Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
My girlfriend and I have fancy Memorial Day plans in New Orleans so I bought a new suit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Dapper as gently caress! What are y'all's fancy plans here? :)

We have dinner reservations at Commander's Palace, we'll probably do some other food-related tourism because that's sort of Our Thing I guess. If you've got further recommendations I'm all ears.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I got a bunch of Express stuff recently (including a similar suit, which I posted) but it was at about 50% off so I don't feel as bad. Also I'm not in the "buying an Omega Speedmaster for a concert" income bracket sooooo.

Oh well, live and learn. I still like the suit--we'll see how much I like it after it starts wearing more.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I may not have Omega Speedmaster money but I guess I do have Citizen money:

I had a titanium Citizen Skyhawk that I really, really liked about a decade ago--then I left it in a hotel room in Japan, I've regretted it ever since, and I want a new nice-ish watch.

And drat, I sure as hell don't have airplane money--jacked upholstery is easily fixable though, nice find. If it happens to be near Illinois, I know a family friend that does aircraft interiors, if you're looking for any recommendations in that area.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
It's over in like a minute per eye, start to finish, and totally painless. I got a Valium but it's definitely a "nice to have" and not a "you NEED one" thing. My results have been great (and I'm in flight school to be a military pilot because of it, so double great).

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

colas posted:

How much was it?

Sorry about the late reply. Mine cost about $3500 USD in total, back in 2010. Custom wavefront PRK, not LASIK (the US military won't accept LASIK for aviators, as a rule).

Numbing drops go in, they put on the aforementioned suction-cup-cornea-isolator, then chemical drops to soften the eye's epithelial layer over the cornea, and then they basically dremel-tool off the softened layer entirely, exposing the cornea. Laser locks on, zaps your cornea (smells interesting!), and then a contact lens "bandage" is applied. Repeat for eye #2. The actual surgical procedure is painless.

Downside of PRK compared to LASIK is a 5-week heal time (my healing was only painful/uncomfortable for about the first 48 hours), upside is generally better night vision and fewer incidents of (already rare) post-surgical complications.

As far as buying things, I'm hemorrhaging money in the Steam Summer Sale!

overdesigned has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Jun 20, 2014

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Neighbor of a friend was moving and I bought his 51" Samsung plasma TV off him for $150. It may not be new but it's in great shape and it's new to me!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

demoneyespaul posted:

Pre-ordered the Homeworld Remastered Collectors Edition:

gently caress yes, I am in on this too. I'd be in on it for a plain re-release too--and if the news starts moving towards "it's poo poo" as release nears, I can always cancel with Amazon.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Because I'm old, dammit.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I think most of Dogfish Head's more limited releases have annual variances--I know their World Wide Stout varies fairly drastically from year to year.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I bought a robot to clean my floors for me, because I'm exceptionally lazy.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Good to hear that it works well--we have tile/wood laminate throughout the entire house, so this guy should be worth it.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

through the owner of my local gaming store who got 3 of each at GenCon today. :toot:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
A curved PC monitor is at least less dumb than a curved TV for your living room.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

It's a collection of military aviation themed cartoons from WWII through the late Vietnam years, by Bob Stevens. I had one of his softcovers growing up as a kid and this is the hardcover collection of the bulk of his military-themed work. Later in life he started doing editorial cartoons as well as more general aviation-themed stuff.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
(wort is what turns into beer when you ferment it, fyi)

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Yeah, they're definitely not "flying the nerd flag." Subtle in nerdiness if a bit loud otherwise.

I have a pair of socks in the same print. I like them.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've always sort of wanted to get into the X-Wing miniatures game, but the price point is too high...especially since to get more fun and re-playability, I'd have to keep buying more pieces.

But I didn't realize they also added some capital ships...for some reason, that entices me more.

(Waiting for the inevitable release of a five foot long Super Star Destroyer miniature...and then after that, a ten-foot long Eclipse SSD...)

As miniatures games go it's pretty reasonable! But you're still looking at a like $150-200 to get the core set and enough ships of one faction to have good flexibility in your squad building. And having 1-2 of everything is gonna run you up into the 1k+ range. There's an Imperial counterpart to the Rebel corvette on the way sometime soon, and they're releasing a third faction in a couple weeks...

:negative:

Edit: also, for your capital ship playing, you're gonna want to get into Armada, releasing soon!

overdesigned has a new favorite as of 19:59 on Feb 17, 2015

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Concatenation posted:

Seconding all the comments, these are really good. Setup is a no-brainer (although I think the lower end models don't have drive caddys).

The only gripe I have is with the built-in bittorrent client, if you for example are downloading a season of a show it won't make the completed episodes available until the whole season is downloaded (although there is a slightly fiddly workaround)

My DS1511+ has been awesome for years, the OS updates have been great, would buy again (but don't have to because it is a solid product). Synology does good work.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Sappo569 posted:

Being tech savvy but never having messed with NAS stuff before I have a question,

Right now I use Plex to host all my shows/music/movies to my Apple TV, meaning my desktop has to be left on whenever I want to watch something

Would this device allow me to run a Plex server on it, so I can just keep the PC turned off?

Short answer is "yes as long as you don't want to transcode" (and don't buy the DS213j, it's ARM processor isn't up to min specs)

If you want to transcode SD you have some options available that probably won't break the bank.
If you want to transcode HD you'll need a higher end model that will probably be Really Expensive.

edit: link
double edit: apparently any of the X14 models are also incompatible

overdesigned has a new favorite as of 06:02 on Mar 12, 2015

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Most consumer NAS is really designed for just doing storage and maybe very light server work--transcoding video is more processor-intensive than what they're usually built for. As long as you'll only be dealing with a single stream (maybe two? I'm Not An Expert on this part), your best bet is probably a small NAS and then a HTPC to act as the media server where the transcoding will happen, so your data goes NAS -> HTPC -> wherever. Intel NUCs seem like something that would fit the bill well but I don't own one so I can't say definitively (I'm thinking about getting one though.)

There's a NAS thread and an HTPC thread in SH/SC if you wanna ask there, I bet they know more.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Jumping on the ~wearable tech~ bandwagon.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

amenenema posted:

DCRainmaker said the HR on those is spotty, I'd be interested to hear your experience.

I have had one run with it so far and it matches what I'm used to seeing, maybe a few % high (but I'm also out of shape).

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Nettle Soup posted:

Wait, the US still doesn't have chip and pin? :psyduck:

And probably won't anytime soon. We're slooooowly moving to chip and signature.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I bought a new man-purse:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Shrapnig posted:

My wallet.

'15 Subaru WRX STI

Nice, my buddy just bought a (non-STI) WRX a week ago a really likes it. Condolences on the wallet and all, but have fun.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I bought a car!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
In the last couple years, it's become pretty much ubiquitous. Before that it was an upper-trim-levels only thing. Before about 5-8 years ago it was a luxury car thing, and before like 2000 it barely existed.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Goddamn I want some of those whiskey tumblers so bad.

Also, nice headphones.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I bought an airline ticket.

And hotel reservations here:

And dinner reservations here:

And this:

Now I just have to wait a month...

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Re: proposal location--the plan is for the Skydeck at the Sears Tower. (Specifically, the ledge where you are in the glass overhang and can see everything). We're both from northern IL originally but never really did all the touristy Chicago stuff together, and this trip is supposed to be for that. Also for me asking her to marry me, but she doesn't know that part yet.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, she said yes, I am getting married.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

I bought a bunch of expensive toy spaceships because I'm an adult goddamnit. To be fair, I got a great deal and paid like 55% retail.

Come, join us in the TGS thread where we talk about...stuff...I guess?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
pretty sure its for weed

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
GoRuck has their GR1 bag on sale for $250 instead of $300 today. The discount stacks with their 25% off to mil/police/firefighter/vets, so $300 backpack becomes $185 backpack.

Which means I finally don't feel bad about buying it.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
They're not worth $300 but they're well built and last forever.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

SaltLick posted:

The bags are well made and have a lifetime warranty of being repaired. You could rip the thing in half and they'll try and fix it or replace. GoRuck is a good company with a weird cult and somewhat overpriced bags.

Yeah they're like the Crossfit of bag companies.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I pre-ordered a Galaxy s7 Edge because my old HTC One is dying. Also I get a free Gear VR headset so I can live in ~teh future~

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

TotalLossBrain posted:

Which gen HTC One are you replacing? I've been using my M8 for exactly two years this month and it is kind of falling apart (case is bent), it's slow as hell, but it still works great.
I've been considering replacing it, but I cannot make up my mind between a small Android replacement (like the Sony Experia Z5, unfortunately not available for Verizon) or a larger one like a Galaxy Note so I can get rid of my tablet, also getting old.
I guess as long as the M8 keeps ticking, I'll use that.

I'm on the M8 as well--mine's generally beat up (not that I care), also slow as hell (about which I do care), and recently has decided that it's going to go from 25% to 0% on the battery without warning fairly often, which was the last straw. I figured it was time. It'll be nice to have a better camera and wireless charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Fly with me posted:

Native American Boba Fett agrees.

I had an apartment with a fireplace like this, and the chimney routed up through an open space next to the stairs to the second floor, so it continually radiated heat on both the ground and upper levels. It fuckin' ruled.

Also as a pilot I have a burning need for that insert before flight keychain.