Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Daimo posted:

$200! $200? Really?

I mean good for you for getting it cheap but I cant believe there's a market for this. Do people really prefer it to, say, a sandisk sansa and $150 of music?

Crazy!

I bought a Fiio portable headphone amp for my laptop to use as a USB soundcard, and for my portable music keyboard since the outputs had a fair bit of noise. It did a great job at cleaning them both up, and then I tried using it with my Lumia 920 and some Amon Tobin. I don't consider myself an audiophile, but the difference was pretty huge. Noticeable (for me) to the point where I'm considering picking up a dedicated MP3 player with a good DAC. I can't really rationalize the cost since I'm saving up for another big purchase, but I'm always looking at what companies are putting out until someone includes all the features I want in a package I want, since it's the kind of thing I'm only going to buy once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Borommakott posted:

What headphones should I buy that won't break in like a month?

I've become a fan of Shure headphones in the last couple of years - I use a pair of 840s for listening at home, and a pair of e215 earbuds. I like the neutral sound, they're comfortable, come with the standard accessories. My favourite thing about the e215s are that the ear cables are detachable. As the owner of two cockatiels who exist to poop and chew through wires, it's great that I don't have to toss out a pair of hundred-dollar earbuds because the cable broke; I just pick up a 30 dollar replacement on ebay.

I've used a mix of stuff over the years; Sony, then Sennheiser, then Monster (be quiet - I won them in a contest and I used them until they broke of their own volition a year and a half later), but these Shures are the first ones that I'd rebuy.

Edit: I can't suggest them for any kind of exercise - I don't use them when exercising, but apparently sweat can touch the contacts in the detachable cable and temporarily short them out.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

OSU_Matthew posted:

This is awesome and I need to know more... Is that a Korg MS-20? What made you land on that model?

I really wanna buy a synth to dick around with, but I don't feel like I know enough/have enough experience to make an informed purchase.

I usually recommend an old Korg EMX.They're cheap and easy to resell and it's not difficult to break even on it if you don't care for it or want to upgrade. If you're not used to trackers / step sequencers it's also a great starting point to get used to how they work.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Megabound posted:

Rad AF. I'm looking out for a cheapo rangefinder, is this metered at all? I was looking at the Minolta Hi-Matics but their metering is often fucky and it's really not much smaller than my main film DSLR and the CLE is expensive now. Not Leica expensive, but it pretty much only uses Leica lenses and I do not have Leica money.

The Olympus 35RC tends (at least it did when I got mine a few years ago) to be a great price and is probably my favourite rangefinder. It's incredibly small, all mechanical if you want (but does have a light meter) and built like a tank. It's fixed lens but I don't mind at all since it's complementary to whatever else I decide to carry.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I picked up an Empress Effects Zoia - one popped up used and after some research I sent him an offer and he accepted and I'm never looking back. It's exactly what I was looking for as my first / only effects pedal. It's kind of like a modular synth / DSP in a box, and instead of having this chain of synths or effects I can just plop what I want into its grid and go. Practically limitless possibilities since you can tweak just about any parameter.

Only registered members can see post attachments!