Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PutinOnTheRitz
Oct 25, 2010

SybilVimes posted:

non-halal and halal meat are killed exactly the same way except for the presence of someone/a-recording saying 'allah' when the animal is killed.

You (and many others) are conflating "dhabihah halal" and "halal", "dhabihah halal" meat cannot be stunned.

When meat is sold as 'halal' is it almost always NOT dhabihah halal, and thus has been killed exactly the same way as non-halal meat.

It can be convienient to conflate the two forms of halal, because it makes muslims look worse, when most muslims do not care about the super strict fundamentalist definition of halal.

This poo poo again. (At least) In Canada, all halal meat "dhabihah" or otherwise, is not stunned before it is killed, whereas non-halal meat is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PutinOnTheRitz
Oct 25, 2010
Edit - Wrong report, used UK stats

PutinOnTheRitz has a new favorite as of 04:24 on May 9, 2014

PutinOnTheRitz
Oct 25, 2010
I'm a dummy, those are UK stats. Canada approves of non-conscious slaughter within strict circumstances: Canadian Meat Inspection Regulations 1990 (SOR/90-288), section 77

quote:

77. Despite section 79, every food animal that is ritually slaughtered in accordance with Judaic or Islamic law shall be restrained and slaughtered by means of a cut resulting in rapid, simultaneous and complete severance of the jugular veins and carotid arteries, in a manner that causes the animal to lose consciousness immediately.

Emphasis mine. This is the part that most slaughterhouses don't come up to par on, and therefore won't bother trying to produce kosher/halal products. It's drat hard to bleed something out quickly without contaminating drat near everything, even if you've done it hundreds of times a day. (Having personally cut a cow's neck and seen how these slaughter procedures are performed in person, it is quick but definitely more distressing than the alternative.)

PutinOnTheRitz
Oct 25, 2010

Lobsterpillar posted:

Its tasty, but also a good way to get food poisoning.

Boyfriend is a health inspector, This is as per his schooling: Raw milk is perfectly fine, assuming it's from a healthy cow with a clean udder, goes into a clean container, and is consumed the same day. The problem comes from city folk who are used to keeping milk in the fridge for a few days, which gives the nasty stuff time to flourish. Farmers and their kids who drink raw are accustomed to drinking fresh milk daily, and just dumping what they don't use.

PutinOnTheRitz has a new favorite as of 19:20 on May 30, 2014

PutinOnTheRitz
Oct 25, 2010

Junius posted:

This has got to be fake, it's too perfect a bingo.

Not to say people like this don't exist, though :-(

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was real.

I'm in the process of screencapping some of the more interesting "conversations" I've had come to my cosplay page. I've never said a word to this guy, and he's been at this over a year:

PutinOnTheRitz has a new favorite as of 17:08 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PutinOnTheRitz
Oct 25, 2010
The "September" is from 2012, and the "July" date is from last month. He has literally been messaging me (on my personal facebook page too, somehow he got my real name) for over 2 years, never saying more than "hi". It's not so much creepy as it is impressive in terms of dedication at this point. I honestly think he forgets he's messaged me before.

• Locked thread