Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I would like an AeroPress but the ol' ball and chain is concerned by the BOILING WATER AND PLASTIC CANCER RISK :byodame:

How is their current "cleanse" going? Maybe they should ask their chiropractor about it.

I bought a backpacking pillow: http://www.rei.com/product/830617/exped-air-pillow

and a tent footprint: http://www.rei.com/product/794297/rei-half-dome-2-plus-footprint

and an REI membership since I'm spending so much drat money there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

CaseFace McGee posted:

I got a subscription to Spotify Premium, and I'm enjoying it very much so far. Between that and Netflix, all my free time now has background noise. My Denon receiver has a Spotify app, so I can easily have it play cool music at any time. My phone can now save albums or playlists for offline listening, so I can listen on my drive to work without using data or losing a streaming connection in the many spots on the drive with no data signal.

For music nerds, I'd recommend giving it a shot. It's much better than Pandora.

Having gone from Pandora to Spotify Premium to Google Play Music All Access I can confidently say that Play Music is the superior choice. Spotify is better than Pandora though, for sure.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

beanieson posted:

Why do you like google better? I've used free spotify but never google :munch:

All my uploaded music alongside 99% of all music I could ever want, plus radio plus the magic "I'm feeling lucky" button which works super well. New album from a band I like comes out? Shows up in recommended and I can add it to my library with a cluck, and then pin it locally to my devices if I want. So intuitive, easy, and functional.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

colas posted:

Does 4k streaming require a lot of bandwidth?

Is that a serious question?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

First house!

Edit - attachment f-ed up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

So, does it work?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Another advantage is you can run rigid frame/fork (less complexity/failure points) and use the tires for suspension. Great for a trekking bike.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

woot fatigue posted:

Right now I'd give it all up for a reliable home network / internet connection.

Well if you find one in GR that isn't Comcast or ATT please let me know!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Stavrogin posted:

First house! I'm returning to join the ranks of Grand Rapids goons.

Heritage Hill area?

Bought this in July - Alger Heights...

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Stavrogin posted:

Close- Cherry Hill. I'm currently staying in AH till the closing. Ever been to the Great White Chicken Fish?

Nope, but my buddy and I joke that since 90% of the people we see walking out are already digging into the food it can't be that bad!

Real Food Cafe is pretty good for breakfast.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

overdesigned posted:

Jumping on the ~wearable tech~ bandwagon.

DCRainmaker said the HR on those is spotty, I'd be interested to hear your experience.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Soft 8's?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

I have a 39" in the bedroom and I can't watch anything with subtitles because it's just so smaaaaaaaaall across the room mounted on the wall.

Bedtime anime watcher spotted

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

So wrong

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Look, bikers are really sensitive about their hobby. God forbid you suggest that them wearing full spandex unitards might be a little unnecessary for a weekend ride around the park.

It's cyclists and skinsuits are for CX.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Why is it that the two things people most feel they have to express their displeasure at are vegans and cyclists? And not like, I dunno, rapists?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

strangemusic posted:

SILENCE! Find your local velodrome and go schralp some boards. You will be a better person for it.

Content: I bought a box of this.

For the record I think Rob Rhinehart is the living embodiment of :goonsay: and his self-congratulating, hyper quantitative view of the world disgusts me, but my eating habits need to get a little better these days and I will try anything with coffee in it.

Rat dropping shop shaming in 3, 2, ...

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Trastion posted:

Can you provide a link to this? I cannot tell the model number or anything from your picture. I am looking for a new blender but do not want to spend $500 on one. I need something decent that can handle ice and frozen fruit mostly (smoothies) but also might use it for other things. I don't need to be able to blend 3 iPhones at once.

We bought the same one recently based on the review here:

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-blender/

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

For what it's worth the Bronners you bought is best for self cleaning and textiles. They make a detergent too that's better for household cleaning.

Sappo569 posted:

What

You use the same soap to wash your toilet that you shower with ?

Look at this "not knowing about Dr. Bronner's" scrub.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

for the cost of a peloton you can buy an actual nice road bike, a Zwift trainer, and an ipad pro. You get a better version of all three aspects that way FYI.

I've tried to tell people this so many times. I guess some folks just want that "yelled at by a stranger while top-40 music plays" experience.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

dreesemonkey posted:

A couple recent purchases:

A mesh wifi router system. It's embarassingly better than my previous wifi router. Should have done this a long time ago.

THIS. HOLY poo poo WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

On sock chat - if you're looking for something synthetic/vegan/not wool that also lasts forever and performs really well check out Balega.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

widefault posted:

It might be a shock, but I bought another guitar

Phased Systems D'Mini Explorer, made in Japan in the 80s. Set neck, transparent cherry finish. 16-3/8" scale(Gibson scale capo'd at the 7th fret). Gotoh humbuckers, volume/volume/tone, 3 way mini-toggle, and it's original case.

In need of strings and a setup, maybe a new nut. It just kind of ridiculous.

And next to a normal size Explorer for those not familiar

What I would love to see is this in place of one of those mini backpacking acoustic guitars - chilling by the campfire and you busy it out shredding on some tiny amp LOL

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Imperador do Brasil posted:

A LEGO of my childhood hero

Saw this in a store yesterday and had to really talk myself out of it lol. Please post when it's done!!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

owl_pellet posted:

I'm looking for long v-neck undershirts. Mine are always getting untucked and I hate it. I've tried tall versions of regular undershirts before but they also make the sleeves longer and I don't like it. Anyone?

Most of the synthetic/merino baselayers I've used have longer tops, maybe start w like Patagonia/Icebreaker/etc? They have some very lightweight options too if you don't run cold

V neck could be an issue there though

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Are you talking about an office water cooler? It's kinda right in the name...

Alternatively, kegorator.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I've got a standalone one I need to set up that has heat/cold, but the one I was looking at for "how do we make this cold?" was this type of desktop one: https://a.co/d/ajRPG9u

It just pumps the water from the bottle and that's it. I was just hoping someone knew of a cost effective way to cool the bottle down. Kegorater or whatever it's called is a good idea but it's like 500+ bucks which is way out of the budget for "cold water from neat spigot", unfortunately.

So you want to cool a 5 gallon jug of water but a refrigerator is too expensive. Sorry dawg not sure what else you thought might be an option?

Desktop ice maker? Homebrew liquid nitrogen piped through a coil wrapped around the water line? Put the jug outside in the winter??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I seem to recall reading that a California reservoir did something similar.

Maybe this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxPdPpi5W4o