Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

nachos posted:

The soundtrack was merely ok in game, but the OST sounds so much better on its own now that I've beaten the game. Maybe it was sword man's voice distracting me.

That's a big piece of it. I think Bastion did a better job giving you time to enjoy the soundtrack, but Transistor's soundtrack is actually pretty spectacular. In particular I have listened to "We All Become" and "Paper Boats" a ton today.

I have to say for all its faults no game has engrossed me like Transistor since playing through Gone Home on a rainy, lonely night last Autumn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Nighthand posted:

My one gripe with the game is that, way at the start, you have an instance where a road is blocked and you have two buttons to mash to open it, and you have to use Turn() to do it. Then you never have to use Turn() outside of combat again. It seems like a bit of puzzling with Turn()-based shenanigans for progress could have been interesting, but it all just ends up being "beat these guys to open door."

I get the impression that the first 30 minutes of actual gameplay were probably the earliest done and that there were meant to be more Turn() puzzles, but I assume they probably weren't all that engaging because there's not a lot of variation you can do with the idea. I'm trying to think of potential ways to use the mechanic out-of-combat beyond "press all the buttons at once" and "press several buttons fast in a particular order" but I'm drawing a blank.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

You've got a couple of referential pronouns mixed up with the exposition near the end - Royce didn't invent the Process or the Transistor. He somehow calculated his way to the latter ("It wasn't just geometry, there was a lot of math involved, a lot of math...") which presumably allowed him access to the former, which was actually a part of Cloudbank since long before any of them were alive. There's no construction industry in Cloudbank; the Process is the background...well, process, that makes everything in the city run. Royce somehow used the Transistor to manifest and fine-tune them, and was busy getting Science all over everything when Grant approached him with the Camerata's proposal. Royce was interested and lent the Transistor to Grant, to carry out the assimilation scheme, and then everything was terrible forever. I guess from Royce's perspective, if he'd been in charge of the Transistor like before, he never would've bothered trying to upload Red - Sybil basically browbeat the rest of the Camerata into approaching her with the ulterior motive of causing Blue's "accident," but that poo poo wouldn't fly with a MAN OF SCIENCE like Royce.

The Transistor battle with Royce really does feel like something Supergiant thought would be rad and kind of crowbarred into the script. The best I can come up with is that, after rebooting the Process, the Transistor basically searches its domain (that dead black area that Royce has holed up in) for a new administrator login and goes "oh, there's two people in my lobby, jolly good, please resolve your differences." It traps both their consciousnesses within itself until a resolution is met, and Red then proceeds to "resolve" Royce until he stops thinking alive thoughts.

In regards to your second paragraph, I think you're pretty right about how the it's supposed to be the two of them fighting for admin privileges. When Red puts the transistor in the cradle, she enters the transistor's world (which I guess would be the "user rights" section of a computer). There can be only one administrator, so Red kills Royce.

One thing I'm curious about is if Royce is inspired by Steve Jobs? To me, the cadence in his voice and that constant I'm-musing-about-the-future-smugly attitude is very Jobs.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Paper Boats on repeat.

Also did I totally miss what "OVC" stands for in "OVC Terminal"? I was trying to remember today but I can't.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Cephalocidal posted:

Grant was (recently) dead by the time you showed up. Asher was just barely holding it together when you first arrived at the tower, mentioning how "Grant wasn't feeling well" while trying not to cry. Grant was the architect, and when he realized his overreach had resulted in everything he'd made and everyone he'd worked in service of being destroyed he drank whatever poisonous liquid it is you see spilled out of the little vial by their bodies when you arrive. Grant went first, and when Asher realized what he'd done he followed. The notes and the invitations were just Asher killing time while he waited for the poison to do its job.

Antony and Cleopatra seems to have heavily inspired the idea of Grant and Asher. The messages he sends you are his soliloquy of sorts.

Now that I think about it, there are a lot of allusions to Shakespeare's tragedies. As someone already pointed out, "country" is a euphemism for death used by Hamlet in his to or not to be soliloquy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Sardonik posted:

Yeah I found it too, μ(), it's pretty average though.

If you install σ() in an upgrade slot, it starts to deviate from the norm pretty significantly.

• Locked thread