX form factor case I used in 1998 had them labeled like that. Although it was a decent case. I know the case I got in 2003 had every single pin from the front USB ports labeled individually, and damned if I was going to bother hooking all those up.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Ihmemies posted:

LED bulbs are funny. Basically I can keep all my lights on for the same price as 1 60W incadescent bulb. So I don't need to worry anymore about turning lights on & off all the time.

Yeah this except still turn your lights off when not in use because why on earth not? Using less energy than hundred year old bulbs isn't the same as using no energy.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

strangemusic posted:

It's called an orthopedic or Visconti grip and was apparently invented when one Signore Visconti lost two fingers in an accident and couldn't use a regular grip. It's made out of metal with a plastic insulation, and you hold it like this (mine's left-handed because I'm a weirdo):

Which two fingers did he lose? I'm looking at that photo and trying to imagine how many combinations of two missing fingers you could have while still maintaining a useful grip on that thing.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Jmcrofts posted:

Found a sixer of these at Wal Mart of all places. Delicious.

Of the two alcoholic root beer's I've tried this is the better one. I normally stick to beers but my gf loves these and they make great root beer floats.

Edit: I bought a 6 pack of Union Craft Anthem Golden Ale. It's good but I like their Balt altbier a little more. And if anyone is around Baltimore/MD also check out Jailbreak Brewing company in Laurel.

davebo has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Aug 11, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

plain blue jacket posted:

very good choice even if it isn't a bosch. I have a Makita circular saw from the 80's that still works perfectly and is a pleasure to use. Makita is a lifetime investment imo.

All this Makita talk reminded me I had a drill on my Amazon wish list since my old old drill from the 80's my dad once gave me finally died, so I took all this Makita-talk as a cue to finally move it to my cart. Also bought a door handle and suntan lotion so overall not the most thrilling checkout experience.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Ropes4u posted:

Bought my dogs a place to sleep while I work.

That seems like a weird way to do a 3 car garage but man would I love to have a 3 car garage. Was it built like that or was there a renovation at some point?

Edit: Hey Summit is actually the closest track to where I live, but I haven't been on it since a training class in the mid-90's. How many cars do they generally allow on the track at once?
Double-edit: looks like that day is for bikes only so wouldn't apply to me, but out of curiosity what's their bike capacity?

davebo has a new favorite as of 04:40 on Aug 21, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

rockcity posted:

Why is that a weird way? I live in a new build community and every house with a three car garage looks basically exactly like that.

I don't know, I don't recall seeing any houses in my area done that way so maybe it just seems weird to me. It's like one big garage with a single-car door on the side then someone built a lower two-car garage sticking out in front of it. I need to see how it works on the inside to understand the flow of it and where it connects to the house' interior. I just image searched for 3 car garage floorplan but all I saw were pretty basic designs.

Edit: searched for one with "tuscan" in it that had some results. I guess I was expecting some sort of reason for the third bay to be recessed, like a wall or partition of some sort, but it seems like most just have it as one wide open 3-car garage on the inside but with 2 feet less space in front of the third bay?

davebo has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Aug 21, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I just bought this as well.

Ditto, seemed like a good birthday present for my sister, thanks thread. Of course since I was on amazon for that I also bought a comb, a screwdriver and a K&N air intake filter for my car.

Edit: the comb is for my hair, the screwdriver is to leave in the boat for my wakeboard bindings, the air filter is for maximum horsepower boost and incredible mpgeees. Actually I had a K&N on my last car and just liked how infrequently I had to clean it.

davebo has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Aug 24, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

daishan14 posted:

I found a website with prices too good to pass up

Is the website a secret?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Seems close enough to what I experience but keep in mind a lot of people actually do sit 3 feet away from their monitors.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Inzombiac posted:

Daaaaang.
I have a 42" Vizio that I picked up at CostCo around 10 years ago and it's never had a problem. Stay my hand, I may need to upgrade.

I got a Vizio just a couple years ago and it just happened to be the one model that had atrocious input lag, which made playing Rock Band pretty aggravating and eventually got a new receiver to try to compensate for audio lag on tv and blu-rays but man I can't wait to find a reason to ditch this thing and get something new. Stop giving me ideas everyone.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Make sure you replace it with a curved tv so you can hide more Tom Cruises in the gaps between the edges and the wall.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

tribbledirigible posted:

Well poo poo. Shopping for an engagement ring got a hell of a lot more confusing since I proposed to my wife. It used to be just cut, clarity, and color. Now you have to worry about curve and cruise too?

Yeah I gotta stop opening thread tabs at work then replying to the last post an hour later.

I bought this: which I'm happy about because previously in the variety pack they ditched the Abbey Ale for their Belgium Tripel which is nice but I can never find the Abbey Ales in 6-packs so I prefer having it in the variety.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

calandryll posted:

If you ever want a 6 pack of it, they sell it here. Of course I'm about 4 miles from the brewery itself so I can get it super fresh and ship "yeast samples" to you.

That's right neighborly of you to offer but my previous solution has always been to just buy more and more variety packs. I figure better to just have more beer overall and the Double-D IPA is like 10% so if I have that I don't have to drink as much but I have a box of 12 so there's so much I may as well drink a little more and now I'm out of my favorite of the three so it's time for another variety pack and now look how much beer I have I may as well have some more and NO i dont want to eat your yeast you gross wierdo im just kiddng yuor the best

Edit: vv Dogfish actually has a restaurant about 10 minutes from me which in addition to their beer has really good food.

davebo has a new favorite as of 22:51 on Sep 8, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

blarzgh posted:

After I wrote a check to this place

That's not in Tulum is it? I went to a place that looks a lot like that for a friend's wedding but I don't remember the dolphin statue so I could be completely wrong.

Edit: nevermind, just did a google search, they might not have had the dolphins back then but yeah that's it. I was younger and didn't drink much at the time so in retrospect I could have had a lot more fun at an all-inclusive resort like that, but I definitely remember drinking my fair share of something blue.

davebo has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Oct 8, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Echeveria posted:

Also, my cat that was sick that I posted a vet visit about passed away last wednesday.

I'm sorry you lost a cat.

kreyla posted:

A friend gave me this excellent year old cat because he wanted a better life for her than his nasty basement bachelor apartment.

I'm sorry you got a cat.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

dpack_1 posted:

(I just needed some casual winter poo poo, drat it goon!)

I'm trying to imagine the combination of weather and temperature that would necessitate a short-sleeved hoodie.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The percentage of goons with guns seems a lot higher than the overall USA ratio, internet user ratio, and (especially) males aged 23 to 35 ratio.

I doubt that though. Gun owners just really like them so they get posted about often. The people who don't own guns and instead like cars probably aren't as inclined to post about a $40 air filter they bought. You get a disproportionate amount of stuff in a recent purchases thread about shoes and guns because those are things people buy to show off and they're expensive enough to bother posting about. I do like the mundane posts about dog food and movie tickets though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

As a cameraman I would like to ban all clothing with thin detailed patterns at risk of causing any moiré video effects.

I bought a used Asus laptop for $250 because I needed a backup now that we do all large screen projections via hdmi. I'm upgrading it to Windows 10 now just because I don't like it but feel I should have one computer with it just so I'm familiar.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Toast Museum posted:

poo poo, thought I had it in there. Here you go. I'll edit it into the original post.

Out of curiosity, do higher-resolution recordings and displays cut down on this problem at all?

Well back in the 4:3 days you'd get it all the time with good quality cameras and monitors, but the thing about those days is there was so much color bleeding and signal degrading that it would end up smoothing all images so you actually wouldn't see it very often, especially on stuff as garbage as VHS tapes or anything that used a composite signal. Now that everyone has HD cameras with HD monitors and most signals are digital it certainly feels like you see it more, but the patterns that cause it seem to be a lot finer than they used to have to be at 640x480. Despite being 4k capable now, we've yet to have any call to shoot or edit in 4k yet so I can't speak to that being better or worse.

It's a lovely shirt though, I just wouldn't wear it for your first TV interview.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I bought an engagement ring and the wedding band to go with it. It's the most money I've spent in one day since I bought my house in 2005.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

An outlet with USB plugs:

Would installing these essentially be the same as leaving the charger plugged in 24/7 so you're just always wasting a small amount of power, or do they have some sort of cut-off to detect when nothing is plugged in to them? I like the idea of them but I'm one of those drop-in-the-bucket types who tries to avoid unnecessary drains.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Cards Against Humanity had a Black Friday sale where you give them $5 and they give you absolutely nothing. So I bought that.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I assume you could use a paddle to steer like a regular kayak, but that black fin in the rear may articulate using whatever that black thing is at the very top of the frame to the user's left.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Solid Cake posted:

I absolutely hate being cold. I'm always chilly when everyone else seems okay and it's getting to the point where I basically have to wear a coat in my office building to not be uncomfortable so I broke down and ordered a internally heated hoodie.

As someone who lives with someone like you, kudos to you for actually purchasing and wearing appropriate clothing instead of just complaining and demanding the heat be jacked way the hell up to cater to your weird biological defect.

And speaking of Nathan Drake from a few posts up, I bought the Uncharted Collection for ps4, but it was as a gift. I also bought memory for a laptop, but really that's for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Bottom Liner posted:

Surly is having a 50% off clearance on all fatbike a actually. They make some of the best, and this was $900. They're so different and just pure fun, like riding a bike when you're a kid all over again.

I also hopped on that deal and got a green regular Surly. So that's at least 4 of us from the mountain bike thread that they snagged.