Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I have four. But I'm a guy. What does that mean for me?

It implies an affinity with ducks. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Ratjaculation posted:

Quick science sidetrack;

I'm a biologist and despite loving physics I think I only grasp it from Cosmos and such. I get that the universe is ~13.7 billion years old, but how can something be 30 billion light years away if its impossible to go faster than light? Even if we are on the exact opposite side of the universe surely it could only be ~27 billion light years away? Is it due to the 'elastication' of the universe everyone is harping on about?

My head hurts.

If the light left that galaxy 10 billion years ago, then it was 10 billion light years away from us at the time the light left that galaxy. In the 10 billion years since that event, the point that the light originated from has been moving away from us.

• Locked thread