Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Not so much purchased as inherited. My girlfriends dad passed away and their family bestowed this awesome old school SLR upon me.

I only have that one lens for it so far until they find the rest of the stuff that goes with it. I've been loving diving back into film photography. NOTHING is automatic on that beast. I've been learning a ton about proper photography just learning how to use it.

I also inherited a meat slicer, a grinder and a couple of nice food dehydrators. I've been gorging on delicious jerky for weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
I got a new bike.

It's a Giant Roam 2 2015. Hydraulic disc brakes, a nice fork and killer hardware. Got it at a shop that was closing for $400 vs $750. I'll be riding the poo poo out of it until I have to shelve it for the winter. It's one of the nicest bikes I've ever been on. Riding it is so effortless and smooth I can't imagine going back to my old cycle.

The same shop had everything under the roof at a deep discount so my youngest boy got a Giant too.

That's a $300 bike I that sold for $125. He was riding a Huffy before.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Got a new TV. Its a Toshiba "58 4K. Upgrading from an 8/year old " 40 Sony Bravia. The difference is staggering. I can't wait til there's more 4K content to see. I got it at Sears for $1100 saled down from $3000. I feel like I got a bargain.

http://m.sears.com/toshiba-tos-58uhd-58l8400u/p-05771896000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=05771896000&kispla=05771896000P

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Got a new watch. It's the classiest thing I own now.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
I've been looking for a nice pair of casual slip ons. Found a pair of Tsubo Carrados for $12. They're usually $100 shoes. Bargain of the week for sure.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

obi_ant posted:

Wow. Where at?

An outlet store called Gabriel brothers. I'm pretty sure they're only in the northeast. A lot of their stuff is either factory seconds or warehouse buyouts. It takes a little time to find the right sizes and double checking to make sure zippers and seams and poo poo aren't totally hosed but I get all my clothes there. All name brand stuff for a fraction of the typical cost. I highly recommend them.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Jerry Cotton posted:

Seriously those look like shoes only 70+ year olds would wear :confused:

Are you over 70?

I'm not ancient but I've outgrown whatever the hell most shoes have become. Alot of the sneakers I see look like some kind of day-glo nightmare from 1991. It's like a giant highlighter monster has been going around and making GBS threads in the dye vats at the shoe factories.

I like my new shoes. They're comfortable and look classy with jeans.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Blendy posted:

Hey, I'm glad you like your shoes and they are comfortable but let's not go around throwing out words like "classy." The soles and shoe construction are solidly not classy. If you like the shoes I'm not going to say that's wrong but if you wanted something nice you could have found some loafers. There's a big gap between the sneakers your talking about and all the types of shoes you could have bought. If you're interested in shoes check some of the fashion threads on SA. One suggestion would be look for something like on the model in the photo of the pants I just got.

Content:

Books

The main reason I got them is because they were $12. And they fit well and they're my style. I saw a nice pair of wingtips at the same store but they didn't have my size. My everyday boots are my pair of Red Wing safety hikers I need for work and my Iron Age 8 eye metatarsels. I don't get many opportunities to wear my other shoes, which consist of a pair of Merrel low tops, Timberland docksiders and a very worn pair of Doc Martens. I know what a really classy shoe is but I rarely if ever have a chance to wear something like that. Pretty much anything not a boot feels uptown to me.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
I didn't know my shoe purchase would cause such a ruckus. I kinda took it as a "Hey grandpa, lose the lame-o kicks and get yourself some of this poo poo"...

Its OK though cause I pretty much am a lame-o with my plain old shoes.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
I bought some new wheels for my car.

The stock ones were shedding chrome at an alarming rate. They were never in balance and constantly leaked air. These will look awesome too.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Last time I posted my new shoe choice it became a monster derail. Hopefully most people can agree that Merrell shoes rock. My old pair is three years in and pretty much beat to poo poo so I got these...

They're a bit spendy but they are unbelievably comfortable and last forever.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

nocal posted:

Well don't worry, your taste is apparently consistent.

PCOS Bill posted:

I had a pair that looked like that in 1993

Oh goddammit. What's wrong with my shoes this time?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

They're ugly.

On that last page there's a pair of red, white and blue plaid what ever the fucks, some old school pumas that apparently can't be worn with "raw" denim for fear of jean stains, some beer puke colored sauconys and black sneakers that have been exposed to bees.

How do the safe as milk hikers I bought qualify as ugly? I promise you I won't be wearing them to weddings or any hipster jamborees. If those shoes should happen to fall victim to the scrutiny of the people at the supermarket, bike trail or auto parts store I will surely tell anybody that dislikes them to go gently caress themselves.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Anybody that posts about their new shoes, or any other thing they've bought is calling attention to that thing. Its kind of what this thread is all about. Twice now I've posted my new shoes and twice I've been told my shoes suck. I don't think my shoes suck. Actually, my shoes probably do suck if you're used to Italian OJ Simpson murder shoes or some sort of neon nightmare sneaker that these crazy kids are wearing these days. I will take a photo of every shoe I own and put it on here so you can all tell me how much I suck. Because I pretty much do suck when it comes to shoes apparently.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Thanks for the solidarity. Here are my horrible legs with my ugly shoes on the ends of them. Your legs are nice but those shoes are sort of silly.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Toast Museum posted:

The toggles? What's out of place about them?

That jacket would be better with buttons, or just a zipper. Those giant loop things are horrible and I think he should be dragged into the street and beaten to death with big clubs for having those on his jacket.

Aside from that, all the other stuff looks really nice.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

:content: new vacuum because my old one died and my dog sheds like crazy.

I just got a new vacuum too. The cats are shedding like crazy and the old Bissel was a piece of poo poo to begin with.

Its a Pro Team 15. It looks really plain but its unbelievably powerful and built to last. It truly does suck.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Helios Grime posted:

And I also ordered a bike since I now live in the city I also work in. So commuting by bike is actually possible.

Even in a city environment, what's the appeal of a single speed bike? I used to commute on a cycle and found a mountain bike with smooth tires took the abuse pretty well and having gears is nice if you find yourself traveling up a grade.

I just bought this back in the fall..

Its a Giant Roam 2 hybrid. I'll finally be getting a chance to ride it more since the weather is turning. I would have loved it back when I was commuting and couldn't imagine anything else being better suited to the task.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

colas posted:

Simplicity I think. Fixed gear bikes are also used by cyclists wanting to train harder (since you can't coast).

I'm not sure I understand. So a "fixie" is actually just two sprockets connected by a chain with no coasting? So there's no freewheeling and your pedals will spin with the wheel? Its not even like a kids bike with a coaster brake? That sounds like an incredible pain in the rear end to deal with.

I think of a commuter bike like it should make it as easy and comfortable as possible. I understand wanting something that takes more effort for training purposes though.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
I understand the fixie thing now but it still don't really get it. I ride recreationally and its extremely hilly around here so I sort of pick a gear for whatever hill I have in front of me and pump up it. When there's a bit of downhill I gear down and pedal till no faster I can go then rinse and repeat. This is country road stuff so in don't think I'll ever want anything to do with a fixie. My Giant is perfect for what I need it for.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Echeveria posted:

I bought an oil change for my civic. It was expensive, but I just needed to get it off my list.

You can get a jack, some jack stands and the tools to do an oil change for under $100. It takes less than an hour to do on most cars, costs about half of what a shop would charge and its immensely satisfying to do your own work on your car.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Autozone, and a bunch of the other chain stores take it back for free. I'm pretty sure they get paid for their waste oil so they have no problem taking it. Autozone in particular has specials on Mobil 1 and filters all the time. I swear by Mobil 1 in my car. Its worth the extra cash up front for an longer change intervel.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Helios Grime posted:

Personally I think it's also an aesthetic thing, it's nice to have a very simplistic bycicle. Honestly it's the main reason I picked a single speed this time around.
If i still lived in a bit more rural part or needed to ride on country roads from times to times I probably would have picked a cross bike or something alike.

I figured it was an aesthetic thing mostly since it attributed to hipsters a lot. I can also see how it could be a fun novelty to ride around on. I'm gonna stick with my 27 speeds and disc brakes for myself though.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

rockcity posted:

Yeah, I'll never go back to not doing my own oil. I'd recommend Rhino Ramps personally. You can get them on sale for like $40 and they're a lot faster to use. Once you have the tools oil changes are about $20 for traditional oil and $30 for synthetic.

Ramps are definitely easier but both my car and my girlfriends sit fairly low and have long front bumpers. Unless there's some sort of longer and less steep ramps I'm stuck with the jack stands.

Buying a Subaru Forester is by far the easiest solution though. The drain plug is pretty much right behind the bumper and the filter is right on top of the engine. You don't even have to lift the car at all. Its a 10 minute job on one of those and that includes waiting for the last of the old oil to drip out.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Echeveria posted:

I don't have a garage, so I'd have to get on my back on our incredibly uneven and lumpy gravel parking spot, which might do in the summer, but I'm not doing in canadian winters.I also have absolutely no space left in my tiny house to store poo poo. I know how to change my own oil, it's just not very practical for me right now. I keep trying to convince my husband we should build a garage, but he just isn't buying it. I could also put a jewelry work bench out there and not have to worry about the cats getting into gem stone and drill bits.

I have a lumpy lovely parking lot too. I have some chunks of wood to steady the jack stands and a big thick piece of cardboard to lay on. I try to do it inside the in-laws garage when I can too.

I understand why some folks would rather pay to have it done. It is a dirty job and it only saves a couple dozen bucks. I genuinely enjoy working on cars though. I get a nice sense of satisfaction from getting a little grimy and then standing back to admire a job well done. Even if it is just something simple like an oil change.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Got me a new precious. Nexus 6 on Verizon.

So far I love it. Much faster and prettier than my old MAXX. Battery life isnt as good as the MAXX but it'll make it through a day of heavy use. A few minutes of charging buys a lot of runtime though. Motorola just kicks rear end at phones these days.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Got a bargain on this...

Denon AVR-X2000 receiver. I went to a local high end audio shop to get a new Bluetooth speaker for work. I asked the guy helping me if they might have something older or used in the $100 range to replace my ancient Onkyo receiver which has been acting up lately.

They had the Denon I bought laying in their workshop for months with some superficial shipping damage. They sold it to me for $100 even. Brand new aside from the dented chassis and typically sells for around $400. It sounds so much better than that antique Onkyo. I'm over the moon happy with it.

I've found that just asking somebody politely if they have a bargain that may not be advertised the people that work in these local shops will hook a person up. I even got a discount on the boombox!

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

CaseFace McGee posted:

Great receivers, I got one when they just came out. The inboard interface is a bit clunky - the smartphone app helps tremendously. I use mine all the time to stream Spotify or Internet radio.

Good to hear somebody else likes this one. If this is clunky I don't know what smooth is. My old Onkyo was a nightmare to use. I usually ended up just watching alot of movies in stereo because it was such a pain in the rear end to slide all the settings around to make everything sound even.

I ran the audyssey mic setup and everything sounds crystal. Intuitive GUI and a drat fine back panel made it a peach to get running. I really, really love this thing.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
I got 3 good years out of my old Red Wing safety shoes but the soles were worn down and the padding was pretty much hosed. I decided to go with something less boot-like this time around. Got me some Merrell low tops.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-2-vent-waterproof-comp-toe-work-shoe-wide/29084M.html

I love my other Merrell shoes and these are super nice so far. Only $65 after the work discount too!

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
I finally wrecked the gearbox in my Stampede. Replaced it with this...

It's the main gears for a Traxxas Stampede RC truck. I've been breaking and replacing parts on it for about 8 years now. That gearbox is the last major component that's left from when it was new.

So smooth and quiet now. Shockingly fast.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Bought a house! :grovertoot:

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

stevewm posted:

Congrats! Now you get to have fun discovering (and hopefully fixing) all the terrible poo poo the previous owner did! :D

Thanks! Doesn't seem like there will be much unexpected PO nonsense. Almost everything that really matters has been replaced or updated already. Had all the proper inspections done and everything is in order. No horse infestations or anything. It's a meager 1/3 acre anyway so it's Shetland ponies for me if anything. Its enough space for my wife and I, our kids and cats. Been trying to talk the wife into getting a Corgi though. That yard is plenty big for a dog with tiny little legs.

The place has all new appliances as well, aside from a fridge. Been looking at one like this..

Anyone have any advice? We'll be getting a chest freezer so that isn't really an issue. I love the idea of a windowed door. Gotta have an Ice/water dispenser too.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Ended up buying this bad motherfucker for the new house...

https://www.lg.com/us/refrigerators/lg-LMXC23796S-french-4-door-refrigerator

Didn't pay anything close to that price though. Memorial day sales loving rule. Tomorrow is a big day. Signing the closing papers on the new house and finally getting the keys. Fridge gets delivered in the afternoon. The we get to spend the whole holiday weekend moving. I loving hate moving. We'll be buying enough poo poo for this house to ruin this thread.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

What's up "just bought a house and now feel compelled to spend a shitload more money to fill it with stuff" partner? Where'd you pick up the fridge from?

Got it at Home Despot. Thankfully that's the only appliance we had to buy. Everything else in the kitchen is brand new. The only other big purchase we have to make is living room couches. After that its all smaller stuff like some shelving for the bathrooms and stuff for the yard. Gonna be weird actually having a yard. Hooray for suburbia!

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

rap music posted:

This super old hand carved cabinet from a Tibetan monastery

That's super awesome! We just inherited an old Amish hand made desk from my wife's mother. No pics yet but it's beautiful.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Got a wall mount for the TV in the basement of the new house. Figured it would be a good time to show my boy the Big Lebowski.

Once I have all the furniture and speaker placement figured out those wires will be hidden.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

Why mount it so high. Isn't it more comfortable at eye level when you're sitting? Otherwise your head tilts back slightly the whole time.

It's a really big room. It feels pretty natural to look at with the couch so far away. The TV used to sit on the stand where the center speaker is in that photo and it was way too low. I like it so far but it's not a big deal to move it down a little. It's a reclining couch so when you're leaning back the TV kind of falls into your view at that height.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Propane is shameful. I picked up a new Weber last weekend and it is good.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Bought a set of subcompact Makita tools to replace my cheap full size Ryobi ones

Nice! I got a set of Makita tools a few months back. Been giving them a workout.

I got the whole set on sale for 50% off with Home Depot coupons. Drill, impact, sawzall, grinder circular, flashlight, charger, two batteries, charger and a really nice bag. Only $300!

Got the electric weed trimmer that uses the same batteries too. Couldn't find that one sale though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

OniPanda posted:

2015 Forester 2.0XT Premium

Decided it was time to get 4 wheels again. Been motorcycle only for the past year and I moved further away from public transit, which was necessary cause I'm not ridin in the rain in LA traffic. Chose the Forester over a WRX cause I wanted the carrying capacity, but I still wanted a turbo. Pretty happy all things considered.

Good choice! I got some years left in my old Legacy. The '20 models finally have a turbo option again though! I just wish they'd bring back the Baja :(