Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I feel bad for Spider-Man in the back. He seems so tired. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Wrong thread.

Here's an apology:

gamera009 has a new favorite as of 14:22 on Jun 8, 2014

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Lance Streetman posted:

From Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

While technically good, anything Jojo related requires an order of magnitude more sass.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Subtle.

:master:

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

McKilligan posted:

drat near impossible, actually. You've got a teeeeny-tiny field of vision and you gotta tilt your head back to see anything in front of you, what with the low helmet and all. It was a huge pain trying to get the hood and cloak just right for the photos, especially wearing gloves. I didn't have a handler buddy to help me out that day, sadly.

EDIT - Whelp, was just e-mailed some even BETTER photos. They just don't stop.

Just to get a feel for construction, what did you use to create the armor? I remember it being EVA foam, but I don't recall how you got the paint to take.

I'm looking at the same thing right now - using yoga mats to create a chest piece, but from what I've seen, priming the surface is a good idea if you're painting it.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

McKilligan posted:

Close! You have to prime the foam with wood glue BEFORE you apply resin. Polyurethane resin does not bind very well to EVA foam on it's own, but with a layer of wood glue it's fine. The resin is goes from the consistency of 'runny like water' to flu-snot over the course of like 30 seconds, so there are going to be alot of drips after it hardens, so you'll have to sand it smooth. Make sure you do that outside and wear a mask, I don't know if the dust is toxic or not but inhaling it won't do you any favors.
As far as painting goes, I just used pretty basic automotive spraypaint, primed it with a black semi-gloss, then a silver/chrome.
The EVA foam that I used wasn't quite the same as you find in Yoga mats - it's the same material, but the sheets that I found were much thinner, about....3/16 of an inch mostly, I think?

Anyway - here's a rough build log I compiled a while ago, let me know if you have any more questions.

I'll have to rush around to see if I can find some of the stuff here in town. I wasn't sure if I could just go hit an athletics supply shop and grab some mats off the shelf. I could use the thicker ones for the chest pieces - but I definitely need to heat mold the things so they fit to my chest.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Not nearly enough armor, or accuracy.

5/10

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

This makes no sense. Why would you lock off this way? It's incredibly unsafe and limits control for ascent or descent!
:goonsay:

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

I thought this one was a pretty good likeness. I mean, the character isn't really intrinsically all that distinctive but those who could know will clock her in a second.

If someone doesn't recognize her, she can tell them, "you know nothing."

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

8/10

forehead not large enough.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

where them balls at?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

Thanks! Surprisingly I didn't even see many people dress as Jason this year. Then again, I also only had about twelve trick or treaters come to our door last night :(

How many did you murder scare?

I have a Vorhees getup as well, and I am totally stealing that sack trick. It looks amazing.

Did you do any weathering before using it, or did you just punch a hole and go from there?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

That's not how you use climbing rope. At least figure 8 that poo poo or double bowline into a swami belt. :colbert:

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Pretty sure that's forums user McKilligan. :v:

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

HardDisk posted:

Cheers, bruv

Trus' bruv. Believe.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Elsa posted:

You know, I was just wondering: if you put someone on ignore without telling them, is it still smuggy and satisfying?

Yes.

:smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

:master:

This is absolute genius.

• Locked thread