Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
San Jose is kind of blah and a lot of it isn't terribly safe. I've been twice now for two short trips and thankfully knew someone who could recommend places to go. Both trips were work based so I didn't get to explore much but I did tour a coffee plantation north of the city and that was super rad. I also found a brewery about 30 min west of San Jose that was actually awesome and made stupid good pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Inspector 34 posted:

I have a pair of Metcons too and while they are comfy they are about the loudest sneaker I've ever owned. Every step the entire upper creaks like crazy, should I be oiling these things? I thought at first that it was just because they were new, but here we are over a year later and I'm the guy with the squeaky shoes.

Same, mine are a year old and still sound like I’m walking in rubber galoshes. It’s worst on tile, I don’t notice it as much outside, but it’s real annoying. Mine are the 3’s, I don’t know if they fixed it with the 4’s.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Runescape :q:

which, apparently is not only still around, but has a dozen full time devs plugging away at it :aaaaa:

I played that game a stupid amount right up until they started charging for it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
It might just be a trash can, but if it's out in the open in your kitchen and you have a decent looking kitchen, it'd be worth the money in my opinion. That being said, I opted to convert the kitchen cabinet to the left of my sink to a pull out trash can instead so there isn't one out in the open at all. It was only something like $30 for the slide mechanism and can.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

rap music posted:

A motorbike :swoon:

(2019 bmw r nine t scrambler)

Man those things look good. I love the look of BMW bikes. I will own one someday.

For content, I bought a backpack to do some camping in the Smoky Mountains at the end of May.

Massdrop x Grainte Gear Crown x60

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

CancerStick posted:

A nice pack at a great price. Got it last year and used a few times and taking it to the Grand Canyon this month for a backpacking trip.

Just make sure you don't treat it like it's heavier counterparts. It has a "frame" but it's far from an Osprey Aether. I don't really like taking it above 30lbs total pack weight but that can be subjective.

Yeah, I don't plan on pushing the weight on this pack. It's my first backpacking backpack at all so this is all somewhat new to me, but for $120, I couldn't pass it up. It will probably just get used for single overnights on this trip with stops back at our car the next day so outside of the tent for my wife and I and our sleeping bags/pads, we won't be hauling a whole lot.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Try living in Florida. It's basically impossible to not have to shower every day 10 months of the year unless you straight up don't leave the house. In the summer, a 30 second walk from the car into a building here will leave you sweaty.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Untreated jeans that are impossible to wash, if I remember correctly.

Not impossible but washing them affects the natural contrasting fades created from wearing them. I wash mine but not very often. I wash them more frequently as they get older though. I rotate them in and out and hang them between wears. I don’t do anything like put them in the freezer. I do occasionally hit them with febreeze though.

Also that KTM Duke owns. Some good bikes getting posted in here lately. I really need to get my SV fixed.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Picked up a few things for a backpacking trip in The Great Smoky Mountains at the end of the month.

Thermarest Prolite Apex Sleeping Pad

Sea to Summit Aeros Premium Pillow

Eagle Nest Outfitters Doublenest Hammock

Jetboil Flash Stove

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Rolo posted:

I have that pillow. Total godsend after using a down jacket a few times.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. My wife and I camped in Yellowstone and Grand Teton last year and tried to do it with no sleeping pads or pillows. It was goddamn miserable. I've camped plenty of times without either when my tent is on grass, but all the surfaces we had were super hard dirt and we both slept terribly all three nights. This will be like a five star hotel in comparison.

The Prong Song posted:

Just a word to the wise; don't plan on using this if it gets below, say, 40 degrees-ish. If you CAN get it to light, it'll take years to actually heat up any liquid inside. The mug-shaped pot is better than the pot-shaped-pot for that, but... it's not that powerful of a stove.

I still use it as my primary backpacking stove.

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus from what I hear. Thankfully it shouldn't dip near that low on this trip. I just wanted something dead simple for now that should be fine in anything north of 40 degrees.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Hell yeah! Whereabouts in the smokies are you headed?

I'm still narrowing all of what we want to hike, but I picked out two pretty easy in and out backcountry sites to camp in, one on the southeast side near Smokemont and one a little southwest of Gatlinburg. I'd like to figure out a couple day hikes to do as well. We're also hitting Dollywood while we're up there and possibly doing some rafting as well.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Username/post combo disappoints

VISIT ROCK CITY, Chattanooga, TN

I’ve had this pointed out enough times to where I finally had to go there the second time I went to Chatanooga. The username however is Detroit related. Apparently more people likes rocks than Kiss. Sorry Gene.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Bought a set of subcompact Makita tools to replace my cheap full size Ryobi ones

I have these. They are awesome and the battery life is excellent so far.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Four Roses is great for the money, all of those are. I've never had Woodford Reserve Double Oaked on it's own, but I had a cocktail made with it and it was drat good.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

Bike part. Wait no that's not right. Bus part? No but closer. Flip dot display? Yes that is what it is. Now I just need to buy all the other parts I need to make it a clock.

That's kind of rad. Out of curiosity, how loud are these things? I could see the sound getting kind of annoying if it's happening every 60 seconds.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

I heart bacon posted:

My ex-wife had a laptop with a ridiculously bright LED by the plugin for the charger. Waking up in the middle of the night to go get a glass of water and having that light pointed at me walking into the kitchen was blinding. Like great googly moogly, that fucker is bright! My phone will turn the screen on when it finishes charging. Room is pitch black and I'm sleeping and phone says "WOOOO!!! I HAVE A FULL BATTERY MOTHERFUCKER!!!"

Out of habit I flip my phones face down when I go to sleep because of stuff like that.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Galaxy S7 drat, that's wild. Mine lasted 20 months before the battery had a 90 minute charge. I imagine the battery gets replaced on resale?

I've had an S7 Edge for my work cell phone for like 4 years and the battery is still shockingly decent.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Solid buy. I loved that album art so much growing up. I actually drew it all out in colored pencils back in high school and had the band sign it. Pretty sure it's still at my parents house.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

Tickets to this in Boston. I've stayed clear of concerts for a few years because I'm losing my hearing for a variety of reasons (largely due to dozens of these concerts) but House of Blues Boston is probably the sickest venue in New England and this will be a nice throwback double header. I guess I should also research concert earplugs..

I have a pair from Eargasm and also a pair from Etymotic. Both work great and still maintain enough quality and volume to be enjoyable without causing damage. I do concert photography so I'm often standing directly in front of speakers.

Also, I definitely want to shoot that tour.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
The key to Portillo’s is forgoing the hot dogs for the beef and cheddar croissant.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Man, I remember going to it like 15 years ago and it was like $20.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

OniPanda posted:

One of the regulars at my old job complained that they started charging at all :haw:. I'm fine with payin, but $100 for a one day pass is pretty ridiculous.

I mostly just went for the people watching and general vibe more than anything since that music isn’t really my scene. At $20 it was totally worth it for my level of interest. Although one year George Clinton and the Parliment Funkadelic played and goddamn was that fun.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

sterster posted:

Spent money on my weekend checking this out. This is not my picture nor does this picture give you a good scale. It's 1 x .75 MILE It's a gigantic hole in the ground made by a meteor. We weren't able to go on the tour around the rim as wind gust were 80mph at the rim. Az has so much cool poo poo. I need to get out more.

That place is super cool. There’s a ton of cool parks and natural landscapes all over that state.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ArmZ posted:

is this the one where the official name is just "Meteor Crater"

Yep, that’s definitely Meteor Crater.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Closed on a new house today.

We have a fairly big three month renovation ahead so there are also a ton of other upcoming purchases that may also make an appearance here.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Congrats!! What all is on the project list?

Opening up the main level to make it open concept and putting in a completely new kitchen. Adding a slider to the back deck. Merging two bedrooms and a half bath into a master suite with a walk in closet. New shower, vanity and tile in one bath and a complete gut to the studs in another. Updating the entryway and front door. Painting the entire inside of the home and painting the red siding. Also planning to encase the iron posts on the front.

I’ve hired a contractor for the reconfiguring of all the spaces and a lot of the other plumbing and electrical. The kitchen cabinets and two non-master baths I’m going to tackle myself while the crew works on the rest. I do have a designer coming over to help with layout because a few of the spaces are a little tricky with layout and I want some help there.

At least I can use my social distancing for productive reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh drat! That’s ambitious! Good call getting a contractor and a designer. I wish I had done all that stuff upfront at my place instead of knocking out projects one at a time and trying to live around knocking down plaster walls. Everything is so much easier when you don’t have to move a buncha crap

Yeah, we’re not moving in until all the work with walls is completely done. I ripped out a vanity and smashed up an enameled tile counter in the guest bath and man did that make a dusty mess. Our walls are plaster over gypsum board so I know the dust will continue for a while. I’m glad I have a cartridge dust mask.