Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Deltasquid posted:

What the hell does cultural marxism even mean? It seems to just be a buzz word that gets thrown around to say "I do not like [thing]".

It's origin, as a slur, is a conspiracy theory from a US fundamentalist Christian Preacher (I forget the name) that states immigration and political correctness are a ploy to use muslims to destroy western civilisation (the oldest versions of this conspiracy theory explicitly states the Jews are behind this plot) so it can reliably used as an indicator the person is either an idiot or a massive arsehole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

UKIP is the gift that keeps on giving.

I'm not homophobic I've been called gay? Well that's a new spin on the usual "I have [insert minority here] friends" defence at least.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

soggywaffles posted:

It's more like saying "I'm not racist, because another white guy totally called me the N-word. So I know how it feels to be black, so I can't be racist".

Well sure but that's not a common defence against accusations of bigotry. I was categorising them together because denial through a spurious justification, either having minority friends or having been called gay, which somehow excuses openly bigoted behaviour is really common.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Segmentation Fault posted:

Re: Macklemore Jew Costume, not an idiot on Facebook but close enough:

Why is there a picture of Michael Moore on there?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Because, Michaelmoore is insensitive.

But like why did they make that joke(?). It seems like a stupid and pointless reference to make just cos macklemoore's surname sounds a bit like Michael Moore.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Afraid of Audio posted:

It's from a parody account that makes fun of forwards your older relatives make on facebook, in emails.

In short, :thejoke:

Ah ok, none of my older relatives are on facebook so I've been missing out on that particular experience.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

This person is a Guardian journalist and respected feminist speaker.

No, I'm being serious.

Kinda ironic, given that she was one of the people who was celebrating the people threatening Caroline Criado-Perez being jailed (which was a Good Thing, I should point out).

Implicitly threatening to beat/possibly kill lib dem voters is perhaps the least offensive opinion she's had about anything.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

Given her massive hate for certain Lib Dems, it's probably more out of a hatred for them than the party.

Oh of course, yes well more fool me for not realising since it was her opinion it was actually something terrible.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

grittyreboot posted:

These are all from the same guy.

Haha a friend of mine posted the second one on her feed, she's a teacher.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It might be heavy-handed but it's actually got the right of it. I don't know how it is in other countries, but in America it's mostly about memorization and recitation of whatever you're presented with. Our history books are white-washed, our science books have pages torn from them, our literature is sanitized, or government and economic courses talk about how lovely everyone else has it but don't challenge our own systems at all. Teachers who toe the line are in danger of reprimand or termination. Critical thinking is often neither rewarded nor encouraged.

Now, I'm sure there are some sensible school districts out there and things are worse in some areas of the country than others. Private schools are often worse, because they have much looser standards of education. Still, public schooling as a whole is hosed and I don't blame your teacher friend for being bitter about it.

Oh my parents were teachers as well as quite a few of my others friends; I know how miserable they all are and don't blame them. Education policy in the UK is and has been pretty terrible for decades, they are in the process of actively undermining public education to ease the progression of privatisation and every year the media talks about how easy exams are nowadays and awful and lazy teachers are. I still find it funny that a teacher would post it though.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

Go get some sun, Frodo.

But take that thing off first.

Eh I'd say he's more of a gollum.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Transmogrifier posted:

It was yesterday and I did exactly that, as well as linking to the one from Tennessee. All he did was talk about how the tests aren't reliable because "everyone can pass a scheduled drug test when money is involved," and those who passed the tests just weren't showing up positive because of that. He also claimed he knew a guy who took a drug test within 24 hours of doing a bunch of drugs and he came up clean while citing that 90% of the people he knew on welfare were also on drugs. :suicide: I just gave up on him.

The other usual counter argument I've seen is that it doesn't matter if it's a waste of money it's the principle that matters, the principle being people who claim welfare should be punished and humiliated I guess.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Knormal posted:

American posting here so I may be wrong, but aren't England and Wales still under the same parliment while Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own?

Wales has an assembly, which is a devolved governing body with limited powers similar to the Scottish parliament.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

SybilVimes posted:

It's also an incredibly recent thing, and not likely to lead to an independant wales in anything like the near future.

Scottish and welsh devolution happened at the same time, 1998, you're right there's nowhere near as much support for independence in Wales though.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Captain Lavender posted:

Where the hell did clowns come from anyway?! Is it a hand-me-down from the French or something?

They are... just the worst.

According to wikipedia the earliest clowns known were from 2400 BC Egypt.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Praseodymi posted:

Isn't that a Coldplay lyric?

Yes, it's from yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Gimnbo posted:

So people will never stop doing it.

The dark age is a cool name, facts just can't compete with that.

• Locked thread