Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Action-Man posted:

Everyone here is wrong.

This (wo)man knows what they're talking about.

Slimy Hog has a new favorite as of 00:30 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I bought a DIY toy SLR camera because I like taking pictures and building things.

The thing is, the mirror came with a finger print on it, and after wiping it off, the mirror looked WORSE not better, so I have no idea what the photos will look like. Also, I had to remove a gear to get the photo counter to stop jamming the film. So I have to manually keep track of how many lovely photos are left in my roll of film...But I had a ton of fun bulding it and can't wait to send off my roll to get developed!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

RangerScum posted:

Unless the mirror is so dirty that you can't tell what you are taking pictures of, you have learned remarkably little about how your camera works despite putting it together piece by piece.

I was definately exaggerating, but there are places on the mirror that are smugged so when I look through the viewfinder I cannot tell if my subject is in focus or not.

The photos will be lovely no matter what because it is a toy camera.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Pondex posted:

What he meant was that the mirror isn't used for taking the picture at all. Only for focusing.

And what I meant is that part of the mirror is smuged so I cannot tell if my subject is in focus or not, but it is not as bad as my first post made it seem.

CONTENT:

I bought two of these kinda recently:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Humerus posted:

Link? Can it be bought on Google Play or (if necessary) iTunes? I've got a commute now and I could use something like this.

It's on Audible. http://www.audible.com/pd/History/T...24820649&sr=1-1

Subscribe for a month, get this book then cancel. It's a whole lot cheaper that way and you get to keep the audiobook forever.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

codespace posted:

IKEA has some cabinets that get pretty small/narrow that have rollup doors like that in aluminum, might be a good place to start if you live near one.

For content,

Had to jump through some hoops to get this purchase to authorize. Apparently, my payroll Visa card doesn't process international transactions and the game is only available for purchase through their website. Unfortunately, I live in the US and Frontier Developments is based in the UK, so it kept declining.

Ended up handing my roommate $60 and using her card.

Really excited to give this a shot; I've been craving a space shooter for years and it doesn't look like Star Citizen is going to deliver anytime soon (if ever).

So much fun; get yourself a stick if you don't have one already.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

You should take your earplugs out when reading the forums.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Wait, you're saying that they didn't take a picture of some cheese that they dropped on the floor?!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

This son of a bitch, which has an unhappy ending:

A Sentey Brio 5200mAh portable charger, I bought it to replace a larger-capacity charger whose size and heaviness was more cumbersome than I'd like. By comparison, I love the smaller dimensions and relative lightweight quality of this one.

The problem is that, either by defect or design oddity (male into-device plugs wobble significantly, and don't really lock-in), the thing does not charge things consistently. Sometimes, it'll do it fine. Other times, it takes a bit of finagling to begin charging. Other times, I can watch it charge something for a minute before disconnecting, then reconnect again. I've tried multiple charging cords, so I know it's the device.

Really annoying, because like I said, it's a well-sized portable battery that I bought and initially used with great excitement.

I bought this the other day and I love it.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EF1OGOG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The led coming on when it is shaken will only reduce the battery life by 1% for every 1000 hours or something crazy like that, so there is no worry. It's smaller than a glasses case and only weighs as much as a small paperback book. (these were my only concerns so that's why I brought it up.

I apologize if this link is a referral, I'm not sure how to fix that or turn it off or even check if it is.

EDIT: It also looks like it's the same size as the one you linked a photo of.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

That's not a very sexy label for lube.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Where I Live.

Woman: "I want it where I sit up high."
Man: "But what about literally every one of hundreds of other qualities that differentiate vehicles from one another like perform..."
Woman: "Don't Care."

Some quality gender stereotyping right there.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

tentawesome posted:

I bought both Amtrak and Megabus tickets so I could go home for a weekend without risking the imminent death of my car. Not sure what I'm going to do at Chicago Union Station for two hours at the buttcrack of dawn, but oh well.

What day/time?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

What's "ismar" and why would I want plus of it?

I think it detects the kind of device plugged into it and charges at the highest safe amperage in order to charge most efficiently.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I needed a new bag and this was recommended in the k-12 teaching thread.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

That's the opposite though.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

A pound of dice...5 pounds of grapefruit candy...

I like your style.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Ancient Roman coin. $5

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Yep. Bought it from the forums.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725289

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I hope you got these at the same store.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rubiks Pubes posted:

P38 can opener

I swear by these. In fact, I would rather use one of these than a regular can opener many times. (I buy lovely can openers)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

I bought a present for my boyfrand.

Is that a pin?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Through a recent amazon deal ($25 when at my local store it's $50, pretty good deal if you ask me!).

I hope it's fun although I've heard it's a little unbalanced.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Moacher posted:

My suggestion: When in doubt of the legal rule in a situation (and trust me, you will be in doubt. Badly and often.) just go with thematically appropriate house rules. It's a great game, you just have to make poo poo up on the fly sometimes.

Awesome! I just read through the rules and it has a part that pretty much says this.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Ms Boods posted:

:hfive: Lost in Space buddy. I was about 8 or 9 in 1974, and it ran in syndication on the local indie just about when I ran in the door from school; the mad, later John Williams opening score (with the countdown) + afterschool sugar had me bouncing off the walls like a hummingbird on speed. My nephew's not much younger than I am, so we spent a hell of a lot of time playing on my swingset pretending it was the Jupter II -- he always always played the Robot.

I gotta see if I can get this in R2 -- Mr Boods has never seen the TV show; he's only seen the film and didn't even realise there was a TV show that went with it.

I am only 26, but I grew up watching Lost in Space on the Sci Fi Channel every morning when my mom dropped me off at my grandma's house before school.

I was the weird kid whose favorite tv show was a black and white science fiction show that none of my friends knew about.

I might have to pick up this set.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I spent a couple of hundred dollars on basic supplies for my classroom just to find out that there was a supply closet that we can get things from if we just ask....

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

M42 posted:

I caught a nail in my 1 month old tire on the way to the track, and the tire guy only had supercorsas. I found it on the second session, and I wasn't about to waste the last track day of the season, soooo....

:homebrew:

Why do you cover up your tail lights (I'm assuming that's what the blue tape is covering) for riding on a track?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

SpartanIV posted:

How do you even eat that much bread before it goes bad?

Or FOUR gallons of milk?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

ArmZ posted:

fyi you cut things in surgery

fyi you mentioned a bike frame when people were talking about knives.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

That's some weird BSDM gear.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

dreesemonkey posted:

I know it's probably mediocre at best, but I mean come on, $35 (7" Kindle Fire)

Where?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

RCarr posted:

They are guaranteed to make a kid run faster and jump higher.

That's PF flyers

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Ms Boods posted:

So I just blew a wad on clothing:

My wife really wants to know where you got that dress.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Just brought not one but two Chewbaccas since Build a Bear has a 2 for £30 deal.

Both Xmas presents.
One for my kid who loves Star Wars and Chewie in particular and one for my friends kid who has no idea who he is and has never seen any Star Wars.

I appreciate that you posted pictures representing both of of your build-a-baccas.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Aramek posted:

This, again.

You should buy a toothbrush.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I Am Not Spor posted:

Optimus Crux Lite. It saves .4 ounces off of the regular Crux! And it's ~4 ounces lighter than what I've got right now.

First backpacking trip of the year is in six weeks. Time to :homebrew:

Nice buttplug.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Geoj posted:

:ssh: it's a backpacking stove.

That doesn't mean that I was wrong.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

What theme/icon set is this?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

From a non-profit bike store

And

because I hate money.

:homebrew:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Just loving lol if you buy an android watch in 2016.

Ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

travisray2004 posted:

Sorry for bumping a post from several pages back but the gently caress is this? Are the prices any better than the usual bike shop?

Check it out!

http://www.workingbikes.org/

If you click on "The Shop" in the upper right, you can read a little paragraph on how it works.

And yes, the prices are better because the bikes are used, but all the worn parts fixed/replaced.