Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Funosaurus posted:

:iiam: God works in mysterious ways, like totally punching out some pussy-rear end aclu bleeding-fart liberal.

There were a couple of good parodies of that floating around in the DnD version of this thread.

quote:

A liberal muslim homosexual ACLU lawyer professor and abortion doctor was teaching a class on Karl Marx, known atheist

”Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Marx and accept that he was the most highly-evolved being the world has ever known, even greater than Jesus Christ!”

At this moment, a brave, patriotic, pro-life Navy SEAL champion who had served 1500 tours of duty and understood the necessity of war and fully supported all military decision made by the United States stood up and held up a rock.

”How old is this rock, pinhead?”

The arrogant professor smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied “4.6 billion years, you stupid Christian”

”Wrong. It’s been 5,000 years since God created it. If it was 4.6 billion years old and evolution, as you say, is real… then it should be an animal now”

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and copy of Origin of the Species. He stormed out of the room crying those liberal crocodile tears. The same tears liberals cry for the “poor” (who today live in such luxury that most own refrigerators) when they jealously try to claw justly earned wealth from the deserving job creators. There is no doubt that at this point our professor, DeShawn Washington, wished he had pulled himself up by his bootstraps and become more than a sophist liberal professor. He wished so much that he had a gun to shoot himself from embarrassment, but he himself had petitioned against them!

The students applauded and all registered Republican that day and accepted Jesus as their lord and savior. An eagle named “Small Government” flew into the room and perched atop the American Flag and shed a tear on the chalk. The pledge of allegiance was read several times, and God himself showed up and enacted a flat tax rate across the country.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. He died of the gay plague AIDS and was tossed into the lake of fire for all eternity.

Semper Fi.
p.s. close the borders

And my personal favorite:

quote:

"A United States Marine was attending some college courses between assignments. He had completed missions in Iraq and Afghanistan . One of the courses had a professor who was a vowed atheist and a member of the ACLU.

One day the professor shocked the class when he came in. He looked to the ceiling and flatly stated, “God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform. I’ll give you exactly 15 minutes.” The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop.

Ten minutes went by and the professor proclaimed, “Here I am God. I’m still waiting.” It got down to the last couple of minutes when the Marine got out of his chair, went up to the professor, and lifted up his arm to strike him.

At that moment the professor was transformed into a 7-foot grizzly, wreathed in a halo of holy fire. The bear spoke: “Blasphemer thou art, thou thinkst to take the place of God? Those who deny me face eternal fire, but you who knows my work and yet commits the sin of Satan I curse a hundred times over!” The Marine went back to his seat and sat there, silently picking at his boils. Then Richard Dawkins burst into the room, wielding a copy of The Selfish Gene and crying “Leave that boy alone, you pathetic atavism!” As the holy bear whirled around, terrible light flashing in its eyes, Dawkins shed his mortal form, raised each of his seven horned heads, and hissed. “It’ssss me you want!”. And then the Lord and the Antichrist joined in the final battle.

The other students were shocked and stunned and sat there looking on in silence.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Rudager posted:

As someone who's been to many a dairy farm, I just want to call you out on this bullshit. Farmers will do EVERYTHING to make the cows life as comfortable as absolutely possible for the simple fact that a comfortable cow gives more milk than a stressed cow.

Also sanitation is pretty high, again, these cows are their lively hood they want them to be healthy all the time, it's counter productive to have a non-sanitary environment for them.

You'd be surprised how often this isn't the case. I grew up on a dairy farm and it was absolutely filthy, the entire pasture maybe two acres with 50-75 head of cattle at any given time. Of course, it was a knee-high pool of mud/poo poo/piss in the summer and the cows were mastitis-ridden, miserable wrecks, all of this because my stepdad was an idiot. I knew a number of other farms in my area that were barely any better. I'm fairly sure most of them are closed now though, I drove through there several years back and the places I remembered how to get to were gone.

Of course, our farm was an exception and our milk was rated as being fit only for being powdered and used as formula for animals. Didn't stop my parents from bringing in a fresh pitcher of raw milk every morning of my childhood! I have no idea how I survived to adulthood.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

It's almost as if raw milk was not as poisonous as goons make it out to be

I was referring more to the ridiculously unsanitary conditions the milk was produced in rather than just the fact that it was raw.

As for content, sometimes I think people forget that things you like pop up in that little sidebar on the right and all of your friends can see it.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Fake Marine girl is at it again. She 'wants to be deployed' but her asvab scores were so abysmal they still refuse to put her anywhere besides the cafeteria. At the same time, she thinks women don't belong on the front lines because they are a distraction to the stronger, better, male marines, or some equally baffling poo poo. Basically she wants to make 90k a year to sit in a bunker and check her facebook.

Nice to see an actual Marine call her out on not actually making any sort of effort while wanting credit for it.

She's not going to make $90k a year deployed unless she's a staff officer at the least. That said, if she actually wanted to deploy but didn't want to be active duty she really should have joined the National Guard.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Falukorv posted:

That picture does bring me some nostalgic feelings, but more to do with that those containers are present in my birth country i have childhood memories of, while not present in my country of residence. I have no idea of their prevalence through time in America though.

My great grandparents had some in their house but, like everything in their house, they had to have bought it in the 1950s or 1960s. My grandma used an old washer with a ringer on the top and a gigantic old super-heavy vacuum cleaner until the mid-1990s when she died.

I finally had to hide someone from my feed. My dumb aunt seems to spend literally all day posting Tea Party memes, fibromyalgia memes (these exist) and then stuff like this, always with "BALM".

BALM

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

trapped mouse posted:

I would guess that a very, very small portion of mothers haven't done these two separate things.

It seems the idiots on my Facebook just discovered this meme. I expect to see it a lot in the near future :(

With bonus "I took a picture of my computer screen and uploaded that"

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I too go to worldtruth.tv for all my science news.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I don't know which is more offensive here, the stupid opinion being expressed or the artifacting.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Guilty Spork posted:

Right, Obama voters celebrating Independence Day is a totally reasonable thing to do, and it's really dumb to try to claim otherwise.

It would be one thing if she were making an anti-nationalist statement but given that about 70% of her posts are those creepy military worship memes and Army wife crap I have my doubts.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

kazil posted:

I love this argument because these conservatives/libertarians get mad at the government because their job invades their personal lives for no real reason.

Unless you are working machinery or something, why does it matter if you smoke some pot?

I got screenshots of this a while ago but never ended up posting it, but here's one idiots rationalizations for it.

tl;dr version is that anyone who spells it "marihuana" in English is an idiot with dumb opinions.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Higgy posted:

My favorite thing, besides the oversimplification of taxation as a concept, is the hammer and sickle "x" in "extorted".

I wonder how he thinks we paid for all of those things.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Aphtonites posted:

On the topic of conspiracy nuts:

He only moved to the US a few months ago :cripes:

You get some pretty crazy conspiracy people outside the US too. I didn't screen cap it because I didn't feel like translating but I saw a guy in a French language public group post a big crazy rant about how regionalist and separatist movements in Europe, specifically in Scotland, Catalonia, Alsace, the Basque Country and Brittany were created whole cloth and funded by the US, Germany and the European Union to weaken the idea of traditional European nation-states to pave the way for a United States of Europe. Bill Clinton was involved, I don't remember exactly how.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

His theory was that these newly seceded states would be controlled by the German/US NWO puppetmasters and would use their influence in the EU to forward their evil agenda while the large states who were seceded from (mainly the UK and Spain) or weakened through decentralization (France) wouldn't be strong enough to resist them. Just what the evil agenda the Germans and Americans are working towards he didn't say.

e: He also claimed that modern versions of languages like Catalan, Corsican and Breton were artificially created at various points in the 20th century by these NWO puppetmasters and have exactly no relation to the "real" versions that were spoken in the past. The guy was really crazy and really adamant about it.

Soviet Commubot has a new favorite as of 14:28 on Jul 21, 2014

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'm a rich white guy and i can't get financial aid because my parents make to much money. I feel for all my (white,rich)brothers and sisters out there that can't get a helping hand in their education because their parents are cheap asses that don't want to give you the money you need that you know they have

Fight the disease,not the syntoms:arghfist: :(

When I was at university in the States I had people telling me that if I hadn't gone into the Army I wouldn't have had any financial aid because I'm white. My family's net come (we were farmers so the gross and net are pretty different) was something like $8k so I'm sure we'd have tons of financial aid. Couldn't convince dumb white middle class people of this though.

BonHair posted:

Is Obama Irish now? Because last I checked he was indonesian...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HplZ_taHXLM

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Low-hanging fruit and all, but from the comments section on some article about this.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I've always been pretty good friends with my cousins and still talk to them pretty often, even though we're all in our 30s and some of us live out of state. I had no idea this was apparently so uncommon.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

karl fungus posted:

What is even the point of radio anymore? Like, why do I need to sit through ads for songs I probably don't want to hear, played in an inconvenient order for me, when I can just grab an MP3 player and listen to them whenever I feel like it, as many times as I want, with no interruption?

In some niche markets it does ok. I listen to the radio to listen to local news from a local perspective in the local language, all of which are kinda hard to find in the heavily Paris-centric French media market. If it weren't for all three of those factors I probably really wouldn't listen to radio at all. It helps that they have pretty decent shows too. I just looked at their Facebook page and all their posts are about upcoming shows so that probably says a lot.

As for content, I see artifacted images a lot but god drat, how did they do this and what did the original look lik?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

^^^^^^
:catstare:

Cross posting from the DnD crazy emails thread, it's probably the most racist thing I've personally seen on Facebook. Not the OP itself but two of the other people, Al Dente and Moe Thegrass.

Soviet Commubot posted:

"Al Dente" here is that Kelly cartoon about talking about race made flesh. I don't actually know any of these people, a friend liked the OP but they appear to be all middle aged white people from western Oregon.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Uuuuuugh, I loathe this tripe.

My aunt posts those and "I'm so crazy!" poo poo constantly. I ended up taking her off of my feed because she spends at least 12 hours a day on Facebook, mostly sharing poo poo like that.

A lot of my old Army buddies are :flashfap: over the idea of fighting ISIS, particularly without those pesky rules like "don't shoot people who shouldn't be shot". A lot of these guys are so dumb I don't know if by "home ground" on this first one he means in the IS or in the US.

And don't forget Rambo in this second one. I'm sure he'd kill hundreds of ISIS fighters.

I decided to look at his page and see what he was all about and I wasn't sure if I was being trolled or not.

So I looked at his wall and the most recent posts I could see had these pictures.

The last one is where I was finally sure he wasn't just being ironic.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

casual poster posted:

Isn't the saying m'urica supposed to be people mocking the ultra-patriotic? Is he kind of just missing the joke? I have a friend who will hashtag merica, followed by a hashtagged america. This pisses me off to no end and I don't really know why.

Some of the ultra-patriotic people I know have been using the mocking "'merica" double-ironically for a while now.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I've enjoyed watching the guy who posted this slowly slide into complete insanity since the 2008 election.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

Did... did he just imply that Pearl Harbor was a false flag? :pwn:

This dude thinks that literally everything bad is a false flag. It's been entertaining to watch him go from politically apathetic to Ron Paul 2008 "I like weed" libertarian to full on Paulbot and finally to a place where Infowars isn't quite crazy enough for him.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Goosed it. posted:

Why is Facebook offering to translate that emoticon? I wonder what Facebook thinks it means in English.

Facebook seems to randomly offer to translate things that it definitely can't translate. I read a few pages in Breton, for which there's no automatic translator on the Internet, and it constantly does this.

Hmm, what happens if I click this?

That extra o in "zo" certainly would clear things up if I didn't speak the language, thanks Facebook!

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

Maybe it just detects that the text is not in your preferred language rather than checking whether or not it's possible to translate.

I imagine that's what it does but it seems to do it at random. Only maybe a quarter of the non-English posts get the translation button option.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

kith_groupie posted:

Does the military just let stuff like this happen? I can't imagine he'd get away with that.

Given that the dude seems to have a beard I have my doubts as to whether he's a US soldier. Generally the people who are allowed to have beards are also people who would know better than to do dumb poo poo like that. Of course he could have a medical reason not to shave but that's pretty rare.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

This might be totally, totally wrong, but hasn't there been some sort of exemption to the normal uniform rules re beards while fighting in the middle east? I remember reading an article on Al Jazeera that the a lot of the locals have a hard time taking clean-shaven men seriously and it was having some effect on reconstruction efforts, so some organisations have loosened up their uniform regs to let their men be bearded. Not sure if that included the Americans though.

I've been out for a few years now but the last time I deployed in 2008 the only people who were authorized to have beards were Special Forces, which is who I was referring to when I mentioned people who would know better. People do go without shaving for a while, as the poster above mentioned but it only happens in relatively extreme situations and it's technically not authorized.

Wasabi the J posted:

What's shittier is those poor fucks that get stuck in remote places often come back to bigger bases for re-supply or whatever, and some dickhead with rank comes up to them and gives them a ration of poo poo because they equate authoritarianism with leadership.

I remember in 2003 going to Baghdad to get supplies because the LOGPAC convoy that was supposed to bring us our stuff earlier in the week had got blown up. I hadn't bathed with anything but baby wipes in 4 months because were only allotted 1.5L of water per person per day and I got yelled at by some rear end in a top hat colonel in a pressed uniform because my uniform was dirty and I had a bit of stubble. He wanted to talk to my commander, who I pointed out and I never saw him again but I can't even begin to express how bizarre and surreal the whole experience was.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

My favorite argument for "the principle" I've heard is "If I can't get hosed up when I bust my rear end, why do they deserve to get hosed up while they don't even have a job?" Not coincidentally, I've heard this most from ex-stoners.

It drives me insane that their solution is "That other guy should be poo poo on too" rather than "They should stop making GBS threads on me".

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Whiteycar posted:

Whose phone number starts with zero?

All French people.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Knormal posted:

Under the Articles of Confereration maybe, but don't think anyone's considered states that independent since around 1800. The countries in the UK have a lot more unique identities than our states.

US states do have a great deal more political autonomy than UK home countries though. And there are US states with very strong identities even if they aren't necessarily the same thing as European identities.

HonorableTB posted:

Scotland is for all practical purposes an independent country, Wales is not. Also Wales has been integrated into England for a much larger time period whereas the Act of Union was in the 18th century and if I remember British history correctly, it was a Scottish queen from the House of Stuart doing the uniting. Scotland was in a much more favorable position than Wales, who was utterly conquered and stomped into the ground.

Welsh history is incredibly depressing, and I say this as a guy who lives in Brittany, whose history is also really depressing.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Also, they are still a semi-independent state with their own army, parliament, and language.

The only one of those things we have is the last one, which only a small minority (of which I am one) speak. There's a "parliament" building in Rennes but it's actually an appeals court for the regular French judicial system.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

kannonfodder posted:

I'll admit that my knowledge of this topic in Europe is pretty limited, but I find it hard to believe that anyone can outdo the US. What with their prison system designed to profit off of the arrest of black teens, and with near daily murders of black people by cops (who then don't get slightly punished).

But like I said, I don't hear too much coming from Europe, other than English complaining about immigrants.

Make a thread in pretty much any subforum about Roma people (don't do this), you'll see normally reasonable Europeans turn into caricatures of Klan members pretty much instantly.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

:stare: This is literally the first time I've heard of dogecoin and having googled it it's even dumber than I thought.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Ratspeaker posted:

The Onion has a paywall? That's news to me.

It does for people outside of the US.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Aphtonites posted:

Man, I'm cool :c00lbert:

My too cool and my selfish.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

So I got a friend request from an old high school friend, so since I haven't seen or heard anything from him in about 14 years I thought I'd take a look at his timeline to see what he's been up to. Turns out he's a youth preacher or whatever they're called and he's one of those that tries really hard to be cool to appeal to the kids these days. I won't post any pictures of him but he dresses how rural white people (which is what he is) imagine black people dress with a Fubu hat and a gigantic gold cross chain.

He's got some pretty dumb political opinions, which is unsurprising.

But oh, what's this?

Oh man

That was several months ago and didn't seem to go anywhere, but as luck would have it, while I was taking a coffee break from collecting these he sent out another call (at almost 4AM his time) to spread the good word through rural white guy rap. I hope we at least get a YouTube video out of this one.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I've heard that you technically can hold the magazine but I'm not sure if you really should.

Then again I'm not reaching for a goddamn assault rifle if I hear my cat knock something over during the night.

In 2000 I was taught to hold the rifle by the heat guards along the barrel but then when I went back in the Army in 2007 I was told to hold it by the magazine well because some people were pulling the rifle so hard to try to stabilize it they'd bend the barrel slightly and screw up the ballistics. Really though it doesn't matter. The way he's got his elbows tucked it looks to me the way soldiers have been taught since sometime between 2004 and 2008 so I imagine he either learned from the Army or he's a dedicated military cosplayer who pays attention to detail.

All that putting aside how loving stupid it would be to go shooting an AK in a residential area unless you don't care about putting holes in anything or anyone that might be behind the evil bad guy while you're living out your childish action man fantasy.

e: Even then putting aside the dumb idea of shooting a guy over a TV.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Amused to Death posted:

:byodame:

"If only they'd let us regular people run things" *dies from ebola after not doing what the smarty pants as the CDC told them to do*

I wasn't aware that most of Africa had Ebola. Huh.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

Having grown up in the 90s, I find it hilarious how kids these days wish they grew up when I did - when I was growing up, everyone wishes they grew up back in the 80s and how better everything was back then. I'll laugh when in twenty years kids wish they coulda grown up back in the 2010s.

I don't know, it makes a lot of sense to me at least in Michigan where I grew up because in the 90s there was actually hope for most young people to get a decent job and have a future. The economy was poo poo in the 80s and after 9/11 so the 90s was pretty much the sweet spot for everything not being poo poo. I grew up in the 90s and we were pretty thankful not to have grown up in the 80s.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

A rural white lady gets wrong number texts in the middle of the night intended for a "drug guy", decides they need a lesson in life, etiquette and English.

You might be forgiven for thinking she's in her 60s or so but she's 32

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Spalec posted:

I see 'drinking from the garden hose' mentioned a lot in those dumb nostalgic memes. Is this something lots of kids did and was there a big push to stop it in the 90's or something? Do people really miss the days they could have a swig of nasty water from a dirty hose?

Lots of kids did it and lots of kids do it now. People get nostalgic for it because they associate it with playing outside in the summer as kids.

e: All the young kids in my extended family still do it but that's largely because pretty much everyone I'm related to and has kids is poor as poo poo and aren't about to buy bottled water when there's perfectly good tap water available.
VVVVVVVVVVV

Soviet Commubot has a new favorite as of 14:56 on Oct 29, 2014

• Locked thread