Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

colas posted:

Before working out this AM I bought these, gym shorts, and a cheap t-shirt because I procrastinate on laundry too much.
I have a couple pairs of the shorter version of these and I like them. They're comfortable to just wear as normal underwear bit also to work out or even run in under gym shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

What the hell is the second thing?
A bicycle stem (the part that connects the fork to the handlebars). It's a ridiculously high angle, though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Y'all need to stop messing around and just spend $40 on a grinder and a french press off Amazon.
Not only does it take ~30 seconds of labor and ~5 minutes of waiting, but buying beans is a lot cheaper and more environmentally friendly than Koffee Kanisters or whatever the Keurig ammo is called.
I would budget at least another $20-40 for that grinder unless you really love sludge.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Random Google search for the name of a $7000 instrument lead me to these, which were way more reasonable: http://www.frettedfiddle.com

Thirty bucks for a set of two, one normal looking, one flat black for my electric. Might get me to play the drat things a but more.

E: oh god they make them for the cello i was not meant to know this
"As seen on YouTube"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kidney Stone posted:

A bit of second hand stuff:

A couple of lenses...

5 batteries, memory cards, an Olympus HLD-4 battery grip and a Lowepro Dryzone Rover backpack.

All this for the low price of $150
It's nice of them to throw in a free four thirds camera and lenses with that backpack.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Humerus posted:

Or maybe he/she has a real bike already and this is just for when it's raining or whatever.
If this were the case, he/she would have done well to buy a trainer instead.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

Ekol Viper 9mm, with 6" barrel. It shoots blank rounds only (basically it's a prop gun) so it's practically impossible to hurt anyone with it.
I don't know anything about guns but FYI I think I've heard that blanks can be deadly at close range.

mystes
May 31, 2006

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Layout, content, and design far outweigh the importance of fancy paper though. I've never used anything aside from regular paper.

You'll have better luck with right resume, regular paper than left resume fancy paper.

The thing on the right looks more like some sort of flyer than a resume.

mystes
May 31, 2006

amenenema posted:

Another advantage is you can run rigid frame/fork (less complexity/failure points) and use the tires for suspension. Great for a trekking bike.
I think the biggest problem with using a fatbike for touring is that it would be a serious loving pain in the rear end if you damaged/wore out a tire (like you might not even be able to find a replacement in bike shops in a lot of places). I believe last year I read a story about this happening to someone.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jefinabox posted:

Am I the only one a little disturbed that people caffeine pills every day for like, 20 years? Or at all? Sure, it's not heroin or anything but it's still a drug.
Are you disturbed that people drink coffee every day or at all?

mystes
May 31, 2006

colas posted:

What format are the video/audio files for those Great Courses?
If you get them on audible, they're in audible's proprietary audio format.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SpartanIV posted:

edit: Also pre-oredered this

Does this actually act as different credit cards or is it just a normal credit card with a service that debits the account of your choice every time it's charged? If the latter, I don't see the whole point of having it be a fancy device with a screen and battery, and if the former it's going to end up turning into latter once the switchover to EMV happens in less than a year (it won't be able to copy other cards' chips).

mystes
May 31, 2006

beato posted:

Car part, gun part, bike part, drone part, microbrewery part, sous-vide part, Red Wing boot part, Herman Miller furniture part?
You forget "vaping paraphernalia," but otherwise very complete.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SgtScruffy posted:

That shirt is pretty rad - where'd you get it? Reverse GIS only shows CCCP soccer jerseys (which, to be fair, are rad as well)
The tag appears to say "Augusta".

mystes
May 31, 2006

Alternatively, you could get like a dozen uni-ball Power Tank RT pens (which are like Fisher space pens but better) for approximately the same price.

mystes
May 31, 2006

davebo posted:

Couldn't tell you, because we got so much god drat snow in the suburbs that I can't even ride it. Suboptimal got the same bike and got to ride it around D.C. since the streets only had a bit of snow on them, and I can tell you he had an absolute blast. All I was able to do was walk to the beer store and get my fiance some more Not Your Father's Root Beer and me some Sam Adams Nitro White Ale which I haven't tried yet. It's crappy that when you're snowed in you sit around drinking then wake up with a hangover and have to shovel snow, but I'm fixin' to do the exact same thing tomorrow.
Yeah, yeah everyone's going crazy being stuck inside for days. Have another beer and go watch some more Netflix.

Edit: Lol, I thought this was the DC thread. Luckily I bought some of this before the snow:

mystes has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Jan 25, 2016

mystes
May 31, 2006

[Insert "floats your boat" / flying boat / floatplane joke here]

mystes
May 31, 2006

SaltLick posted:

I thought the new hotness was prk surgery
I think I'll stick to the South for my medical tourism, thank you very much.

mystes
May 31, 2006

PCOS Bill posted:

I don't know whether you're being sarcastic or agreeing with me but I stand by what I said. It may not come today, it may not come tomorrow, but you can attain your goals if you work toward them, sacrifice the now for the later, and don't give up. Do you need that extra $3 bag of candy or would you rather be at $39,997 left toward your $40,000 goal? Cut out the little things you don't need, and over time you'll cut out your desire for them.

Or you can bitch and moan on the internet that you don't have <Big Goal Item> and it's not fair someone else has one, your call!
Just stop buying daily coffee for 36 years and you too could afford an airplane!

mystes
May 31, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

Ordered. Now lets see if I don't regret it.
At the very least, you will be be the coolest kid in your Neuromancer reenactment club.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Digital_Jesus posted:

Router/Firewall: https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/
Wireless: https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/
Modem: Literally whatever docsis 3 modem your ISP supports. The motorolas aren't bad. Or just take the one your ISP gave you and put it in bridge mode.
I have an Edgerouter X and I'm happy with it but I'm not sure I would recommend it to a random person in PYF without knowing if they know anything about computers.

mystes
May 31, 2006

dpack_1 posted:

Bought an Amazon Fire Stick on Prime Day.

Only to find out that the wifi reception in my bedroom or horse poo poo, and it will frequently drop shows to SD quality or just pause playback for 30 seconds every few mins to buffer.

So i've just bought a netgear wifi booster of some description as i'm only about 20-30ft from my router, but being an apartment building the walls are all lined with nuclear war grade lead sheets or some poo poo. Just trying to bounce the signal round a corner so hoping this will do the job.

Picture not mine obviously
If your router is close enough, you might want to force the fire stick to use 5ghz (e.g. assign the 5ghz interface on your routera different essid and tell the fire stick to use it). With 802.11N the 2.4ghz signal will often appear stronger (causing the client to select it) but actually have lower throughput due to interference.

mystes
May 31, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

If you're in an apartment building you're probably having issues with interference from a million other routers.
This is why you need 5ghz. 5ghz has less range and doesnt pass through walls as well, so it's much better in places where there are lots of networks in close proximity.

mystes
May 31, 2006

More like 6 months behind the adult coloring book fad.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

I bought 200 cases of sudafed
Have fun in jail if it's real sudafed and not sudafed PE.

mystes
May 31, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

I had assumed that electric pressure cookers were really common and everyone had one? I have had one for years but really only use it for hard-boiled eggs and making stock.
I think pressure cookers sort of have an unjustified bad reputation, and most people aren't even aware that electric ones exist, even though they're incredibly convenient and awesome.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

My roommate broke my previous 34oz Bodum Chambrod French press, so I got a 51oz one because I wanted a way to make a lot of coffee, especially when I entertain guests.
You can also buy third party replacement borosilicate glass carafes for cheap off of Amazon.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Aeropresses are OK but they are by no means the one true way to make coffee. Most people who are concerned with the quality of the output start doing increasingly complicated things (using a metal filter, brewing upside down for longer periods) that eliminate a lot of the benefits such as ease of cleanup anyway.

If you have a real espresso machine there is definitely no reason to bother.

If you use it the normal way with paper filters it is super easy to clean up so it's good for brewing your own coffee at work, though.

mystes has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Mar 11, 2017

mystes
May 31, 2006

rockcity posted:

They're probably using it for exactly what I'm talking about and it's stupid simple. Basically you can make any flavor of vodka in like 20 seconds by just adding vokda (or any alcohol) and whatever you want into the cream whipper, charging it with the N2O cartridge, shaking it up and then releasing out the N2O and pouring out the liquid. The science is fairly simple, it's that when you infuse the N2O it gets into whatever you put in there like fruit, herbs, bacon, whatever the gently caress and then when you release it, it gets sucked back out, taking the flavor of that item with it and rapidly infusing it into the alcohol. What would take a couple days to weeks of infusing by just putting it in the bottle now takes less than a minute and you can make whatever flavor you want on the fly.
I need this. I wonder if I can make my own hot pepper liqueur.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

You can thank Sony with their draconian DRM and requiring to use proprietary ATRAC file format for that. It would have crushed all mp3 players years before the iPod ever came out if Sony was smart about it. Especially since mini discs were relatively cheap at the time.
Didn't they only make it possible to load music faster than realtime at all after mp3 players started catching on (maybe before the ipod though)?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I've been very happy with my Kia Soul. Anything post 2012 will get you the 2.0 5 speed version. Great little car with a ton of space.

Are you a hamster?

mystes
May 31, 2006

davebo posted:

Priuses were fine being oddly shaped but functional and efficient cars before looking like whatever the hell this is:

Probably the existing design had become too close to what cheaper hatchbacks look like now, so to look fancier they had to imitate Tesla. In a few years Tesla will have to redesign their cars to stand out more in response.

I'm embarrassed at how transparent this is that I can understand it as someone who doesn't particular care or know anything about cars

mystes has a new favorite as of 22:24 on Apr 26, 2017

mystes
May 31, 2006

A sata m.2 ssd with a pretty bad price per mb. Unfortunately my laptop doesn't support nvme. It does have two slots, though, which is something I guess.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Just get cheap compression shorts from target or walmart or something (size up if they're actually tight). They're usually around like $7 and they're better than all the stupid fancy underwear. They dry quickly, don't chafe at all and you can exercise (running, etc.) in them, too. I think I originally got theme for exercise, but they were so much better than my other underwear in every way that I just started wearing them all the time. (They're also much better than the absolutely terrible built-in liners that running shorts have.)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

just :lol: forever if you run with underwear under your shorts. That's a smell that will never leave. Enjoy your chafed gooch too.
I actually had all of those problems with fancy running shorts.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Monkey Shoulder

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Maybe if you still live on the third world where people swipe credit cards. The only things that use my stripe are parking machines (and, weirdly, hotel restaurants?) and I don't think Samsung Pay is going to do the insert-and-withdraw swipe very well. Otherwise it's chip-and-pin or tap.
It doesn't support NFC-based payments as well?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have an older Fagor electric pressure cooker and it's pretty great. Compared to stovetop models, they're dead simple to use (just dump stuff in and push a button).

It's starting to feel like fall here, so maybe I'll make a stew in mine today.

mystes
May 31, 2006

There's a 50% off sale on yubicos if you you buy 2, so I bought 2 yubico neos.

I think I'm going to try to switch from lastpass to pass, and keep the key on the cards.

It's too bad that pass doesn't support using openssl for encryption, though, because that would make it possible to use a lot of cheap, generic smartcards. Actually someone should make a u2f-based password manager (that is actually using a u2f device for encryption rather than just authentication), because that would be secure and dirt cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's probably overkill but LastPass was already hacked once and I can't quite bring myself to just keep all my passwords lying around on my computer in an unencrypted text file.