Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
The first two times I got tattoos the apprentice who booked my appointments for me (at the shop) gave me a receipt that had the date/time as well as the general concept of the artwork written on it.

The first time he spelled "Sugar" as "Suger" and the second time he spelled "rabbit" as "rabit".

So it's not just the dumb customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

taiyoko posted:

Terrible handwriting aside, at least they spelled "angels" right. :shobon:

I'm pretty sure they didn't on the first pass :(

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

That kerning :stare:

I guess sometimes it 's better not to stick to the stencil.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
From Facebook:

This was the "best shot she could get" but ya know, looks REALLY good in person.

Also it was done in a motel room by a drug dealer.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
More or less every GIS of "blood and honor tattoo" is of completely unambiguous neo-nazis so ... if you were ALREADY mildly suspicious (how does that even happen?) I think you can call it :ms:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Dr. Jamming posted:

Could someone explain what's wrong with this one? Seems nice enough, but I may not have looked as closely as I should have.

When you draw flowers do you also put heavy, amorphous black shading around them for no reason? (it looks especially stupid/nonsensical at the top)

Also the lines, composition, and shading are all bad.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Hopefully they didn't get their 8 ball tattoo from a scratcher.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Esroc posted:

It's obvious the second one is a copy by a less talented artist. Look at the lines around the nose hole and the way strands of hair fall differently.

I don't know about your experience, but the white ink my tattoos always fades to bright yellow after a year or so.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

BhindiBhaji Boogie posted:

I was playing guitar and jamming along to the 2nd David Lee Roth solo album Skyscraper when it occurred to me that there had to be at least one person with a DLR tattoo. I wasn't disappointed.

I'm so glad that these look exactly like what I had in my head for "DLR tattoo" :krad:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Mixing three different typefaces is a horrible mistake.

That poo poo is amateur hour.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
The BRENDA backpiece has been circulating for so long that my desire for it to be real trumps any evidence to the contrary.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I think the creepiest thing about it is the red "M" and "e.", making it kind of read "Mother's never die inside Me."

Or I could just be really loving tired.

That's exactly how I read it too. Either way I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Snowy posted:

I think I'd be ok with these Wire tattoos

Got dat WMD

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Picnic Princess posted:

There's really no deliberately obtuse interpretation of this one.

"Thuuder Only Happens Wlen its Raisinl" indeed.

I'm upset by this one because I really love Fleetwood Mac -and- funny rear end tattoos, so this is a massive squandered opportunity.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

I'm going to go ahead and give this one a free pass

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
That pot leaf has a Confederate flag in it, doesn't it.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
A lot of artists and designers don't see words as anything other than shapes that are filling a space so never leave it up to them to proof anything. It's not that they're stupid, it's just that spelling and grammar are the last things they're worried about.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Psychobabble! posted:

I have a banner with text on one of my tattoos and before we made it into a stencil he had me check it too. I must have stared at those 4 words for a solid minute making sure it was correct.

Yeah I did the same thing with the 1 word I have on me. It's only 5 letters and I even Googled it to make sure because after staring at it for long enough and second guessing myself it stopped looking like a real word that I've known how to spell my whole life.

DorkusMalorkus posted:

Well you probably shouldn't be in a business that puts words permanently on people's bodies if you can't spell correctly or at least use a dictionary and/or an internet search engine.

I don't disagree, I just mean the burden is on the person getting tattooed, not that artist (assuming they're using a stencil). I've made plenty of typos putting together promotional marketing materials for my company because I'm more concerned with the way the words look and the layout of the piece than the actual content. But that's why we have copywriters/proofreaders.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

FTFY

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Bippie Mishap posted:

A high school friend who is a cop. He's so proud of it.

Two things I find incredibly funny here:

1. Imagine this guy describing, to the fine detail, exactly what he wants to the tattoo artist.

2. The irony of the quote in context of the subject matter (it translates to "brothers above all else" from what I can tell from a quick Google search)

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
The only good :lost: tattoo

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Solice Kirsk posted:

But then the lion would be facing the wrong way.

Maybe not - like how flags/logos get flipped depending on what side of the garment they're on (eg a football jersey will sometimes have the brand logo one way on the left sleeve and mirrored on the right). Best example I can find is:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My coworker's wife got her two kid's names tattooed on the inside of either wrist. She just had a third kid but doesn't plan on getting his name inked on because (I'm guessing) it would break the symmetry/where would she put it.

Seems a little unfair to me. I suggested her ankle since the kid's name is CHASE. :downsrim:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Guys he hasn't gotten it shaded yet, give him a break.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

TunaSpleen posted:

A friend of mine got the Rebel Alliance symbol on her wrist, and is planning an Empire symbol on the other one. Hopefully she'll go to a different artist who won't freehand that poo poo.

I've noticed this a lot with SW tattoos (getting both Rebel and Alliance) and I don't really get it. I'm trying to think of another instance where you'd get two opposing factions and can't.

Yankees & Red Sox?
Horde & Alliance?
Republican Elephant & Democrat Donkey?

Actually I'm sure you can find an instance of all of those.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I assume it's the same no matter what field you're in. I work in IT and constantly have to work with other IT "professionals" that know less about computers in general than my mom.

My girlfriend just got a really bad tattoo from her best friend who just finished his apprenticeship at a local shop. Will be posting as soon as I can sneak a pic (she's aware of this thread so I have to be careful) :p

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Here's some proof that even if you go to the best shop in the area (Philly) and choose an amazing artist you probably still shouldn't get an all-text tattoo.

Took me a solid 5 minutes to figure out "past", even seeing it in context.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I have 6 tattoos and all of them are Postal Service lyrics in Bleeding Cowboy typeface. Ask me about living in the South.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

MrSmokes posted:

2:25 where the chick shakes her rear end to make the butterfly tattoo flap its wings is the best one.

Yeah that was pretty amazing.

Was that a Tim & Eric chippy tattoo in there or am I going crazy? Sorry if they said it I watched with my sound off.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Huh, upside down tattoos somewhere other than the wrist/forearm. I don't even know ...

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Bombadilillo posted:

You see your hands fingers a lot too. It not mysterious.

Not saying this is you, but every upside down tattoo there's some goon who can't handle that someone would get a tattoo for themselves to look at and not others.

No I get the wrist/forearm thing. It makes sense even though it's stupid. I've just never seen it anywhere else but below the elbow before.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
For me it's the eyes that are the giveaway that they're not the same. They're completely different shapes.

That said, I'm pretty sure the last time this came up someone had a link that DID prove it was the same tattoo somehow. Like a full body shot of the guy in both pictures or something ... but I can't find it. I also may just be remembering wrong.

e: I remember, it was the mole on the dude's arm (in the hair on the left) that was cited as evidence ... which is pretty compelling.

fullroundaction has a new favorite as of 03:36 on Apr 24, 2015

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Wash yourself and make yourself food. Obviously something a goon wouldn't understand the significance of.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

HappyKitty posted:

This tattoo is a goddamn national treasure and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Possibly the best tattoo in either thread.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

LingcodKilla posted:

In memory of Brother? Something doesn't sit right with this.

Yeah everything is so shopped in that picture the tattoos look fake too. Some of them are literally flash with placeholder text... that no one replaced.

Genuinely surprised that he was able to find an artist that was able to combine all of his stupid ideas so cohesively.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

cyberia posted:

Look no further

This is a very good post, thank you.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Okami gettin hit in the head with a green frisbee?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I'm not sure the artist has seen an M or R before.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

I ... I think I love this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Scratch Monkey posted:

She's dedicated to this idea, I give her that

I'm 90% certain the I heart Africa part is in the Disney font too, which is pure :psyduck:

E: vvv woops, phone postin vvv

fullroundaction has a new favorite as of 01:41 on Jul 28, 2015

• Locked thread