Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Picked up a used 2018 Civic Si from Carvana on Saturday. Good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I got it from the 'vending machine tower'. It was a really good experience. Was cool to see the tower do it's thing. It was kind of funny because they pump in fake audio of the machine sounds into the lobby. Literally was there for tops 30 min before I drove away with it. Full disclosure I work for Carvana and had a decent employee discount although the price was comparative to local dealers with a much larger selection.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Good choice. I love my ‘19. Did a full turbo-back exhaust, intake and a KTuner and I am still getting 39mpg. One of the best parts of the KTuner is the rev-hang delete, if that starts to bother you at any point.

Cool, what specific mods do you have? I'm already looking to add CAI and Tune.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't want to shop shame, but in 2019 what argument do people make for buying an ICE car other than "I want it and dont care about the consequences"??

If it makes you feel any better I moved from a 18mpg to a 30+mpg. Also I can't afford a 40k car. Not that I don't want an EV. Also, there is something special about rowing your own gears that I'm not sure I'll ever get tired of.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Does my terrible purchase that started this whole debate become any better if I said that it replaced a vehicle that was 18mpg while literally burning oil as part of the combustion process with something that gets 38mpg and probably burns much cleaner.

I purchased some some beard oil https://www.amazon.com/Bearded-Bast...=gateway&sr=8-1

And a cat brush thing because my cat hats me. Hopefully it works. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076889QC9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Picked up a cheap 250gb Kingston SSD. My current drive with windows installed took a poo poo on Sunday out of the blue. I guess with ssd's you don't get the. Oh this might be failing stages where you can sometimes get them to work long enough to pull any 'important' data or windows keys etc off of.

Also a new copy of windows probably coming up because I never registered mine to my Microsoft account and thus lost the key from windows 7 upgrade to 10.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

Better start saving up for that $3 eBay windows 10 pro key.

It's been so long since I've messed with windows. Turns out that when you upgraded from 7-10 (if you did that) and you logged in with a Microsoft account. It registered your digital license along with a profile of your hardware (mobo, cpu, etc) So you can just replace the drive and log in with the same info and as long as there are not significant changes to your hardware it will register. Who knew!? $0 spent.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Spent money on my weekend checking this out. This is not my picture nor does this picture give you a good scale. It's 1 x .75 MILE It's a gigantic hole in the ground made by a meteor. We weren't able to go on the tour around the rim as wind gust were 80mph at the rim. Az has so much cool poo poo. I need to get out more.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you're still there take a trip to the painted desert.

Yeah I live here. It's just hard to make time to do these things.

1redflag posted:

Is this the same as the Petrified Forest National Park/Forest? If so, highly agree.

All 3 of those things are 'relatively' close. We've already talked about making it a trip there next time we are out. I'd also suggest for people to checkout Kartchner Caverns. We wen't there towards the end of last year. really cool if you like caves. https://azstateparks.com/kartchner/cave-tours/cave-information

Additionally, last summer we made it out to Slide Rock in Sedona. Was a perfect get away from 115f - https://azstateparks.com/slide-rock/

sterster has a new favorite as of 04:12 on Mar 4, 2020

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

Tell me about this stuff. I've always been interested in astrophotography and that galaxy shot is wild. I've already got a nice camera, and having only snapped some shots of planets with my big chungus Sigma ultra telephoto I could see myself getting real weird with it. What gear am I looking at, entry-level? Is there a thread for this?

Might be a good start - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3155317

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

OniPanda posted:

I've bought PCB components off of aliexpress because they were my literal only option as Honeywell obsoleted a part that we were using WITH NO REPLACEMENT PART. Aliexpress still had someone selling clones, so that saved us. Also bought a bunch of stuff for building bass effects pedals. Again, you get what you pay for, but it'll do and sometimes it's the only option

This has been my experience when fixing electronics. I needed a very specific lens for a projector light engine that had a bulb burn it. Only place was Aliexpress and you had to buy a pack of 10. Shipping took 3 weeks. I think factories setup pages to sell the parts direct to consumers.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

My hand hurts from practicing, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Rotating the tumbler is what's getting me, I put way too much force on it.

Did you get training locks or random master locks etc? I got one of the practice locks and I still have problems even when I can see the pins. It's almost like luck if I can get the trouble pins out of the way.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Android Apocalypse posted:

I bet that would sear a great steak after it's been sitting in a sous vide bath.

They make these specifically for that. Searzall.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
FYI there is a knives thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846213

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

I paid for someone to do my taxes for the first time and I am very happy.

How much and was it worth it? I've been on the fence with this for a while and now that I've started doing investing and stocks it is becoming more attractive.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

Tried to un-kink a decidedly not un-frozen hose the other week and wound up snapping a large puncture right in the center.

So, thought I’d go with a metal hose this year since they’re only 20$ now... figure at that price it’s basically disposable if it sucks.

The only thing I have to say about hoses is that If you spend $40 you can get a goodyear hose. I've had one outside in AZ sun for near a decade. Used the same one for extermination daily too. S tier hose imo.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

shipwrek posted:

Changed my mind about the electric bike and got a Onewheel last weekend. Been riding a bit every day and think I'll do the commute (about 3km) next week. Went with the XR+ because i'm goon sized and it handles great!

https://onewheel.com/

Once I get a little more confident on it i'm going to try some trail riding

I've been on the fence with this for about 2 months. Been looking for 2nd hand and even had a new one in the cart. I just feel like it's a mid life crisis 35yr old purchase every time I think about it. Like would it be cool hell yeah. Will I fall and break my arm probably.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I finally said gently caress it and dropped the money on the One Wheel. Already got a helm from mtn bike days so wish me luck. Ought to be fun.

Thanks gordon for calling me out. If I gently caress my arm and can't cook I'm going to bitch at you in the cooking thread.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
That's awesome. How would one go about picking up their own Klein bottles from cliff.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

evobatman posted:

Bought a Playstation VR V2 with move controllers for $100 from our Craigslist equivalent!

I'm not going to knock 100$ investment to get into VR. However I've not heard great things in general about the PSVR (anecdotal from 2 friends). If you like it consider picking up a dedicated headset. The quest 2 is pretty good and not too pricey. They also recently removed the requirement to link a FB account if I'm not mistaken.

I hope you enjoy it tho!

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

shipwrek posted:

Trip Report!
Had the Onewheel for over a year now and loving it. Got some new scars and a big ol poo poo eatin' grin every time I go to work or for a late sunday evening cruise around town.

sterster posted:

I've been on the fence with this for about 2 months. Been looking for 2nd hand and even had a new one in the cart. I just feel like it's a mid life crisis 35yr old purchase every time I think about it. Like would it be cool hell yeah. Will I fall and break my arm probably.

Additional trip report. I've had mine since Jun 21' and I've put about 600 miles on it. I've *knocks on wood* not broken my arm yet. Couple of falls and scrapes but I barely break 14 mph/22.5 kmh on it.

It was 100% worth the mental game to throw on some headphones and cruise around to clear your head.

sterster has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Sep 29, 2022

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

Samsung washing machine a decade ago may have been good. I know their fridges have at least one massive class action lawsuit against them for just the most poo poo rear end ice maker you've ever encountered.

This is an entertaining video that goes into some details about the current state of fridges. It at least points to how how you might mitigate some of the issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKJgYVhZ6-w

sterster has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Mar 6, 2023

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

That seems a little bit indecent and/or unwieldy

I thought something similar for the pixel 7 camera bar thing. Turns out the case makes everything flush and it's not as big of a deal as you'd expect.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

fyallm posted:

is that santa claus?

One could argue that Santa Claus, with his gift-giving nature, redistribution of wealth, embodies a spirit of generosity and communal sharing, which aligns with Marx's critique of the individualistic nature of capitalism.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I was more thinking about the spirit of Christmas I guess. Not actual Santa. He's got slave/child labor.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Doom Rooster posted:

You only need to reuse them 237 times to break even with plastic bags for negative environmental impact, and 651 times for cost!

Are you implying we shouldn't get them or they are not worth the cost? Or won't last that long? Are not actually good for the env? Curious to know the context/tone behind your comment.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

ZeusCannon posted:

(If anyone has a recommendation for a good pair of conference headphones with a loving mute button let me know)

Idk about conference head set but I have 2 pairs of Logitech G533 and love them. Good sound not super heavy. Mute button on the back left side and you can flip the mic up out of the way to mute. There is also a small light in the mic showing if your muted. Good luck.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

I. M. Gei posted:

You know you got something neat when the guy cracks the rock open and immediately shows it to his buddies behind the table before showing it to you.

Should have sold it back to him for double. That's the gamble right? That you get something rare and I assume you'd be able to find a buyer at a rock expo. What would the 'cost' of this even be?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Why do you need to cool the whole 5 gallon jug? The office coolers cool down some internal reservoir that gets despensed maybe 24-64oz if I had to guess. Some even offer hot and cold spigots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
With all the SV chat, come on over to the SV thread and share your revolting chicken so we can make fun of you there too! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573640