Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Blizzcon was last weekend, so here's some of the coolest cosplay I saw online! I've got some big Blizzard cosplay plans for this year too so I'm so into it all.

Danielle Beaulieu Cosplay

Lightning Cosplay

Cosplay Py, who won the contest but unfortunately I hear she sprained her ankle in this crazy thing and couldn't go on stage.

Danielle Beaulieu again and Phaleure Cosplay

Kamui Cosplay

Yuks General

Jet City Cosplay

Not sure who this is but drat

Oshley Cosplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
EVA foam (craft foam, yoga mats) is pretty commonly used, too. My costumes are pretty much either worbla or vacuum formed styrene/ABS.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Vacuum forming is a process where you sculpt something rigid, then heat a sheet of plastic, stretch it over your sculpt, and suck all the air out so the plastic conforms. There are a ton of ways to build/get a vacuum former, my first vacuum former was 18" x 24" and used my oven for heat and a shopvac for suction. My cosplay group now owns a 2 foot x 3 foot one with built-in heating coils and a compression tank, it was super expensive though!

So here are some of my sculpts for my Warhammer 40k costume, made mostly out of random crap like cups, trash cans, etc. or self-sculpted if need be with bondo and apoxie sculpt resin clay for the details

\

On the table (this one was done in a thicker plastic for structure and doesn't have the detail added yet):

Sheets formed:

Cut out and assembled:

On my body, painted up all nice:

e. We post a lot of progress shots on our facebook page too https://www.facebook.com/FoamCorps

e2. Here is a super low quality video of it actually working! https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10102349570708347&set=vb.249186805182421&type=3&theater
and the whole table setup

McPantserton has a new favorite as of 21:27 on Nov 13, 2014

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Samuel posted:

poo poo I can barely crank out a costume a year let alone this.
I do usually 2, and sometimes 3 big projects a year and it is a rapid pace. 3 is fuckin rough. I'm planning on starting my main 2015 outfit in probably January-February this year so I can spend the time to do all the required lights and chainmail and other bullshit.

And more photos, here's my full 40k group together :commissar:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

The Locator posted:

So how does a group like this get started? Were you all 40k gamers that decided to get into the cosplay, or were you just like minded cosplayers that decided to focus on 40k, or what?

I have no idea how I'd locate someone else in my city that would be interested in the same hobby that I have, let alone something this specific.

Some of both? With 4 of us we hardly ever do something that all 4 of us are really into, we kind of take turns but we're all close enough friends (and I'm married to the techpriest there :v: ) that at least 3 of us are often super into any given idea. The first year we did our group, the Inquisitor guy there and I built a Big Daddy suit and asked our sister hospitaller there to be a Little Sister with us but she'd never played Bioshock, she's just smallish and good at sewing. I don't play 40k but I really like the design and the universe, I'd played in a tabletop RPG campaign and read some of the books and all so that was my suggestion the next year/this last year. I haven't really played much StarCraft but the other 3 love it and I like the design of the marines so I was happy to go along with it. I'm playing WarCraft 3 right now to get some background cred established without having to commit to WoW, haha.

e. If you think getting 4 people to do 40k was logistically tough, please note that I painted every single piece of armor in this photo :gonk:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Leper Residue posted:

As a straight man I feel like this is the wrongest question, but is that a wig? I've tried getting hair that color and except for when it was straight up falling out it was never that white and voluminous.

Like I think I see roots, but I'm not sure how wigs really work. Extensions maybe?

It's probably a type of wig called a lace front wig! They have sheer netting along the hairline with wig hairs anchored in more natural hair patterns so you can have a realistic hairline. Usually you get the very stark, unnatural hairline with wigs because the hair is attached in long thin strips called wefts so the hair only wants to go in one direction and all comes out of the same spots, if that makes sense.

Here's a closeup of a lace front wig hairline in action:

Yaya Han as Ashe from League of Legends

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Samuel posted:

I don't look like Seth Macfarlane, maybe it's the black hair. :crossarms:

It's not that though, you know what I'm peeved about is that people make really cool stuff in cosplay. But that some mild erotica done by someone with E cup breasts will get trillions of favorites and recommendations. poo poo like if I look at the old photos from Kana Cosplay where she did that fire emblem girl she looked like she smoked crack, but her Super Sonico nurse photos look amazing like 5 digital experts and a make-up production crew worked on her. It's kinda like streaming, does sex really sell so well that it kind of obscures what it's about : Dorks doing costume production of their dork hobbies?

I'm not even saying: "pls stop now!" but it feels so, low hanging fruit kind of instant gratification. And I wonder how I feel about that, I guess it's no surprise that cosplay is the new thing for people who don't want to go into the cutthroat modeling world. Maybe It's part jealousy that I can't explode as big or easily in the same way, I think a lot of the arguments against hotty cosplay would come from that corner.

Make armour and water transfer dip everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgEjrtBprlo

If it makes you feel any better, basically none of those people are making any money on cosplay anyway so their popularity is really sort of dubiously valuable. There's a relatively famous cosplayer (200k+ facebook followers) who's friends with some of my friends and she had to get her parents to pay for the supplies for her last costume. I can only name maybe 3-4 cosplayers in the world that earn a living on prints and other associated sales.

Here are a few more BlizzCon shots, seems like everybody I follow is in a bit of a lull right now with con season being mostly over.
Phaleure Cosplay, love that shield

Not sure who these ladies are but I love both of these!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Also wrong side I guess :v: but here's some more badass amputee cosplay, I was at the con this was at and was really mad that I never saw him out in costume. My friends from X-Geek judged the contest and got a bunch of pictures and told me about it though, cosplay is from How To Train Your Dragon 2

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
It's just one of those Japanese onesie pajama things, I don't think it's meant to be a serious Toothless cosplay.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

King Vidiot posted:

Pretty sure that's the joke. Also reasonably certain that's Chris Hardwick, which is what's making me more uncomfortable.

Must be because Elizabeth there is definitely Chloe Dysktra, and they used to date.

Kinda the dead season for new cosplay but here's one of my friends (Pippi and Ix cosplay) doing some Dragon Age Inquisition stuff and looking super badass.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I just finished a new costume! Sorceress Edea from Final Fantasy 8, been working on it at a leisurely pace for like 5 months. I definitely managed to drop and break one of the horns on my helmet on Friday before I ever wore it but fortunately I had everything I needed to fix it decently.

My husband dressed up as Headmaster Cid with me because hey, themed handler on Valentine's Day :3:

Also gotta give credit, my friend V from Verssen Werks did my fabulous makeup for me (gold puffy paint! Who would have thought?) and my bro Colin from Break Point Z did my photos and I'm dying of joy, omg.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Lady Ava Cosplay from Book of Life

And one more of me and my husband :3:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

404GoonNotFound posted:

1) Are those permanently affixed, and if so 2) how the hell does she walk?

They are, and it's hard to see but I think she put them on a clear acrylic base so in person they look like they're floating, too, which I thought was an extra nice touch! Based on my own costume experiences I'm guessing she
probably just doesn't walk much without somebody to help lift and rearrange that skirt.

Irish Joe posted:

A decent costume that could've been great if she had just splurged :10bux: on a can of spray tan.

hahaha ok

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

:(

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Original dragon armor design by Erza Cosplay, super impressive detail work. Her progress shots on her facebook page are definitely worth checking out.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I'm pretty sure the face scars were done using rigid collodion, which is actually super easy to do. You put down flat color with whatever first, then paint the collodion on in layers and it puckers your skin a little so if you apply it well it looks super realistic. Smells like the devil's taint, though!

Here's another one of her costumes that I really like with bonus goofy angled photography because I know how much this thread loves that

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Don't you have to be really careful not to overuse that stuff, or it will actually scar?

It's pretty harsh, but honestly I think you'd have to be kind of a moron to give yourself a real scar with it. Last time I used it I had a red irritated mark on my face after I peeled it off, so I didn't use it until the irritation was better and my face is just fine.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Funzo posted:

Can't you do the same thing with liquid latex? I've seen that used for scars, but I don't know if it gives the same effect.

No idea, I suck pretty hard at makeup in general and the internet made me think collodion was the easiest choice :shobon:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Armored Sailor Scouts, starring Jessica Nigri and friends!

Queen Ariel by Lanthea Cosplay, not finished yet and obv a bathroom selfie but it's looking so nice I thought I'd share anyway

One million ruffles in a Sakizou design by Becka Noel Studios

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Norse Code posted:

Oh man, this makes me yearn for Vienetta...

It's designed after a vienetta so I suppose that's good!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Sakizou!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Who's that pokemon?!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

I love this Zelda build, I really want to make that costume and hers is the one I'd be trying to beat. I'm a professional screen printer and pretty competitive armor maker so I think I could do a killer job with the outfit but I'm just not as cute as her, haha. Gotta finish the Lich King and Witch King first anyway so I guess we'll see!

Here's an excellent cosplay April Fools joke:

A shitload of cosplayers took Misty photos and declared their intent to be the one and only Misty at Cerulean City Comic Con yesterday. So glad I decided to go as Brock!
http://cosplay.kotaku.com/116-cosplayers-dressed-up-as-pokemons-misty-for-april-f-1695187365

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
League is also such a popular game that good cosplays from it get shared a lot so there's a lot of built-in visibility that groups like mine just don't get for poo poo like Warhammer. Riot does a lot of cosplay promotion stuff both at cons and on social media so if your goal is to increase your fanbase League (and after that, Blizzard) is probably the best way to do it.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Marceline Abadeer posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I've been seeing more 40k cosplay pop up on DA/Tumblr/Reddit/etc lately. I don't know a lot about the fandom (or uh, whatever the proper term there is) but it seems like it's finally starting to gain some attention. Doesn't hurt that the costumes are gorgeous, too.

The big part about League imo is that you can do grimdark spoopy costumes, cute costumes, sorta meme-y/in jokey poo poo, or anything in between and it just works.

Oh for sure, the armor is all big and detailed, it's not like Warhammer cosplayers are some underpriveleged class or anything (and I don't care anyway, I have 2 40k cosplays and 1 Fantasy one and someday my magnum opus will be a World Eaters terminator, gently caress yeah). League just gets around a LOT more than pretty much anything else, I think.

Jokey stuff, I have no idea what you mean :v:

Danielle Beaulieu and company, pretty fabulous

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Narga and Aoki Cosplay did a super badass Silent Hill 2 photoshoot that they edited really heavily to get rid of that, I love it so much. SH2 is still my absolute favorite game of all time.

They did a lot of setup too though, before and after edit shot shows it's mostly the lighting they messed with

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

boneration posted:

You ain't kidding, that looks more like fanart than photography. Not a criticism of the cosplay or the picture, both are awesome.

With some costumes I really dislike that heavy of editing, kinda pisses me off if you can't see the costume itself well, but for Silent Hill I think it makes so much sense. The bathroom mirror photo is my absolute favorite.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

This is the best costume I have ever seen in my entire life.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I always feel bad doing scowly badass face while thanking people who compliment my costume but I don't think I've been a character who actually smiles for nearly a decade. The struggle is real, man.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Coraline is one of my favorite movies of all time!

MissTrisi Cosplay, makes me want to make an Other Mother outfit myself

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

umalt posted:

Here I was thinking it was an Iron Maden reference... :sigh:

Building my own Eddie mascot suit is kind of a dream costume of mine but I feel like there are basically no conventions where people would really get it. Someday.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

VendaGoat posted:

I know a guy like this. He contacted the people who run the con because he lost to a kid.

:v: Grown rear end man, pissed about costumes.

I now desperately want to know if we know the same people or if there are just a lot of cosplay people who suck out there. I know a few people who get pretty salty about losing contests on the regular and they are also all middle-aged men. Plenty of guys who do cosplay in that demographic are totally awesome but for whatever reason, from what I've seen, the people who complain the loudest and most childishly about losing are 50ish year old men.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Reformed Tomboy posted:

This is the case. I took third in a contest once and was accused of sleeping with (all 3) judges backstage to get them to pick me. I didn't even take first, and people still gave me crap.

Fortunately more of them are great than terrible though. :3: In fact, here's one of my favorite cospeople, I met him and his daughters at a contest recently and he and his whole family are just fantastic. It's terrible for a cosplayer but I have really terrible stage fright and they have talked me down from flipping my poo poo more than once. He goes by The Cosplay Dad.

And this one is him and me backstage at c2e2, his daughter was in the front row and made me feel like 100x better on stage.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is that one Zasalamel? I think that's the first I've seen of anyone cosplaying as him. Or..anyone other than Ivy, come to think of it.

Yes!! It's part of how we got to be friends, it's Soul Calibur 4 Zasalamel and my group and I did SC4 a few years ago

Cosplay Dad also did SC3 Zasalamel, told us he worked on that chainmail on business trips in like 3-4 different countries

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

mind the walrus posted:

Really want to know what airport security and customs thought of that

I asked, he said he always checked the tools and stuff while actually flying and he has business guy airport clearance because he travels a lot for his job so it wasn't too big a deal

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Dick Trauma posted:

I associate you with your space marine armor so it's weird to see someone taller than you. :orks:

My next costume will be taller :kiddo:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Hremsfeld posted:

Friend of mine found this on an old post on Imgur; McPanterson, is that you?

Oh man, these guys look badass! But no, not me! Both of my 40k Sororitas costumes are colored for the Order of Our Martyred Lady and this costume looks to be the Order of the Sacred Rose, if I'm not mistaken.

Aaaaand it's still not a finished costume since I posted progress last but whatever, here's what I'm working on now, I just finished this helmet last week! This weekend is leg weekend, haha.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Kruller posted:

Are you going to make your own Frostmourne or get one of the replicas? Also have someone "leading" a horse around for you, or just carry some reins, and when people ask where your horse is, say his name is Invisible.

Definitely planning on making it, hopefully I don't run out of time :ohdear: I had not thought of this horse plan, but now...

Gorilla Salad posted:

That helmet looks like it's made from cookie. Possibly scotch finger.

Hand baked in the ovens of Midgard!

Doesn't it? It's a plastic called worbla and I pretty much always secretly want to eat it when I work with it.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Jedit posted:

Are you doing the boots? That would be legendery.

How could I not? I got this fake fur:

and a shitload of quilt batting to make those crazy things as huge as they have to be. I'm actually working on the knee/shin pieces right now.

e. I also have a super awesome plan for glowing eyes! I got the idea from a cosplayer called Obsessive Creative Disorder, I have a bunch of blacklight LEDs on the way to install in the front of the helmet and I'm going to get UV-activated rave contacts. He posted this picture and I can't not have glowing eyes after I saw it.

McPantserton has a new favorite as of 20:13 on May 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"from a licensed optometrist" was the end of that sentence, right?

Right? :ohdear:

Good call! I'll definitely be sure to double-check. Do you have any suggestions for special effects contacts retailers that you trust?

• Locked thread