Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
So, my roommate and I have been doing 200cc a lot lately. In 150 cc we're usually pretty even, however, in 200cc I'm beating him pretty much every time. We found the reason. I'm using the main controller and he's using a wiimote and nunchuck. The main element he's lacking is that he can't figure out how to break, so he's not able to make a lot of the tight corners. Rainbow Road is just a complete disaster for him. . We looked up the controls and it says that the B button is the break. But the B button is the hop/drift button. How does that work? Is there a way to brake using the wiimote and nunchuck while drifting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Couldn't you just press all the buttons to find out what does what? You could also try pressing the Home button during play and looking up the electronic manual.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Maple Leaf posted:

Couldn't you just press all the buttons to find out what does what? You could also try pressing the Home button during play and looking up the electronic manual.

Tried that. None of the buttons seem to brake. The manual says that B is brake. But B is also hop/drift and has to be held down in order to drift.

So... it seems that it's impossible to drift brake using wiimote+nunchuck. Which sucks because with my selection of controllers, all but one person has to use that controller setup.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Master Twig posted:

Tried that. None of the buttons seem to brake. The manual says that B is brake. But B is also hop/drift and has to be held down in order to drift.

So... it seems that it's impossible to drift brake using wiimote+nunchuck. Which sucks because with my selection of controllers, all but one person has to use that controller setup.

On the Wii U Gamepad, holding the joystick DOWN will cause the kart to break/reverse. So, perhaps that will work on the Nunchuck as well? Try that.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Spectacle Rock posted:

On the Wii U Gamepad, holding the joystick DOWN will cause the kart to break/reverse. So, perhaps that will work on the Nunchuck as well? Try that.

We'll give it a try, but how do you do that while also steering your drift? Maybe a diagonal? Still, seems like a really poor oversight on Nintendo's part.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

When you're using the wiimote+nunchuck, B is drift when you're holding the accelerator and brake when you aren't. Since you need to use all three at once to brake without killing your drift, this is impossible with that controller setup. If you want to do well at 200cc you'll have to shell out for another controller, sorry :(

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Suaimhneas posted:

When you're using the wiimote+nunchuck, B is drift when you're holding the accelerator and brake when you aren't. Since you need to use all three at once to brake without killing your drift, this is impossible with that controller setup. If you want to do well at 200cc you'll have to shell out for another controller, sorry :(

They changed the controls for the Wiimote+Nunchuck with thw 200cc update, I forget what they did but they made it so you can brake while drifting with that setup.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They changed the controls for the Wiimote+Nunchuck with thw 200cc update, I forget what they did but they made it so you can brake while drifting with that setup.

My wife ran into this problem. Unfortunately, they added independent braking to the wiimote by itself, but not wiimote+nunchuk. It's really a pain for 200cc.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ziddar posted:

My wife ran into this problem. Unfortunately, they added independent braking to the wiimote by itself, but not wiimote+nunchuk. It's really a pain for 200cc.

Yeah, I tried it after posting that and it sucks. I still won a few races though!

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
One race in 200cc and my hands fell off, Jesus Christ I'm getting old

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
fruitpunch, are you using a Wii U Pro Controller? If not, go buy one and I think that will fix your problems. Playing with almost any other control scheme is kind of painful. Pro Controller feeeeels so good! Totally worth the $50. Just do it!

Tilt Controls with Wii Remote: Wrists get tired, too much movement.
Wii U Gamepad: Too bad, bulky, can't hold too comfortably.
Wii Remote + Nunchuck: Inefficient for Mario Kart.
Wii U Pro Controller: YAY!

I cannot render judgement for a Classic Controller, but it is probably okay. But, the Wii U Pro Controller is just great; solid investment.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I have one, yeah, but for the reasons you mentioned, i felt obliged to let my wife use that one. I usually find the gamepad really comfortable though so I've been willing to put that down to 200cc being for people with young hands :v:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Spectacle Rock posted:

Wii U Gamepad: Too bad, bulky, can't hold too comfortably.

How do people manage to screw this up with some frequency?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

LethalGeek posted:

How do people manage to screw this up with some frequency?

They are the hapless folk in greyscale in television commercials.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I actually love the gamepad. It's the most comfortable controller I've ever used. Any other controller forces your wrist into an uncomfortable angle, but because of how wide the gamepad is, it is a lot more ergonomic.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's also far and away the best controller, seeing as you can use it to see other people's items.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It's also far and away the best controller, seeing as you can use it to see other people's items.

I prop it up in front of me so it's below the TV in my line of vision and use the Pro controller. It works pretty good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Yorkshire Tea posted:

And honk while carrying items.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Why the gently caress is nobody talking about the still awesome Wii U racing game Mario Kart 8

I randomly picked it up again a few days ago since months ago when the last DLC hit. It's amazing how even after not playing in months knowing exactly where and when to turn and slide and all those reflexes are still there, yet I can barely remember what the hell I did 3 days ago.

gently caress the people who constantly do their little bunny hops online though, that poo poo is stupid

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I feel yah but at the same time splatoon is amazing and I'm better at that than I am at kart sooooooo welp

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Random fun fact: By holding a shoulder button when selecting the Animal Crossing track, you can force pick which season variation is used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHRAv6GLrkk

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Alright, for anyone curious, I did a bit of amiibo suit experimentation and here are my findings:

Animal Crossing cards DON'T unlock the animal crossing suit
Zero Suit Samus DOES unlock the Samus suit
Gold & Silver Mario DO unlock the Mario suit
Toon Link DOES unlock the Link suit
All three Woolly Yoshis DO unlock the Yoshi suit.
Dr. Mario DOES unlock the Mario Suit.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

jivjov posted:

Random fun fact: By holding a shoulder button when selecting the Animal Crossing track, you can force pick which season variation is used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHRAv6GLrkk

I have yet to even see the winter version and was completely unaware of this feature.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Hey, I just got this game off Amazon for $25. Am I gonna be having problems with hakers?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

No. The Wii U isn't widely hacked like the 3DS is so online games are safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I wish my dad would not hack in mario kart.

Honestly, it's embarassing.

• Locked thread