Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So I guess it's OK to do our own stuff - Finally had someone take a few pics, so now I've got something other than selfies. It's 95% done, so a few unfinished details, but goddamn was it satisfying to look at these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Inzombiac posted:

Do you have a build guide? The next thing I want to wake is DS armor.

No build guide YET - I'll compile one once everything is finished. Still a few finishing touches to make.

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Your stance in the first pic is great.

Good, 'cause that's about as far as I can bend in that getup.

McKilligan has a new favorite as of 17:57 on May 24, 2014

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Captain Lavender posted:

Oh man, you even got the seal on his belt right. I love it.

Actually, when I checked back on a bunch of concept, in-game, and player armour references, none of them featured the crest on the belt, just the circles with studs. I put it on there anyway just because I thought it would be cool.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I see them too, so we're either right or it's catching.

Thing to remember are DS1 is that the texture resolutions were very...console. You basically get full freedom for any details below the resolution of what those textures can show.

Huh. I see 'em too! They don't show up in any other concept art, though. Glad I added it!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So - went to another Seoul Comic World - actually took quite a few photos this time. Summer has finally arrived in force, and today was the warmest we've had yet, temperatures finally hitting the 90s, maybe mid-80s in the shade. Koreans are goddamned determined to cosplay. Some of my favorites -

Outside the convention center. Inside is mostly vendor booths selling homebrew comics / manga / manwha, and a stage for some of the competitions and skits.

Outside, in the adjacent park, is where the majority of the cosplayers hang out to take photos. Here's a poorly stitched panoramic of the park center.

Mako and Satsuki

Keep in mind it's 90 degrees out here.

Homestuck is a thing here too, suprisingly enough.

Kenshin?

LOL characters, I assume

Once again - black full body suit, and it's 90+ degrees outside. Respect.

No idea. Cute revolver though.

More Kill la Kill

Yet another, but superior Mako

gently caress yeah, limited movement armor buddy!

Ghibli! gently caress yes.

Here's a link to the full album, I took 40+ pictures. Maybe in October or November I'll bring Artorias, but not until temperatures settle into the low 70s at most.

McKilligan has a new favorite as of 10:07 on May 31, 2014

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

Not quite everything, there's a few tears that the cosplayer missed. Doesn't detract from the fact that it's fantastic. Just thought I'd point it out because I'm a pedantic sod.

Don't think it's the same person, but here's all the Rat Queens - https://www.flickr.com/photos/71598011@N00/6103783912/in/photostream/

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Had a ton of photos taken, I'm justing hoping that the photographers rememeber to e-mail me the copies. In the meantime, here's what I managed to find from Saturday -

Guess who managed to tuck their cloak under the belt. Also, it is extremely difficult to get the cloak/cowl just right when you've got gloves on. I need an official handler to make sure ma head looks gud.

McKilligan has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Oct 19, 2014

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Roblo posted:

drat, you look fantastic. Never played Dark Souls (im guessing dark souls?) but that looks sick. Looks like it would actually work as armour, which is a bonus. Whats it made out of?

EVA foam and Polyurethane resin. Not the easiest crap in the world to work with, but the only materials I could find in ready supply, and suprisingly resilient! I'm proud to say that the entire costume made it through the day without any noticeable wear and tear. That was a big relief, since I'd only ever worn the drat thing for about 5 minutes at a time before. It was also suprisingly comfortable, the only drawback being that I've got a lot of difficulty bending down, but standing is just fine.

McPantserton posted:

Said it before, saying again, this turned out soooooo badass. Makes me want to do something with chainmail so bad.

Hope you've either got pre-made rings or about a billion spare hours - that crap takes FOREVER (but goddamn does it feel good when it's done)

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Found a few more! The e-mails from photographers begin to trickle in. I'm hoping the best are yet to come.

This last one was one I found on some Korean messageboard - someone went ahead and photoshopped me in the arena.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Crossposting from the DIY cosplay there, but here we go - I finally got in contact with the dude I'd been waiting on, and he got some CRAZY good shots. Here's a little taste -

And Here's the gallery

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Cicadas! posted:

Jeez, that is the dutchest angle I've ever seen. Maybe his tripod was in the process of falling over while he was taking the picture? That can't have been intentional.

e: The costume is definitely rad though. Was it hard to see out of Artorias's weird hood-met?

drat near impossible, actually. You've got a teeeeny-tiny field of vision and you gotta tilt your head back to see anything in front of you, what with the low helmet and all. It was a huge pain trying to get the hood and cloak just right for the photos, especially wearing gloves. I didn't have a handler buddy to help me out that day, sadly.

EDIT - Whelp, was just e-mailed some even BETTER photos. They just don't stop.

McKilligan has a new favorite as of 13:41 on Oct 23, 2014

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

7c Nickel posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473045&userid=116728

There's a bit on a Raiden-ish costume and then he starts covering the construction of this one. Seems like he paints resin on to the foam to set it, sands, and then starts on the painting.

Close! You have to prime the foam with wood glue BEFORE you apply resin. Polyurethane resin does not bind very well to EVA foam on it's own, but with a layer of wood glue it's fine. The resin is goes from the consistency of 'runny like water' to flu-snot over the course of like 30 seconds, so there are going to be alot of drips after it hardens, so you'll have to sand it smooth. Make sure you do that outside and wear a mask, I don't know if the dust is toxic or not but inhaling it won't do you any favors.
As far as painting goes, I just used pretty basic automotive spraypaint, primed it with a black semi-gloss, then a silver/chrome.
The EVA foam that I used wasn't quite the same as you find in Yoga mats - it's the same material, but the sheets that I found were much thinner, about....3/16 of an inch mostly, I think?

Anyway - here's a rough build log I compiled a while ago, let me know if you have any more questions.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Dusted off the suit again yesterday

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Was this just in some park? Because I got a chuckle out of seeing those people in the background and wondering if one was just thinking "...Is that a knight?"

The park is part of the convention complex - if you could look behind the photographer you'd see a couple hundred other people in get-ups at least as weird as mine.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So, one of my friends from college is kind of nuts about uncharted.

Same person

Makeup is a hell of a thing!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Could be that she'd just finished the mask and wanted to take it for a test run. If someone were willing to put that much effort into a single prop, I doubt they'd stop there.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

10 Beers posted:

Well, that's great for you. I've never seen Totoro, so I've no idea.

You should remedy that pronto.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Some Numbers posted:

Stuffed cat, 0/10.

Bull-loving-poo poo, the stuffed cat makes it particularly canon. The only thing lacking is that it isn't in a cage.

McKilligan has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Aug 9, 2015

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Awesome, but no forehead tentacle or sucker-cup eaps?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

:perfect:

I knew we had these smilies for a reason

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Self Horn-tooting imminent. Took the 'ol getup out for a spin again on Sunday.

Slightly Larger Album

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Are we doing Halloween stuff?

We were skeletons.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Popped up on my fb feed, pretty sure the guy goes by 'Lyron Aquino'

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yellow Rain Coat, so she's a blue-haired Harriet the Spy

Close, It's Coraline.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Apparently the dude is now doing an Olgierd van Everic cosplay too. Goddamn.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

For the unaware, that's not even an edit, that was an actual Family Circus strip.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Saint Freak posted:

Someone took this photo and was like yeah, this is fine.

They didn't even get the whole goddamned sword in the picture! Like, just Dutch the other way, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
A few months ago after posting my Artorias costume all over the internet, I made a friend in Italy who asked for some construction tips on his own artorias. Turns out that we both had the same project lined up next - Soul of Cinder from Dark Souls 3. Seems like he was a lot more industrious than me, I'm still sitting on a pile of uncut EVA foam and half-finished chainmail, while he's been putting in the work.

That loving sword, goddamn.

• Locked thread