Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Um... how do I start a new game? Also, is the auto-aim less annoying with k&m than with controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
^^^^^^http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/169121/transistor-restarting-the-game-i-dont-see-an-optoin

Drewjitsu posted:

There's a list of names which have been targeted by the Camerata. All of the other names are known characters. You also see the same name on a poster at the start of the game wearing a similar style of clothing, with their name on the poster as well.

It is a mystery, but one that gets explained eventually.

Do you mean the list that Royce made in one of the OVCs towards the end of the game? I don't recall Victor being one of them. I don't believe he was ever a planned target so it wouldn't make sense for his name to be on that list. If you meant another list, which one specifically is it?

As for the poster, where is it?

Also, Google is turning up sweet nothing. If this was something discoverable in game, it seems like someone, somewhere, should've talked about it by now.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
It goes without saying that the music in this game is sublime. Stained Glass and Interlace especially. The soundtrack is back on spotify. :toot:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Drewjitsu posted:

There's a list of names which have been targeted by the Camerata. All of the other names are known characters. You also see the same name on a poster at the start of the game wearing a similar style of clothing, with their name on the poster as well.

Breach was never one of the Camerata's targets--the fact that he was with Red when the Camerata attacked her is the entire reason their plan went awry. It's also clear he was bit of a bum drifting around the outskirts of society with very little going on for him other than Red, so it's highly unlikely he would be on any posters and even less likely the Camerata would have had any interest in him.

Sardonik posted:

It goes without saying that the music in this game is sublime. Stained Glass and Interlace especially. The soundtrack is back on spotify. :toot:

It's kind of a shame that you don't get all of the variations on the tracks in the OST. I mean if we're being honest I probably wouldn't really want to pull up the soundtrack and listen to every track twice with extra humming, but it'd be nice to have those versions, not to mention some of the alternate Process tracks (like the version of In Circles that plays during the Sybil fight).

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 2, 2014

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Opposing Farce posted:

It's kind of a shame that you don't get all of the variations on the tracks in the OST. I mean if we're being honest I probably wouldn't really want to pull up the soundtrack and listen to every track twice with extra humming, but it'd be nice to have those versions, not to mention some of the alternate Process tracks (like the version of In Circles that plays during the Sybil fight).

http://breached.stevenla.com/

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

jkyuusai posted:

^^^^^^http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/169121/transistor-restarting-the-game-i-dont-see-an-optoin

Do you mean the list that Royce made in one of the OVCs towards the end of the game? I don't recall Victor being one of them. I don't believe he was ever a planned target so it wouldn't make sense for his name to be on that list. If you meant another list, which one specifically is it?

As for the poster, where is it?

Also, Google is turning up sweet nothing. If this was something discoverable in game, it seems like someone, somewhere, should've talked about it by now.

Before you see Red's Giant Poster, there's a terminal South, sort of hidden off the path. You should see a poster of Victor (in blue) with an OVC terminal right there. I didn't realize who victor was until playing it the second time with the list of targets off of the OVC terminal near the end of the game.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I think I know which poster you're talking about -- isn't the guy on the poster pretty tall and "aristocratic"? It looked more like Royce than anyone to me. v:shobon:v

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, that poster is there, and it may well be a picture showing a guy named Victor who was another one of the Camerata's targets and doesn't appear as a function, but I'm pretty confident that dude isn't Mr. Nobody. As I recall the terminal there is an invitation to Fashion Week from Sybil, so I just took that poster as an example of Cloudbank fashion.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Red's boyfriend wouldn't be on the list of Camerata targets. That's certain. He was a nobody who hadn't even chosen a Selection. They were targeting public figures.

His name isn't Victor. Stop trying to make that catch on.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

1. That guy doesn't look anything like Mr. Nobody in either clothing style or face/body.
2. There's no reason for Mr. Nobody to be on a poster. He's a nobody.
3. The name on that poster is not Victor in any case. It is EQø©NY.
4. The presence of a name on the Camerata target list is strong evidence against that name belonging to Mr. Nobody, because the Camerata were explicitly not targeting Mr. Nobody.
5. The name "Victor" does not appear on the Camerata target list in any case.
6. Nor, for that matter, does "Eqø©ny".
7. You're so full of poo poo.

Iny fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 3, 2014

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Iny posted:

1. That guy doesn't look anything like Mr. Nobody in either clothing style or face/body.
2. There's no reason for Mr. Nobody to be on a poster. He's a nobody.
3. The name on that poster is not Victor in any case. It is EQø©NY.
4. The presence of a name on the Camerata target list is strong evidence against that name belonging to Mr. Nobody, because the Camerata were explicitly not targeting Mr. Nobody.
5. The name "Victor" does not appear on the Camerata target list in any case.
6. Nor, for that matter, does "Eqø©ny".
7. You're so full of poo poo.

Welp. I stand corrected. I though it made sense to me. v0v

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Opposing Farce posted:

Yeah, that poster is there, and it may well be a picture showing a guy named Victor who was another one of the Camerata's targets and doesn't appear as a function, but I'm pretty confident that dude isn't Mr. Nobody. As I recall the terminal there is an invitation to Fashion Week from Sybil, so I just took that poster as an example of Cloudbank fashion.

The guy on the poster is for Fashion week. Its the fashion desginer thats on the poster, not blue guy

The fashion designer who is a function you get later on

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Has anyone had an issue with the game freezing whenever you enter an 'inspect' type screen, or the level up screen? This game is pretty great, I'm about halfway through and it just started happening. Killing my game.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Has anyone had an issue with the game freezing whenever you enter an 'inspect' type screen, or the level up screen? This game is pretty great, I'm about halfway through and it just started happening. Killing my game.
I think I had this happen once, not sure what caused it. I was deeply saddened that there is no achievement for killing the game's process in task manager. :(

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

So I liked the art style, music, and really enjoyed the game's mechanics, but the story and ending struck me as really problematic. I don't want to come off as a SJW bombthrower but does it bother anyone else that the two antagonists that caused things to spiral out of control were both gay? Royce seems like he would have been fine just studying the Transistor but Grant wanted to start mucking with it. Sybil screwed up Red's assassination and sucked Mr. Boyfriend in instead because she allowed herself be influenced by her homosexual impulses. It would be a huge leap to accuse Supergiant of being intentionally homophobic but it's still not exactly a great subtext.

On the ending, I really liked Red as a character and thought she had a lot of agency throughout the story but the ending robbed her of any of it and then had her kill herself. Either everyone is dead and nothing that Red did mattered or she just can't go on living anymore with out her man :qq: and I'm not sure which I hate more.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Iron Twinkie posted:

So I liked the art style, music, and really enjoyed the game's mechanics, but the story and ending struck me as really problematic. I don't want to come off as a SJW bombthrower but does it bother anyone else that the two antagonists that caused things to spiral out of control were both gay? Royce seems like he would have been fine just studying the Transistor but Grant wanted to start mucking with it. Sybil screwed up Red's assassination and sucked Mr. Boyfriend in instead because she allowed herself be influenced by her homosexual impulses. It would be a huge leap to accuse Supergiant of being intentionally homophobic but it's still not exactly a great subtext.

On the ending, I really liked Red as a character and thought she had a lot of agency throughout the story but the ending robbed her of any of it and then had her kill herself. Either everyone is dead and nothing that Red did mattered or she just can't go on living anymore with out her man :qq: and I'm not sure which I hate more.

What the hell are you talking about.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Iron Twinkie posted:

So I liked the art style, music, and really enjoyed the game's mechanics, but the story and ending struck me as really problematic. I don't want to come off as a SJW bombthrower but

You're going full pants on head tumblr there. The whole story was one entriely about agency and the loss/gain of it. Red lost agency through their attempts to enslave her with the Transistor, and then regained it through her own machinations -- she never intended to live, she always intended to murder the Camerata and then be on her way. It also deals with Blue's loss of agency. He spends the entire game a tool for Red, and no amount of begging he does at the end stops her from doing what she always intended and ending her own life. Hell, it's shown that Red is in control and Blue has no choice in the very first scene; Red turns left. The final fight was a struggle for absolute agency over the world against Royce. Grant made a choice of agency by taking his own life instead of being processed, which Red was enraged enough to call them cowards for doing so. The fact that Sybil's obsession for Red helped cause this mess should have NOTHING to do with the fact she's a woman as well. The point is obsession and control -- those two values are what defined the story. Sybil was obsessed with Red. The Camerata was obsessed with control. The city was obsessed with its method of control through voting, and choosing professions. Blue was obsessed with Red. The ending didn't rob Red of agency, it showed her using it to do what SHE wanted. She wanted to kill the Camerata, and she wanted to die, and she did so, no matter what Royce said or Blue begged.

Otcho
May 4, 2012

Black August posted:

You're going full pants on head tumblr there. The whole story was one entriely about agency and the loss/gain of it. Red lost agency through their attempts to enslave her with the Transistor, and then regained it through her own machinations -- she never intended to live, she always intended to murder the Camerata and then be on her way. It also deal's with Blue's loss of agency. He spends the entire game a tool for Red, and no amount of begging he does at the end stops her from doing what she always intended and ending her own life. Hell, it's shown that Red is in control and Blue has no choice in the very first scene; Red turns left. The final fight was a struggle for absolute agency over the world against Royce. Grant made a choice of agency by taking his own life instead of being processed, which Red was enraged enough to call them cowards for doing so. The fact that Sybil's obsession for Red helped cause this mess should have NOTHING to do with the fact she's a woman as well. The point is obsession and control -- those two values are what defined the story. Sybil was obsessed with Red. The Camerata was obsessed with control. The city was obsessed with its method of control through voting, and choosing professions. Blue was obsessed with Red. The ending didn't rob Red of agency, it showed her using it to do what SHE wanted. She wanted to kill the Camerata, and she wanted to die, and she did so, no matter what Royce said or Blue begged.

Thanks for turning this weird derail into a nice analysis!

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Iron Twinkie posted:

I'm surprised, because to me the fact that all the Camerata had their own stuff going on actually humanized them. Sybil fell in love with Red's music and that's why Red survives. Asher kills himself because he can't bear to be without Grant, which parallel's Red's story. That being said, it's easy to miss that all of the gay characters are evil. Which is kinda weird.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt for not having subconscious anti-gay biases, though, if only because in a game with only 4 speaking roles, 3 of them are antagonists, and 2 of those are gay. Most people wouldn't be surprised to be playing a game with no gay characters. It was pretty played down for the most part anyway.

The ending is strange. I don't think it's supposed to be exactly positive, but, hey, Red and Blue end up together. Which is what she wanted from the start.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Tin Hat posted:

I'm surprised, because to me the fact that all the Camerata had their own stuff going on actually humanized them. Sybil fell in love with Red's music and that's why Red survives. Asher kills himself because he can't bear to be without Grant, which parallel's Red's story. That being said, it's easy to miss that all of the gay characters are evil. Which is kinda weird.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt for not having subconscious anti-gay biases, though, if only because in a game with only 4 speaking roles, 3 of them are antagonists, and 2 of those are gay. Most people wouldn't be surprised to be playing a game with no gay characters. It was pretty played down for the most part anyway.

The ending is strange. I don't think it's supposed to be exactly positive, but, hey, Red and Blue end up together. Which is what she wanted from the start.

You are making an absolute disservice of an assumption by saying that the Camerata are evil. They're people. What they were trying to do had its own merits, despite questionable ethics and methods -- there are no solid heroes or villains in this story, and I'd even argue for Red being the 'bad guy' or antagonist with her suicidal rage and desire to destroy, kill the Camerata, and then end her own life. They were wrong for ending people's lives (and agency) by enslaving them with the Transistor, but they were trapped in a system that had no alternatives, and went too far in the other direction, and let their own obsessions and feelings and lack of knowledge start the apocalypse. But saying 'well the gay people are evil' is just bending narrative way too much.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Black August posted:

You are making an absolute disservice of an assumption by saying that the Camerata are evil. They're people. What they were trying to do had its own merits, despite questionable ethics and methods -- there are no solid heroes or villains in this story, and I'd even argue for Red being the 'bad guy' or antagonist with her suicidal rage and desire to destroy, kill the Camerata, and then end her own life. They were wrong for ending people's lives (and agency) by enslaving them with the Transistor, but they were trapped in a system that had no alternatives, and went too far in the other direction, and let their own obsessions and feelings and lack of knowledge start the apocalypse. But saying 'well the gay people are evil' is just bending narrative way too much.

Yeah I made a mistake, I meant to say "antagonist" instead of "evil"; I replaced it elsewhere but I forgot to do it earlier in the post. No, I do not believe that all the gays in this game are evil. I don't really think this game is homophobic at all.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, a suicide pact isn't quite the same thing when everything and everyone else in the world is gone for good, and your method of "death" isn't actually death just moving somewhere else where there is at least one person, namely the person you were closest to previously. It's not much of a stretch at all, and is more an act of pragmatism than an act of desperation.

As to the gay characters, I see where you're coming from, but I think it's not particularly harmful in this context. The game is chock-full of diversity and stereotype-breaking. One of the incidental characters you read about is listed as having a gender of X, but you wouldn't know it just from reading about their work. That's part of a pattern: Supergiant are depicting a world where gender and sexual orientation don't entirely define your role in the story. Good fiction doesn't usually get to do that, because in a realistic setting, ignoring the impact of discrimination is kind of dishonest. I think it's good to have both approaches to social issues in fiction.

Furthermore, the Camerata aren't classic antagonists -- they're people who made a mistake, and Red isn't out to get revenge on them, just to find out if they know anything that could help. Sibyl's crush on Red isn't depicted as a moral failing, it's depicted as understandable but tragic, and it wouldn't have been harmful if she hadn't tried to mix it with her role in the conspiracy. Asher and Grant's relationship is one of their better qualities; they're loyal to each other even if they're dismissive of the rest of the world.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 3, 2014

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

To reiterate, I don't think the writers at Supergiant were trying to tell a tale of the hidden dangers of the gay agenda or the futility of letting women have power. I honestly think Supergiant had their hearts in the right place with what they were trying to do with Red and the Camerata. I really do. They do deserve credit for having a a more minorities in their cast. But unfortunately if your telling a nihilistic story with those characters its going to carry more baggage with it.

Would I have hated the suicide ending if it had been a male protagonist? Yeah probably. The idea that everything you've accomplished or will try to accomplish is for nothing and the only way out of your hopelessness is to kill yourself is pretty loving stupid to me. But building up a female protagonist, when there are so few of those anyway, and have it end where everything she tried to do with the power she took was for nothing and then she offs herself because because she can't live without her boyfriend adds another layer to it.

I agree that the gay issue are most likely an issue the size of the cast. But still, having 3 gay characters and all of them are the bad guys is still pretty problematic.

Also, the Camerata we're assassinating people and trapping their souls forever in a weird space sword they didn't really understand. That's pretty loving evil.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Iron Twinkie posted:

To reiterate, I don't think the writers at Supergiant were trying to tell a tale of the hidden dangers of the gay agenda or the futility of letting women have power. I honestly think Supergiant had their hearts in the right place with what they were trying to do with Red and the Camerata. I really do. They do deserve credit for having a a more minorities in their cast. But unfortunately if your telling a nihilistic story with those characters its going to carry more baggage with it.

Would I have hated the suicide ending if it had been a male protagonist? Yeah probably. The idea that everything you've accomplished or will try to accomplish is for nothing and the only way out of your hopelessness is to kill yourself is pretty loving stupid to me. But building up a female protagonist, when there are so few of those anyway, and have it end where everything she tried to do with the power she took was for nothing and then she offs herself because because she can't live without her boyfriend adds another layer to it.

I agree that the gay issue are most likely an issue the size of the cast. But still, having 3 gay characters and all of them are the bad guys is still pretty problematic.

Also, the Camerata we're assassinating people and trapping their souls forever in a weird space sword they didn't really understand. That's pretty loving evil.

I'd agree with your take on the ending if the game showed that there was anyone left. Then Red would be characterized as being helpless without her boyfriend physically there. But the game demonstrates that at the end, it's just Red and a talking sword she can barely communicate with.

Which, taking it back to the agency interpretation, is what is most important about the whole thing. Red ends the game in god mode, complete and utter agency, but she gets there alone. And that agency is pointless if there isn't another person with agency to interact with. Staying in an empty city, one she could change and rebuild, but always empty, was just something she wasn't interested in.

Though this does bring up an interesting note about Red and Blue's relationship. It's true, Red relies on Blue for support, he may even be her muse and inspiration. That's fine! That's what relationships can be like! And how Red reciprocates is a little difficult to see, what with circumstances and muteness, but Blue's most desperate moments are when he thinks he's lost Red. He needs her just as much, even if over the course of the game he's putting on a brave face to help Red get through some pretty heinous poo poo.

One thing on Grant and Asher: when you find them, it says Grant has been dead 50 minutes, and Asher 15. 35 minutes of Asher likely communicating with Red? Is Grant already dead when Red gets to Hightower, and the rest is Asher doing cleanup and making apologies before he takes steps to spend an eternity in the transistor?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Iron Twinkie posted:

It sounds like your problem is more that you didn't want a nihilistic story instead of that it was portrayed wrong or badly. I understand where you're coming from but it involves a lot of cherry picking to get to that conclusion. In terms of a nihilistic story, it was very careful to avoid portraying the things you said. Red is never without agency. She makes decisions and the decisions she makes have consequences but she is never without the power to make those decisions. The problem is that they were decisions in the wake of a terrible situation and the emphasis and focus of the story is on why Red made her decisions, not that the decisions were successful.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 4, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Supergiant lost three thousand internet slacktivist points by making the antagonists a gay couple, but they gained ten million points by making Mr. Nobody a fictive headmate, and Red trans-black.

The use of meat and animal products at Junction Jan's is still cause for serious concern, but progress is always one step at a time.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 4, 2014

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

It really is baffling how somebody can come out of the ending thinking that Red killed herself after realizing she's stuck alone in this world with no power to bring it back to how it was because she ~can't live without her boyfriend~

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Red Red Blue posted:

It really is baffling how somebody can come out of the ending thinking that Red killed herself after realizing she's stuck alone in this world with no power to bring it back to how it was because she ~can't live without her boyfriend~

My feelings were that all along Red had intended to die. She saw what happened, made up her mind, decided to take that left, murder the Camerata, and then peace out. The entire game had hints to that, including a last meal and locking herself out of her apartment. She never intended to live past the end from the very start.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

There is one ray of sunshine at least in the ending. In one of the terminals, right after you visit the apartment, it lists 1,100~ relocated as a tag, the one that gives you the options of narrow or wide search, with both giving you the error message. Blue mentions people leaving for the country. This does seem to imply to me at least that some small part of Cloudbank made it out, with hopefully more making it out before the game ends. Really, Red was just joining her remaining friends on the next layer of existence at the point of the ending, same as every other survivor, she just had a more efficient, and considerably more violent way to get there. Not sure why Blue wouldn't mention seeing anybody arriving in the country though, so that's somewhat confusing. Unless the inside of the transistor is a different 'country'. Regardless, people did seem to make it out at least.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Black August posted:

My feelings were that all along Red had intended to die. She saw what happened, made up her mind, decided to take that left, murder the Camerata, and then peace out. The entire game had hints to that, including a last meal and locking herself out of her apartment. She never intended to live past the end from the very start.

I don't think it was even about killing the camerata, for her. They're just idiots who hosed everything up, revenge isn't exactly relevant. She's going after them to find out whether there's a way to fix this. She doesn't expect that there is, which is where all that "last meal" stuff comes in, but she's still pissed off and going to do something until it's 100% certain that there's nothing to do.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sardonik posted:

There is one ray of sunshine at least in the ending. In one of the terminals, right after you visit the apartment, it lists 1,100~ relocated as a tag, the one that gives you the options of narrow or wide search, with both giving you the error message. Blue mentions people leaving for the country. This does seem to imply to me at least that some small part of Cloudbank made it out, with hopefully more making it out before the game ends. Really, Red was just joining her remaining friends on the next layer of existence at the point of the ending, same as every other survivor, she just had a more efficient, and considerably more violent way to get there. Not sure why Blue wouldn't mention seeing anybody arriving in the country though, so that's somewhat confusing. Unless the inside of the transistor is a different 'country'. Regardless, people did seem to make it out at least.

The people who were being relocated reached the edge of the city, were either unable or unwilling to leave, and were killed by the process. It's made quite clear in the last transmission from Amelia Garbur. 'The Country' is just Cloudbank slang for the afterlife, probably from the Hamlet soliloquy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

loving loved this game. The number of games I've played that involve love stories told respectfully, with minimum cliche, acknowledgment for the viewer's intelligence, and a push-pull sense of mystery that doesn't require overstating everyone's feelings...can be counted on one hand. I didn't find this game sappy at all. I found it appropriately sweet with a dose of tragic.

The battle system was fun and lovely to play around with, but I only really got used to it by the time I hit new game +. The music, art design, and attention to detail are all exemplary. As a friend of mine said, "it's like a Klimt painting, only, cyberpunk." So, CyberKlimt?

I also love how it turned the misogynist trope of the refrigerated woman on its head and fridged the man instead. And I'm a man, so I'm not sure why that means a lot to me, but it does.

In fact, for all the game's flaws, I found it pretty daring from a development standpoint; $20 well spent.

edit; I can't get that song Sandbox out of my head.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

second-hand smegma posted:

edit; I can't get that song Sandbox out of my head.

For me, it's In Circles.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Paper Boats on repeat.

Also did I totally miss what "OVC" stands for in "OVC Terminal"? I was trying to remember today but I can't.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Rosalind posted:

Paper Boats on repeat.

Also did I totally miss what "OVC" stands for in "OVC Terminal"? I was trying to remember today but I can't.

I'm curious, has anyone tried translating the text in the game? Maybe find anything hidden in that apparent gibberish? (Also, I love when non-earth settings use non-English script. Its a minor thing, but its jarring to see English being written -- like the "Kill the Masters" grafitti scene this season from Game of Thrones.)

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

M.c.P posted:

One thing on Grant and Asher: when you find them, it says Grant has been dead 50 minutes, and Asher 15. 35 minutes of Asher likely communicating with Red? Is Grant already dead when Red gets to Hightower, and the rest is Asher doing cleanup and making apologies before he takes steps to spend an eternity in the transistor?

Grant was (recently) dead by the time you showed up. Asher was just barely holding it together when you first arrived at the tower, mentioning how "Grant wasn't feeling well" while trying not to cry. Grant was the architect, and when he realized his overreach had resulted in everything he'd made and everyone he'd worked in service of being destroyed he drank whatever poisonous liquid it is you see spilled out of the little vial by their bodies when you arrive. Grant went first, and when Asher realized what he'd done he followed. The notes and the invitations were just Asher killing time while he waited for the poison to do its job.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Cephalocidal posted:

Grant was (recently) dead by the time you showed up. Asher was just barely holding it together when you first arrived at the tower, mentioning how "Grant wasn't feeling well" while trying not to cry. Grant was the architect, and when he realized his overreach had resulted in everything he'd made and everyone he'd worked in service of being destroyed he drank whatever poisonous liquid it is you see spilled out of the little vial by their bodies when you arrive. Grant went first, and when Asher realized what he'd done he followed. The notes and the invitations were just Asher killing time while he waited for the poison to do its job.

Antony and Cleopatra seems to have heavily inspired the idea of Grant and Asher. The messages he sends you are his soliloquy of sorts.

Now that I think about it, there are a lot of allusions to Shakespeare's tragedies. As someone already pointed out, "country" is a euphemism for death used by Hamlet in his to or not to be soliloquy.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Hilariously, Shakespeare also uses it to mean something else entirely. :v:

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Red Red Blue posted:

One possible interpretation of the ending. Do I think that? No. I think everyone in the city/world is dead. Other people in the thread seemed to think otherwise so I thought it was a point worth discussing. Either way, the ending is still pretty bad.

M.c.P posted:

Which, taking it back to the agency interpretation, is what is most important about the whole thing. Red ends the game in god mode, complete and utter agency, but she gets there alone. And that agency is pointless if there isn't another person with agency to interact with. Staying in an empty city, one she could change and rebuild, but always empty, was just something she wasn't interested in.

ImpAtom posted:

Red is never without agency. She makes decisions and the decisions she makes have consequences but she is never without the power to make those decisions. The problem is that they were decisions in the wake of a terrible situation and the emphasis and focus of the story is on why Red made her decisions, not that the decisions were successful.

See here's where I think the disconnect is. Does a character really have agency if nothing he or she did or could ever do mattered and except killing themselves to end their miserable existence? I don't think they do. The only difference between if she decided to lay down and die at the begging versus the end was wiping out the Process which in the end didn't really change anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

So Royce saying "we're not going to get away with this" at the top of Recursion mode. It's totally just Supergiant loving with you but can anybody make it have greater significance to the story?

• Locked thread