Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
First Biker Mice from Mars cosplay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I know the "head/tails" guys are from Bioshock but what's their deal?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

muscles like this? posted:

There's this whole ballpit thing about Dashcon.

I still don't get it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Drone posted:

Goddamn that one is good.

Is there a word for costumes where the person just happens to have the same face?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Rogue 7 posted:

I have no idea.

The sign says "A wild goriki has appeared." Goriki is both the Japanese name for the pokemon machoke and apparently a japanese idol singer.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

You going to make fun of his reg date next?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Arcsquad12 posted:

That damned leotard was the biggest thing that bugged me about the show.

It was just dumb looking.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Android Bicyclist posted:

Look at all these new posts. I wonder what's going- :stare:

If you idiots are going to argue about the link between cosplay & objectifying the subject, at least post pics.

I always thought it was weird how sexulized the characters in Evangelion were since the show clearly states they're all 14.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
There was something like that at a harry potter book promotion. Some woman posted a giant rant (first time I ever heard someone complain about breeders) about how unfair it was the prize went to a kid who wouldn't even appreciate it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
You don't see much reboot cosplay

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

mind the walrus posted:

Gender-swapped Kraven the Hunter, an extremely 1960s supervillain who fans love to death because he had one pretty good story in the 80s and his design is very iconic:

I'm curious what his great story is. I just know him from the 90s cartoon.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
What's going on with Daredevil there? Kraven only has guns for suicide purposes? Is that Mysterio he's fighting? Cause that's a really one sided matchup.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I've never understood how it's any harder to make the front look like the character's chest instead of a nonsensical picture of them.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It seems like being in amazing shape just makes every cosplay twice as good.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Erebus posted:

Look at this loser can't even get his costume right he's probably not even a real fan

(Congressman John Lewis at Comic-Con, cosplaying as himself from 50 years ago during the Selma to Montgomery marches)

Man I hate when people don't even try with their costumes. "Oh yeah I'm going as myself. lol get it?"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I feel bad making fun of hover hand guys. They don't want to put their hands on a random stranger, and asking "is it ok if I touch you" sounds incredibly creepy.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Colonial Air Force posted:

Oh man, it was created by Daniel Benedict? The Daniel Benedict?

Who the gently caress is Daniel Benedict?

According to http://www.castlegrayskullman.com/ he's someone who won a contest to design a new He-Man character.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

mind the walrus posted:

Don't forget that there's always someone waiting in the wings to jump on someone who feels dissatisfied by being suckered with a classic "Y'know it's all about the journey, not the destination."

Remember, a well-timed aphorism can excuse anything.

People say this for the dumbest reasons.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

swamp waste posted:

That's not what i meant at all. It's on you not to consume a ton of poo poo you don't enjoy in order to get to some always-promised, never-delivered justification. Don't worry about the journey and the destination, because it's all entertainment, it asks nothing of you beyond keeping your eyes open. Thinking about media as something to joylessly shovel down so you can get to the "end" will sap every bit of pleasure from it and leave you unsatisfied when it inevitably-- literally always-- can't deliver the transcendence it has implied is coming. This is something i figured out when i was like 14 and the x-files started to suck really bad

On one hand yeah it's dumb to keep reading/watching something if you're not enjoying it.

On the other hand I sat through the last season of Lost, the last couple of seasons of 24 and Prison-break, and read the last 2 Sword of Truth books because I'm a big dumb baby that wants to see how it all ends.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I think a good comparison is to Team Fortress 2. The characters only have a paragraph of history and the game has no real story. But there's they're well designed and voice acted. They have distinct voices and they change what they say depending on what other characters are around. It gives them a lot more depth than you might expect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tswv55Vg86Y

Same thing is in DOTA. There's 100 characters but they have a huge collection of dialogue. Every character has a bunch of lines when they are teamed up with a friend or when they kill a character they have a history with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tgGHuE1_3E.

The real reason is the DOTA is huge on custom items. Every character has a bunch of alternate costumes so there's 3 or 4 cosplay options for each of them.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

SugarAddict posted:

I remember that comic book, I don't think I have it anymore but it was kind of brutal. And that mini-wolverine is supposed to be mini-beast I think.

Did no one at the time realize how weird this looked?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy gently caress, Happatai.

For those of you who aren't so familiar with Japanese parody boybands of the early 2000s this will explain everything.

This is available of most Japanese karaoke places. I've never met a Japanese person who actually knew what it was though.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
There was that cosplay reality show a few years back. A bunch of people on that got accused of being out of town ringers that had people make their costumes for them.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but I'm looking at doing a sort of cyberpunk/ cyborg thing for Halloween. What's the best way to fake wires and stuff being embedded in my skin/skull?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

I went to highschool with this guy. It's really weird to see him pop up from time to time.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'd watch cowboy bebop on ice

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Norse Code posted:

Ok, this one is incredible! :allears:

Mine didn't turn out as well but it was fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqd9GiaJUos

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Jedit posted:

All community colleges in America have original 2000AD artwork framed on the wall?

It's only 16 years ago. Can't be that hard to get a hold of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Boomerjinks posted:

The break-out vehicle of our Denver Comic Con booth was definitely the Twister Jeep. This was a huge relief as I was super nervous about whether or not it would be iconic enough to illicit the recognition and reaction that the owner was really hoping for. The movie is 20 years old, and while I think the Jeep is the cooler of the two main vehicles, it definitely has way less screen time than the red pickup. Of course, the thing that makes it recognizable at all was the Dorothy unit in the back, but we had that. I was relieved to hear con-goers immediately reciting lines from the movie ("We got cows" being the go-to) and having people ask to inspect Dorothy and climb into the driver's seat.

But nothing could have prepared us for an interaction about an hour before the end of the con. A woman came up to the booth and asked if her husband could get up close to the truck. My co-founder, who owns the truck, jumped up and happily helped them behind the chain to take a look. I couldn't hear the conversation, all I saw was my cofounder pointing out the parts of the vehicle to the guy as he ran his hands over the hood, grabbed the roll cage and touched all the little gizmos on the Dorothy. I snapped some photos just trying to capture a moment of the owner interacting with an enthused attendee.

My cofounder came back to the table looking like he'd just run up a flight of stairs. He explained that 'Twister' was the last movie the guy had seen before losing his sight. As the owner guided him over the car, the guy mentioned he remembered the yellow paint with blue stripes, the rollcage with three lights, and he touched the cylinder of Dorothy and mentioned all the boxes with wires and the spinning anemometers sticking out of the top.

I could have never imagined this stupid hobby would lead to an experience like that. By far, the single most meaningful moment our group has ever had.

This is a cool story but I have to say I'm surprised anyone remembers "Twister" let alone the jeep itself.

• Locked thread