Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I'll bet it's freezing in there!!

I don't know, it could be cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Dovakid

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mamelon posted:

Such a dull group! Every person seems to be doing "Mysterious Badass." For as much serious drama and fighting in DBZ, there's so much humor and lightheartedness.

2/10 not hammy enough, would not resurrect with Dragonballs.

That being said, 17 has got his part down

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey I got back from Animazement in Raleigh this year, and had a great time parading around as Mario. Anyway, the fun I had in my relatively slapdash costume got me inspired to try and do something that actually required effort to look decent. So I want to try and put together a Majin (fat) Buu costume as I love dragonballz, can do Majin Buu's voice and well, have the correct physique and dimensions for it. that being said, I want it to look good and not like most sad Majin Buu cosplay I've seen posted here and other places.
The main sticking point seems to be the head, Majin Buu's head and tentacle thing. So does anyone have any good idea's on how to go about making that and having it look good. I've seen a few tutorials on making latex masks, but quite frankly they flew right over my head. So, does anyone have any ideas? The rest of the outfit seems easier, albeit time consuming.

I have no delusions that I can make something as good as the italian sfx guy posted earlier, but something that doesn't look too stupid would be nice.

Madmarker has a new favorite as of 19:01 on May 26, 2015

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

fallin1 posted:

You may want to check out the cosplay creation thread over in DIY.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473045

Didn't even know that thread existed, I'll look through and post for help there.

Thanks

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

New Leaf posted:

What's up fellow Raleigh goon? I have a Facebook feed full of photos from that con. An old friend of mine was Batwoman one day and some blonde chick with a bob haircut, white armor, and a giant sword.. didn't recognize her character.

That said, it seems really hard to make that thing look both seamless and not like a sex toy. Maybe just strap a floppy pink dildo to your head and run with it?

Lol, actually I'm a Greensboro goon, only there for the con.

I mean, worst case scenario, I do that as the comedy option but I'm hoping to make something a bit nicer.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

This was easily one of my favorite cosplay pictures from Animazement. Not the best quality, but still

Got to love Ezio on the window.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Maybe she's there to help him back when he gets done posing, but I'd hate for anybody to be in my way if I were sitting on that sill and ready to bug out and jump back to solid footing at any second.

Nah the girl sat down like ten minutes after Ezio first got in position there. I don't think they had anything to do with each other.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

This one quacks me up.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Taeke posted:

It's kind of like people bringing up your tiny penis every time they talk to you. Sure, it's small, but you don't want it to define who you are let alone dictate the way people treat you.

To be fair to the people who treat him like he is his micropenis, it is a really small penis.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

That's a good ferngully. I dont know the character's name, but that is a good female lead from that movie.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

That is impressive. Now I have the digimon theme in my head...

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

HaB posted:

This theory doesn't hold up in light of the fact that Luke had different versions for different outfits he wore in the original trilogy: Tattooine Luke, X-Wing Luke, Jedi Luke, etc etc. So they could have easily done a version of Rey without a saber because movie reasons.

Pretty sure they just (erroneously) thought A- action figure buying nerdboys wouldn't give a poo poo about a female lead character and B - girls don't like science fiction (or buy nerd toys) and that's it.

So simple stupidity/sexism, basically.

market segmentation

dini interview on young justice posted:

DINI: “But then, there’s been this weird—there’s been a, a sudden trend in animation, with super-heroes. Like, ‘it’s too old. It’s too old for our audience, and it has to be younger. It has to be funnier.’ And that’s when I watch the first couple of episodes of Teen Titans Go!, it’s like those are the wacky moments in the Teen Titans cartoon, without any of the more serious moments. ‘Let’s just do them all fighting over pizza, or running around crazy and everything, ’cause our audience—the audience we wanna go after, is not the Young Justice audience any more. We wanna go after little kids, who are into—boys who are into goofy humor, goofy random humor, like on Adventure Time or Regular Show. We wanna do that goofy, that sense of humor, that’s where we’re going for.’”

DINI: “They’re all for boys ’we do not want the girls’, I mean, I’ve heard executives say this, you know, not where I am, but at other places, saying like, ‘We do not want girls watching this show.”
SMITH: “WHY? That’s 51% of the population.”
DINI: “They. Do. Not. Buy. Toys. The girls buy different toys. The girls may watch the show—”
SMITH: “So you can sell them T-shirts if they don’t—A: I disagree, I think girls buy toys as well, I mean not as many as f***ing boys do, but, B: sell them something else, man! Don’t be lazy and be like, ‘well I can’t sell a girl a toy.’ Sell ‘em a T-shirt, man, sell them f***ing umbrella with the f***ing character on it, something like that. But if it’s not a toy, there’s something else you could sell ‘em! Like, just because you can’t figure out your job, don’t kill chances of, like, something that’s gonna reach an audi—that’s just so self-defeating, when people go, like… these are the same fuckers who go, like, ‘Oh, girls don’t read comics, girls aren’t into comics.’ It’s all self-fulfilling prophecies. They just make it that way, by going like, ‘I can’t sell ‘em a toy, what’s the point?’
DINI: “That’s the thing, you know I hate being Mr. Sour Grapes here, but I’ll just lay it on the line: that’s the thing that got us cancelled on Tower Prep, honest-to-God was, it’s like, ‘we need boys, but we need girls right there, right one step behind the boys’—this is the network talking—’one step behind the boys, not as smart as the boys, not as interesting as the boys, but right there.’ And then we began writing stories that got into the two girls’ back stories, and they were really interesting. And suddenly we had families and girls watching, and girls really became a big part of our audience, in sort of like they picked up that Harry Potter type of serialized way, which is what The Batman and [indistinct]’s really gonna kill. But, the Cartoon Network was saying, ‘F***, no, we want the boys’ action, it’s boys’ action, this goofy boy humor we’ve gotta get that in there. And we can’t—’ and I’d say, but look at the numbers, we’ve got parents watching, with the families, and then when you break it down—’Yeah, but the—so many—we’ve got too many girls. We need more boys.’”
SMITH: “That’s heart-breaking.”
DINI: “And then that’s why they cancelled us, and they put on a show called Level Up, which is, you know, goofy nerds fighting CG monsters. It’s like, ‘We don’t want the girls because the girls won’t buy toys.’ We had a whole, a merchandise line for Tower Prep that they s***canned before it ever got off the launching pad, because it’s like, ‘Boys, boys, boys. Boys buy the little spinny tops, they buy the action figures, girls buy princesses, we’re not selling princesses.’”

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Huh, that is incredibly creative.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

The movie "They Live."

You're not the brightest bulb in the box, are you?

Either that or a robot

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Digirat posted:

What is wrong with that game and the people who like it No I do not want those flowers oh no I am so uncomfortable right now

The game itself is actually fun with a pretty inventive storyline and interesting replay mechanic. The characters, story, music and atmosphere of the game is all very well done. The mechanics and interesting spin on typical Jrpg conventions helps with that.

The problem is that it attracts the same high school age kids that would have been attracted to Homestuck a few years ago. Some of the humor of the game is almost perfectly designed to attract those sorts of people like moths to a flame. I still really like the game and think people should try it out, but I do agree, the fanbase can be a bit twee and distrubing at times.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

hooah posted:

What the hell did I just watch?

There is a sequel to MEMEME called Girl (daoko), I would post it, but I am at work and it is also definitely NSFW

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think it's Gaara from Naruto? I also think they're a guy in the series, but I'm not sure.

It is a dude. He can control sand. That giant peanunt is a jug that holds sand that is also his mother.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Elfface posted:

Hey, DBZ's main plot was the screaming. The filler was... something else.

"Construction Details: I just took a blue marker and drew triangles on an orange shirt..."

Goku and Piccolo learning how to drive is unironically the best filler any anime has every done. If nothing else for the silly cosplay it has engendered.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Really? like I eat up the DC animated movies and love the DC universe, but BVS had a nonsensical plot, that had the titular characters fighting for no good reason, bad acting (Lois and Lex in particular), meh fight scenes and so many dream sequences and flash backs it made Inception jealous.

Anyway, I think this cosplay really captures the spirit of One Punch Man. If you put to much effort in the outfit it doesn't work.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

If it's Yaya Han or Jessica Nigri in a costume you don't recognize it's most likely from League of Legends.

FTFY

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Does your mother talk about her erection while pretending to be drunk though.

Yours doesn't?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

It is sobering to see all the JoJo cosplay (I'm assuming it's JoJo) and realizing what a huge barrier to entry knowing every character is, especially after years of instantly recognizing superhero and video game and some anime cosplays. I mean I could just read all the JoJo stuff but :effort:

I like the costumes though. They look pretty and the people wearing them always seem like cooler people than your average anime cosplayer.

Jojo's is great, if you like bad rear end fights, horror movies, classic rock references and Vogueing like an Italian fashion model....than I have a series for you.

Oh and occasionally Clown Freddy Kreuger Grim Reapers that are also poo poo eating babies...it has that too:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Didn't recognize a single one but dick gun was pretty cool.

Oh yeah, the cyborg flashlight nazi is another awesome JoJo's character.

JoJo cosplay is best cosplay

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

So since the Snatch Duster appreciation station is being derailed by Jojo, anyone got any Killer Queens? Like, whatever this is about, for example?

I don't even know if there is a context to this or not.

According to wiki, Soul'd Out is a Japanese hiphop band. (Diggy-Mo and Shinnosuke are two of the three band members) So I am guessing they got Araki to do the promotional material for a concert? WHy they used Killer Queens face on these woman is anyone's guess. I do like the Run-DMC shirt though.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Network42 posted:

Chun-der Woman?

I am partial to Diana-Li

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey so I know it isn't the best cosplay in the world.....but hell, I got my face on the cover of a local paper for my.......admittedly overly bearded Mario. So here it is:

• Locked thread