Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Primaris posted:

I'm actually playing this again if anyone's interested. Yeah I know hate me for all you want Im just waiting for Archeage beta so I can actually have a farm plot.

what hearth secret do i add to tp to you and id you + what server, i have fuckloads of things to study left over from months ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004
11 out of 12 physicians agree I have a large penis.
I don't have a personal claim setup yet so you'd have to meet me in Boston. Im currently wandering the wilds searching for a home far away from the tribe. There is only one server now and I don't think the old characters transferred over.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Jorb posted:

Friends, Providentials, countrymen,

As you may already have noticed, the Winds of Change are again blowing hard -- no puns intended -- in the wonderful world of Salem, and loftar and I are thrilled -- which doesn't happen too often -- to share in the announcement today that we are, indeed, turning over the totality of Salem's development reins to Mortal Moments, their project lead John Carver, and the whole of the extended team he'll be setting up for the purpose of tackling this game full on! Imagine that, you will have a whole team working for you, rather than just us two idiots! :)

The dynamic duo that is the Seatribe team has, for the past year or so, been very plauged by an increasingly poor conscience over the state of Salem, and over our by now well demonstrated inability to properly juggle this ongoing responsibility with those becoming Haven & Hearth, our other MMO project, and both projects have as a result suffered from the bifurcation of our energies over the past year. As you may have noticed, our under-acheivement with the last major Salem patch took a good deal of wind out of our sails, and eventually caused us to take the hard decision to focus material development almost exclusively to H&H, leaving poor Salem in its present state of disrepair, over which we have beat ourselves up far more than I think any of you ever could or would. All of this compounds to the joy and -- frankly -- relief, that loftar and I now feel at the prospect of turning over Salem and its future to a team and company that we are convinced will spare no dedication at turning this game around, and toward the bright future I have always remained convinced that it could and should have.

To those of you who appreciate what we do, and whatever qualities and vision we might have for computer game development, fear not! The deal between Seatribe and Mortal Moments implies both an ongoing partnership between us, as well as an extensive role in advicing and consultation on our part toward the new development team. Building an MMO requires at least some skill and know-how, and we will be there at every first step of the new team's way, to ensure that a smooth turnover of the many responsibilites, systems and all and sundries implied by a project of this scope happens. We, thus and also, very much hope to be able to continue to take active part and interest in the continued development of Salem, albeit from a slightly loftier vantage point than has perhaps hereto been the case. While our attention has at times been elsewhere, we have never lost neither hope nor love for this game, it's very unique setting, and the awesomeness of its lore and universe. We believe firmly that this new reigme will infuse the game with a gust of new creative energies that will most hopefully allow it to finally reach above and beyond all of its potential.

Loftar and I would like to thank you all for sticking with us through good and bad times of Salem development. To all of you who still share our love and concern for the game we extend a very heartfelt gratitude. I know our attitude is lovely at times, but we really do like you, your dedication to our games, and we hope to see more of y'all both here and over at H&H, where we -- once Carver & co. are firmly in the driver's seat -- will be investing the majority of our time, with one loving eye always turned to this diamond still in the rough, and every lovely new facet of it that I am sure will soon begin to emerge. Over the course of our various negotiations, we have developed a very close and positive working relationship with John especially, and we have every confidence that he very much means the proverbial business, and very much shares in the fundamental aspects of our philosophy for what this game should eventually be. I have no fear that the positive aspects of the unique niche that this game has occupied will ever be abandoned.

Without further ado, I extend my warmest welcome to Salem's new Captain John Carver, and give a quiet toast to the game's new-found future, and loving adoptive family. I also thank Paradox for the time and energy they have given the project over the years.

Loftar and I will with this post gradually fade away from prominence here, but the future is brighter than ever. Thank you all so very much for everything you've given us. We are and remain humbled, and feel free to ask any and all questions that may remain!

Farewell, Salemmings! Know always that, in quiet moments -- when you look up at the squonks, witches, griefers, bagousers and injuns, or down with your dying face and tears in the mud -- the diune Godhead will still always remain with you, smiling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcunREYzNY
We should at least applaud the ludicrous task of "two dudes making an mmo" :spergin:

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 9, 2014

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Mortal Moments = Paradox subsidiary LLC for asset separation, corporation filed last month

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Biowarfare posted:

Mortal Moments = Paradox subsidiary LLC for asset separation, corporation filed last month

Yeah, there's nothing on google about that studio other than a forum post talking about what Jackard just posted. Is salem getting a new dev team just BS or what?

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004
Not sure but the new dev seems to be really active in the forums for whatever that counts. If anyone is interested I literally walked over 15 hours out of Boston through 10 different mountain ranges. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004
Been in contact with a major player from the previous server a lot of you are very familiar with who wants SA to form an anti-tribe coalition with him. I'll be posting more details tomorrow. Could literally change the landscape of the current server status if we get some people together here.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Primaris posted:

Been in contact with a major player from the previous server a lot of you are very familiar with who wants SA to form an anti-tribe coalition with him. I'll be posting more details tomorrow. Could literally change the landscape of the current server status if we get some people together here.

Hahahaaha um no way. It will be impossible since this game isn't about player expertise or skill, but literally only time investment.

Those Tribe guys have so much time invested in this game that they can face roll any number of goons.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I can't participate because I'm one of the new Salem devs. Sorry.

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004

Snatch Duster posted:

Hahahaaha um no way. It will be impossible since this game isn't about player expertise or skill, but literally only time investment.

Those Tribe guys have so much time invested in this game that they can face roll any number of goons.

This one in particular is the strongest player on the server. He was also the strongest player on the last server. Take a wild guess and I'm sure you know exactly who it is. He also has the other strongest player on the server on his side. There are only 8 real tribe members. He made a SA account and will likely be posting here tomorrow.

Primaris fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 10, 2014

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
If it's Darworth I'm not sure playing with an insane libertarian college drop-out is exactly the social experience most people would want.

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004

Dreylad posted:

If it's Darworth I'm not sure playing with an insane libertarian college drop-out is exactly the social experience most people would want.

The argument was that we would stand no chance, not confirming or denying it is Darworth but we don't have to live with these people. We are only going to be allies against the tribe. And saying we stand no chance against them is no longer true considering the powerbase that will be backing us.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Snatch Duster posted:

I've not played Salem, but I did play a fair amount of H&H. Does Salem use a leveling system similar to the curiosities in H&H?

I preferred the old method where actions like harvesting, baking, and hunting gave you LP. At least then new players, or those far behind, had an outside chance of actually catching up somewhat. Though bots were still a problem, and the unarmed combat bias, and the open client, and the devs, and ...

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Blacktooth posted:

I've not played Salem, but I did play a fair amount of H&H. Does Salem use a leveling system similar to the curiosities in H&H?

I preferred the old method where actions like harvesting, baking, and hunting gave you LP. At least then new players, or those far behind, had an outside chance of actually catching up somewhat. Though bots were still a problem, and the unarmed combat bias, and the open client, and the devs, and ...

Worse. And there is absolutely zero chance of catching up if you are late.

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004
Yeah you won't be as strong as the ones that had a huge head start but humours are much different now. Max humours are no where near what they used to, the strongest players are around 200s and that's about as high as you can get. Honestly though if you die in this game you are retarded. You only die if you choose to. If you see someone 15 hours away from Boston who isn't a friendly then just hit alt+f4. This isn't rocket science.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Primaris posted:

Yeah you won't be as strong as the ones that had a huge head start but humours are much different now. Max humours are no where near what they used to, the strongest players are around 200s and that's about as high as you can get. Honestly though if you die in this game you are retarded. You only die if you choose to. If you see someone 15 hours away from Boston who isn't a friendly then just hit alt+f4. This isn't rocket science.

If you're trying to make the game sound less lovely to outsiders, you're not doing a very good job of it.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

Primaris posted:

Wait you want to make an anti alliance to fight established players in this game, and this is how you describe the combat?

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004

Voyager I posted:

If you're trying to make the game sound less lovely to outsiders, you're not doing a very good job of it.

Thanks for the input but if you scroll through my posts you'll see I've never said the game didn't have it's flaws. The game is flawed in a lot of ways but there is also a lot of fun to be had in this game. My point is that if you're too afraid to play this game because you think some demigod will just kill you then alt+f4. If you die it's literally you're own fault.

Delamore posted:

Wait you want to make an anti alliance to fight established players in this game, and this is how you describe the combat?

I'm saying if you're sitting alone at base and you're afraid of dying and you see someone who you think is a demigod then just log off.

Primaris fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 11, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Primaris posted:

Don't play this game. This isn't rocket science.

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Primaris posted:

As a experienced salem player I can tell you have no concept on how this game works. Until they put a cap on humors to the range of something like 100. Or change the stat scaling there isn't any way possible to compete. Go tell the new devs to cap stats at 50-100. Change the scent system, and farming, then maybe it might be worth playing again.

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004

forge posted:

As a experienced salem player I can tell you have no concept on how this game works. Until they put a cap on humors to the range of something like 100. Or change the stat scaling there isn't any way possible to compete. Go tell the new devs to cap stats at 50-100. Change the scent system, and farming, then maybe it might be worth playing again.

What does your suggestions on how the game should be "in your opinion" have to do with my knowledge of the game or the "concept"? The max players have around 200 humours. If you don't want to die then alt + f4. How does this show I have no concept? Yes this game has flaws, jesus read the thread title I haven't sugar coated anything about this game. I appreciate all the bandwagon hate though but I've been playing for a week now and I'm enjoying it and I thought others might too. Leave it to goons to bandwagon threadshit.

The players who have 200 humours have been playing since February. Each humour 150+ takes one day to gain.

There is flaws in this game. This does not mean you can't have a good time

Maybe if I bold this people will stop posting the same thing over and over.

Edit to say that I appreciate you guys circle jerking with thread making GBS threads but there is interest in the game. I currently have 2 goons with me if anyone else is interested. I think there's been enough trashing the game in this thread that anyone who was going to be scared away by you guys, who were apparently very let down, they fully understand at this point. Can we save the rest of the post in this thread for people with interest? This is a free to play game. You guys were wiped out on the first server, it sucks I know. This is a perma-death game though and there are a lot of flaws. I understand the frustration but move on please. There is the very real possibility now of being on the side that is actually winning now though. Your major concerns are that the game is unfair to weak or new players. That is true if you are the target of the strongest players in the game. But when you are part of an alliance with the strongest players, the rest of the playerbase is basically just anyone you want to kill. Read through my posts in this thread and the progression you will see goes from very skeptical to actually having fun playing the game because of a good base, and meeting the right people in the game. You guys pissed off the wrong players and paid for it.

Primaris fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 11, 2014

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Primaris posted:

Your major concerns are that the game is unfair to weak or new players. That is true if you are the target of the strongest players in the game. But when you are part of an alliance with the strongest players, the rest of the playerbase is basically just anyone you want to kill. Read through my posts in this thread and the progression you will see goes from very skeptical to actually having fun playing the game because of a good base, and meeting the right people in the game. You guys pissed off the wrong players and paid for it.

I laughed pretty hard at this statement. So basically the game is fun because you think your going to poo poo in everyone else's cheerios. I just want to make sure I've got that correct. And otherwise you'd admit its a huge pile of poo poo to anyone who isn't the current double digit playerbase who hasn't poopsocked since February.

Glad we're both on the same page now.

Just so you have your facts correct.

Round one, two Russians who one person pissed off steamrolled the 20-40 player town because they had exactly 20 more bile than the rest putting up a fight. We all died to players with 20 more bile...

Round two, we messed with a pleb, the same people your talking about making GBS threads on. Well this one got a elite internet whiteknight who came and killed some of us. The rest of us moved into the middle of no where and restarted. Then we realized there was no way to ever get 600+ biles after the farming nerf, and we all quit.

People bitch in this thread because out of all the other pos games like Battlefield 15 or Call of Duty: The Rehashenning. We all understand this could be a great game, but it's been stifled by the worst devs on the face of the fucken planet. The new devs could literally just come here and ask us what to fix and we could make it better by spinning in circles while blindfolded. Seriously come the gently caress on!

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004

forge posted:

I laughed pretty hard at this statement. So basically the game is fun because you think your going to poo poo in everyone else's cheerios. I just want to make sure I've got that correct. And otherwise you'd admit its a huge pile of poo poo to anyone who isn't the current double digit playerbase who hasn't poopsocked since February.

Glad we're both on the same page now.

Just so you have your facts correct.

Round one, two Russians who one person pissed off steamrolled the 20-40 player town because they had exactly 20 more bile than the rest putting up a fight. We all died to players with 20 more bile...

Round two, we messed with a pleb, the same people your talking about making GBS threads on. Well this one got a elite internet whiteknight who came and killed some of us. The rest of us moved into the middle of no where and restarted. Then we realized there was no way to ever get 600+ biles after the farming nerf, and we all quit.

People bitch in this thread because out of all the other pos games like Battlefield 15 or Call of Duty: The Rehashenning. We all understand this could be a great game, but it's been stifled by the worst devs on the face of the fucken planet. The new devs could literally just come here and ask us what to fix and we could make it better by spinning in circles while blindfolded. Seriously come the gently caress on!

Round three, there are no players with 300+ humours. Braziers do 40BB per second. Also new devs have just taken over and they have been fairly active so far, maybe things will get better and we could be on the groundfloor? I don't know man you guys seem really jaded and I definitely understand your frustration. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there are no perfect pure sandbox crafting MMOs out there. There is very slim pickings, and this just happens to be one of them that I'm offering to any goon who may be interested an easy safe place to start. Sorry for offending you with my fun.

Primaris fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 11, 2014

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Have the new devs actually said how they plan to change or rather fix the issues? Or are they ice skating like pros in circles around the issues.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

forge posted:

Have the new devs actually said how they plan to change or rather fix the issues? Or are they ice skating like pros in circles around the issues.

I'm interested in this too. It could be the saving grace for this terrible game.

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004

forge posted:

I personally haven't read anything concrete yet, but I can't imagine them sinking money into something and having no plans at all. I'm skeptical yes, but I don't know who these new developers are or what they are capable of so I remain hopeful. But right now I am having fun playing a free game. I may die a terrible death in a few weeks but I've put no money into this game nor do I plan to. That's the risk I accept when I play a perma-death pvp game.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Primaris posted:

If you don't want to die then alt + f4.
You keep suggesting this. Do you realize how idiotic it sounds? That is, asking people to spend quite a bit of their time playing a mmo, but then, to not play it.

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004

Jackard posted:

You keep suggesting this. Do you realize how idiotic it sounds? That is, asking people to spend quite a bit of their time playing a mmo, but then, to not play it.

Idiotic? I'm giving a suggestion to all the people crying about how unfair combat is. If you don't want to do combat in a game that has perma-death then log the gently caress off and wait until you have backup. I am allied with some of the strongest players in the game and we will be the people who are doing these parts of the mmo you are talking about. I'm not asking anyone to spend their time playing a game or doing anything in particular, I'm offering a base for someone to play a free to play sandbox MMO so that they don't have to start alone if they are interested in the new changes of a game that does have potential. You guys should seriously move on, Jackard your post history is a sum of threads where you cry about every single sandbox MMO and how it isn't perfect. If you can present one that is perfect I would love to play it. I've played Archeage and I'm excited about it but I know it isn't even perfect either. I know this about you because I'm a sandbox MMO fan and I see you hype every single one then bitch about it constantly later. Move on folks. You died in a perma-death game. When I die I will be pissed too but I accepted this as a possibility when I created my account and invested time.

Can there possibly be anything left for the jaded group of goons from the old server to cry about? If so just go ahead and get it out if you feel like you didn't get it right in the first 2 pages.

edit: After reading a bit on the forums the rumors are that they are doing an overhaul on gluttony, combat and defense. They are adding witchcraft, horses, darkness monsters and darkness bosses. More information will come later. This time around there is a group of approximately 8(?) to 10 developers working on the game as opposed to the 0.5 in the past.

Primaris fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 11, 2014

forge
Feb 26, 2006
If they don't cap the stats it's never going to be fixed.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Game sucks, don't play it. Until they cap combat stats anything they change will be irrelevant.

But please keep trying to make ~super secret power broker deals~ in this thread because it is loving hilarious.

Sacro fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 11, 2014

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004

Sacro posted:

Game sucks, don't play it. Until they cap combat stats anything they change will be irrelevant.

But please keep trying to make ~super secret power broker deals~ in this thread because it is loving hilarious.

Yes totally hilarious making an alliance with a strong playerbase. Don't know what I was thinking in a social based aspect game that's totally dependent on who you know. I'll be sure to keep you updated there somethingawful poster Sacro.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Primaris posted:

Idiotic? I'm giving a suggestion to all the people crying about how unfair combat is. If you don't want to do combat in a game that has perma-death then log the gently caress off and wait until you have backup...

The goons who played this game, including Jackard, played because they wanted "to do combat in a game that has perma-death". This game had that, but was plagued by terrible design decisions. This became obvious to those of us who tried in Beta and (or Alpha) and got to witness the game play actually degenerate by developer design.

Criticizing people for not wanting a good perma-death based combat game is silly. That's the whole attraction of the game (the "crafting game" aspect was a marketting slogan from Paradox, and nothing more). The fact there's nothing else out there is why I'm bitter that Salem turned out to be a turd.

If it works for you, great.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Primaris posted:

Idiotic? I'm giving a suggestion to all the people crying about how unfair combat is. If you don't want to do combat in a game that has perma-death then log the gently caress off and wait until you have backup. I am allied with some of the strongest players in the game and we will be the people who are doing these parts of the mmo you are talking about. I'm not asking anyone to spend their time playing a game or doing anything in particular, I'm offering a base for someone to play a free to play sandbox MMO so that they don't have to start alone if they are interested in the new changes of a game that does have potential. You guys should seriously move on, Jackard your post history is a sum of threads where you cry about every single sandbox MMO and how it isn't perfect. If you can present one that is perfect I would love to play it. I've played Archeage and I'm excited about it but I know it isn't even perfect either. I know this about you because I'm a sandbox MMO fan and I see you hype every single one then bitch about it constantly later. Move on folks. You died in a perma-death game. When I die I will be pissed too but I accepted this as a possibility when I created my account and invested time.

Primaris posted:

Yes totally hilarious making an alliance with a strong playerbase. Don't know what I was thinking in a social based aspect game that's totally dependent on who you know. I'll be sure to keep you updated there somethingawful poster Sacro.
Wow, sensing some hostility... and you seem to have a history with the posters here, but I don't know you at all.

Did you remember to post an introduction thread?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

e: Quote is not edit, my friends!

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004

Maneck posted:

The goons who played this game, including Jackard, played because they wanted "to do combat in a game that has perma-death". This game had that, but was plagued by terrible design decisions. This became obvious to those of us who tried in Beta and (or Alpha) and got to witness the game play actually degenerate by developer design.

Criticizing people for not wanting a good perma-death based combat game is silly. That's the whole attraction of the game (the "crafting game" aspect was a marketting slogan from Paradox, and nothing more). The fact there's nothing else out there is why I'm bitter that Salem turned out to be a turd.

If it works for you, great.

Thank you, I appreciate an actual constructive post. Like I said I understand the frustration some of you had but there is new developers and I think Jackard and the rest have made it painfully clear in their multiple postings here how badly they were upset by this game. Can we move on and make it so anyone wanting to try the game isn't afraid to post because of the crazy amount of hatred some of you seem to be displaying?

Jackard posted:

Wow, sensing some hostility... and you seem to have a history with the posters here, but I don't know you at all.

Did you remember to post an introduction thread?

I rarely have many interactions with goons in core groups and I don't know any of the posters here personally that I know of. But I do read a lot of the threads and I see the same names and the same type of posts. Particularly yours.

Primaris fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 11, 2014

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Just reading over this, the only one who seems to be getting crazy upset is you, Primaris. Jackard and the old crew just seem to be mostly sharing hilarious stories and ribbing you about your decision to ally with a drop out libertard.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Primaris posted:

We have a big group of people that could, in theory, get naked en masse and rub themselves with feces. That doesn't make it a good idea. Playing Salem is the same kind of idea.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Just reading over this, the only one who seems to be getting crazy upset is you, Primaris. Jackard and the old crew just seem to be mostly sharing hilarious stories and ribbing you about your decision to ally with a drop out libertard.

Why am I not suprised Darworth is still playing this terrible game?

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Primaris posted:

I'm offering a base for someone to play a free to play sandbox MMO so that they don't have to start alone if they are interested in the new changes of a game that does have potential.

Maybe if the OP mentioned some of these new changes, and maybe if you didn't seem to take it all so personally, the tone might change a bit in this thread.

Yeah, jaded and for good reason. H&H came pretty close to being a good game, but backed away quickly. Salem, from what I understand, went even farther backwards with whiplash inducing speed. So, without any evidence of the past mistakes being rectified anything touched by Seatribe is going to attract a lot of negativity.

The worst offense was the devs not listening to the guys that had been there from the start (some of them in this very thread). People that knew the game in many ways better than Jorb and Loftar. New devs may be a start, but until proven otherwise the status quo here is eXXXtreme doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primaris
Feb 15, 2004
Okay no problem! We've made it to 3 goons now who joined in, that plus my 2 coworkers is really about all I wanted in a town. Closing thread.

• Locked thread