Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Upgrading as the previous cheapie broke:

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-33-725-25-Feet-FatMax-Measure/dp/B00002PV66

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Received this yesterday. It's a really nice tape measure that you should all buy. Went 10' 10" before it went limp. Two inches shy of advertised but I will let it slide.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

Already can do that with my G Watch R but yeah it's handy.

I think you need lollipop though? That's still several months away/never for lots of Android users.

You need 4.3 I believe. I had to check and it's definitely not lollipop only.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just picked this up for our office white elephant exchange:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e710/?srp=1

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

martinlutherbling posted:

Picked up one of these

Sweet purchase, what did you name him/her?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Daimo posted:

New GFX card:

Best I could get between affordability/availability/4GB (I hope).

I have this and it's cool and good.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Cage posted:

Thank you for the big anus picture at the end of your post.

Never have I had to shop for one of those, but found it quite amusing to have an 'Orifice' option. The simple 'butt' made me laugh out loud.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

After 20 years of wanting to play and 4 years of really holding back on the purchase (I have small children and time is now just freeing up) I finally picked up a starter guitar. Didn't want to invest a lot into the new hobby until I got myself over the beginners hump but think I found one of the better values out there. Now to make my fingers bleed and cramp up for a few months.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-FG700S-Acoustic-Guitar/dp/B000FIZISQ

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

I've had this guitar for two years and I love it to death. Get it set-up at a guitar shop just to make sure the action is low enough and you'll have fun learning on this. I still suck, but I've had a lot of fun in the past two years!

Really glad to hear about the endorsement. Not having any knowledge I was a bit uncertain that I didn't go the wrong route. Can you be more specific on what I should ask for when I go to the guitar shop to get set up? I bought it at Guitar Center but doubt I will go back there for anything regarding service and such.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

Just go in a reputable guitar shop, say that you're new to this and want the guitar setup. It shouldn't cost a whole lot and they can probably lower the action a little bit (make it so the strings are closer to the neck, which makes it easier to play/less painful on your fingers) and they might make a few adjustments to make sure the guitar sounds as good as it can. Even to my newbie ears and finger, there was a noticeable difference when I got mine set up.

Right on, thanks for the tip. I live just north of Ann Arbor so there's plenty of independent shops to choose from.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Been using YNAB for just over three years now and it's amazing. We don't hold ourselves to the budgeted amounts as well as we should but it's fantastic for categorizing stuff to cushion the unexpected expenses, which was a big issue for me pre-YNAB. I always feel like I'm running hot on my budget due to categorizing so many things but when I run the annual income/expense report it's quite in the black, so all is well!

Buy this.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

YNAB is part philosophy and part software. Really hard to describe it. Check out the free eBook they have and try the 34 day trial. You'll feel like you have much more control of your finances in that month.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bhodi posted:

It's actually easy to describe. It makes you pay attention to exactly what you spend by requiring you to input things manually, constantly review your finances by sending you emails and warnings, and generally keep money (and your potential spending of it) at the forefront of your mind. This works for a lot of people because it's like a constant reminder offsetting impulse purchases.

Mint, on the other hand, is a much more passive tool, a good "one stop shop" grouping of your overall financials without being particularly good at investment views, retirement planning or month-to-month budgeting. It's more for people who like seeing overall net worth graphs and like a convenient place to look at charges across multiple accounts.

Well, you're correct, I just wasn't able to articulate what made it so great!

I didn't know YNAB can do email alerts and don't see them as an option now that I'm looking for them. Where is this done?

Also, YNAB is one of those things that even if you can't get it on sale, you'll be better off just paying for it rather than waiting. You'll save more money than the discount by not waiting. Plus you can share the key with someone if you are really strapped for cash.... Your data is completely separate of your key.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

Brand new Surly Straggler. Managed to get a good discount on the bike, so I had them put on fenders and racks to boot. Biking/commuting in Minneapolis winters just got a lot easier.

I'd ride the gently caress out of this in any weather. Nice pick up!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Decius posted:

Yes, easiest way is once you switch your habits of spending the money you think you might get this month to spending the money you set aside for this month beforehand - meaning you decouple your monthly spending from your direct income, by spending the money from last months income or a buffer amount of money each month. Takes a bit getting used to, especially if you were living paycheck to paycheck.

You can of course still use it if you want to continue budgeting the current income for this period inside this period, you just need to accept that you have to update/revise your budget far more often.

The way you use YNAB is usually budgeting the stuff you need to pay every month (week, bi-weekly etc). Then you add the stuff you want to buy this month. Then you try to match it up with the income you get this month. Which means of course, if you income fluctuates that you have to adjust this portion from time to time. Everything you don't spend will be available for your next budget - and ideally you accumulate such a big buffer that you don't really have to care how big your income this month is, since you budget/spend your buffer and use the income to replenish this buffer/put the rest into a savings account/stocks/whatever.

Those big income months would be a fantastic time to fund the various categories of discretionary spending (restaurants, vacations, home improvements, etc) so that you level out your income throughout the year. YNAB is fantastic at doing this and it'll feel like you have a consistent income because of it. There are so many times that I feel poor as I end a month but then look at the balances of my discretionary categories and see so many dollars allocated to things that feel like they're already paid for. I have nearly a thousand in my car maintenance and repair budget (I have an older car, so pad that quite a bit) and if I need a new clutch or something it is a 0 stress event, even the car rental can come out of that so I don't have to worry about that if it's going to take some time. Now apply this to every aspect of your life and you will be at peace.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Echeveria posted:

For those of you using YNAB and poo poo - when it allots your money to, say, emergency vet or car repairs, do you have several accounts set up that you transfer the money to, or do you physical take it out and put it in a jar labelled "emergency vet". I think it would be faster to have multiple accounts set up, but that's not really practical. WHY CAN'T YOU HAVE FOLDERS AND SUB FOLDERS IN YOUR SAVINGS

The budget is account agnostic. Just leave the money in there and let it roll. No need to keep a jar unless you need it on hand, then just make an emergency jar account.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Echeveria posted:

Noooo I don't like that. That's how I go "oh I have $1200 in my account, I can buy xyz" forgetting I have to pay home insurance and vet bills. I need account sub folders, damnit.

Without derailing this thread too much, may want to hit the personal finance thread in BFC, but you should be adopting a mindset where you don't look at the balance in the checking account but the categories. If you don't have any money in your Restaurants category, you don't eat out. You assign every dollar of income to a job, and stick to it. That's the YNAB philosophy. Check out the free ebook on their website that lays it out, it's a quick read and sounds like it's perfect for you.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

No, they're for his ecig vape thingy.

Sam's Club has the best drat hotdogs. $3 for two giant Nathan's on a delicious buttery bun and a 32oz drink, can't beat it.

Costco has a footlong and a soda for $1.50.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Detroit needs representation

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Crain posted:

That Sam's Club dog is extra bad based on the fact that you have to pay a membership fee to even buy it. Just find a food cart dude. Or a trash can.

FYI, at Costco you don't need a membership to eat at their five star restaurant.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Pukestain Pal posted:

super jealous

This, but about Galactic.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

And what I meant is that part of the mirror is smuged so I cannot tell if my subject is in focus or not, but it is not as bad as my first post made it seem.

CONTENT:

I bought two of these kinda recently:

Enjoy this excellent piece of high theater. I especially enjoyed the pivotal role that General Butt-loving Naked had as the Antagonist in developing Elder Arnold Cunningham throughout the second act.

Excellent show.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Daimo posted:

This:

This case:

And basically this:

gently caress you money.

Compact or regular? Love my compact, just wish they made the Qi case for it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Daimo posted:

Compact, as I don't see the need for anything much bigger than 4.5 inches. Hell I'd rather have 3.5" phones like they used to make if I could (RIP Orange San Francisco).

Really enjoy the water proof feature. Freaked the hell out of people at the water park when I was taking underwater pictures of my kids.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The guys and gals in the awful kickstarter thread have already run this card game through the ringer.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

Thanks thread for making me spend $200 on floormats

This is really hard to justify when I paid $5k for my 2002 Accord 3 years ago. 4% of paid value on floor mats, probably 5-6% with it's value now. They do look awesome though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jesus Christ I think I'm going to buy $200 floormats

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It was just a counterclockwise swirl

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

Can we go back to talking about floormats please?

I was pleased to see that for my vehicle I could get a set of front mats for $110 versus the $200 for the whole car. No one really gets in my back seat...except for my kids with their snowy boots and muddy soccer cleats.

Damnit, $180 it is.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Furcifer posted:

Friend of mine put his brand new Sony Z3 (with gorilla glass on both sides) on a granite countertop that was ever so slightly not level; phone fell off the counter after a few minutes. No damage, but it's now encased in a case. I guess the situation is a culmination of poor phone design and poor purchasing decision - still a nice phone phone regardless

The Z3 series is made with space-age hovercraft technology. That phone was acting as intended.

Crain posted:

They're not nearly as dangerous as you might think. I used my razor for the first time today and only gave myself a tiny nick on my Adam's Apple (but that usually happened with a cart razor as well).

There's 3 things you need to keep in mind when using a DE vs. a Cartridge razor:

1) Use a rich, wet, hot lather. So get a shaving brush and real shaving soap.
2) Do not use any pressure. Just let the weight of the razor rest on your face and pull the razor so that the cutting edge is always perpendicular to the direction of movement. Don't got at an angle and don't pull it laterally. That will cut you.
3) This is probably the most important: Use short strokes. You can get away with long stokes with cart razors, but you absolutely cannot with DE razors. At least not without a lot of practice. And you still shouldn't do it because the soap and hair clogs up pretty fast and will add to irritation. Just use short and deliberate strokes.

Also keep in mind the direction that the grain of your beard grows in. This is less important if you're doing the previous items unless there's like one spot on your face that grows up your face which would make you shave against the grain randomly.

The phrase that always helped me get in the right mindset is that each pass you make with the razor is about 'beard reduction' and not 'beard elimination'. Make multiple, patient, smooth passes and you will be just fine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Picked up this inexpensive starter telescope to introduce the cosmos to my kids. I've never done any astronomy whatsoever so it'll be a fun journey for me as well. Looked like a stupid deal to pass up for what the reviews say is the best one to get started on. Can't wait for the weather to turn to start!

Also, grabbed a 'free' Lumia 635 from Cricket to play around with Windows Phone while my Sony Z3C goes in for a warranty repair (microSD card keeps popping out) to see what the platform is like. Should be a solid backup phone in any event.

Also booked next winters family vacation. SPG re-categorized many of their properties and it'd cost me an additional 8,000 points if I didn't do it now.

The Westin Lagunamar, Cancun

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FishBulb posted:

Can you give me a link to this, my daughter is really into space right now and has been bugging me about a telescope.

Sure, my mistake for not including it up front. It was $10 cheaper yesterday:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M8YYTQ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Etrips posted:

Does SA have a grass mowing thread? Genuinely curious to learn more.

FWIW, my grass never looked better than when I used the Fiskars reel mower. Unfortunately, my yard was just too large and my grass grew too quickly (drat healthy beautiful grass!) to keep up with it and it became too unmanageable to cut 2-3 times a week. Was a reel (pun intended) pleasure to use!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Smoking deal on 105 5800 groupset at Merlin Cycles, couldn't pass it up

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano...m_campaign=Awin

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, we do it in Myrtle Beach so no Crawfish.

I bought this Moleskine, their professional notebook for project planning. I really like the page layout. It was also 50% off at Target.

I use this, it's very good. Just the right layout for most meetings.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

bunnielab posted:

Manuals are annoying and make the worst parts of driving, crowded parking lots full of pedestrians and stop and go traffic, even more painful. I guess if you have a performance vehicle and awesome roads to drive on they would be fun.

Incorrect. Manual transmissions allow for even the shittiest of cars to be fun to drive. I love my 02 Accord 4 cylinder.

I wager that you MAY be a better driver in the end as well. Being more connected to the car, focused on the nuances rather than putting it into easy mode and mashing the accelerator until you see red lights flashing in front of you.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

JEEVES420 posted:

It took me far too long to realize that is a break caliper for your car. At first I thought it was a bike pedal.

Same here, I had to google it. Was thinking someone came out with a really kickass new clip pattern. Incidentally, I'd buy the poo poo out of some bright yellow pedals that looked like this.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Scored one of these for $6 on an Amazon sale where they normally go for $25-60 on eBay for my kids birthday coming up. Amazon originally said it'd arrive in 2-3 months but it came in less than 2 weeks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It's a kids game. You collect characters and traps in which you trap the bosses when you kill them. Have to have the right kind of trap to get them. This one gets the last boss and you can never find them anywhere.

It's a good way for the companies to get $50 for the game and another $200 in collectibles, like Disney Infinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

LoG posted:

I've been thinking of getting my son that Skylanders thing but he's only 4 so he might be too young.

He may be, but don't make the mistake that I did and get him the Disney Infinity. That game stinks, especially for a kid who is just getting into gaming. There's no structure and they get frustrated or bored easily. Skylanders on easy mode is just a button mash with minimal navigation needed but he will need to be able to do some 3D jumping around and will likely need your help at 4.

Best bet is just to stick to Mario Kart. Let him get in last for a year and he'll come around. I was so proud when my son was 5 and started coming in top 5 out of nowhere.