Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
YO!

The coat needs altering in the back, it's far too tight for wearing for a whole convention, but drat I look good regardless. Still very much a work-in-progress, of course, even discounting the alterations to the coat itself. Still need... all the other parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

How I love my coat of many colors~

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you've got it, flaunt it

That owns. Wow.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

What's is this supposed to be?

Rose Tyler and Donna Noble, two characters from Doctor Who (originally played by Billie Piper and Catherine Tate, respectively).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Penny Paper posted:

It's time for everyone's favorite game show: "Village Person or Cast Member from ''G.I. Joe''?"

That's Shore Leave, from The Venture Brothers, and congratulations you get the joke.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Apparently a whole bunch of people got photos with this Spiderman cosplayer at Comicon today and had no idea it was actually Daniel Radcliffe

Interview

IT'S ME, VOLDEMORT!

oh son of a bitch!

IT'S ME VOLDEMORT, IT WAS ME ALL ALONG VOLDEMORT!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Reo posted:

This Joker guy has been recreating classic images now with excellent results.

no i'm pretty sure that's the actual alex ross painting.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

We named the dog Indy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DISCOUNT BRONY SAFARI!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

This... THIS IS MY MASTERPIECE!!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well, I went to the Doctor Who World Tour event in NYC yesterday, so here's some more pictures of myself! More pictures - including some people who are not me - will get posted as I find them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The poor guy (along with Jenna Coleman) hasn't had a good night's sleep in a week of touring.

He told me to call him Peter, and you can see his arm around my shoulder! :downs:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Doctor Who is just mostly garbage. Hell, the Sixth Doctor's TV stories are almost ENTIRELY garbage.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

There seem to actually exist Doctor Who fans who, in fact, don't already know that. Mostly younger ones. The majority of the people in that line, for instance, were very much uncritical fans - they had their preferences, of course, but they'd watch anything with their favorite Doctor(s) in it.

Meanwhile, I can barely sit through Six's best TV stories - I listen to his radio adventures, which are much better-written and you can't see the coat.

EDIT: Hell, there are some very loud internet Who fans who get, like, profoundly upset at any "negativity", real or percieved, about Doctor Who. They're emotionally stunted on some level, obviously, either due to being literal children or due to suffering some profound mental imbalance, but they exist and they'll comment very loudly, en masse on any remotely critical writings that get on their radar. They'll get all indignant and offended at you being "mean" to [the writers, the BBC, the fans, whatever]. It's so weird.

DoctorWhat has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Aug 16, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

He's so sad and lonely and majestic, we must protect him!! :argh:

I meant the show, not the character. Though they feel that way about the actual Doctor Whos, too, despite them being, you know, fictional.

Often it's the same poo poo that goes into defending Power Girl's boob-window with in-universe arguments. "That's the way she CHOOSES to dress," nerds say. "Can't she own her own sexuality!?" they cry out, actively ignoring that her dialog, characterization, and appearence are all overwhelmingly created by dudes.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Now I feel bad for making fun of DoctorWhat. I didn't know he was practically a child :(

I don't feel bad about making fun of you for being... so many things. Don't worry about it. And I have a youthful face.

Irish Joe posted:

You could also say she doesn't represent women and that any discussion of the problematic nature of her tits is ultimately intellectual masturbation (which is objectively less fun that physical masturbation, something people also do when they see Powergirl's tit window).

You COULD say that. You could ALSO say that Irish Joe has three eyes and four buttocks, and then masturbate (metaphorically or literally) about them.

Neither of these activities will get you anywhere in life.

DoctorWhat has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Aug 16, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Come dude you shoulda went full-hog and permed your hair. :colbert:

I probably will for NYCC.

quote:

Although you look like you'd be able to do a prefect 5th Doctor...

Two reasons why not:

1) If I don't do Six, no one else will. With great coats comes great responsibility.
2) I'm allergic to beige.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

I'll never understand why people dress as the most obscure or ironic character they can find instead of a character they actually like. The dozen people who recognize Robbie at Comic-Con can't be worth the hundreds of hours it took to make that costume.

I was going to go to NYCC in my Sixth Doctor Who getup again but instead I'll go as this post.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

Boo this man.

Boo me, too, the same joke ran through my head and I was just coming here to post it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Zombie Boat posted:

Just saw DoctorWhat on BBC America for a pre-dr who special. Your techno color coat was amazing.

I AM THE KING OF DOCTOR WHO FANDOM!

Wil Wheaton can kneel before me, and Chris Hardwick will be fed to the lions!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Zombie Boat posted:

You even had a couple spoken lines man. You're gonna be a star! Suck it Wheaton.

I was starting to wonder when that particular interview footage would get out there...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Does anyone have a video of DoctorWhat schooling people? I saw the posts on tumblr last night but don't know what I'm looking for to watch.

I've been looking but no one's uploaded it to Youtube as far as I can tell. I'll check the usual locations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Does anyone have a video of DoctorWhat schooling people? I saw the posts on tumblr last night but don't know what I'm looking for to watch.

Hey hey hey, I did it myself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Lv4qEROAA

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

cosplay in motion, by me

because someone built a TARDIS for NYCC and I had the opportunity

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

GFY/WEBM version:

https://gfycat.com/GreenFreeAsianpiedstarling

also I just realized I'd forgotten to tuck my NYCC pass into my waistcoat, g'doy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jonny Angel posted:

Hey DoctorWhat, sorry to ask something that sounds kinda accusatory, but why do you choose that specific Doctor to cosplay? My understanding of him is limited to two facts: he has a ridiculous colorful coat (a good reason to cosplay him), and he apparently likes to choke women? (a good reason not to cosplay him)

As a matter of fact, you are NOT the first individual to accuse me of domestic-violence-apologia because of The Coat!

I am extremely aware of the loving garbage legacy of the Sixth Doctor's introductory story. I do not defend the decision to depict such actions, as some fans do, on the basis that it was "regenerative trauma". The Twin Dilemma, and the stories that follow, depict a horrendously tone-deaf and toxic relationship dynamic between the Doctor and Peri.

However, I became a fan of the Sixth Doctor via a series of audio dramas produced decades later, which posit a much-developed and "mellowed" character who expresses deep remorse for his behavior. (I am particularly looking forward to this winter's series of Six-and-Peri stories, which seem set to directly address those troubles.) So while I'd never try to excuse or defend Dilemma, I can at least honestly claim that my fannishness is DESPITE those loving abominable moments, not because of them.

Of course, defending the Sixth Doctor (who has a number of qualities that I find, to be honest, profoundly relatable and inspirational on a personal level, especially in his more recent, better-written appearances) isn't the only angle at which I could address this. For instance:

Do you accuse cosplayers of the Joker of similar callousness? The Joker, irrespective of the whole mass-murder thing, has a profoundly abusive relationship with Harley Quinn. Yet every convention I attend, I see numerous couples dressed as that pair. The psychosexual implications are troubling, to be sure - but odds are they're just not worrying all that much about it. And just talking about Doctor Whos, the Tenth Doctor at one point invades a woman's mind against her explicit, verbal protests, yet is portrayed as being justified in that action. Furthermore, I have, in person, gotten more poo poo this past NYCC alone about my costume choice than I've EVER seen aimed at fans/cosplayers of Noted Rapist James Bond. And I'm willing - nay, GRATEFUL - to take that poo poo, because it means that people are (rightfully) finding fault with the strangulation scene, and being socially conscious.

Of course the coat is loaded. The whole incarnation of the Doctor is loaded. I endeavor to represent the more positive qualities of Ol' Sixie, without ignoring or defending the - make no mistake - MASSIVE loving BAGGAGE the character carries.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Hremsfeld posted:

:golfclap:

For some content: Found this on Imgur, so I don't know who the cosplayer is. Anyone see them at NYCC and know?

No freaking clue as to their identity, but they were a major hit, so I'm sure the info's out there somewhere.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Media is political, and cosplay is all about media.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Unless I'm missing something there's nothing mocking or dehumanizing about that particular cosplay. You need to mentally separate idiots wearing shoe polish to yell about watermelon and those just trying to resemble and inhabit a character as much as possible. That's a good enough makeup job that if she wanders too far from the con she's likely to learn about racism first hand.

Look, this is gonna get abstract and preachy and self-righteous REAL fast and I'm probably gonna get some details stupidly wrong, but that's kinda my wheelhouse so here goes:

There just aren't that many black characters available to be cosplayed, especially in more popular nerd media. That's a major, long-established problem of representation that content-creators are only just beginning to grasp and improve upon.

In contrast, basically EVERY INTERSECTION OF CHARACTER ARCHETYPE, BODY TYPE, AND SOURCE MEDIUM already has at least one relatively-recognizable white "representative" out there. White people are by NO MEANS at a loss for characters to cosplay.

(Not to mention, when "PoC" cosplay "white" characters, they are often the targets of racist attacks, or of "stealing" characters.)

When white people DARKEN THEIR SKIN, they're... not STEALING, exactly, but "appropriating" one of the very few advantages black, asian, middle-eastern, etc. cosplayers, have, that being special access to a small but valuable range of characters that can represent them.

It's just really fuckin' rude and unnecessary, is what I'm saying. Let black women cosplay as Storm and Martha Jones and let Pacific Islanders and other folks from the same "cited" cultures keep Katara. Or hell, if a character really speaks to you, go for it, but don't fuckin' paint your skin brown like a jerk, just let the dissonance speak for itself. White kids aren't exactly lacking for cosplay options.

DoctorWhat has a new favorite as of 05:54 on Oct 17, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Unless I missed something, people with asian ancestry aren't colored yellow.

UGH

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Since my Doctor's been all over this thread as of late, I think it's appropriate to allow my... ugh... replacement some well-deserved attention. Behold, the best Seventh Doctor cosplayer you'll ever see:

He's an NY local, so we've established a bit of an in-character double-act for conventions and events that largely consists of me indignantly objecting moralistically to his machiavellian machinations while he taps his umbrella to the floor impatiently while calmly walking away.

He's about a head-and-a-bit shorter than me, too, which makes it even better because I have to really contort to make eye contact, especially around the brim of his hat, so the "blocking" of the bit is really easy to maintain even while navigating crowded convention halls.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Boy am I glad they're freeza in there and we're out here.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Snowy posted:

She transformed from normal picture into full cosplay 45 degree angle photography!

And the camera's at the same angle, which is kinda mindbending.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The camera's always on the same angle as the photo, that's how photos get made. :ssh:

i mean, the camera's at the same angle between the photos. but the ANGLE of the photos is different.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rogue 7 posted:

The camera is always going to be at that angle, dude. Or horizontal if the picture is in landscape. Since, you know, it's the pint of view of the picture. Look at her wrists in the two pictures. The camera isn't being held the same.

i'm an idiot

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Just look at it as a great new story for the "Things you just realized" thread :buddy:

i do not post in that thread, nor do i read it, because i hate being wrong in public

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

He should do Gaston next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah... doom.

• Locked thread