Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Coffee And Pie posted:

What make you say that? I've handled a few pairs and they all seem really solidly constructed.

I've seen the opposite, my Florsheims have been much better quality. Also, CH makes some ugly-rear end shoes that leave a bad taste for the ones that look a bit better. Shopping at eBay is still the best for quality in that price range.

Salt Lick, I just got that bike pump a few months ago, love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

colas posted:

Sam Adams IPAs aren't bad. They're just "ok, whatever". I'd just grab Boston Lager if I'm getting Sam.

Their winter lager is quite good, if you are a fan of bocks.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

You can get these courses for stupid cheap if you catch sales. I've gotten five courses over the past three months for a total cost of six bucks. I'm currently working through A History of England from the Tudors to the Stuarts, after finishing that fantastic Egypt course.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Lotus 79 in iRacing, because my safety rating is too high :v: This car is a ton of fun, but it bites hard.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Got this because I want to step up to a real racing sim and it turns out iRacing is borderline impossible to play with a 360/PS4 controller. Also because Valve VR & the Rift consumer versions are coming out this fall and I want to be decent at iRacing and Project Cars by then. By all accounts both games work amazingly well with a Rift & steering wheel setup.

One of us one of us one of us

If you don't have it, buy the Skip Barber. Once you suck (a bit) less, join us in the iracing thread, and in the GoonCar series where I almost have secured the Season 3 championship as long as I don't massively gently caress up :woop:

We also have two or three teams running the Twelve Hours of Sebring at the end of the month, but you need at least a D4.0 license for that.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Scarf posted:

I'm a big fan of ESBs, English Pales, and Kolsch, so I'm gonna shoot for an english pale to start.

Kolsch beer is so good, it's a shame it isn't more widely available.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Scarf posted:

It is here, Coast brewery (here in Charleston SC) makes the best drat Kolsch I've ever had. I'd take it over Reisdorff and Gaffel any day. They've even started pint-canning it :dance:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16354/39238/

Better than Reissdorf and brewed on this continent? :drat: I've gotta find some of that here in Wisconsin.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

You got this for Euro Truck Simulator 2, right?

If so, he's gonna need a bigger shifter.

The biggest gripe I have with my Fanatec is the lack of a shifter. They make a cheap shifter set, which looks very frail, and some nice ones that cost a ton. All the other manufacturers that I know of are the same way.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Those shoes are the bees' knees

:rimshot:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

This is right on that excellent tightrope between terrible and fantastic, which is the same reason I own the goon bike jersey.

I bought some scrap denim, fusible, and navy thread to reinforce my APC New Standards. They are awesomely broken in, way more comfy to wear than lounge pants or pajamas, but that comes at the expense of strength. After hand washing and reinforcement of the most stressed areas like the crotch :awesome: and key pocket, they should be good to go for a while.

E: sick fades brah

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

This is a good shoe. I've got a pair in burgundy, and two pairs of Busenitz - light and dark gray.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Android Bicyclist posted:

Twelve of these

Leinenkugel's Big Butt Doppelbock

This is some good stuff. I have tried a few different bocks this season, and this one's my second favorite. I could only get one glass of my favorite, as the brewery was just running out of that single-run batch when I first found out about it :(

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

SgtScruffy posted:

A Camelbak-knockoff for running and mountain biking now that the weather is warm, and a Dream Theater Blu Ray because I love watching grown men masturbate in front of other grown men

:gizz: sweep-pick :gizz:

But for real, they do a great live show.

And I grabbed a six pack of Big Butt Doppelbock and I'm enjoying one while watching the basketball game. Good poo poo.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

My freshman year roommate's family had something like that, he drove their tank thing to school once. It was pretty boss.

2012 Giant Anthem X1. I wanted to get a new hardtail this season, but I checked Craigslist for shits and giggles and found this. I'll need to service the shock and the fork before I put too many miles on, but I'm excited to chew up some trails on my first full-squish bike.

And it's got a dropper post! :circlefap:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

88h88 posted:

Those are nice bikes. Also 26" wheels foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

:ssh: it's a 29er :ssh:
I can't wait for all this rain to get out of here so I can really rip up some dirt.

Also, you drat well better have done some Subie donuts in the previous post.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Why the gently caress would you need a 40" TV for the bedroom?

I just got a bottle of Riesling, and it's delicious.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

What year is it? I thought for a second you meant 40" was too small, and I'd almost agree. Big TVs are cheap as poo poo, and they don't even take up much room anymore. Might as well go big if you're going to use it frequently.

Maybe I'm just old school, but I just use my bedroom for reading, loving and sleeping.

Then again, I have upright and electric basses and a computer with triple monitors in the second bedroom, so I don't really need a TV in the gently caressbedroom.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

So much better than the watch chat of the previous pages, excellent purchase. Congrats!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The best part was when they announced the New 3DS, they also announced new models of the 3DS.

:wtc:

I'll stick to my pc games - if it doesn't work well, just turn down settings.

I just got Dirt Rally on Steam Early Access - let's see if Codemasters can pull off a decent rally sim/game that isn't just a Ken Block rallycross circlejerk... It's got terrible force feedback and it's a ton of work to get my wheel to feel at all decent, but the courses are nice and tight and the AI isn't stupid easy like previous Codemasters titles. We'll see how this one progresses as they move towards a true release.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Jefinabox posted:

5010 carbon c frame

pair of pikes to go with above frame

Jesus gently caress I'm jealous, that looks like an awesome build. What else is going on it?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I live pretty close to Hook's Cheese (just a short drive from Mineral Point) but there's no way I'd drop 200 bones on a block of cheddar... but there's a gently caress ton of great cheese making in the region. The only limburger producer in America is a short drive from Mineral Point, over in Monroe :science:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

Bought a pair of these:

Adidas Samoa Retro. Hopefully they are up to the thread's distinguished shoe standards.

I don't like the way they fit, I go with Busenitz or Sambas instead. Good shoes all around, just depends on how they feel for you.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Wax Dynasty posted:

That's a drat good looking car but something without airbags and crumple zones is a death trap at highway speeds.

Worth it to drive a car like that.

I just re-upped at iRacing.com because I like driving internet racecars. I saved half off the normal cost of $100/year, so I'll probably put that savings into buying four or five tracks when they do their next promotion in a few months. I've got most of the road tracks, but I just bought the Late Model stock car and I need to buy some ovals :shepspends:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

colas posted:

I'm a big Gran Turismo fan, is this anything like that or is it more simulation-y? Is GT dogshit compared to recent sims?

If you want forgiving but still believable physics, and think graphics are more important than AI or netcode, you could try Project CARS on PC or console. If you want to be a big boy and drive something that actually drives like a real car with cutting-edge frame twist and contact patch physics models, then rFactor 2 might be for you. If you want to race against the best sim drivers in the world with some of the most accurate cars/tracks and some drat good netcode, then iRacing is pretty awesome as long as you have the cash for a wheel and all of the content for the series you want to compete in.

Or if you want to gently caress around in a beta-stage rally game, get DIRT Rally. It's a hoot.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

I bought a wall mount, 50m of Cambridge audio speaker cable and a giant clock

Widen your soundstage brah - get the most from that setup. With your fronts so close together, it's currently kinda pointless to have the center channel.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

That's dope, sweet colorway

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Lilleput posted:

Bought a new phone.

Xiaomi Note Pro

How is the battery life?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Lilleput posted:

Same as every other high end Android phone. You will get a full day out of it with 4ish hours of screen on time. A charger at work is probably a good idea.

Cool, just making sure it can compete with US mainstream manufacturers.

Content:

My 3220 just doesn't have the balls for triple 1080p iRacing with a full field of cars. This should last for quite a while, so I should only need to get video card upgrades every so often.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

codespace posted:

Google and Apple both manufacture their devices in Chinese factories.

Yup, big brands and knockoff brands can be manufactured in the same area, but they often are spec'ed with different levels of component quality and QA. It sounds like this brand has similar finish to the brands commonly found in US pockets.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Daimo posted:

For 20 dollars, fantastic!

With $7 instant savings on top of that, so it's stupidly inexpensive.

cool kids inc. posted:

Why did you get SATA II cables when your MOBO is SATA III and your optical drive almost certainly is too.

Because the cable is not going to be the bottleneck there. I have gone three years with no disk drive at all, so it's not going to get very heavy use anyway.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

And a shitload of assorted puppy stuff, crate, ex-pen, etc. We get to bring him home next weekend!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Lascivious Sloth posted:

so cute. golden retriever?

Golden poodle mix, we want a larger dog that won't aggravate my wife's allergies and there aren't any Samoyeds within a few hours' drive. He will be fluffier than a golden, but it's hard to say how fluffy until he is a few months old. The shelter has had a few that keep straighter hair until around five months, then it's like the dog gets stuck in a curling iron when the poodle hair shows itself.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Mandolin, because I am terrible at playing instruments tuned in fifths and at reading treble clef. I'm pretty terrible - I'm still trying to hold the thing correctly but it's totally different from what I'm used to for bass and guitar.

Also bought a Kirby because allergens suck and a stupidly expensive vacuum/shampooer is obviously the answer.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

88h88 posted:

You also appear to have a Bill Fitzmaurice Jack...

Loaded with an Eminence Kappalite 10 for my upright bass gigs, and just out of shot is an Omni 212 TallBoy with Deltalites for gigs where I want to really rattle the floors. Great cabinets.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Did you buy it used, or from one of their actual door-to-door salesmen?

From a salesman, we were going to get a Dyson but we also wanted a decent shampooer, and once you include those it gets expensive enough to consider a Kirby. We were able to negotiate down a decent amount (still stupidly expensive) and it's really simple to dismantle to remove all the hair that clogged our previous vacuums and shampooer.

Plus, the wife is happy, and our puppy discovered that it's fun to pee on the carpet as we hook up his leash to go outside... it's getting used pretty often. We can return it within a short timeframe, can't remember how long, but it's probably going to stay here.

The Science Goy has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Sep 14, 2015

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

And a new watch. Again. I think it's an addiction.

SARBs are so cool, it's on my list. I've got other things to waste money on before I get another watch, but a SARB is a definite contender for my next watch.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Got a bargain on this...

Denon AVR-X2000 receiver. I went to a local high end audio shop to get a new Bluetooth speaker for work. I asked the guy helping me if they might have something older or used in the $100 range to replace my ancient Onkyo receiver which has been acting up lately.

They had the Denon I bought laying in their workshop for months with some superficial shipping damage. They sold it to me for $100 even. Brand new aside from the dented chassis and typically sells for around $400. It sounds so much better than that antique Onkyo. I'm over the moon happy with it.

I've found that just asking somebody politely if they have a bargain that may not be advertised the people that work in these local shops will hook a person up. I even got a discount on the boombox!

Great receivers, I got one when they just came out. The inboard interface is a bit clunky - the smartphone app helps tremendously. I use mine all the time to stream Spotify or Internet radio.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Got some more Pupperoni, liver treats and a big bag of food for this fatass.

Charlie Barker is getting big, going through food like crazy. We had to switch brands too... Eukanuba got bought out and between the buyout supply chain change and the packaging change, nobody can get their products in stock locally.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Still have to mount it to my cockpit, but the load cell is so much better than a potentiometer for braking.

E: less tiny image

The Science Goy has a new favorite as of 02:54 on Nov 20, 2015

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I bought a used button box to add to my sim racing gear. After $2.88 in various mounting hardware and such, I got it attached to my cockpit and programmed tonight. Once I land on a more solid button map I'm going to print out labels instead of using post-it notes :v:

The button box is a definite improvement over blindly reaching for my keyboard macros. Once I memorize the button layout I won't have to take my eyes of the screens to use the controls. And it looks boss as hell :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Koruthaiolos posted:

Why go through the effort? Cheap labels are more authentic anyways:

Because the post-its keep falling off :negative:

And a printed label is easier to decipher at a glance than my chicken-scratch handwriting. That picture is basically what I'm expecting for the end result, very basic with high contrast.