Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist posted:

'Stache is getting a little out of control, and I was looking for something else to add on to get free prime shipping.

That wax is insanely stiff, I can't get it worked in without running hot water over the tin and using a little comb to even it out. It does have decent hold though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Keurigs are weirdly expensive and that cup DRM is pretty draconian, but at least that's the worst you can really say about them. People here buy and love overpriced things constantly, and it's not like they're actively making the world worse. I mean, SodaStream has a similar business model (sell the machine, rip people off with proprietary CO2 refills at 10,000% markup), but their company is the direct beneficiary of ongoing war crimes.

There are things to get up in arms about, but products that are a little too wasteful aren't worth the effort.

What now?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
They also look pretty boss, which is like the main reason to get one of those things.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Robawesome posted:

That's the DeWalt DWS780, one mean mother of a mitre saw with a powerful 15 Amp, 3800 RMP motor with a 12" cutting capacity

*Tim Allen grunts*

That is like the king of chop saws and the first thing I will buy when i get a shop to put it in.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
New kicks:

Stylish vest:

Now I just need to pick a paddle.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Where on earth can you fire that where you wouldn't be able to fire a real gun or a pellet gun?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Finally got a phone dashboard mount:

Time to stop looking down and fiddling just to change a music track or check directions.

V V V http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FHX9OK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 V V V

I just got one of these as well. It is very good and really grips like crazy. However, my Lenmar case for an iphone 5 is too thick for it to really get a solid grab on to. I think some industrial velcro will fix that however.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

I wanted to give you a high-5 but I cant find what movement penalty I need to apply.

I just picked this up as well, so excited to play but hoped it would be better written. I would have paid twice as much if it was written by an actual technical writer. I think I am going to use the online tool to teach myself the game

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LTBS posted:

I have some of the Honest Amish Beard Balm and that smells good too.

This stuff is great but oh man do not ever let it get really hot, like say, in your luggage.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

colas posted:

How many times do you old fashioned razor users butcher your faces before getting the hang of it? I heard my grandfather used to nick himself even though that's all he ever used. I kinda wanna try it but I also just got a costco pack of mach 3 refills.

I tried safety razors on an off for years and never found anything as efficient and blood/burnless the the good old Mach3. I accidentally discovered that Nivea Sensitive Skin Aftershave lotion actually works better then any shaving cream/soap I had tried as well. I really wanted to like the idea of old timey shaving but it was just inferior all around.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

If you have an irritation problem, try out Bump Patrol, it's the best aftershave I've ever used, especially if you have trouble with ingrown hair.

Thanks, but the "change out the cartridge more than once a month" and using the Nivea stuff has been working great.

In terms of recent purchases, I bought some more of these dumb things:

I got Chartreuse Sparkle!

Spring cannot get here loving soon enough.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Daimo posted:

I thought of two other things in less than a second before reading the word fishing.

Hah, come on man, these are the erotic lures:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Trabant posted:

Music, courtesy of Bandcamp and the stoner metal thread:

Link to stoner metal thread please?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

AnimalChin posted:

Cross-posting from the Cigars and Pipes Discussion Thread.

Got a little gift card for my birthday and finally made it over to the local B&M to get a Savinelli Oscar Lucite 4-Panel Billiard.

(clicky for bigy)

Nice pipe! I have a pile of them and love smoking but I never really think to do it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, we do it in Myrtle Beach so no Crawfish.

I bought this Moleskine, their professional notebook for project planning. I really like the page layout. It was also 50% off at Target.

That is really cool, I would love a smaller pocket sized one of those.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Same, because the internet keeps talking about it

The Internet needs to cut that poo poo out, as the price keeps going up every year. Billit used to be an amazing bourbon at an amazing price, now it's becoming an amazing bourbon at a pretty standard price.

Question for you go pro people: what do you do with all that footage? I have been toying with the idea of getting one to use as a waterproof camera to take pictures of fish to post on the Internet so that old men will tell me "nice fish! ", but that seems sort of dumb. Do you ever actually watch footage of your awesome bike rides? It seems like gopro clips are going to be the vacation slides of the 21 century.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Bhodi posted:

I have a friend who bought a gopro and stuck it to his WRX when he fucks around in parking lots and does autocross. I once asked him if he ever watches the videos he makes and he's like not really, and I said well why do you expect others to? Literally no one watches or cares about some 35 minute video he uploaded. I always take a bunch of video from my camera when I go on vacation which could be interesting if I heavily edited it down, but I just don't care enough to do it.

Editing and doing interesting things is key, though - some pictures of fish would be cool if it's unusual and a 15 second video. I think people are trending more and more towards vine length, which is not a bad thing - just get to the action and it's all good.

Only you can decide if a $600 piece of gear is worth it for taking 15 second videos.

This is sort of how I feel about it, I don't even really take pictures of anything, unless I'm going to immediately send them to someone whom I think might like it. Every couple of months I go through all the pictures on my phone and delete like 90% of them as I have no memory of why I thought something was important enough to record.

But at the same time, the compulsion that leads me to spend most of my free time and money to drag a fish out of the water, look at it, then put it back in the water, also leads me to strongly desire that other people see these fish that I have caught, and praise me for catching them. It is weird and dumb but it just feels so satisfying. In any case, I am sick of endangering phone and a gopro seems like a good solution.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Bhodi posted:

Nothing wrong with that, I'd watch the hell out of a video montage of you proudly holding up fish, maybe if one event doesn't do it, save them up and edit it to be like fish, bigger fish, even bigger fish, tiny fish, frown at the camera, tiny fish, bigger frown, tiny fish, "Fishing season, 2014"

Especially if you've got a gopro mount in a fixed spot, it makes it really easy to do clean cuts. Honestly the bar isn't very high, you just have to be willing to spend an hour or two editing the video.

Yeah, that is too much effort. I just want the three second high of a "nice fish dude!". I think a normal waterproof camera is a more realistic option.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm curious as to the appeal of a truck simulator. I'm sure you get this a lot, but isn't it boring? Is the game challenging in some way or is just a relaxing kind of experience?

I tried the demo for like 30min. Can't drive trucks well in real life, can't drive trucks in videogames.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Manuals are annoying and make the worst parts of driving, crowded parking lots full of pedestrians and stop and go traffic, even more painful. I guess if you have a performance vehicle and awesome roads to drive on they would be fun.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

kannonfodder posted:

You have to use both your feet when driving? Ugh, you might as well walk!

Sure thing guy. I own both and absolutely find my automatic a ton less annoying. What exactly is the benefit of a manual in a normal car? Maybe a little better gas milage I guess.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yes, I sure do want to be more connected to my lovely little car, oh what pleasure it is to race through DC traffic block by block.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

SaltLick posted:

I live in a city and manuals are not that bad unless you just want to zone out and listen to your lovely NPR podcast

Yep, more or less. Although I prefer Old radio shows or Prairie Home Companion for ultimate soothingness.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
poo poo, I live in a house that is 90% heated with a wood stove. I spend all fall and winter buying, splitting, chopping wood. I wake to a cold house every morning if I sleep in too late. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

And yet, I recognize that most people want to just turn a knob and not go through all this nonsense to stay warm. I love an impractical, outdated, fussy thing, and yet can admit that it is all of these things.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
What the hell is Chip and Pin?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
About $100 worth of this:

In Gray, Black, and White. I am slowly purging my wardrobe of cotton. I want to be dry and warm forever.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

What material is it? A blend I assume. I too hate cotton because it's the worst possible clothing material, and these are sweet and cheap. The fits all look pretty slack and loose though. How do they compare to Icebreaker?

EDIT: Found it <03gray/ 68blue> 85% polyester, 15% spandex <00white/ 09black/ 32beige> 86% polyester, 14% spandex

They are pretty loose, but tighter then like a Fruit of the Loop undershirt. They are super thin so I blast a bit too much nip to wear them alone anyway. They feel amazing and move super well under a polo or button up. Also they are cheap, dirt cheap right now.

I have never had an Icebreaker tshirt as there is no way I could justify one at $65. Which is odd as I have base-layer tops that cost around that but some the sleeves make it worth it :shrug:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

zVxTeflon posted:

Why cant you just take off the ring during those activities and wear nothing?

I suspect that silicone will still let your finger get jammed and really hosed up if something grabbed it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Not really. If you think silicone will jam your finger during a deadlift or a pull-up, then you're just being paranoid.

You also said "doing carpentry at home". I have some sweet looking scars on my hand from a tool grabbing me so my paranoia is a bit justified.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Changing oil I will gladly pay for as if you value your time at all, you don't really save any money. Stuff like replacing brake pads is totally worth doing yourself as you can really save a ton.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

I just put on the clothes I ordered and holy poo poo, their stuff is amazing. So comfortable, well fitting, and cool (temp).

I'm forever in your debt.

Thank the guys in the YLLS thread, they turned me from a slob into a snob!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Trabant posted:

The peppermint kind leaves your undercarriage feeling tingly. Doesn't feel bad, just a bit :stonklol:

I don't really feel clean anymore without the tingle.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Aw poo poo, alright :ohdear: Thanks for the tip!

I saw Swans like a week ago and stood right by the stage and my ears hurt a bit during that. I probably shouldn't purposely try to go deaf as much as possible.

How are the Swans these days? I was super into them in the late 90's but my attention faded.

Pick posted:

My new megawolf on the right. An old, normal-size adult on the left.

Pick you are a weirdo and you should hook up with the goon who likes skulls and get some sort of "Creepy dead stuff chicks" reality TV show.

Also if you don't, at some point, stand in the snow with that thing draped around your shoulders, the you are really wasting potential.

bongwizzard has a new favorite as of 13:35 on Apr 13, 2015

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

why not just feature my own collection of skulls

You need a wacky buddy to have a good show imho. You guys could get into a fight when the maid accidentally mixes up your skulls. Maybe you both have a date on the same night night and want to wear the same elk cape? A love triangle involving a shy taxidermist who is always letting his flesh-eating beetles escape?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

strap on revenge posted:

this is a legit question, why do people buy knives like this? What function does it provide that a box cutter does not? or a pocket knife. Surely you aren't doing much more with it than things around the house

That is a pocket knife though? Admittedly, it is on the large size but Spyderco makes great knives that will last a lifetime. I have tried a ton of box cutter type knives but they all either suck to carry, are poorly made, or wildly unsafe to stick in your pocket. Modern locking blade knives are so much better and safer then old style friction lock knives that there is little reason to carry an older style one unless you just like it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

PCOS Bill posted:

Never get old. And go to the dentist the second you have a problem.

I will add "always pay your taxes" to complete today's Advice from Old Guys.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Pretend that I just posted a picture of a very expensive top water frog lure.

I can't post a picture of it because I have already lost it to a loving tree like 5 hours after I bought it.

gently caress you tree.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I 100% believe that there is bbq good enough to wait 5 hours for. Brisket is very hard to master and it is just sublime when done well.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Android Bicyclist posted:

New carbon scraper for my Leatherman Mut because I was an idiot & tried to use it to pry loose a shotgun blank from a mortar simulation round.

Will they just sell you parts? I have a Wave with a busted screwdriver and I wanna say when I looked into it they wanted me to mail it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Android Bicyclist posted:

There's a Leatherman store here in Portland, where I went to get this part. I can see if they sell the Wave's screwdriver separately next time I'm up in that area.

That would be amazing. I want to toss it in my daypack but without a straight slot driver it isn't really super useful.