Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

SgtScruffy posted:

Do people ACTUALLY hate Munchkin, or is that some sort of meme from the board games thread because it's so MAINSTREAM? I've played it a few times and I like it :(
Usually I wouldn't jump in after someone's just said they bought it and were looking forward to it, but since you asked, yes, lots of people legitimately hate Munchkin. I played it back in university and enjoyed it then, but since I've played other games out there and learnt what makes good board game design I would honestly rather sit out than play it again. The first 6-7 levels are fun, then as soon as anyone's at 8 or above it becomes a boring repetitive clusterfuck of 'has anyone drawn cards that can stop me winning? Yep, they have, ok, your turn' until finally someone doesn't have the cards to stop someone. That part generally lasts an extra entire hour.

Love letter's design by comparison is fantastic - simple to understand, easy to play, and penalties for getting eliminated in it due to other people's plays are minor due to rounds only lasting 2 minutes. I've used it to introduce huge numbers of people into boardgaming who you really wouldn't think would enjoy it, and Space Alert is another fantastic choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Alternatively for best prices/convenience, http://www.milsims.com.au/ if you're in Victoria and can pick things up locally, or http://www.ozgameshop.com/ if you want to order things online. Don't mix up which way you have those though, ordering from milsims online takes MONTHS.