Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Fiend Computer posted:

Family friend shared this. She is also someone who is getting a liberal arts degree and constantly shares a lot of conservative "we should drug test people on welfare" or "we need to keep our the minimum wage low because gently caress the poor!" kind of stuff. It makes me feel really disappointed. :(
I hope she likes minimum wage, because if my liberal arts B.A. experience is any indication, she'll probably end up earning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

DemeaninDemon posted:

Hey now don't forget for-profit private schools. Free-Marketus, patron saint of loving poors, says profits will improve education.
George Orwell wrote about for-profit schools in his novel A Clergyman's Daughter. They are what you'd expect something in a George Orwell novel to be, i.e., so unsparingly grim that it becomes sort of hilarious.

eta: I started crossing my z's and 7's because that was a good way to keep from misreading them as 2's in math class, and now that I know people are annoyed by that, I have every incentive to keep doing it.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Excels posted:

Chem Trails aren't the only thing brainwashing your children...

Gluten: What The Government Doesn't Want You To Know!

Posted today on one of my Facebook friends' comments:

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Joeslop posted:

:qqsay:

I guess if a made up story inspires you, religion is probably a good fit.

quote:

Quickly, I drove to Michael's house and before he could say a word I hit him with a bottle of flower pot

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Bored posted:

Also, like, I have a repeat in the last 4 digits of my phone number, which throws goofy in there twice.
I have a three-peat, which explains why I'm shy to the point of neurosis. Is changing your number really that difficult? I want it to be all zeroes and sixes and whatever number means you get to have lunch with Jon Benjamin.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

kinmik posted:

When last we saw this image, it was in the stdh thread and stopped at the first comment, the one with the actual "story". It's metastasized since then.

This time-travel-and-madness person sounds like a real great person to hang around.
I greatly enjoy making other people uncomfortable for inconveniencing me so I am generally in favor of this.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

bean_shadow posted:

I've had people freely bitch to me about those freeloaders on government money. They backpedal when I tell them I'm on disability. "Oh, well, I didn't mean YOU. I mean those that abuse it."
Watching people backpedal is a beautiful thing. I was recently tempted to tell someone that I'd paid for Plan B contraception through my insurance (not true) when she complained about people doing that. And then go "Hmm" and look disapproving when she started backpedaling.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Christmas Present posted:

I guess the major difference comes from being in a country like the US where you're free to dress scantily or in a shapeless robe, or a country like Afghanistan or France where you're not given the option.
I know France is big on fashion, but I don't think they legally require people to wear certain types of clothing.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Sometimes OKCupid really comes through. Ellipses mine.

quote:

FIRST THING, THIS STUPID THING WONT ACCEPT ANY OF MY PHOTOS. ALSO, WHY IS EVERYONE LYING ABOUT THEIR BODY?! NOW PAST HOW MUCH THIS WEBSITES SUCKS ALREADY...

. . . now I go to school for physics, and I am working towards my degree in law. . . . I'm very intelligent, it can take me 5-10 minutes to explain what happens in my head in a few seconds. I'm also very youthful . . . I'm the type who makes a lot of jokes, sometimes when I shouldn't. And I am very confident and well aware of my abilities.

I am results oriented, ambitious and set precedents. In a local of 3,500 people, I was the only apprentice to take a journeyman night course, while i was in college on the weekends and school during the week. I had to get special permission from a bunch of people, but I got to take the class I wanted. . . .

Its hard for me to find someone that i accept on an intellectual level. I have a lot to say, I'm 85% right (dont ask my gpa, it says 75% but it includes homework. ask my practice LSAT who says 148/180. I have not taken an IQ test yet but i will one day. I am curious to see the specific questions and methods they use) I have some allergies. I cant stand it how you cant go into a store with just shorts and sandals on. I hate spelling and capitalization. but dont worry, I wont forget to correct you if you misspeak lol XD

I'm looking form someone who is smart, can take a joke, and I want to say talks a lot, but if two people who talk a lot are together, who is listening? Perhaps someone who is patient, and can talk when i am breathing lol. Also, you should know I am good with words and numbers, so not minding if I cant keep my mouth shut during a movie about how the mathematics of the physics of a situation make no sense and it makes the whole movie stupid (lol somehow the whole movie) is a huge plus. Basically, in a nutshell, if you watch "Big Bang Theory", and your like "Oh I wouldn't mind dating Sheldon", than wash your hands and talk back to me! If not, please don't touch my stuff.

I think my favorite movie ever is Pain and Gain. It is a true inspiration, and a guide to how America, and the world, really works.

On a typical Friday night I am
not being typical

The most private thing I’m willing to admit
IM sick of a few things here on the internet with you ladies...

#1- your body type description (please look up BMI index for a proper description, BE HONEST! YOU MAKE IT AWKWARD WHEN YOU LIE BECAUSE WE WILL FIND OUT ENOUGH)

#2- Do not say you "love going to the gym" if you do not. Almost every fat person has that on their profile. No, you dont, thats why your fat. Just because you started going a few weeks, or maybe even months ago, does not mean you "love" it. it means your improving yourself trying to lose wieght in order to find a mate, and when you do find a mate, your motivation is gone, and you will stop. I work out ever day, I have for more than a year, and im not putting "i love the gym", because i dont. i hate the gym. a lot. i work out for myself. I like the way i look in the mirror. you know who loves going to the gym? bodybuilders. if you dont look like a bodybuilder, dont lie and say you like going to the gym. just stop, your not fooling anyone with an ounce of reason or logic, only yourself and idiots.

#3- how would you feel if we were at a table talking, and i just walked away without saying anything? what do you do 15 minutes later? you still sitting there? what about an hour? IF WE ARE TALKING, DONT JUST STOP MESSAGING. THATS RUDE. I DONT KNOW WHO YOU THINK YOU ARE, BUT I DESERVE TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON. I dont know if you died, are busy, or just not interested. you leave ME feeling awkward, because i dont know what is going on. for some reason people think because its the internet, they dont have to have manners anymore. im willing to bet your just as rude and ignorant in real life, thats why you dont think its rude.

ALSO: YOU LOOK LIKE YOUR PIX, AND YOU HAVE MANNERS.
IF YOUR JUST GOING TO STOP MESSAGING ME ONE DAY BECAUSE THE MAGIC 8 BALL SAID "ASK AGAIN LATER", GO AWAY AND BLOCK ME.

I doubt he'll e-mail me or whatever it is people can do when they see you're been looking at their page. But if he does maybe I will tell him that his profile looks like it was professionally written to make him look like an rear end in a top hat.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Toriori posted:

Oh man, these tweets were posted in an article about War Machine and Christy Mack.
“Just raped [Christy Mack] She tried to make me wait until “after errands” As if! [sic],” War Machine said in August 2013, reported IBTimes at the time. The tweet has since been deleted.

War Machine’s tweet was, of course, met with outrage, to which he responded: “Real men rape. (Their GF’s and wives, not strangers, don’t get your panties in a bunch.)”
It's very interesting seeing what real men do when accused of something (run away, lie) and I expect it will be interesting seeing what they do when arrested (resist and get tasered into submission and beaten and severely restrained, I hope) and when they have to go to court (have a horrible long drawn-out nervous breakdown please Jesus).

I was looking through some "bad dating site messages" and was astonished and mildly horrified to learn that multiple people had received messages like these:

quote:

7 girls were killed a week and a half ago because they wouldn't give a guy a chance. Save someone else. Save yoursef. Give me a chance.

quote:

7 girls lost their lives today because they wouldn't give a guy a chance. Save your life.
I couldn't find the one that actually mentioned Elliott Rodgers. But that poo poo is hosed up. Do the guys who complain that women have an easier time on dating sites understand that some of these women are getting death threats?

trickybiscuits has a new favorite as of 09:05 on Aug 14, 2014

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Because disagreeing with somebody is violating their First Amendment rights! Don't you know? Freedom of speech means I can say whatever I want with no consequences whatsoever!
Perhaps my favorite joke: How do you infringe on a straight white man's First Amendment rights? Disagree with him!

Oh wait, we're talking about domestic abuse now? Maybe I should just go sit in a corner and stare at the wall for several hours until I feel better.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Ignimbrite posted:

Fresh off the presses! :v:

Ha ha, somebody doesn't know how language works (hint: not like that)

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Yeah, they tend to forget about the stuff the military provides for them that civilians have to pay for, especially healthcare. And dental (including orthodontia).

Them fuckin' poors, though :fsmug:
A couple months ago I was reading one of my friends, who used to be in the military, complaining about the difficulty in getting a doctor's appointment for an injury he got while serving. I felt bad for him. And then I felt worse because I had the urge to say, "Yep, welcome to civilian life, this is what it's like out here."

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Lion of the Blogosphere. I forget how I wandered into this but it's pretty run-of-the-mill believing in alpha and beta males, saying racist things "But who is the REAL racist?", IQ is tied to poverty, etc. garbage from somebody who thinks he's smart. I didn't post the address because it's not really worth seeing. But the name is amusing.

One thing I can't get over with bloggers like this is the certainty that they know how other people think and how the world works, when really it's just that they can't imagine anything other than whatever vaguely-understood theory they've gotten stuck in their heads. Awhile ago I was working in a fabric store and my boss told me about a woman who came in looking for upholstery fabric. Upholstery fabric is given a "rub count", it's literally the number of times a person can sit down on it and then stand up before the fabric wears out. This woman came in and all she could talk about was the rub count: "Well I like that but it's velvet so the rub count is probably really low. The important thing is it needs a high rub count. The rub count is very important." With people like that it's like their brains only have room for one idea, but my God, they're going to get their money's worth out of it!

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Person's post on their own page:

quote:

The horror of social media is that it lets you see what vile, sadistic, hateful sacks of poo poo human beings are, and it makes you hope this wretched species goes extinct.

I've been trying to interact more via social media to escape from the loving terrors that live in my head, and that clearly is a huge loving mistake. I'm better off as an agoraphobic shut-in huddled in the corner and drenched in tears in than trying deal with these loving assholes for one more loving minute.

gently caress this species. We clearly don't deserve to exist.

Same person, in response to comments on his post:

quote:

It's in reference to this post by [Dave], who I stupidly thought was a loving friend but was really just a professional acquaintance who associates with sadistic assholes:

[link removed]

Here's the stupid part: I 100% agreed with the article and the posts other people were making, and I was trying to achieve clarity by delineating how something comes across as harassment.

An rear end in a top hat accused me of "mansplaining."

Me.

As if I'm a Men's Rights Activist or some poo poo.

As a feminist and someone who is incredibly sensitive to issues of privilege, this really loving hurt. It made me break down in tears, because it was the most hurtful thing anyone had said to me in years.

It hurt so much I spent 3 hours writing a reply, explaining how hurtful it was and trying to be crystal clear about what I was saying, because it was clearly misunderstood by those loving morons.

Those loving assholes couldn't even be bothered to read what I wrote. It's just tl;dr and then they pull out the GamerGate playbook -- sea lioning, gaslighting, harassment, strawman arguments.

loving worthless sacks of poo poo.

It's like they're TRYING to make people hate women or something. What the gently caress is WRONG with them?

And in a thread about why harassment is wrong -- WHICH, TO BE CLEAR, I WAS 100% IN AGREEMENT WITH THE WHOLE TIME -- they apparently think it's OK to harass a mentally ill man to the point where he spends the last half-hour in the kitchen fondling the loving knives and dragging them across my skin.

These fuckers don't know what it's like when your own loving brain tries SO loving HARD TO KILL YOU EVERY DAY.

So, I won't be coming back here for a long time. No member of this species is worth one god damned second of my time anymore. No one loving DESERVES a second of my time anymore.

At least the demons in my head are loving up-front about being assholes who are trying to kill me. They don't hide behind a cowardly, hypocritical facade and try to harass someone into killing himself.

Worst part is that [Enid] posted the EXACT SAME POINT I made, and even AGREED with me when I pointed out the importance of acknowledging agency and how that helped to avoid objectification.

Do [Dave] or his other cowardly friends give HIM any poo poo? Nope! [Marc]'s a good source of income for freelance game designers!

But me? loving pile on, gently caress that Jedi Counseling rear end in a top hat, he's not important anymore.

gently caress them. gently caress all of them.

If I do end up killing myself (and no, I don't plan on it), I want all of you to look up every one of those shitbags and name them in a wrongful death suit.

They're every bit as bad as GamerGate. They're WORSE, because they're pretending to give a poo poo about other people and then they harass the mentally ill until they loving open a vein.

Just a head's up: one person told him to stop fishing for a pat on the head that he wasn't guilty of harassment.

From the thread, same person:

quote:

Echoing [Marc]'s sentiment, I hope the stories I posted don't come across as "mansplaining," either. I thought they were valid examples of compliments that wouldn't be harassing in any way (and judging from the pleasant conversations they started, I sincerely doubt they were troubling to the other person).

FWIW, I actually have received compliments from "big, bulky, scary guys" many, many times (usually for an amusing t-shirt I'm wearing), and some were even from patrons at a gay bar. Because it was just complimenting a style choice, though, it never came across as leering or made me uncomfortable, and I really hope that the few times I've done the same it was received in the same way. (That said, I completely understand that as a big, bulky guy myself, these men are inherently less scary to me.)

Now, if you just meant that people like me or Marc are as rare and awesome as unicorns, I'll take that as a compliment.

(One unrelated comment by someone else.)

Same poster:

quote:

I'm just wondering if I'm one of the "men" (plural) "trying to mansplain" or not, because it would genuinely hurt my feelings if I came across that way.

Responder:

quote:

[John], by insisting to validate whether or not you are the perpetrator of mansplaining, you are in effect attempting to mansplain.

Your initial comments were fine, but as they continue they are starting to get kind of weird and are redirecting the conversation away from the initial argument, "What qualifies as harassment" and are turning this into, "Well a genuine compliment shouldn't be harassment". And here in lies the rub, what you consider a genuine compliment is not always perceived that way. And the more you insist on how genuine it is, when the compliment is unwanted, the more it is perceived as harassment.

Let it go.

If you keep pushing, you stop being a nice guy and turn into that creepy guy who follows a woman for five blocks saying, "I like your boots".

There then followed forty-eight comments which had nothing to do with this guy or what he'd said.

Original poster:

quote:

[Jane]: "[John], by insisting to validate whether or not you are the perpetrator of mansplaining, you are in effect attempting to mansplain."

Personally, I think if you are accusing a lifelong feminist -- one who read books and wrote papers on white male priviledge 20 years ago when he was in college studying anthropology, one who has donated his time and money to organizations such as Planned Parenthood that do so much good for so many women -- of "mansplaining," maybe, just MAYBE, your definition is too broad.

The reason I wanted to know if the mansplaining comment was directed at me is because, if it was, it is literally THE MOST INSULTING THING anyone has said to me in years. (Considering that I've had pro-GG assholes come at me on Twitter recently, THAT'S REALLY SAYING SOMETHING.)

It seriously hurt my feelings and it triggered a major panic attack. Saying something so hurtful to someone that it causes a profoundly disturbing medical, psychological event in that person IS NOT OKAY. As such, it's important to try to be sensitive to other people's feelings by thinking of things from their point of view (which is PRECISELY what I was attempting to do in my posts).

"Your initial comments were fine, but as they continue they are starting to get kind of weird and are redirecting the conversation away from the initial argument, 'What qualifies as harassment' and are turning this into, 'Well a genuine compliment shouldn't be harassment'. And here in lies the rub, what you consider a genuine compliment is not always perceived that way. And the more you insist on how genuine it is, when the compliment is unwanted, the more it is perceived as harassment.
"Let it go."

No, I'm not letting this go, because what you posted here is absolutely unacceptable in a civilized discussion.

First, I >>>NEVER<<< said anything even REMOTELY similar to "Well a genuine compliment shouldn't be harassment."

Nothing I said could POSSIBLY have been construed that way. It was ALWAYS framed in terms of what DOESN'T seem to make the other person uncomfortable and WHY that might be the case. I NEVER framed it in terms of intended effect trumping ACTUAL effect, EVEN THOUGH the author herself mentioned the distinction between compliments that are genuinely being nice vs. those that are leering. The only time I brought up "being nice" was in DIRECT REFERENCE to the author's argument because I found it to be unhelpful and I wanted to IMPROVE on it.

In other words, you decided to "strawman" me.

Doing so is insulting, disrespectful, and grossly intellectually dishonest.

You should know better.

Same person, immediately after that post:

quote:

TO BE 100% CLEAR: I was, and still am, merely trying to delineate the circumstances under which a complement is harassing and/or threatening to someone vs. circumstances in which they are welcomed and appreciated. The author says there are "nice" complements and she can tell when someone is being nice, but that's not very helpful to someone who might THINK they're being nice but coming across as threatening.

So, for the sake of helping men (including me) to understand the issue, I wanted to explore the topic intellectually. Consider these examples of compliments:

Example A: You visit an old friend you haven't seen in some time. After you greet one another, you say, "What a lovely home!"

Example B: A man, three feet from a woman who is a total stranger, at 3 AM on an otherwise abandoned street, says, "Nice boobs."

Example A is a compliment that is clearly not harassment. Example B is technically also a compliment, but it clearly IS harassing, threatening, and intensely creepy.

Therefore, I wanted to delineate the factors that distinguish A from B for the sake of clarity and understanding.

And, after thinking about it, I realize it has NOTHING to do with compliments at all, because it applies to ANY social interaction -- asking for directions, small talk, etc. It's the subject and context of the social interaction that is the real issue here.

Consider the factors that distinguish A from B:

(1) How well you know the person. As someone moves along the continuum from assailant to stranger to acquaintance to friend to loving life partner, any interaction is inherently less harassing, threatening, or creepy simply because you both know and feel safe with that person.

(2) The safety of the environment. In a well-populated, well-lit area with lots of other people, any social interaction is inherently less harassing, threatening, or creepy. Presumably, everyone would know that the 3 AM on an abandoned street scenario is incredibly threatening to ANYONE, and particularly to anyone who is more physically vulnerable for reasons of size, strength, etc.

(3) The integrity of your personal space. If the person speaking to you is a good distance away (e.g. someone on the far end of a train platform asking if you know what time it is), they are inherently much less threatening than if they are within an arm's reach (e.g. creep 3 feet away in Example B). Interrupting or inconveniencing someone falls into this category as well because you're imposing on that person's time. The longer the interaction takes, the more likely it is to be inappropriate. Finally, the greater the physical disparity between the two parties, the more personal space will feel violated; as such, the larger you are compared to the other person, the more personal space you should leave between you to keep the other person from feeling uncomfortable or threatened. (I hypothesize that personal space integrity is roughly proportional to the square root of the distance between the two people x the ratio of the subject's size to the initiator's size, but that's neither here nor there.)

(4) Whether the interaction objectifies you. (This is the main point I was trying to work through before someone accused me of "mansplaining.") To me, it seems that the more separate the object of discussion is from you, the less it will be perceived as objectification and therefore the less threatening, harassing, or creepy it will be:
(4a) Someone complimenting your house or car is fine, ceteris paribus (i.e. assuming you don't violate points 1 through 3).
(4b) Someone complementing on your phone, purse, or some other carried object is usually OK, but because they are small and easy to steal, the effects of points 1 through 3 will be more pronounced.
(4c) Someone complementing an item of clothing is where you start to run into potential trouble because it's actually ON your body as opposed to being carried or a large possession such as a house or car. To me -- and this is where I really wanted to hear others' opinions on the matter -- complimenting a notable article of clothing is fine so long as you are *actually* complimenting the person's sense of style (i.e. you are acknowledging their agency) and not the body underneath it (i.e. you are objectifying their body). For example, complimenting a short skirt, a low-cut top, or tight jeans is NOT OK because they would feel like a transparent comment on the subject's legs, boobs, or butt, respectively. EVEN IF YOU DON'T MEAN IT SEXUALLY, these comments would be highly inappropriate for a stranger because they would come across as objectifying her body. At the other end of the spectrum, things like outerwear, footwear, or even hairstyle (to cite some examples I brought up earlier) are usually fine because they aren't covering sensitive body parts and they are very clear expressions of personal style. The better you know the person, the more likely they would genuinely appreciate you noticing the change (e.g. right after getting a new haircut).
(4d) Someone complimenting the body itself is clearly objectifying that person. Anyone with even the slightest sense of social norms should recognize that this will be inherently creepy when directed at a stranger or even an acquaintance. It *might* be OK for someone who is at least a friend in the right circumstances; for example, if you are catching up with a friend who you know has been working out and/or dieting, they might genuinely appreciate something like, "You look great! Have you lost weight?" Clearly, this is something so personal and sensitive that it's OK only when you KNOW it's OK, so if you have any doubt whatsoever, keep it to yourself.

In my opinion, these four factors interact with one another in a multiplicative manner; the closer any of them are to the uncomfortable end of the spectrum (a stranger, an insecure location, in very close quarters, or the closer the object of discussion is to the subject's physical body), the more likely the social interaction is to be uncomfortable for the other person.

So, to refer to one of my earlier examples, complimenting (1) a stranger (2) in a well-lit, well-populated area (3) from a safe and respectful distance without imposing on her time (4) on a choice of personal style that isn't in any way suggestive of sensitive body parts seems -- in my experience -- to have been on the "acceptable" side of the spectrum, with absolutely no hint that the other person was even the slightest bit put off by the compliment and/or question, and who in fact seemed to genuinely brighten at the compliment. If any of those factors were less favorable, however, it could very well have fallen into the uncomfortable range.

THAT'S what I was doing: Attempting to delineate what makes a compliment or any other social interaction appreciated vs. acceptable vs. awkward vs. outright harassment. I want to understand what factors go into it specifically to avoid situations where you might THINK you're doing something completely normal and non-threatening, but in fact you're making the other person uncomfortable.

The purpose was -- and always has been -- to educate and clarify to avoid misunderstandings, NOT to minimize or ignore concerns. I'd wanted to hear what others think about it so I could try to "fine tune" my understanding of the situation and be a better, more respectful person.

And for that, this lifelong feminist was accused of "mansplaining" and got to enjoy a lovely panic attack last night.

Thanks.

Same person, responding to responses to his post:

quote:

When you seriously hurt the feelings of someone with OCD with Bipolar I disorder, learn to expect a painfully detailed and possibly manic reply.

A relatively sane person:

quote:

I've been thinking about you, [John], and I feel for you. You seem like you mean well. You're getting a little wordy because you feel it's important to set the record straight. I feel like it's some of the most well meaning people who are hardest to explain this concept to, because they truly don't see what they're doing wrong. They just want to be nice, and then, when their niceness is taken the wrong way, they just want to clear the air. [John], you just have to let things go. The super wordy defensive essays are in fact what consitutes "mansplaining"... which you may want to google. It's ok to compliment a woman. It's a sliding scale depending on how well you know a person. Think of it this way, if you wouldnt say it to a man, dont say it to a woman. Done. Simple. And if you do say something and it's not well recieved, let it go.

I love the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's pretty innocuous but the person I saw share that was the same girl who shared this:

Some friends of mine shared this on Facebook, I told them that if they like that way of dressing, they should dress that way! I'd feel incredibly guilty, but they're not going to dress that way. They're going to continue wearing shorts and t-shirts because they have no idea how to wear suits, and they know it.

• Locked thread