Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this thing. I don't know what we're going to do with it, it just kinda sits there and takes up space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a huge box arrived from goon Snacksmaniac!

what's inside? why, magic the gathering fatpack boxes! lots of them!

you might be thinking, "why would you pay money for a whole bunch of empty boxes?" well, one day I want to open a small game store, and having empty boxes like these on upper shelves would make for excellent display props. the old card shop I used to go to did it all the time, putting empty booster boxes on the upper shelves or along windowsills and such to add a bit of variety. plus I can actually use them for storing things in, they're good boxes, unlike the current fatpack boxes which are not designed properly to hold cards without support anymore, I had a few cards get creased by the lid before I started putting cardboard inside to provide a buffer.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a pair of these nail clippers

I bought them as christmas gifts for a bunch of folks this past christmas and they've been unanimously happy with them, they're seriously the best nail clippers I've ever used. totally worth the price.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nothing really, they're just insanely sharp and high quality. Cuts smoothly through nails like they're not even there as opposed to prior clippers I've used that meet resistance and then *CLIP*, often sending the bit of clipped nail flying.

I got a pair for one person and warned them of it being super sharp, so naturally the first thing they did was run their fingertip along the edge and slice open their finger because it's SUPER SHARP

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 19:51 on May 11, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Timotheous Venture posted:

Lol what the christ are those things

"art"

"fashion"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
during a discussion of absurdly inappropriate marketing pushes towards kids, I was reminded of the Aliens toy line from the early 90s that had a bunch of weird play-action aliens like the Snake Alien, Bull Alien, Scorpion Alien, etc. I remember getting a bunch of them and the Evac Fighter for christmas one year. I also remember finding that evac fighter later on in life, and converting it into a Thunderhawk Gunship for warhammer 40k because there was no way a kid like me was going to be able to afford the real one and so I had to make do somehow. And then I sold it and forgot about it until now.

Well, turns out they're dirt loving cheap, even the MISB ones, and so now I once again own a shiny new Evac Fighter.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
vinyls, eh? I have one, just the one, of my own, anyways. mom's still got her original vinyls from when she was a kid. But when I saw this was available and had the scratch, I had to get it, just as a display piece. Heresy, I know. The sleeve is super slick, with a full metallic lenticular design of a magma block, the camera flash managed to pick up the entirety of the image, but it doesn't really all show up at once to the naked eye.

quite a stylish disc design, too.

Volume Beta has one of my single favorite pieces of music on it and one of the main reasons I wanted to pick up the vinyl(in addition to supporting C418 who is a cool fella); Alpha, the epilogue music for Minecraft that to me, represents a single day in Minecraft. from morning, to prep, to setting out on adventure, to combat and danger, to exhaustion and returning home, to going to sleep. It's a beautiful piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCGM7FJ8wQ

I'm glad I picked it up when I did, seems it's sold out everywhere now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
only a million?

a house like that around me would probably be 2-3mil minimum. basic-rear end ranch houses on a postage stamp-sized property around here are regularly selling for 450-600k.

speaking of postage stamp-sized things, I like this World's Smallest company's stuff, they, well, they make stuff that's really tiny and, generally, fully functional still. They made these Magic the Gathering Planeswalker Duel Decks, I bought the first pair they put out and when I saw they put out series 2, I picked it up too. Even nicer quality than the first one.

they are really really tiny, about 1/4 the size of a regular magic card. and still completely legible, even the copyright text underneath the artist name. regular-sized card and a quarter for scale

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Got a new amp and subwoofer for my car...
is this the sort of speaker that shakes building windows when you drive down the road, or is it only inside the car that the effects are felt

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

The trunk and doors are lined with extra sound deadener so unless the windows are down you can't hear much outside. Added bonus is that even when the stereo is off road noise is pretty much non-existent now.

ok you're cool

the guys who drive down the road at 4AM with bowel-loosening bass rumbling everything within a 500 meter radius are not cool

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

skooma512 posted:

There’s a guy who posts up outside my window just BLARING his car stereo, usually after 10. This is an apartment building.

I think he’s picking up someone here or something but I still want to hurl a brick at his car from my window
I once read a story about some vengeful person, possibly a goon, absolutely ruining a car(poured spoiled milk on the windshield and it trickled down through and made the whole thing smell rancid forever) if anyone deserves it it's people who have external car subwoofers and literally cause the ground to shake wherever they go regardless of time

loving hate that poo poo, I'm a light sleeper so it's doubly terrible. it's like the guys I work with who bring suitcase speakers to work with them and absolutely blast dad rock that's audible halfway across the building above all the machinery, like not everyone wants to hear your oldies my dude, get some earbuds. Just utterly selfish shitheads who don't give a drat about other people, only their own satisfaction.

anyways, since I'm turning into an old person, I've decided to get a jump on things and get addicted to hard candy early with filled raspberry hard candies. love this poo poo.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 11:20 on Jun 16, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ok dad

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
got a bulk deal on a boatload of Core 2021 magic the gathering promo packs

cracked those suckers, gave away the MTG:Arena ingame codes to goons, the rest goes in my collection

couple of them were real bangers(ugin, the spirit dragon and liliana, dreadhorde commander are 30+ dollar mythic rares even when non-promo versions)

picked up some dirt cheap transformers and magic cards during prime day. probably should've grabbed more of the transformers to hold onto for later, but eh, they don't do the ludicrous discounts like 75% these days, only like 25%.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I replaced my eneloops last year.

the ones I had I've had for like 10 and only recently started to decline, and were used constantly. eneloops are godsends.

plus they have adapters that allow you to use the AA's and AAA's as C and D batteries, which is nuts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have a samsung fridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueZ30kK000E

I was told by the repairman who came to fix my fridge last week that getting a pre-2015(iirc, might've been pre-2010) model is what you want to go for, Whirlpool is one brand he recommended.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

skooma512 posted:

Mine told me that the retailers were passing off returns as new. Which makes sense since I had 2 dead fridges delivered this year.
brilliant.

I got a used kenmore from 2002 off craigslist for 100 bucks, the motor was full of cat hair and burned out two months after getting it, cost 500 to repair including parts, but now it works flawlessly and has had the internals thoroughly cleaned out since. old fridges can last a ridiculously long time with maybe one or two minor part replacements and routine cleaning/maintenance, we had my grandmother's old icebox from 1960 that lasted until 2012 or so and survived half a dozen minor basement floodings before finally kicking the bucket beyond repair. meanwhile the samsung we have right now has had to be fixed for three different things in 5 years including straight up not having a critical part that keeps the freezer drawer aligned on the railings, and the thing cost 1700 new.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got a magic the gathering Dominaria bundle since I wasn't playing when the set was out and it sounded really neat, all the flavor stuff I liked from when I played as a kid.

and the ten boosters in it were I guess put in there improperly because the layouts of the rares were weirdly sequential:

I opened them and got helm of the host, lich's mastery, precognition field, helm of the host, lich's mastery, precognition field all in a row right after each other. weird. must've been at the beginning or end of a print run as they cycled back to a new sheet, maybe. oh well, neat cards. And the booklet that comes with the bundle is awesome, explaining a lot of the history of the magic universe since the first sets came out, all the background lore with the Brother's War, Weatherlight Saga, and Phyrexians and such, good stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this thread, specifically

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
someone in discord posted this image

and I made a terrible decision.

if you know, you know. if you don't, it's been something I've wanted for over two decades but never actually got. The one I got doesn't have the manual but I'm sure I can find a PDF, or just buy a secondhand one. It's kind of important for this in particular, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Inzombiac posted:

You absolute madlad.

I had this aaaaaages ago and we all decided that the eject case MUST be down before you start a mission. That extra second of panic is crucial.
if it wasn't so cheap I don't think I would have gone for it. Even now you can get complete setups for only slightly more than retail for the drat thing, I paid a bit over 300 shipped and it comes with the box(but not the manual, which I need to find one to get since again, it is VERY IMPORTANT for this game in particular)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
IT'S HEEEEEEEEEEEERE

YYYYEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

now I just need to find a copy of the original manual in good condition.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
buddy, these vertical tanks have manual everything

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I bought the one in the pictures, which was used literally once and then put back in the box and is complete aside from not having the oversized manual, for $310 shipped. that's $110 more than it retailed for, which, for something that is 22 years old, is not bad. I'm sure you can find one without the box for as much if not less. There's obviously idiots on ebay trying to sell MISB ones for three grand but you can absolutely find setups for around what I paid.

also, there are apparently adapters that allow you to plug it into a PC, and mods that let you use it in other games. I've heard that someone has made it so you can play Armored Core 6 with the Steel Battalion controller, which just sounds insane, but in a good way.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
drat, those look niiiiice. are they leatherbound? how much did those run you? I stopped reading the horus heresy around...The Flight of the Eisenstein, or Legion, one of those two, whichever came later.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
also it's no surprise they'd have their absolute best writing talent do the most important trio of books in the entirety of the history of the franchise and company lol

Dan Abnett is a treasure

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The ciaphas Cain series is specifically, and almost literally, the Harry Flashman series but 40k.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I bought these stickers from Dokibird and they're super well made and adorable. I mostly bought them to support her after the bullshit she was going through, but they're also such fantastic little stickers that I'm probably gonna put some on my car.

she mentioned in one of her first streams back that she had to emergency shut down her etsy store because after the nijisanji debacle began she got 200+ orders overnight so I'm glad I got them when I did lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Warbird posted:

I don't know what any of that means but the stickers are nice.
extremely truncated version: very small time youtuber(like, hundreds of subscribers) got a big break joining the biggest vtuber agency, reached around 850,000 subscribers before she had issues with bullying and mismanagement culminating in attempted suicide, company harassed her in the hospital and then fired her when she lawyered up with an insanely unprofessional and likely illegal public termination notice. it became international news for like a solid week because the company could not stop shooting itself in the foot in the worst possible PR ways imaginable including streaming a smear campaign read aloud by their top talents against her during her first stream back. this resulted in the company losing almost 20% of their market value(iirc roughly $200,000,000) and tons of sponsorships, merch agreements, artist contracts and overall goodwill, and all their talents lost tens of thousands of subscribers. eventually the 28-year-old billionaire CEO broadcast an apology video, never a good thing to have to do, which failed to improve things.

meanwhile the news breached the vtuber veil and got into the global conversation for about a week, and resulted in doki getting over 600,000 subscribers in a couple weeks, becoming an incredibly successful indie talent essentially overnight who is fast approaching the subscriber count she had as a member of the megacorp. it went from a real horrific story to a real feel-good one.

Waste of Breath posted:

drat I like that jack frost and I'm jealous I can't get one.
she's a great artist and I think she said once she gets all of her business poo poo situated since she's kinda been thrown into this headfirst and only has a couple volunteers helping her manage things, she might reopen her etsy store. so hopefully those will all be available once again! if you want to keep an eye on it, her etsy storefront is Dokidoggu. I really want some of the other stickers and keychains she sold out of, they were great!

but since she hand-packs all of it herself and writes a little thank-you card for each one, I can understand not wanting to deal with any of that right now.

Trabant posted:

absolutely did not happen.
:shrug: just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. maybe "global conversation" was a bit much, but trending on twitter in multiple countries for multiple days, youtubers with tens of millions of subscribers talking about it and goldman sachs issuing statements about the validity of the stocks is more than just vtuber circles.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Mar 13, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
fine, I'll post two things I bought relatively recently that are absolutely not nerdy.

this Magic the Gathering playmat

and this robot who I have posed to flip off Wendigee in particular. :colbert:

(the Dog Plains Playmat can be bought here)

(Astrobot Vulkan can be bought here)

Vulkan is basically the perfect fiddly desk toy. it can do essentially any pose you want, hold any object you want that it can fit its hands/claws around, and has the durability and stability to do whatever without ever needing a stand, including holding entire other figures at arm's length without issue. it's decently large and for the quality, very reasonably priced. genuinely in the top two best action figures I have ever bought. he's just so loving fun to fiddle with and pose, I took a bunch of pictures when I first got him

and there's a modified version coming out at some point in the next couple months(hopefully) called Hyperion that replaces the drill claws with a second pair of gigantic fists. definitely grabbing that one, "exosuit with a pair of gigantic punchin' fists" is like, my childhood dream iron man-style superhero powerup

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Every finger is fully articulated and are jointed to move around, and they've got balljoints at the base of each finger for full range of movement. It's why they're so fun to fiddle with, the designers really thought about the engineering of the joints to maximize stability and articulation.

The female astrobots unfortunately prioritize "fembot" styling over functionality, which means they have static pose hands that swap out of a socket rather than jointed fingers, and have trouble standing without a base to hold them up because they have high heel feet instead of the big stompers of the other astrobots.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Books cum music CDs.
he asked if it was a weed strain, not what you see while on it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think I gave my dad a sous vide thing as a christmas gift at one point but I dunno if he ever even used it. might ask him if I can have it if he never opened it. got a good starter guide to using one?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
shut up about the gross-rear end looking chicken and post stuff you bought

I saw a box of joytoy spess mehreens at a deep discount and since I only have one of their figures that I wound up liking a lot, decided to grab it

they're pretty rad

definitely gonna put the helmets on some of these ugly bastards tho

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the boy Hyperion is here

a remold of a prior figure, Vulkan

the big ol' robo mitts on his backpack are highly articulated, as expected

joints are terrifyingly tight but get looser after fiddling with it for a bit. nearly perfect figure, only complaint is the up/down wrist articulation, it's limited by the giant gauntlet guards and the rotating cylinder gimmick right before the wrist. I've been thoroughly impressed by the Astrobots line, except for Athenia, but other than that they've all been magnificent. can't wait to see what else they do.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The smaller hand wrists are way tighter than vulkan but once you carefully get it going the first time it should be fine after that.

And yeah, they are specifically made for articulation and stability above all else, which is why I don't like athenia.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I bought an original G1 Optimus Prime! he looks great!

haha not really, he's actually Missing Link Optimus Prime, a high-quality recreation of the original Optimus Prime toy complete with die-cast parts, but with actual articulation and engineering!

and leaked photos show that the next Missing Link figures, since this is apparently going to be a series, are G1 Bumblebee and Cliffjumper!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
but does it work

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I bought one of these 8TB hard drives to tide me over until I get a new PC. my hard drive is both old and also only two terabytes, which for everything I've built up over the years from photos to videos to comics to games, it just doesn't hold enough. so it's nice to increase that storage by a factor of five, and it somehow got to me within 4 hours of ordering it.

I also picked up some more Nendoroids, including a hilarious attack on titan one that includes a teeny tiny version of the titan that eats Eren's Mom, as well as a 10mm tall Eren's Mom for it to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That Toriel is illegal levels of adorable
it's very nicely done despite being basically a brick due to being a completely robed body. she does come with multiple faceplates and arms though.

IGN has a bunch of the Undertale nendoroids on sale right now, Undyne's 30, Sans is 41, and Papyrus is 36, quite a bit less than they usually are if you're after any of them. Toriel and The Human are much harder to get since they're both not currently being sold(but might get reissued like Sans is)

njsykora posted:

I would buy a full size Bubba nendo.
I really hope the Amelia Watson figma comes with an at least slightly articulated Bubba.