Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah I had a co-worker get a huge 'diabetic' on her arm and every time I saw it I laughed inside because the EMT's are definitely not going to pay attention to that. No pics unfortunately because they don't allow cameras, or phones, at work due to data security rules with our clients.

Is it surrounded by other tattoos or fat or something? Every adult type 1 diabetic I know (including myself) has abandoned the bracelets for a tattoo on the wrist/forearm, medics are trained to look for the caduceus or rod of asclepius so they should notice it whether it's a tat or a metal dog tag. There is an unspoken rule that you don't get any other tattoos anywhere near the medical one so that it stands out though.

The three doctors in my family agreed that if you're unconscious (the only useful situation for these markings) you're going to be getting an IV at some point so the inside of the wrist/forearm will definitely get noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

My friend's gf just got... this...

He's loving annoyed as hell.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

cyberia posted:

I hate being that guy but it just looks like a tattoo? It's mediocre but it's not aggressively bad. Is there some giant flaw I'm missing or is your friend just an rear end in a top hat who doesn't like tattoos?

Nah, he has a couple and was excited for her to get it. Then he saw it and found out she chose her artist because he was a friend of her mom. Him and I also dont really like color in tattoos, but that's our poo poo, and not really the problem. It's certainly not the worst tattoo in the thread but the lines are no bueno and it's just enough off-center that it looks weird, especially in person. Also that perspective is pretty bad, especially the center of the flower.

He also thought it was weird to get a giant lotus for her first tattoo when she has no particular affinity for them.

I also hate the color choice, but that's just me about any big patches of yellow on white skin look like bruises imo.

Samfucius has a new favorite as of 02:53 on Feb 11, 2015

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

1redflag posted:

I hate to make this comment,* but she looks a reeeeeaaaal classy kind of chick.

*not really, I'm judgmental as hell

She's generally pretty okay, though she's weirdly racist in some subtle ways for a tumblrite.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

cyberia posted:

Unless you're the guy from Memento there's no reason to get a date stamped on your body permanently. Like, this date is so loving memorable to me for whatever reason but I need it etched into my skin in case I forget it. It's just so basic. I have the same issue with people who get their own surnames tattooed on their arms in 300-pt font or get lists of their children / siblings / parents names; it seems like such a trite, meaningless gesture to me.

When I was a straightedge nerd in HS declared with authority at my lunch table that a memorial tattoo was the tackiest way to remember somebody and that if someone got one of me I would haunt their rear end. My friends called me a loving dick.

Years later I have softened on many of my teenage convictions, but that one I still believe, I just don't say it.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Esroc posted:

It's even worse when you try to convince a memorial date/name customer to instead get an artistic image inspired by the person rather than just boring text. Nine times out of ten the answer to this is "I don't want to pay that much."

Well then you obviously don't care about it as much as you want people to think you do. :colbert:

It should be mentioned that the people I knew wanting memorial tattoos wanted the name, date, and portrait on a high-schooler's budget.

Jesus Christ.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Last night I had a really vivid dream about having a bunch more tattoos. In the dream I loving loved them. When I woke up I was really excited to tell my girlfriend about these amazing tattoo ideas my subconscious came up with. I started explaining them to her, and quickly realized they were all really stupid and bad.

Anyways I think I experienced the whole cycle of getting a regretful drunk tattoo in the least destructive way possible.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

This Alice in Wonderland piece reminded me of my old roommate's girlfriend. One day she walked into the living room wearing a sports bra and proudly showed this off:

(Big as hell and right on the ribcage)

Can't find a good picture of her other tattoos, a purple and green rabbit on her shoulder that looks like a bruise and a clip-art rose outline.

Edit:
Look at those bats. Fuckin' look at 'em.

This owns. Hard.

Samfucius has a new favorite as of 10:23 on Feb 24, 2015

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I have an upside down forearm tattoo, and I like it just fine, because there is nothing else on that arm to contrast with it. It is on the inside too, so no one ever needs to care.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Bored posted:

This one always cracks me up:

I didn't know China, IL did a crossover episode with God of War

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

ricketyvickyt posted:

The 'Tattoo Drop' Facebook page really baffles me. There are a few excellent pieces that get no love and then there are ones like this that people of fapping over:

It's supposed to be Ed Sheeran yet is a dead ringer for the boy who plays Peta(sp?) in The Hunger Games films.

🤔🤔🤔

Okay this is out of nowhere but if you wanna see what Peta did with his hunger games money go watch Detention. You'll either love it or hate it, there is no in-between. It proved the guy has a great sense of humor, though.

Okay on topic a Starclaw tattoo would be tasteless as hell but I kinda want one.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

trapped mouse posted:

Detention is an incredible movie. No longer on Netflix, unfortunately, but I have to go out and find the DVD, because it is...let's call it a wild ride.

It is on Smartflix though

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Ah yes, the kind of tattoo that not only looks bad, but is also completely useless as paramedics and nurses are instructed to ignore that kind of thing.

I always thought this was a bit weird. Like, I understand covering EMTs' asses if someone is covered in tattoos and they miss a medic alert thing, but if the tattoo is big and bold and the only one on the body, I have a really hard time imagining some EMT seeing such a specific thing (like "Type 1 Diabetic") and not assuming they're telling the truth. Like, maybe in the paperwork they won't admit it for legal reasons, but they still might throw some glucagon or something the patients way a bit earlier than otherwise, and at that point the tattoo has served its purpose.

Edit: tattoo still ugly

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

RikkiTikkiTavi posted:

I was curious and looked it up and it seems like part of the problem is EMTs aren't trained to look for tattoos, and also there is no standardized location for them to check, so it's easy for them to miss. The other thing that was pointed out was that a wallet card can be updated with up to date data, in a way a tattoo can't. (Admittedly that's less of an issue with diabetes)

If I understand correctly though there is a standard place: wrists, ankles, and necks are all checked quickly for medic-alert bracelets or necklaces. I do a lot of work at a diabetes camp and pretty much every adult under 30 has a tattoo with the medic-alert symbol in one of those places. Most people go for the wrist because if they are gonna do an IV they have to look at the inner arm anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Funhilde posted:

Well the first tattoo in her portfolio is not exactly tasteful but thanks for explaining this thread to me.

I thought this was a Dark Souls 2 tattoo for a second and that was bad. Then I realized what it was and it got worse.

• Locked thread